It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Video) Pentagon's 'Ray Gun' Demonstrated On Mock Protestors : 60 Minutes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

(Video) Pentagon's 'Ray Gun' Demonstrated On Mock Protestors : 60 Minutes

rawstory.com

The Active Denial System was developed in secret for ten years before being unveiled by the Pentagon in 2001. As of 2004, it was being described as ready for use in Iraq within the next 12 months. This has still not occurred, and according to Secretary Payton, use of the weapon in Iraq is now "not politically tenable" because after Abu Ghraib "you don't ever, ever, ever want a system like this to be thought of as a torture weapon."

However, the failure to deploy the weapon as planned has raised suspicions that the real intention is to use it for domestic crowd control.

In 2006, Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne was quoted as saying that the device should be used first on Americans, because "if we're not willing to use it here against our fellow citizens, then we should not be willing to use it in a wartime situation. ... If I hit somebody with a nonlethal weapon and they claim that it injured them in a way that was not intended, I think that I would be vilified in the world press."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
The Frankenstein Monster has gotten up off the table and is completely running rampant...

This is like something straight out of 1984--A scenario that repeats itself with frightening regularity nowadays.

I never thought I would see these types of scenarios happen in my time, in my nation. It is almost like a nightmare that I cannot awaken from...

War is being planned against us all. We are the targets.

Scroll down to the bottom of the link to watch video.

Hymes demonstrated the weapon by staging what CBS somewhat oddly called "a scenario soldiers might encounter in Iraq" -- a handful of military volunteers, dressed as civilian protesters, who carried signs saying "peace not war" and threw objects at a small group of soldiers. A series of raygun blasts from half a mile away disrupted their chants and finally sent them running.

Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Acquisiton Sue Payton calls the Active Denial System a "huge game-changer" which "would save huge numbers of lives." She told CBS, "It could be used to read someone's mind, in effect. ... If they continue to come at you, then you're fairly sure ... they're probably a terrorist or an adversary who wants to do you harm."

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
"Not politically tenable" to deploy in Iraq. Somehow I'll bet this will be found "politically tenable" for deployment within the US though.

I'd be willing to bet that this will be used against US protesters well before it ever finds an actual battlefield.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

I am 100% certain that is EXACTLY what it is being designed for. The writing has been all over the walls for the past several months of what is happening here. It is absolutely bone-chilling how systematic and calculated this is all being put together IMO.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wow...
thats the message you got from this???
If..and that is a big if...if this "ray gun" is truly non-lethal than it is fantastic! How many lives can be saved with this thing.
The fact that the military doesn't want to use it because it isn't lethel is a good reason to get pissed off about. The fact that they have had this for this long and haven't used it is another reason to get pissed off about.
What would you rather face during this civil war you seem to want to engage in, a 21 yr old neo-nazi right out of the police acadamy with his very lethal weapons or this ray gun? I'll take the Buck Rogers on this one.
I wish our gov. would spend more money on non-lethal weapons rather than on more lethal ones.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

LOL...

Do you actually believe 100% that this is non-lethal? Getting "microwaved"? While "perhaps" non-lethal right at the moment, what about long term effects? You are being hit with RADIATION here.

Let me guess, you think Tasers are really great too? Because they are better than bullets?

This is nothing more than a pain-compliance control tool, and you're damn right I'm pissed. I'm tired of this nonsense.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Free countries are supposed to have the right to protest.

In fact, that's pretty much what makes a free country free... the peoples ability to invoke change without fear of unjust persecution.

So... the US is actively seeking to leave the free world?

Wow. Just wow.

As a child, I kinda liked the US, they were almost identical to Canada in every way... all the freedoms we shared, everything.

Then their freedoms started getting revoked. I felt sorry for them.

