It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity 'could die out within a century'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

You got a star for that post?!

Mad Hater, first good for you that you manned up and called some one out instead of attacking every Christian without "personally" doing it. You might of wanted to find a Bible Thumper though or someone that really supports organized religion. You see, I am joining the Buddist Jews for Jesus movement started by Jason. You picked the wrong bloke to argue organized religion really. But to be fair to you, Budski warned me about using the word "moron" and it would be better that I didn't.

Budski better not have been the one that starred your post!

Read my previous post a little better. Go after the zealots you intended to in the first place, unless of course you wanted to argue or debate "true" Christianity. Oh, there is no such thing as a true Christian by the way. My group of Christians say that we are "practicing" Christians because we all know that we are going to sin like crazy at times. My attack on you is a perfect example of how not to be a Christian. You won't get hypocrisy from me. Like I said, I don't think I'm the best example of the type of Christian you want to go after. I can preach and teach "true" Christianity but if you go by my example then you might have a problem. Jason seriously summed it up great in his one "bugger off" post (except of course the bugger off part...but that was funny)

So Mad Hater.....Mad Hater??? (Hatter) dude, I think the "Hater" might work better.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Cheers, I am never for name calling, you know this.

I am not a part of any organized religion, FYI.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa

You got a star for that post?!

Yes, not everyone agrees with you...surprise surprise.

Mad Hater,

You think your suddle name calling is not noticed? Why don't you grow up?

first good for you that you manned up and called some one out instead of attacking every Christian without "personally" doing it.

And where was this alleged attack? I never said anything negative about christians, merely stated that they would be in here to defend themselves, as they are.

You might of wanted to find a Bible Thumper though or someone that really supports organized religion. You see, I am joining the Buddist Jews for Jesus movement started by Jason.

Good for you. You want a cookie? Way to follow the leader instead of leading yourself. I call that a sheeple.(There's that damned word again
)

You picked the wrong bloke to argue organized religion really. But to be fair to you, Budski warned me about using the word "moron" and it would be better that I didn't.

And really, why are you the "wrong bloke" are you the end all be all of knowledge? Nice to know. Next time there's a world problem, I'll tell the powers that be to give you a call. And yeah, I'm the "wrong bloke" to call a moron out of your own stupidity....not ignorance...stupidity.

Budski better not have been the one that starred your post!

And what if he didn't....what's the great Res Ipsa gonna do about it?

Read my previous post a little better. Go after the zealots you intended to in the first place, unless of course you wanted to argue or debate "true" Christianity. Oh, there is no such thing as a true Christian by the way. My group of Christians say that we are "practicing" Christians because we all know that we are going to sin like crazy at times.

I think I read it just fine. Once again, I do not intend to "go after" anyone or have an agenda as you so clearly do. And I digress. There is such a thing as a true Christian and it's those that follow their faith to the best of their ability if they so choose to follow that faith. They don't have to do it to YOUR standards, which you think everything should fit into....your standards. Sorry to be the one to bust your bubble, but your word is not any important than anyone elses.

My attack on you is a perfect example of how not to be a Christian.

I'm glad you realize that you initiated an attack on me.

You won't get hypocrisy from me. Like I said, I don't think I'm the best example of the type of Christian you want to go after.

I've already gotten a boatload of it...enough hypocrisy spewing from your ignorant mouth than I care to. And who said I was going after anyone other than you?

I can preach and teach "true" Christianity

Please don't....spare me.

but if you go by my example then you might have a problem. Jason seriously summed it up great in his one "bugger off" post (except of course the bugger off part...but that was funny)

I feel sorry for anyone that follows your example.

So Mad Hater.....Mad Hater??? (Hatter) dude, I think the "Hater" might work better.

Once again, why don't you quit the personal attacks and grow up, or get a life...whichever comes first.

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
wow, I missed out on some postings while I was working on cleaning my keyboard thanks to the Jedi religion dude.

Mad Hatter is so off on me. Jason he has no issue with you what so ever.

Being compared to "Yahn" that racist dude. Mad, you just have me pegged so wrong. Did you even read my posting? I said that if you attacked Blacks I would be all over you. Does Yahn sound like the type of guy that would say anything like that?

