It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity 'could die out within a century'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter

Christianity 'could die out within a century

That's great to hear. Seriously, I'll give that a big ironic Amen.

Somehow I feel like the Christians will be paying this thread a visit soon...and also ironically, they will feel the need to defend their religion here to "save us" from eternal damnation.

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

Well I seemed to have found a posting I just couldn't resist.

Did you mean to sound ignorant and include all Christians?

Do you think all of "us" feel some need to save you from damnation? Uh, what exactly does this damnation include? Do you believe in some fairy tale hell? I think you and the Christian fundamentalist have more in common than you care to admit.

Maybe I am being unfair with you? Did you mean to say, "somehow I feel that the "Bible thumpers" will be paying this thread a visit" or did you mean Christians like me that read threads like this the same way we read threads about Obama being the anti Christ or Muslim or 2012 is the end of the world or there is going to be a civil war or the NWO is taking over or the Illuminati or the Mason's or any other "fun" nonesense. This is fun entertainment for some of us Christians.

Some threads we read to get informed about finding proof about other creations of God in the universe.

Some threads we read to learn more about politics, science, inventions, cultures, news we can't find on the mainstream news sources.

Do you feel a need to defend McCain? or Bush? or Obama? Do you feel a need to defend your Republican or Democrats. Do you feel a need to defend your Country? or are you one of those that is out there for yourself?

So when the whack jobs "so called" Christians show up, which they probably have, since I stopped reading when I got to your post. so when they show up, should they not defend their faith? Is there anything you are willing to defend or are you a sniveling coward. What do you care about?

If you came out against Muslims, I would be all over you. If you came out against America I would be all over you. Blacks, Jews, etc..... I will come after you intolerant ignorant people every chance I get. I will expose you for what you are.

Maybe I will find another moron to out as I read on further.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
...I...I...am shocked. A lot of you bring up some good points. A lot of you are also kind of arrogant and hypocritical. Take a look at what you're writing. The vast majority of people are doing exactly what they were bitching about earlier in the post...FIGHTING OVER RELIGION!

It is futile to fight over religion. Look at History. Does it really matter? Someone could use the "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy" as a "Bible" and it shouldn't matter. As long as that person was happy and not hurting anyone, leave him/ her be. We all have to find our own path and our meaning in life...and fighting over whose invisible man(or woman) has the biggest stick won't get you anywhere.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I agree with you to an extent, and like the way you express yourself.

BUT, please go easy on things like your last line where you said "moron" as it can be too easily misconstrued.

Just my tuppence worth

[edit on 21/6/2008 by budski]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

thats one thing i don't like about religion.

every religion points the finger at another religion...it's sad, and has to make up lies and jokes to make other religions that are not theirs more demeaning and so forth.

to me Christianity is one of the biggest mind controlling religions this planet has to offer. what's better then taking god out of man and putting it in a church where you must go to to listen to someones interpretation of the bible and not your own. take away the individuality of everyone, and tell them that anyone who says different then us MUST be going to hell. put your trust in someone that you don't know and never met. take spirituality out of yourself.

God is seemed to be more of a burden rather then a blessing in Christianity

Jesus must be doing cartwheels in his grave

I'm sure he didn't want things to be this way

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If we are to see the end of Christianity soon, then all I can say is "Thank God!"

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bushidomason

First of all yes I'm sure Jesus is pretty unhappy with us. Second is that everything I said about Mohammad is fact. He slept with children and waged many wars not to mention his wife being on record as calling him a tyrant. Doesn't sound so peaceful to me!! It is also funny how Islam was created to spite the Jews and that can be proved in how Islam is based off of the Torah yet with their own sick twist. Kind of like a bad rip off of a movie.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Torsten
Someone could use the "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy" as a "Bible" and it shouldn't matter. As long as that person was happy and not hurting anyone, leave him/ her be.

But that's NOT the case.

Say, for example that I choose to use the Hitchhikers Guide as a bible for my family, friends and I. Say, I wish to start the religion, following it and spreading its message, based on the founding principle that 9*6=42 (in base 13)... Will I be granted tax exemptions like other religions are? Will I get all of the concessions that mainstream religions receive? No, I won't. I can't claim my household to be a church for my religion, so I won't get any concessions for council rates and other utility bills.

