It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Video) Pentagon's 'Ray Gun' Demonstrated On Mock Protestors : 60 Minutes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Nothing a well placed .50 cal won't stop, or at least disable.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well said...

I agree that this is not the best the gov't can do. I don't know about some of the fanciful things I've read on ATS before, but a high-power microwave laser is DEFINITELY not the best the US can do... I hope.

As for this weapon being potentially deadly; of course. It most definitely is. It is also easily countered as said earlier in this thread. Good to see some people in here aren't complete science laymen!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

That is just awesome (sarcasm).

Seriously though, I bet if they turned up the heat on that raygun they could do some serious damage.

Did anyone else notice how they used it against those mock war protestors? and then they stated how that is a scenario that you could find in Iraq.

Looks more like a scenario out of America or the UK.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
reply to post by jsobecky

He is right... USSR and current Russia want/ inst so bad...

You're delusional. Seriously.

And at least the government is not such a hypocrisy., like here.

Oh, hell! Hypocrisy?! Well, damn, that's a lot more serious than slave camps!

Where we are led to believe that we are free... when in reality we are not.

Yes, the poor peasants were free to come and go in the slave camps, weren't they?

I live in a Russian community and I can tell you many Russians are now going back to Russia because its getting so bad here.. This is a hypocrisy not a democracy

Sorry, I'm calling Bullcrap on this one.

Freedom in the USSR? Read this

The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, Repression

and then try saying how "free" Russians were/are. With a straight face.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Here is a whole page dedicated to the Active Denial System.

60minutes.yahoo.com...

I would hope that before anyone says this thing is bunk that you would check out the link provided before casting doubt.

Also, I wouldn't expect for this to be use on just a protesting crowd. I would expect it to be used on a rioting crowd, however.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I wonder how many have seen this. It's called the "mosquito" - it's a sonic system designed specifically to drive away teens and prevent them from loitering around a place. It was invented in the U.K. and has made its way to the U.S. It doesn't affect people over 25 or so.

"It can be heard by most people in their teens and early 20s who still have sensitive hair cells in their inner ears. "

www.cnn.com...

www.compoundsecurity.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I am getting the popcorn shelf stocked up in anxious anticipation of it's first use on the career protestors filthing up our streets and airwaves. One will probably be permanantly deployed to every city with a major university too. Who needs sitcoms and reallity shows anymore, bring on the news networks.

Oh and "don't tazer me" was just the tip of the iceberg for future entertainment.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
all this using technology for war stuff needs to end..does the government think we are going to have wars forever?

we should be concentrating on using technology for good imo.

whatever the case..this kind of stuff is just scary and is clearly another tool to control people

[edit on 3-6-2008 by Skipper1975]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm in the Army. I think the Ray Gun is great, if it works like the videos show. (I actually stated, while watching this, that I wanted to be tested on to know the effects.)

Effective from a half of a mile away. That's amazing range, especially for a Non-Lethal Weapon.

I'm confused by the line from the report, though. What was 'oddly' describe as a situation soilders might see in Iraq. Why 'oddly'? It is apparent the writer either has an Agenda, or has never been over here (I'm in Iraq now). Soldiers are faced with such situations all the time. Sometimes from relatively peaceful people who are tired of there world being in chaos, other times by factions intent on harm. Easy way to find out what you are faced with while not incurring casualties. If they persist, they are intent.

The fact the only 1.3 Million (out of BILLIONS in Defense Funding) is given to the Ray pisses me off greatly. If it doesn't kill, it doesn't get funded. But if it kills, we have to go through 10 steps and usually get shot at before allowed to use it.

If this is used for crowd control, fine. Non-Lethal. I'd rather get hit by the heat than beaten with a night stick or shot.

As for 1984 Big Brother, this is not it. Not to say such an item can't be used in such a way, merely saying it isn't designed for such. And if it was, the outcry would be enough to draw the Nation to Arms... and much more than a heat ray would be required to stop us from toppelling the tyranny.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Yep, they will be seen in the streets of America.

Peaceful protests or riots, doesnt matter.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Thing about this that makes it different from other forms of non-lethal weapons is that it's too convenient. What I mean is that cops or riot control have to be in pretty tight spot to pull out the tear gas or water cannons, they completely disrupt the area around the situation for a good radius. Because of that they're going to put off resorting to those means as long as they can.

Something like this can be directed, it has no clean up, it can't potentially destroy or damage property and theres very little if any collateral damage to people not involved. So then why not miniturize it (if they haven't already) and put on in every squad car in the country? Flip a switch, crowd/individual desists and complies.

Maybe it doesn't break bones but I think theres something to a good old fashion night stick, as twisted as that seems. The officer has to consider if the person in question is behaving so poorly that they want to engage them in a physical altercation.

Although the officer is at a huge advantage, theres always the chance that it's just not their day and they end up on the pavement at the other end of their night stick. While I'm not saying that's in any way right, I think you get my point.

If you give officers the ability to remove themselves completely from the situation and give them a pain button, no one thinks that button is going to get pressed more frequently if theres absolutely no risk of recourse?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Free countries are supposed to have the right to protest.