I tell ya what, take a breath, go back and read what I wrote. Lets, for now, take the "moron" out of the post. (Budski you Jedi master you)

Are you going to man up and admit you missed the boat on me entirely or can you figure out a way to twist this so that you can find something to salvage this. Hey, how about focus on that I am an arrogant arse. That should work just fine. Nobody is going to go back and read our threads to see what happened anyway.

I tell ya what, there are some Fundamentalist just scratching their heads right now. "uhh, which one of these guys do we not like again???"

[I sure hope I got this edit in before "hatter" saw that I spelled his name wrong again.]

Dude, you are into some serious feelings and not making a heck of alot of sense. I'm going to end up pissing off some normal people soon if I don't figure out a good way to calm your "madness" down.

You said "Amen" to the death of Christianity. I took you on. You got pissed. You attacked Christianity. I defended. You clearly are not the type of person to "engage" with. I certainly wouldn't mind to continue but the mature thing to do would be to bow out and expect Budski to just slap me with the "i told you so mate".

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Res Ipsa]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Maybe I did have you wrong Res, maybe I didn't. I know one thing for sure though. I have no personal vendetta against you as a person. I'm sure you're a great guy. I just don't appreciate you attacking me and I have the right to defend myself.

As for this thread, it is apparent by the starring and flagging going on, that no contradicting views of religion are welcomed here...typical. So the effort to offer an opposing view is futile, as this thread has just turned into a way for "christians" and other religious fanatics to gang up on those who do not support that kind of thing. I am done in this thread, as it will do no good to stay and argue.

That said, I wish you the best, man. I really do not hold anything against you.

P.S. And you might wanna quit calling me "Mad Hater" because a) That sounds like something Yahn Goodey would do, and b) I have not done any name calling towards you and c) if you keep on, I'm gonna start coming up with nicknames for you that you're not gonna like.

Peace!

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
P.S. And you might wanna quit calling me "Mad Hater" because...

d) It could be seen as a violation of the terms and conditions of this website, as abusing a member's name is personally attacking the member, not his opinion.

Likewise, Mad_Hatter, this thread is about to go to the dogs. I'm out.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Now aint that something. We both must have posted at the same time or at least before we could read the others posts.

Good for you. You saw where it was going. You earned some cred there in my book. As for the Hater. that was seriously my bad ass spelling. I wasn't kidding when I wrote it and looked at it and then checked.....hmmmm, yeah I could have corrected it the first time but I thought it was an accurate name once I discovered I don't know how to spell hatter. But when I did it the last time I went back to edit as soon as I read I pooched it up again. So only once I left it on purpose but always it was because I suck at spelling.

Good hit with the Yahn thing but knowing that you really believed it made it alot less insulting.

And being one of the first members of the Buddist Jews for Jesus, you can't call me a sheeple for that. You know that it isn't real too so you were just swinging with that one weren't you?

See people, this is how it is done, nothing to see here, move on..... there is a new UFO thread out there.....quick....go check it out.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

That was a really weal cop out my friend. Very weak.

Sorry to see you run in the face of compromise. If I had "fought " with you though?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Jason, who are you responding to? What did Tezza say?

You have to wonder why some idiot has to edit a one line post

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I was not bringing the views of the government in on my post, Tezz. We all know their point of view is a pile of bloody rubbish. I was simply saying on a PERSONAL level we should all just have a little more respect. As far as tax exemptions and school/public functionality goes, tough luck. You're dealing with the same people Res Ispa gets so worked up about...and, unfortunately, there is no reasoning with them. To further my point, check out the Buddhist World Perversion thread. That guy is either trying to piss people off on purpose with an elaborate, disrespectful joke...or he seriously means it...in which case...well, I am ashamed to be called a human being as that means I am "related" to that individual in some way.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I guess we, as people, like to preach free speech. That is, until it is something we do not want to hear.

Slay the Christians, they bother me with their Jesus talk. Let us speak of the 9/11 theories; they are much easier to prove than an invisible "god". Let us scream out at the NWO. Has anyone ever seen an NWO? What does it look like? Can I touch it?