Let's take it a step further... I know lots of highschools where Muslim girls are exempt from wearing skirts in PhysEd classes. They are allowed to wear trackpants, along with the hood that covers their head. Would a child of mine be permitted to wear a Dressing Gown and Pyjamas to school, as part of the doctrine of the Hitchhiker's religious dress code? No way! There is no way that my child could turn up to school with a toy Babel Fish in his ear, which would be a holy relic in my religion.

Religions are extremely predjudiced. The exemption laws for religions are unfair and biased.

Furthermore... the Australian government once warned the population about writing down "Jedi" for their religion on the four-yearly national census forms. The goverment went as far as stating that people could be fined for supplying false or misleading information on the census forms. Why can't Jedi be a valid religion? It identifies with many more modern-day people than any of the antiquated religions can ever hope to do. I have enough Star Wars pop-culture items in my house to claim that I do worship at a Jedi Temple on a daily basis - so where is my tax exemption???

Don't anyone ever try and tell me that all is fair when religion is concerned. It's clearly not the case.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Budski, you are there once again to slap me. But....you are right again and it annoys me a tad.

I did read through more and didn't find as many "Christian" posters that I was going to have to slam....I mean...constructively disagree with.

Jason Nelson took care of one for me and appreciate it that I'm not here alone. I even liked the "bugger off" even though that wouldn't tech. be "Christian" of us to say.

But I really wish once and for all that some of you regulars to "religious" threads would use the correct terminology.

Religion: Christian, Muslim, etc.
Denomination: Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist etc.
Faith: what you believe or Christian without denomination for example.
Christ: son of God or savior. (the guy I responded to used Christ instead of Jesus, and I doubt he meant to)
Jesus: dude from Nazerath. (most of us Christians call him Christ too)

Some of you are saying "no sheet Sherlock" but you keep using the term "Christian" when you mean to attack the holy rollers or the Fundamentalist denominations. It is important that you make the distinction. Or you find me jumping stuff.

How would you like a Brit saying "hey you American baby killers why don't you go bloody bugger sodding off." (was that bad? I don't know how strong of language that is for Brits. Budski will kick my arse if it was) anyway, you hear that but they are only saying it because they hate our government. I bet you don't just shrug it off and say "oh, no problem mate, I'm sure you just meant our wanking President and not us Americans"
Well, that is how I feel when people attack "Christianity" that me and at least Jason Nelson embrace. I'm just suggesting that you direct your attacks a little better to the "denominations" or specific groups you have an issue with and not attack me and Jason's group, unless of course you mean to, and we can defend ourselves just fine.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Tezz, I was going to jump on you too a bit but then I got to the "Jedi" part and spewed a mouthful of beer on my computer screen. Now I have to figure out a way to get this sticky crap off of the keyboard and the screen is all smudged. You got me. You owned me on that. Jedi as a religion I don't know if I am laughing or crying about the mess I just literally made of my computer!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
Tezz, I was going to jump on you too a bit but then I got to the "Jedi" part and spewed a mouthful of beer on my computer screen.

Res Ispa, jump on me all that you like, within the terms and conditions of this website. I'm a big-boy and I've had the religion debate with many people around me. In the end, I quit, as I can't argue with zealots who are brainwashed to ignore common sense.

The trouble is that religious people only see the world from their blinkered point-of-view. So when someone like me asks why I can't have tax exempt status if I followed the Jedi religion, they are not able to respond with an intelligent reply. The Jedi religion is a religion of peace and self-respect. The Master Yoda speaketh far more truths than other false prophets do.

I'll take the tongue out of my cheek now and come back to the real world, where religious institutions permeate governments and lawmakers to discriminate against me. I don't expect religious people to see it, they're too far gone to recognise how predjudiced their cults really are.

I hope your screen cleans up ok. We all know how life is easily distorted when looking through the 'beer goggles'.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by Torsten
Someone could use the "Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy" as a "Bible" and it shouldn't matter. As long as that person was happy and not hurting anyone, leave him/ her be.

But that's NOT the case.

Say, for example that I choose to use the Hitchhikers Guide as a bible for my family, friends and I. Say, I wish to start the religion, following it and spreading its message, based on the founding principle that 9*6=42 (in base 13)... Will I be granted tax exemptions like other religions are? Will I get all of the concessions that mainstream religions receive? No, I won't. I can't claim my household to be a church for my religion, so I won't get any concessions for council rates and other utility bills.

Religions are extremely predjudiced. The exemption laws for religions are unfair and biased.