Then they started detaining people at the border, accusing them of being terrorists, when they were simply going to visit their family. A couple of them I knew.
One of my friends was accused of being a bomb maker, because he had his electronics tools in his trunk. He's a fellow roboticist, those tools are necessary for his work.
He was of course released after a couple of weeks... but thats a couple of weeks without a warrant, without charge, without any legal backing to his being held... and a couple of weeks we really could have used him in the lab. (needless to say, his family has since moved to Canada.)

It was then that I decided, I'm never setting foot in that country again, at least, not until they straighten themselves out.

And now this... they're actively seeking to remove themselves from the free world.

Now I'm disgusted.
I'm boycotting everything that is American. Anyone who voluntarily destroys their own freedoms does not deserve my business.

I'm inclined to make sure none of my colleagues give them any either.

It's freedom or nothing. It's high time the US Government figured that out too.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Ok, how do we know this device will not be used to make us bow down and worship the beast and take his mark upon you? Has anyone gave this a thought?

edit for spelling

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Shar]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Raytheon, which developed the system for the Pentagon, is currently selling a more limited-range civilian version of the system, under the name "Silent Guardian," which it promotes as being suitable for "law enforcement, checkpoint security, facility protection, force protection and peacekeeping missions."

There's not much question that it will be used on citizens here, whether it ever gets used in warfare or not. Apparently there's big money to be made stripping citizens of their rights and brutalizing the population.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Res, before you go falling in love with this "non-lethal" technology, you owe it to yourself to learn more of it's full capabilities.

Frontpage Interview’s guest today is Dave Gaubatz, the first Federal Agent (civilian) to enter Iraq in 2003. Currently the Director of the Mapping Shari'a project and owner of Wahhabi Counter-terrorism publications providing first-hand intelligence for law enforcement and CT professionals.

Gaubatz: Before I discuss the Ray Gun issue I want to inform your readers that 60 Minutes (CBS) Producer Mary Walsh telephoned me last week to discuss my allegations pertaining to the false and very inaccurate report conducted by 60 Minutes. She asked for documentation to prove my knowledge of the system and why their report is false. I provided the documentation. She wrote back and wanted to know why the Pentagon had lied to her. I essentially informed Ms. Walsh that she should ask them since it has hurt the credibility of her and the 60 Minutes staff. Readers can view the documents on my site at www.kidsandterrorism.com.

Gaubatz: The Pentagon has had an operational “Ray Gun” since early in 2003. The Ray Gun was designed to be a lethal weapon. It can kill, injure the person very badly, or just slightly depending on the setting of the mechanisms. if they want to show the ‘Ray gun’ to news media and some politicians who advocate non-lethal weapons, and are usually the same politicians who have advocated getting our troops out of Iraq months before they were even sent there, they bring in a journalist and ‘feed’ him/her the non-lethal story.

Gaubatz: The Ray Gun was designed as a lethal weapon. During my conversation with Ms. Mary Walsh, she advised she was told by Pentagon officials the Ray Gun had been tested on animals. I was very surprised to hear this because Pentagon officials have just confirmed animals are used for testing of weapons such as the Ray Gun at Kirtland AFB. I coordinated the security when the truck loads of animals were being brought in during the middle of the night. Dead animals can’t speak, but if a goat or 500 pound cow can be killed almost instantly with the Ray Gun, then I believe most readers can safely assume a 175 pound man or woman could also die instantly from the intense heat.

The weapon could have been used in early 2003. Before I left for Iraq I had numerous meetings with AFRL/DE engineers and scientists. I knew the capabilities of the weapons. The scientists and their Directors asked me to test and evaluate the DE weapons at Kirtland AFB. I did this immediately after 11 Sep 2001. For several months, the weapons were operational and ready for use in Iraq .

