It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity 'could die out within a century'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
However, Christianity isn't about a building called "the church." This is a vital point which the article seems to completely miss. Early Christians lived in perpetual fear of the Romans and even the Jews, and, as such they weren't afforded the luxury of gathering in huge congregations marked outside for all to see. They gathered in small family groups, sometimes with one or two visitors or teachers from outside the family, but rarely in groups even larger than 10 believers and they would meet at any time, on any day. It was more about fellowship and nothing like today's "*sigh* well, time to go to church...*yawn*."

Well said
This is exactly the point. I won't argue the point of a reduction of attendees in organized church services, that may be true. But the kind of christian worship as practiced above will continue well into the future.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I was going to say "before the thread gets taken over by morans (from both sides)" but it may be a bit too late!

I'm sorry, but this was just too funny.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by makaira1985]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
"Zakah, or alms-giving, is the practice of charitable giving by Muslims based on accumulated wealth, and is obligatory for all who are able to do so."

Yeah, donations are mandatory, but that's no bad thing really.

Donations to the church are not mandatory. In Islam Zakah is not only limitied to financial donations. Acts of kindness, such as helping one smile, or teaching a child any form of education also count as charity, so one does not need to be rich to give to the church or community.

During Ramadan, the poor and elderly who are most without any forms of money will pray for another, and this also counts as charity towards them.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I don't understand why people can't grasp everything around them and be at peace. Both religion and science can co-exists and neither can exist without one another. The only way i became enlightened was when i understood religion with the science, in fact religion made me understand science better.

In fact folk lore has it that prophet Mohammad was praying and someone knocked on the door, and he went to heaven and God told one of the angels to take the prophet to witness the universe and by the time he came back the knock piece on the door was still moving.

with scientific knowledge i realized it must have been a spaceship he traveled in, and recently i discovered that there could possibly be 3 kinds of spaceships, one made by mankind, the other by other aliens and the third kind spiritual being able to manifest into abjects, which made sense since God is made of light and light beings can manipulate matter. Which made sense, as these "JINS" "REPTILIANS" can also manipulate matter (who are from the dark side), which then makes them not alien beings but spiritual entities (the fallen angels), which also makes sense why it says in the Quran that these evil Jins can change shape and deceive so far as to light beings on earth. I think this could be because Earth is bound by just one universal law which is WILL.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

oh im sure of that im positive it WILL happen the bible says it will happen

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ARC22

i agree religion cannot be understood w/o science though the way i interpret these things i do a little dif from you i think there are Giants who become demons after they die angels and man i dont think that there are other beings that are not angels that inhabit the planets only angels do

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

i go to a church b/c i have to and am a christian and i agree that some of the books not included in the bible are supposed to be in it but i wanted to warn you that some of the books left out really shouldnt be in there all of the gnostic gospel should be EXcluded most of the books in the catholic apocrapha and some of the books in th e bible too just make for good reading just establish what makes a book inspired or not to make sure you dont include a book in the bible that really shouldnt be there

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
christianity will never die out and its hard to believe other religions would either, the thing is not one religion is completely right because all have been changed by normal people and the texts have been changed from the holy person that has wrote them, this also kindof ties into the nwo and one government and one religion which is not the best idea, which some might think is the best idea but is not we need no government just peace

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

ie. fueled by magic shows?

In the end, when viewed objectively, isn't that what all that ends up being?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders
The prediction of the demise of christianity is premature. It is dying out in europe, that's to be expected in the future home of the antichrist. Everywhere else however, especially in the third world and in places like China it's growing like crazy, fueled by miracles, healings and the raising of the dead.

www.megashiftministries.org...

Only in the cold dead pseudo-christian west, where pleasures are the new gods is it dying. I guarantee you though there will be a revival even in the West before the end.

With all due respect, Sublime, I thought that was an excellent post.

A "little" biassed, and very colourful in the metaphors and imagery, but quite apt in the last paragraph.