Don't anyone ever try and tell me that all is fair when religion is concerned. It's clearly not the case.

Sorry friend, I don't mean to butcher your post, but these are the parts I want to address.

For your issue with having a belief in a fictional book grant you religious status and a tax exemption? (Assuming you ran a church. I don't have a "Jesus Believer" box on my w-2's to check for a tax break) (Do you? Seriously.)

What about Scientology?

As for peoples attitudes towards varying faiths? Are they being fair? Probably not. But you seem to forget all of the problems that involve simple xenophobia. The Chinese closed themselves off for centuries, and religion had nothing to do with their mistrust.

My point? Attitudes towards others who have different ideas than you is most likely rooted in many factors . That said, peoples faiths will be treated in much the same manner as as any other indicator of differing values or beliefs. Skin color, economic status, educational background, and personal style can all have and inspire the same ill will and misconceptions spawned by religion. It is not unique to that end.

Secondly, due to the press given to the Ultra fanatics, (which happens to both parties.)you seem to carry this notion that all Christians are hypocrites who are out to cast hate and venom in your direction.

I want two things in my life.(regarding this topic)

For the true messages of all peoples faiths to finally be revealed, and revered, by those who employ their faith. The Major religions are beyond compassionate and peaceful, in their roots. Don't allow the editing to distort the story.
(I actually believe that the Contract God holds you accountable for is the one you were presented to sign. We don't all get the same one.)

Secondly, I want for people to realize that I cannot separate my faith from my life, and find it offensive that I should live in a society that believes a cornerstone of my life is "make believe" and "insignificant".

I wish I could start a church. "The Buddhist Jews for Jesus". You know, the structure of the jewish faith, the love and salvation of the christians, and the meditating calm that the buddhists employ.

Oh, and Res Ispa, thanks for noticing!

[edit on 21-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I actually know Frank Oz. I will tell him that you think him the wise prophet of your religion. He will love it. (I'm not mocking you)

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
even though my keys are sticking...(what the hell do they put into our beer) anyway, I didn't miss that last jab at me, even through the beer goggles.
I'm not sure at this point I have an issue with you or what you are saying, you and I might have some different opinions, I'm sure, but you aren't some ignorant ranter and I'm not prepared to whip out my light saber against you yet. ( I want to sneak an off topic suggestion to you, since you made me laugh spasticly, I want to return the favor. Have you seen the youtube video "Stevie Vai Shreds, StSanders Classic"? look it up and don't have any beer in your mouth!) and as I was saying Christianity will be dead by the year 2012 and all of the..... really dude watch it....and then it came to pass that all religions mourned their demise.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Tezz, I was going to jump on you too a bit but then I got to the "Jedi" part and spewed a mouthful of beer on my computer screen.

Drinking while defending the faith?

We might actually have something in common.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

So when the whack jobs "so called" Christians show up, which they probably have, since I stopped reading when I got to your post. so when they show up, should they not defend their faith? Is there anything you are willing to defend or are you a sniveling coward. What do you care about?

If you came out against Muslims, I would be all over you. If you came out against America I would be all over you. Blacks, Jews, etc..... I will come after you intolerant ignorant people every chance I get. I will expose you for what you are.

Maybe I will find another moron to out as I read on further.

I find it funny that I have not personally attacked anyone in defending my views, yet the main ones taking things to a personal level and attacking me are the "religious" ones. Am I the only one that finds this ironic?

But since you wanna take it to a personal level and feel the need to call me a moron for not seeing things from your narrow minded perspective, i may feel it necessary to paint a picture of what a nutjob you are. Go ahead and "expose me for what I am." Whatever you think that may be. I have put my views out in the open and there's not really much else to it. On the contrary I find people like yourself highly ignorant and intolerant and I don't feel the need to point it out any further because you've done a fine job of showing your ignorance yourself. Would you like to use some facts to support your religious holier than thou slander or would you like to have an intelligent discussion? It's people like you that make religion look bad by overbearing your holiness over those that do not agree. I find your hypocrisy astounding. Thank you Res Ipsa for helping my argument in how closed minded organized religion makes people. You are a textbook example. And I don't really have to lift a finger to "slam" you because you've done a great job of that for me!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Hey Mad!

Why are you so worked up about this man?
I haven't attacked you, and you didn't answer me.....

I think that the two of us have both pointed out that we are not part of the whole "organized religion" program.