I am using sarcasm, for those of you with frontotemporal dementia. Praising the end of religion is a horrible attitude towards other humans with free will to believe as they wish. Religion may be used as a vehicle to accomplish "evil" things, just as the gun does not kill an innocent person, the person pulling the trigger is the killer.

I am not a religious person; I just can not stand it one bit when I see people wish for the end of something they disagree with. As if they are afraid. Why be afraid? I know, I know, religion is the cause of so many wars and deaths, etc. Well, if religion was not there, people in power would have come up with something else to convince you to follow their orders. Such as terrorists, drugs, weapons of mass destruction. Or maybe just to defend honor.

rant over. g'night.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

First of all, I never flamed you. If pointing out that you believe someone to be ignorant of the topic they're trying to comment on is flaming, then please explain to me why this site's entire aura is intertwined with the concept of "deny ignorance." You keep throwing that "you flamed me for not being Christian crap" into every one of your posts in this topic like you're desperately seeking a sympathetic response from everyone when, in reality, I never once flamed you. In fact, I could very easily accuse you of indirectly flaming, or at the very least trying to bait someone into flaming through a few very incendiary Anti-Christian based comments you made before you and I ever started this back & forth.
For example:

Originally posted by Mad_Hatter
In my opinion if your gonna buy into the bible, you might as well buy season tickets with Tom Cruise to the great show of scientology too...and don't forget your xenu souvenir. They're on sale for $100,000 and your soul.

Re-read any of my posts in this thread and seriously ask yourself if I, through questioning some incorrect statements you tried to pass off as fact and my identifying them as seeming to be ignorant and uninformed statements, was flaming. Further ask yourself how much sense it makes for you to constantly be harping on the flaming topic when your little attempt at humor, quoted above, was directly intended to make myself and anyone who believes in Christ look like they are crazy. However, feel free to keep playing the poor victim card here, because I'm sure somebody out there will eventually play their little violin for you and you'll get whatever sympathy it is you seem to be desperately seeking by dwelling on it. Also make note that I never once attempted to "passionately dispel my point of view because it did not coincide with" mine, I pointed out that something you were trying to pass off as fact were not facts.

Second (and back to the OP topic which, unfortunately, had to be sidetracked from because of these cries of "wolf" you keep making on the flaming topic) the gospels are not and have never been part of the apocrypha. As for why the gospels are widely believed to have been written in Greek, Paul was largely credited with getting them written down. He was a tax collector before he became a Christian, so he understood the importance of chronicaling everything and meticulously keeping records. Greek was basically the "lingua franca" of the majority of cultures in the old world at that time. The Jews were very much into "word of mouth," with less emphasis placed on writing down the faith on paper and more emphasis placed on sharing it verbally one to another. Paul recognized that, after 50 to 60 years of being largely a message just for the Jews, he was responsible for getting the message out to the gentiles.

If you had to write copies of a book, all by hand, no printing press or computer to mass produce it, which you would want as many people as possible to be able to read and comprehend, would you write it in the most widely understood and spoken language? The 4 Gospels as well as the remainder of the the New Testament were selected by the early Church fathers (again, much of it by Paul, himself). I'm failing to see what this has to do with the original argument we were having as to whether Christianity is a direct offshoot of Judaism or whether it "stole" "Borrowed" whatever from Judaism, actually. Maybe you can clarify what the point of your entire paragraph was for me. If it was trying to make it seem that Jesus never existed, well... Origen is considered to be the most accurate historian of the day and he has writings which acknowledge Jesus' existance and even lend some level of credence to the resurection by calling Jesus "the Christ" and indicating that the wild recounts of His existence included Him dying and being seen alive after the third day. Of course, much of what you commented on was an issue because of Origen, who brought much of the manuscripts in question into the light via his Septuagent translation of the entire Old Testament into Greek as well as later accounts of the early history of the church, including one of the only references to the so-called "Gospel of Peter." If your purpose was something other than that, please expound for me.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Burdman:

