It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity 'could die out within a century'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Wipe out religion?

Maybe if more Christians did exactly what Jesus told them , then the Christian church would have 100% membership. And you would love it. Don't judge others, love thy neighbor, do unto others as you would want done unto you.... all WONDERFUL ways for humanity to act. Just as you preach all the time.

Don't blame the believer for the sins of the institution my friend.

You won't catch me dead in 99% of all the churches in the world, but I am 99% sure you will catch me dead in Heaven

Christianity is about love. Everyone else can bugger off.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Second Thessalonians 2

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

It is foretold! As is everything else.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
What is Islam offering it's adherents that Christianity isn't? Any Muslims care to comment?

If you're asking about churches alone, Muslims attend their masjids (churches) almost daily, donations are not mandatory, prayer occurs 5 times a day and some Muslims choose to pray at the masjid for evening prayers, while others pray at home. Although church attendance is a good thing, it's not required.

One can be a pious Muslim at home, regardless of whether they attend church or not.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

the article make the whole christain faith sound like a business venture about to go bankrupt.

reply to post by vox2442

you get more swab (as in its better) for one to pray in a mosque with other muslims then at home alone.
but its not manditory,

and its a good feeling

i have been to every friday prayer i could attend (unless i had work or uni)

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah

What is Islam offering it's adherents that Christianity isn't? Any Muslims care to comment?

If you're asking about churches alone, Muslims attend their masjids (churches) almost daily, donations are not mandatory, prayer occurs 5 times a day and some Muslims choose to pray at the masjid for evening prayers, while others pray at home. Although church attendance is a good thing, it's not required.

One can be a pious Muslim at home, regardless of whether they attend church or not.

"Zakah, or alms-giving, is the practice of charitable giving by Muslims based on accumulated wealth, and is obligatory for all who are able to do so."

Yeah, donations are mandatory, but that's no bad thing really.

The Christian's problem is the fact that they transposed Christianity over the Greek Mystery religions, and made it hierarchical.

That and the fact that Science is explaining away God, eroding him bit by bit, so that eventually all Westerners will come to think "wow, we did look a bit silly for assuming there was an invisible friend in the sky who was going to help us out in our hour of need".

The universe does not care for you one way or the other, I'm afraid.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Non believers are constantly searching for a greater numbers advatage to increase the size of their mob and its rule.

That's complete, utter crap. You wouldn't have a clue what non-believers search for, as you're a christian. Stop making guesses about something you don't know.

As a non-believer, I am sick of living in a world, that has created laws based on religious ideals and dogma. Which are then used to control me and subdue me.

You quote Dio, well here's some Megadeth for you: "Killing for religion, something I don't understand... Ask the sheep, for their beliefs, would you kill on god's command?" You probably know the song.

I wish all religions would die within my lifetime.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I don't think you can say with certainty that Religion will die out. It will evolve, change to meet the needs of those who need to believe. It has been doing this for the past 40,000 years or so. From early Hominids who worshiped the elements to modern belief systems. Humans have always had religion.

There are good things and bad things that arise from Religion, just like anything, it can be abused by those that are in a positions of trust.

I honestly do not think that the decline in numbers of church goers has anything to do with the decline in the number of Christians. I personally believe that personal faith is a LOT more powerful and indeed respectable, regardless of the religion. Mass worship can be commendable within certain religions but these days is more to do with a show of power than a desire to pray, Islam in particular here.

Unfortunately, i do not have faith, fortunately i have no need of it. I realise that in the grand scheme of the universe, i am insignificant and that life on earth is by no means special.

I do however live according to 'Christian' ideals...i.e. treating others as i expect to be treated. This is the message that needs to be communicated by Religion, especially with the increase in violence etc in the modern world.

[edit on 21/6/2008 by Nerevar]

[edit on 21/6/2008 by Nerevar]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Non believers are constantly searching for a greater numbers advatage to increase the size of their mob and its rule.

That's complete, utter crap. You wouldn't have a clue what non-believers search for, as you're a christian. Stop making guesses about something you don't know.