Besides, wouldn't two wiccans hanging out talking about their faith then technically be an "organized" religion? They would have dogma, and structure.....

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Is Frank Oz still alive?? hmm, maybe it is Jimmy Hendrix I was....no wait it is Jim Henson that is dead.

Since I was a kid (this is for JasonNelson) I wanted to be a Jew for Jesus. But of course I was born a Scandanavian that can't spell. My Catholic nuns and priests thought I was a bit strange when I would say that, they also took issue with me wanting "Judus" as my Confirmation name. (Jesus Christ Superstar was huge to me when I was 6yrs old) I thought Judus got screwed and it turns out that he wasn't as bad as we were taught.....that is for a different thread or time maybe....but I am all for your new Buddist Jews for Jesus religion. Why not?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
For your issue with having a belief in a fictional book grant you religious status and a tax exemption?

Ah-huh. You claim that Star Wars is a fictional book... Typical to many religious people, they always have a comfortable fall-back position where THEIR book is non-fiction and that it's the only book which can be true, while all other books are a work of fiction. The blinkers attached to the eyes of many religious people only let them walk down the non-fiction aisle of the holy library to see their book sitting there above all others.

[sarcasm]How dare you blaspheme against the Jedi religion by insinuating that it is all spawned from a fictional book!!! The divine, holy George Lucas speaks to me in visions when I pray for the next installment of His wisdom. Episodes VII, VIII and IX will cleanse the Galaxy of evil, with the Republic and Senate banishing all those who worship false Gods.[/sarcasm]

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
What about Scientology?

What about Scientology? It's a cult like christianity, buddhism, hinduism and muslimism, etc.

The Australian Government would not permit me to start my own branch of Jedi religion. I could not claim to be a Sith Lord and attract an apprentice, while enjoying tax-free exemptions like other religious cults do. If you can't see the irony in that, then there's really nothing more that I can type for you.

Australian Universities have both Male AND Female muslim prayer rooms on their campuses. What chance would I have of asking for a dedicated Jedi Training room installed at each University? None. Discrimination.

I've made my point. I don't need to rehash it against every post made by religious people. I know there are people who agree with me and we are a minority. We watch the world spiral into a mess, thanks to all of the holy books ending up on the wrong shelf, non-fiction instead of fiction.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

If you'll notice in a previous post of mine, I actually commended you for not bashing folks and even starred you.

On the other hand, JasonJNelson gave an awesome argument that I feel merrited a star because he didn't try to use his religion as ammunition to fire back, which is what it should be all about.

People like Res Ipsa p*ss me off, and embody everything that's wrong with religion because they like to call others "morons" who do not agree with them and think their views are the only correct views. It wouldn't surprise me if him and Yahn Goodey were off havin some beers, makin a list of everybody that doesn't agree with their views and checkin it twice. I personally think I have presented a good point that no one has taken the time to answer in their personal attacking:

How can you be a part of organized religion when it defeats the purpose of all that it stands for? All it does is divide people Read a damn history book. Countless crusades and murders and wars have all taken place in the name of one "god" or another. Its ridiculous, the amount of blood that has been spilled throughout history in the name of God.

I have no ulterior agenda or anything like that. I'm not trying to convert people away from their faith, I haven't attacked anyone. I just asked a simple question, but everyone who has responded to me has not taken the time to pay attention to that important point. They merely feel that its of utmost importance to "slam" me as quickly as possible for not seeing their narrow perspective. If you feel like being a part of any religion, so be it. I'm merely pointing out the irony in it.

Hey Res,

Why don't you use your "more intelligent and holier than others" superpowers to take on posts like this:

Christianity won't die because poverty exists.

Wherever there are poor people, there are churches. You may as well give them some kind of comfort. Stops them from killing themselves out of sheer despair.

Instead of calling me a moron, why don't you attack the ones that have actually brought ignorance to the conversation besides yourself.

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Why are you like this? I have claimed no belief in any one church, nor any one book? Why are you assuming?

And YOU were replying to a reference about "the hitchhikers guide". I never mentioned Star Wars.

And Scientology is based on a fictional book written by a modern author. It might be a cult, but it's exactly what you propose. If you had more friends, they could join your religion, and the state would recognize it. They did with L.Ron Hubbard, didn't they?

"Move along, move along, I AM NOT THE NUT YOU ARE TROLLING FOR!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join