I am done with this thread. I stated it above and i meant it. the only reason I am posting this here is because I don't wanna leave you hangin. You have your religious views and I have mine. You have your reasons for believing what you believe and I have mine. You have taught me a few things here in the process too and I thank you for that. I enjoy learning something new. Thanks. But as for this thread goes, I'm out. Religious topics serve no purpose but heated argument for both sides. I have nothing further that I would care to contribute to this discussion. Thanks for challenging my views.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Yeah, I saw that after I posted my last reply (probably should have read the remainder of the thread instead of replying to something from 2 pages back before reading the whole thing.) Anyway, sorry to see you go, actually. I was enjoying the debate aside from the flame claim. I'm sure we'll pick this up sometime in the future in a different thread.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Christianity 'could die out within a century'

Thank God!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Excellent. One down, a bunch more to go. Religion is not needed any more. We have the law, we have law enforcement, we have democracy. The bible was all the bronze-age authoritarians could do to keep everyone behaving. Instead of prison, they promised everlasting suffering for transgressors.

I can't believe this bronze-age farmer's manual is still so popular. But then Britney Spears was highly popular too - I guess popularity has nothing to do with value.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Well I can say for sure that when the world really starts to gear up for war and resources are stretched thin we will see how many of these so called atheists don't jump in the fox hole and pray along with their fellow man....

Its easy to sit there when things are going all too well and preach from the roof tops that we are all wrong about God... What about when all hope is lost and you are in that FEMA camp? How about when you line up for the "shower?" Will you still hold to your convictions when you know you are taking your last breath?

I think many will have a "revelation" at that point...

Edit to add...

I wonder why it is that there are way more threads here on ATS bashing Christianity than any other religion. Its the same way in real life as in the cyber world here. For instance in one of the very first posts someone was calling out the Christians before any even landed here to take up the debate. The poster was just frothing for a Christian to jump in so he or she could pounce...

Christianity is the most vilified religion on the planet but in today’s day and age it is by far more civil than the Muslim religion. I wonder why that is? I am not a big bible thumper but from what I understand the bible states that in the end times Christians will be persecuted for just being Christians.

Like I said I suspect we will see most of these brave new age atheists hunkering down with their hands folded in prayer when their end is near...

[edit on 01/01/2008 by Perplexed]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Ya know I have never been able to figure it out but always seems that the real obnoxious ones here on ATSNN tend to be newbies.

Its not always the case but it happens enough to be noticeable.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Those of you who believe this for one second are fools! Do not speak against GOD'S people. For GOD has chosen the Jewish people to favor and protect and to masacre anyone who raises up arms against the Jews. But in the end if anyone no matter what you believe has not bowed down and begged for forgivness and asked JESUS CHRIST into their life and accepted him as their LORD and SAVIOUR they will not live. Christians chose GOD. Through JESUS CHRIST our SAVIOUR we may live and have eternal life in HEAVEN. If you know JESUS and have accepted him as your SAVIOUR then you are a Christian and you will live.

PEOPLE, LET ME BE ABSOLUTLY CLEAR ON THIS. GOD IS GOD! JESUS IS THE SON OF GOD AND THE ONLY WAY TO THY FATHER IN HEAVEN IS THROUGH JESUS.

THERE IS NO OTHER WAY AND NO MIDDLE MAN!

"For GOD so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, and who so ever believes in him will not parish but have everlasting life in Heaven."
John 3:16

If there has ever been anything in black and white this is it!

A true and firm believer in GOD and his son JESUS CHRIST,

Eye of Eagle

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
There is an infinite existence that we cannot comprehend with our finite selves but we are aware of since we are part of it. In order to reconnect ourselves with the infinite, we construct elaborate systems of symbols that we can comprehend to represent the infinite. Unfortunately most "believers" cannot distinguish between the symbol and that which it symbolizes.

In the end, paradoxically, all religions are wrong and all are right. All religions can lead us to the infinite, but we can only proceed by leaving the religion behind as we continue on our journey.

Christianity is no more "true" than Islam or Hinduism, but it is also as true as the star trek universe if it provides us with a place to start our journey to rediscovering our infinite self.

I'm also pretty sure that God really doesn't care who you sleep with or what you might like to do when you sleep with that person, nor does she care what you do at all -- the whole point of life is to live every second as it happens -- to feel everything that you can. By that, I mean that so many of us do not feel what we are doing, the taste and textures of everything in life from the first cup of coffee in the morning to the kiss of your child as you tuck them in.

So Christianity dies. It doesn't really matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join