As a non-believer, I am sick of living in a world, that has created laws based on religious ideals and dogma. Which are then used to control me and subdue me.

You quote Dio, well here's some Megadeth for you: "Killing for religion, something I don't understand... Ask the sheep, for their beliefs, would you kill on god's command?" You probably know the song.

I wish all religions would die within my lifetime.

No wait, he's right - atheism is doing exactly what religions do! We have become everything against which we strove so valiantly!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   

As an atheist, I'm kind of out of the loop on this... but it makes me wonder:

I was not a Muslim untill i became a true beliver of God, and then i witnessed miracles, i have seen invisible beings knows as Jins praying in mosques.

It states is the Quran that among us live on this earth the Jins, made of black smoke fire. (this made me a further believer) they are mischief. I have seen them with my own two eyes crystal clear, black beings like black smoke with RED eyes being mischief with a house cat in someones house.
Have been able to speak Arabic to God in my dream. And slowly as time passes everything mentioned in that dream has come true so far as time passes. (which has made me extreme believer that God exists.

putting together my intelligence, my scientific knowledge, common sense, things i have seen, and what i have read in the Quran, i get afraid of why i didn't take this seriously before.

It also says in the Quran, that God sent a revelation to mankind but it was being changed, and that the Quran will never be able to change. This is because the quran was revealed to prophet mohammed orally for long time until it was common to know a Muslim who knew the quran by heart, that is why to this day the quran never changed, and after 911 the American military dropped copies of quran in Afghanistan, and the people there burned them, calling bush evil, because they did exactly what the did with the bible, they changed verses in the quran, and the people knew the quran was altered and fake, because 4 out of 10 people today know the quran by heart.

Not only that, so far what has happened in the last 5 years is all clearly stated in the quran.

You can read about my communication with God, if you go to my profile and fid my post, Everything in that dream has come true, also the part where God said I am going to destroy the word soon because the is much evil. I was looking at some photos month ago, i saw this photo of the first major disaster the Tsunami, well get the area picture of that Tsunami, look at the sea water on the coast, turn the picture 90 degree once, and read what the water waves read..........yes it reads "ALLAH" meaning in English "GOD" .

I would be mentally disturbed or retarded to still deny that God does not exist after seeing that and having God tell me 6 months before that he was going to destroy the world among many other things he told me.

So yes this is my experience with Islam, and i will mention this to other Muslims too, if you think becoming a radical islamist is right, you are wrong, God will not accept you if you go around blowing yourself up, even in the hardest of times he wants you to be at peace and SURVIVE!

you are only allowed to kill someone to PROTECT YOURSELF, and not because someone invaded your country, God will deal with that, the greedy on Earth and Evil plan, but they not know that God plans too.

Trust me, God will win, he has shown me the truth the path to the light.

If you worry about politics, money,materials you already lost the survival mentality you will need in the next few years, if next year this time the weather is worse then this summer, you need you understand that the world is going to be destroyed in the years following. The only way you will survive if you start now having faith and thinking about surviving skills for 2012

if this wasn't freaky enough read my other posts, and the God contact, i was also born on the 21 of December, between 11.55 pm to 12.05 am i don't have a zodiac sign i have two of a different kind because of the time period of my birth, the day of the planet X is also 2012 December 21st, apparently i have been told by many fortune tellers, that my lucky number is 11, which is told of myth to be God one of favorite numbers, and the pillars of heaven.I'm not saying im special but how coincidental.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
i wonder if all the child abuse cases involving priests have anything to do with it ?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Is the key here organised religion?

If so, then it's true that it's dying out - people get fed up of the hypocrisy and are starting to recognise that although some men place themselves above others in he matter of religion, they are not.

The people I know who retain their faith but want no truck with organised religion are invariably better christians than those who attend church on a regular basis - maybe because they answer to themselves and their own beliefs rather than answering to a bloke in a frock.