Personally, I thought it was quite poetic, but I suspect I'm looking at it from a different perspective.

[edit on 21/6/2008 by budski]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iesus_freak
reply to post by jhill76

It is this mindless thinking that backs my point that organized religion is so dangerous. My problem is not with the believers of these religions, it is the organized religions themselves. How can one belong to a particular religion that teaches one to "love thy fellow man" and unite humanity without realizing that in being a part of an organized or specific religion they are creating a divide that does nothing except cause each side to point a finger at the other.

Burdman made my point when he came into the thread basically flaming me for not being a christian ....not in those words, but that's how I took it. That the fact that he felt it necessary to passionately dispel my point of view because it did not coincide with his. This is the attitude of most Christians in my experience and is what really makes the religion a turn off for me. On the other hand, JasonJNelson gave an awesome argument that I feel merrited a star because he didn't try to use his religion as ammunition to fire back, which is what it should be all about.

To Burdman:

Christ was a Jew, and his disciples were also. Why then were the gospels written in Greek? Most Biblical scholars agree that the gospels were originally written in Greek and not translated from Aramaic.

There were numerous forgeries of gospels in the early years of Christianity, such as the "Gospel of Judas Iscariot" and the "Oracles or Sayings of Christ". Some of the debatable works are in the Apocrypha, while others such as the gospels written in the names of John and Peter were rejected by the pious early Christians. Would people have to forge testimonies of someone who really existed? If we accept that some of the works are genuine, how do we know that the gospels in the New Testament aren't forgeries?

Now, are you going to keep flaming me and ramble about how i know nothing of what I'm "railing against" or do I need to continue?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Point well taken. I just don't have much faith in miracles, healings, and raising of the dead. I've never heard of a documented case that wasn't total BS (if you know what I'm saying).

But that's all I was picking at in his/her post.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Christianity isn’t going away anytime soon. (God’s church is an anvil that has worn out many hammers) The liberal crud that is passed off as Christianity in many churches today on the other hand is on it’s way out. People need and will always have a belief system, whatever they want to call it. You may not believe in God, but you believe in something that helps you through you day.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

Your point is well taken.

I looked at the post from a pure love of a point made clumsily poetic.

But I know what you mean.

Nice to speak to you again, on a side note

[edit on 21/6/2008 by budski]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter

Originally posted by iesus_freak
reply to post by jhill76

It is this mindless thinking that backs my point that organized religion is so dangerous. My problem is not with the believers of these religions, it is the organized religions themselves. How can one belong to a particular religion that teaches one to "love thy fellow man" and unite humanity without realizing that in being a part of an organized or specific religion they are creating a divide that does nothing except cause each side to point a finger at the other.

Because we believe that we are one right and our principles are better and more godly.
I want to see a census for Christians, For every one that they count there are ten to twenty that they do not so don't believe the hype. Christianity was formed to show the right path to take and that Jesus is the only messiah.

All thought history their was never a man like Jesus, One who lived as he spoke and one who never hurt anyone yet the other two major religions say he was Divine yet not the one while the Muslims believe that Muhammad the one who waged wars upon wars and slept with children was the one true messiah.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
[...]while the Muslims believe that Muhammad the one who waged wars upon wars and slept with children was the one true messiah.

Way to spread lies.

Muhammad only fought in wars where his people were in danger due to the other party's actions. He never started wars as an offender.

Muslims never believed Muhammad is the "one true messiah." Infact, the arabic word for "messiah" is "Masseeh" and is only used to refer to Jesus. Get your facts straight and next time speak some truth.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

here's a good one to find out why there's a change of attitude.

www.jesuswillreturn.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Starred DJ

There's far too much ignorance as far as certain "holy" books are concerned.

I put holy in inverted brackets because I don't consider them to be holy - but that's just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Christianity won't die because poverty exists.

Wherever there are poor people, there are churches. You may as well give them some kind of comfort. Stops them from killing themselves out of sheer despair.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join