It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the mainstream media starting to report ufo sightings again?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I wish there were a silver bullet to explain these things. I don't think we can dispute that money is being made here. With online news replacing to a significant extent the printed media little wonder there is ongoing collapse of the newspaper industry. People are reading less and surfing more. The new real estate for billboards, is the PC screen, as well as even cellphone and mobile devices. Thats where the dollars are going, and thats where real events reported and yes the huxters and hoaxters, made up of not just individuals, but groups that can setup their own sites, collude with legitimate sites even , and are now part of the mix here.
What we need to do, as a suggestion only , is relook at what we call MSM.
Can someoneone at the top of warnerbros who makes movies, or sony, or another and by shares in let us say SCi Fi channel, or the History channel, or even a newspaper group, or radio group, which do documentaries and films, affect what we see or is reported.? In effect the reality of not only Ufology and the paranormal, but the essence of News itself?. By plot, design, or Synergistically, imo, I think they can and they do.
Just as a handful of people , can in a small room drinking their aqua fina bottled water, decide what color or pattern and shape, this years shirt, tie or dress will be.

The Caret hoax, was born online in a craigs list adv ie in a column, "casual encounters" not on a mufon report.
Mufon itself, with its database, has ream after ream of interesting and often bizarre sighting seemed to partake in of whats best for us as its news by registering a the trademark UFO hunters, in competition with sci fi channel, and partnership with a Historychannel, which in the past also worked with Earthfiles LMH. This bizarre scenario, was interesting for the financial interests, that owned are behind the scenes there too. But you look into it. Its not my intent here to do an expose, but rather, advise that you look not to the lead singer, but take a closer look at the choir, and band player as well. If you take a few steps back, you will be able to tell the forests from the trees.

In this "business" and, after all that is what the MSN or the NEW MSM is, whether we like it or not, its best to do like we do,or should be doing, to polticians, look beyond the soundbytes and one liners, and look at their history their record and affiliations. It should be no less for ufology, or the paranormal.

^i^

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I thought government agencies were supposed to make all kinds of cover-up stories for all that stuff. Has the government's agenda changed? Do they now want people to know that ET's exist and that they are flying in our skies and that we aren't alone in the universe? Do you think the government is setting us up for something big?

Sounds like the governments controls all the media and set the policies toward the UFO issues, but that's not so. The UFO topic has become a corrupted file with about 98 % of all reported sightings and video/photographic evidence being either a hoax or a case of a gross misidentification or intentional misidentification. The UFO topic is no longer something that could possibly disturb the mainstream folks, and many editors feel free to ease the self-imposed censorship to spice up some of the pages with a UFO-related topic.

There are occasions though when an eyebrow raiser gets through:

CIO -> www.msnbc.msn.com...

"A Ministry of Defense spokesman, who spoke on condition of anonymity as required by government policy, confirmed that military officials had investigated the reports from the first weekend in June to make sure there was no hostile military action threatening the United Kingdom."

LMAO. Are you kidding me? Does it really take to turn a nice, sunny afternoon into "Independence Day" and evaporate the Buckingham Palace for the RAF brass to detect a hostile intent?

The MoD just admitted that it's okay for the aliens to violate British air space as long as they behave. LMAO 2x.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Try this one:

In the UK we have a hugely unpopular prime minister - everyone's baying for his blood, even members of his own party.

Just recently secret 30 year old files detailing some UFO activity have been opened.

Parliament recesses in late July and re-convenes in early October.

That gives us all a break from politicians.

If the PM can hang onto power for the next few weeks, he will have all of the summer to drum up support, or if he's lucky, people's memories might be short. If he can ride out the current storm, he could keep his job.

If you were him, and bear in mind he isn't as good at spin as his pre-decesser, what might you do to divert the public?

Remember the Romans' bread and circuses.

Well, this guy is too cheap to give us the bread, but he can cobble together a shoddy circus.

Old files that someone else did all the work on and a few members of the public able to supply pictures of UFOs. Put that together and politics will be right off the front pages of the tabloids.

Would one man break the secrecy over UFOs just to save his career?
In this case, I'd guess 'yes'. The rotten government we've got at the moment would do (and jeopardise) anything to stay in power.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
[edit on 29-6-2008 by berenike]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Sys_Config

you got something there...

its like the MSM is turning to 'yellow journalism' for the reason of perking up interest and selling more copies,
as the folks hope & expect that 'this' story will be the tipping-point of proof
---
only to find a lot more mumbo-jumbo, and dispondently return to their web surfing-> as it (the internet) is preceived as a more real, substantial and intimate news source.

thanks,

[edit on 29-6-2008 by St Udio]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

What kind of secrecy?

It was Kenneth Arnold, not Harry Truman who saw the works in the state of Washington back in 1947, and the words "flying saucer" were not coined by the US military. The bulk of the evidence that has developed into the UFO subject was always in public hands, not in the hands of any government. The "secretive government" was invented much later by various UFO conspirators probably on the advice of their book publishers.

Isn't it a bit coincidental that shortly after MoD made their "UFO files" available to the public, UFO stories began to appear in the British media?

That must have been an embarrassing moment for the UFO conspirators who eagerly sifted through the released material not to find one case of British Strategic Air Defense tracking objects that couldn't be possibly planes. Perhaps the MoD forgot to include those. But the MoD would surely inform Downing Street about that, right?

There is no UFO without the government hiding the truth, is there?

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

In the UK we have a hugely unpopular prime minister - everyone's baying for his blood, even members of his own party.

God he must be in a bad state if he needs UFO s and Et s to keep him in power! Good point though take our eye off just how bad he is.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Stander.

My post is not as well worded as I would have liked.

I thought I had made a draft that I could come back to later and re-jig. Instead it has made its way into this thread unjigged.

As far as ufos go, I am as much in the dark as most members of the public.

By 'secrecy' I meant that there are things flying about that go unidentified until we find out it's some secret American aircraft....

So until we are told, all strange objects are 'unidentified'.

I have no idea what ufos are. I am willing to accept they could be craft for anyone from aliens, to secret nazis living in the South Pole, to the Americans. Or they really could all be weather balloons.

Let's say they are experimental aircraft or little green men. My point was that our PM would take advantage of the release of 30 year old files and a spate of sightings to get his awful self and government off the front pages.

Regardless of whether or not he gave away secrets about experimental aircraft or caused mass panic by allowing people to think we were about to be invaded.

This probably isn't the place to air my disgust at the shower in power, but hey, they deserve a kick at every opportunity. And I could be right.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by berenike]

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's interesting that former astronauts are now speaking openly about their encounters with UFOs- Cooper, Armstrong, Buz A and others. They had been sworn to secrecy by the government. If the government really didn't want them to talk they would destroy them - literally.

The government can't keep a lid on it anymore. It's all over you-tube and the internet!! Also, 2012 is fast approaching.

The Catholic church just admitted there could be UFOs. Smart move, so they won't look like a bunch of liars. Even in their ancient art- paintings, tapestries, etc there are definite flying saucers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join