Source

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think its just a useless weapon in fighting war. Sure there be rioters along with insurgents in the crowd, but do we expect military police to drop their riot gear and start bringing in their assault rifles and go back to riot gear each time? That massacre in Fallujah in 2003 is a tragedy, but I don't like seeing soldiers carrying non-lethal weaponry to appease the politicians, media, and public. Good old guns is enough to deal with protestors.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
quote form op's post
In 2006, Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne was quoted as saying that the device should be used first on Americans, because "if we're not willing to use it here against our fellow citizens, then we should not be willing to use it in a wartime situation. ... If I hit somebody with a nonlethal weapon and they claim that it injured them in a way that was not intended, I think that I would be vilified in the world press."

using that logic, they are quite willing to use napalm, nukes, and the full inventory of US weapons on americans then?
Now thats pretty scary

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by babylonstew

Thats just so dumb. Need to use against Americans first so we can placate the people around the world so they will feel better that Americans got a taste of nonlethal first.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If it truely is a non lethal weapon for war so as to cause less fatalities then it's a good thing.

However i seriously doubt that this is the case. Our goverment has given us no reason to believe that this weapon would not be used against American citizens carrying out their right to protest. Why was the test done with a group of protesters rather than a military scenario?

Then Wynne says that we shouldn't use it on anyone else before we use it on Americans first. Does that not imply that this is in fact thier very intent ? What possible reason would they have to ever use this weapon on their own citizens? Perhaps they are just sitting back waiting for just such a "protest" by American citizens to test this "non lethal weapon" on us. They have found an aid in taking more of our rights away from us.

This makes me think that they know something. That not so far in the furture something will happen that will have the people protesting in record numbers and we will then see this weapon being used to keep us in line.

As far as being "non lethal" that remains to be seen. I'm sure that the video footage did not show the full capabilities of this ray, they show that it has different intensity levels, but did they show it being used at full power? And what happens when the people that they use it on start showing the effects of it 20-30 years later in the form of cancer or birth defects in their children ?

I don't believe that they developed this with the sole intent of being used on foriegn enimies.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

They already tried using it in a military scenario. All it did was force them to change positions and continue firing on the troops. Bad scenario.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Remember folks, for every measure there IS a countermeasure. Microwaves don't work so well through metal and often metal reflects the waves back, which is why you don't put tin foil in your microwave at home. I'd bet there's a very effective, very cheap, and potentially very nasty (for the people manning this thing) way to defend against its effects.

Sure would suck for any troops/LEOs using this monster to find those protesters they hate so much have a slab of sheet metal under those protest signs reflecting their ray right back in their pig faces now, wouldn't it?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Yep but they'll continue to say that it's intended for military use right up till the day that they use it on us. And then of coures they'll have a "legitimite reason" for doing so, while still insisting that it was never designed for, or meant to be used against us.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Nighthawk, that was my first thought also. Im positive people would find a way to repel this, a simple countermeasure to this "weapon". It never fails to amaze me how resourceful people can be when they are forced to be.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by lucidvisions]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I found this on You Tube:

Active Denial Weapon System 1 and 2, Demonstrations held at Marine Corps Base Quantico, October 2007

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
While I think it's excellent that the army is trying to use non-lethal weapons, the concept of a non-lethal weapon is a double-edged sword.

While this thing is bound to save lives overseas in dangerous situations, it is more likely to be used domestically for situations which do not call for it. Every non-lethal weapon that has been developed has been used on the American Public. Mace, pepper balls, stun guns, rubber bullets, tasers... all are used irresponsibly, and none are without their dangers.

Between June 2001 and June 2007, there were at least 245 cases of deaths of subjects soon after having been shocked using Tasers.

Wikipedia

Sadly, everyone in America knows that the police are very prone to acting irrationally, and most seem to have a "beat first, question later" attitude. These lasers will probably end up in every precinct, and as a result we'll probably see alot of people dying in situations were force (regardless of how "non lethal" it is) was not required at all.

edit: Just had to throw this in there. Active Denial System is an appropriate name. More like Active Denial of citizens' rights to peacefully assemble.

[edit on 3-6-2008 by drwizardphd]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join