Science and "alternative" religions may also have a part to play in the decline, and have given rise to a more secualr society, as more and more people realise that organised religion is just one more form of social control.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
"The only difference between a religion and a cult is the amount of real estate they own." (Frank Zappa)

All religions are moving closer to biting the dust, as science is moving, albeit slowly these days, farther away from the strictly materialistic "robo sapiens" model of what defines an intelligent species; and into the currently undefined. Science replaces superstitions and other weak, flimsy nonsense. Of course the REAL breakthrough will (or would?) be when humans are able to reject the entire secrecy-based concept of government (National Security State, at least in the US). I believe history will show that the new secular religion of government (therefore media) secrecy is the most powerful religion now... or de facto religion/cult.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just because people don't go to church doesn't mean they don't consider themselves Christians. I don't think Christianity will die out any time soon, but I do believe that Muslims attend mosque way more than Christians attend church.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by TheComte]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I was going to say "before the thread gets taken over by morans (from both sides)" but it may be a bit too late!

1) The "story" is that people polled belive that Christianity won't be practised in 100 years. I'm a brit. Our people can be stupid. I've worked in market reasearch. Depending how you phrase the question, you get the answer you (or the people paying for the reasearch) wants!

2) The reasearch earlier in the year that they allude to was good data. Another newspapers anaylsis of it (which is what the telagraph is in fact quoting) compares Christians who go to church EVERY WEEK vs Muslims who go to mosque at least ONCE A YEAR. The data was missinturprited by a Times journalist for a story.

3) Liberal churches on a whole are declining. Evangelical, conservative and charastmatic churches are on the whole growing. London has the largest congragation in Europe (I think it's 25,000), it also has the fastest growing mega church in europe (hillsong london, p from 800 a couple of yers ago to 8,000; for the last 7-10 years its doubled in size every year).

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The only issue with this article is that it assumes a religion (Christianity) cannot exist without a formal place of worship where people give away money (note the money issue raised). This assumption furthers the theory that for only one day a week must one be "religious".

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

Personally I tend to believe that as organized religions both Christianity and Islam's days are numbered.

It will be a great day for mankind when both of those faiths withdraw from the political arena and become what they were meant to be... private moral and spiritual choices.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

MadHatter.....I'll join you on that bandwagon.

In fact, I want to see ALL religions dismissed by humanity.

Religions are written by other humans. Not one human has ever had all knowledge. SO, no one 'religion' has all of the answers....that humans seem to crave, before they die.....which is the real problem. Humans are afraid of dying. Because they have been told to be afraid of dying....hence, religions take hold in the mind....feeding on the fear.

i went to a catholic school for 13 years and dont ever recall being told to be afraid of dieing.

Personaly i would hate to die as i love live and everything it brings.

so i beleive your facts are totaly wrong bc as a christian we beleive if we have been good people we will go to the kingdom of god so why would you be afraid of dieing if you have been a good person and know you will be going to a great place?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson

Wipe out religion?

Maybe if more Christians did exactly what Jesus told them , then the Christian church would have 100% membership. And you would love it. Don't judge others, love thy neighbor, do unto others as you would want done unto you.... all WONDERFUL ways for humanity to act. Just as you preach all the time.

Don't blame the believer for the sins of the institution my friend.

You won't catch me dead in 99% of all the churches in the world, but I am 99% sure you will catch me dead in Heaven

Christianity is about love. Everyone else can bugger off.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

words spoken by a true christian.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by grover
reply to post by jhill76

Personally I tend to believe that as organized religions both Christianity and Islam's days are numbered.

It will be a great day for mankind when both of those faiths withdraw from the political arena and become what they were meant to be... private moral and spiritual choices.

Well said and starred.

I do hope organized religion comes to an end- at least the way they are done now. I believe, based on my observations, that Christianity hinders a person's intellectual growth. I'm not saying all Christians are stupid or dumb, but I am saying that I don't believe it is healthy to be tethered to one single archaic book.

Honestly, I would love to see the day when Pagans, Christians, Hindus, etc. all worship together- truly united-, without anybody feeling the other person's beliefs are erroneous. We would get so much more accomplished if people weren't so busy trying to convert others or arguing over whose beliefs are right and wrong.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It may happen much sooner than that, and it won't just be christianity!

Thread #1
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread #2
www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join