In fact, that's pretty much what makes a free country free... the peoples ability to invoke change without fear of unjust persecution.

So... the US is actively seeking to leave the free world?

Wow. Just wow.

Eeeehm, eeeh, eerrr, the U.S. has actively left the free world about three days after the constitution was accepted. Maybe two, I forget...Some say one, so....
Dont believe that because p[eople say it is free that it actually IS free. Just ask any Native American or black person in the US...Philippino, Mexican, African, any colour...There is not so much freedom in America if you have different colour skin or non-standard opinions.
There is a small, mostly white, elite telling you you live in the freeest country...there are more than five billion people saying you dont...
Who are you going to believe?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   

He is right... USSR and current Russia want/ inst so bad... And at least the government is not such a hypocrisy., like here. Where we are led to believe that we are free... when in reality we are not. I live in a Russian community and I can tell you many Russians are now going back to Russia because its getting so bad here.. This is a hypocrisy not a democracy

Geez, you have to be kidding me. The US is WORSE than the USSR? Some people need to check out some history books on the reign of Stalin. I read that they figured the population of the USSR would be DOUBLE had Stalin not come to power (not figuring in WW2 losses).

Sure, this could be used to hurt people, but we could have been setting up SATCOM dishes in Iraq and just microwaving them for years without spending money on the R&D of this project. And with a SATCOM dish, it would be slower and a lot less painful while you're being cooked.

People are freakin' out about the Military using this on US civilians. How many anti war protests have been conducted since the war started? And how many US civilians were machinegunned while they were protesting?

Anyone can protest, even outside of a military base, and no one will do a thing as long as the protesters aren't hurting anyone or being disruptive (blocking traffic, throwing things, etc). This will probably only be wheeled out if the protesters start to get ugly.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Wonder how long until local police are handed a scaled-down model?? Oh wait, it's already here! The TASER.

... the "New and Improved!" model will be wireless, that's what they're getting at.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheObjectReport
Wonder how long until local police are handed a scaled-down model?? Oh wait, it's already here! The TASER.

... the "New and Improved!" model will be wireless, that's what they're getting at.

I've heard of this. The theory is, you use a low-powerd laser to ionize the air, forming a "tunnel" of sorts you can then fire a bolt of electricity down and at the target. No wires, no mess, set Phasers on Stun.

At higher power levels I bet it would be lethal as Hell...

One easy, hand-held gun for all your hurting/killing needs!!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

(Video) Pentagon's 'Ray Gun' Demonstrated On Mock Protestors : 60 Minutes

rawstory.com

The Active Denial System was developed in secret for ten years before being unveiled by the Pentagon in 2001. As of 2004, it was being described as ready for use in Iraq within the next 12 months. This has still not occurred, and according to Secretary Payton, use of the weapon in Iraq is now "not politically tenable" because after Abu Ghraib "you don't ever, ever, ever want a system like this to be thought of as a torture weapon."

However, the failure to deploy the weapon as planned has raised suspicions that the real intention is to use it for domestic crowd control.

In 2006, Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne was quoted as saying that the device should be used first on Americans, because "if we're not willing to use it here against our fellow citizens, then we should not be willing to use it in a wartime situation. ... If I hit somebody with a nonlethal weapon and they claim that it injured them in a way that was not intended, I think that I would be vilified in the world press."

(visit the link for the full news article)

"You don't ever, ever, ever want a system like this to be thought of as a torture weapon"

Of course not because that is against INTERNATIONAL LAW.

And American's wonder why they are hated the world over?

Seriously are they THAT STUPID?

[edit on 4-6-2008 by mOOmOO]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Res Ipsa

LOL...

Do you actually believe 100% that this is non-lethal? Getting "microwaved"? While "perhaps" non-lethal right at the moment, what about long term effects? You are being hit with RADIATION here.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

OMG! Watch out!, you are using a computer and thus being hit with RADIATION here! Don't go outside because you will be hit by the Suns RADIATION here! And for goodness sake, if you live in the northeast you had better move because in almost every house you will find RADIATORS!!!

Bah... Sure, I don't like the idea of any weapon used to force compliance, as it can be misused, but this level of FUD you are spreading is just tired and old.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Quazga]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

reply to post by Res Ipsa

LOL...

Do you actually believe 100% that this is non-lethal? Getting "microwaved"? While "perhaps" non-lethal right at the moment, what about long term effects? You are being hit with RADIATION here.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

OMG! Watch out!, you are using a computer and thus being hit with RADIATION here! Don't go outside because you will be hit by the Suns RADIATION here! And for goodness sake, if you live in the northeast you had better move because in almost every house you will find RADIATORS!!!

Bah... Sure, I don't like the idea of any weapon used to force compliance, as it can be misused, but this level of FUD you are spreading is just tired and old.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by Quazga]

I agree, fcuk international law here because America is bad ass.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by dervishmadwhirler

In fact, that's pretty much what makes a free country free... the peoples ability to invoke change without fear of unjust persecution.

Wow. Just wow.

Eeeehm, eeeh, eerrr, the U.S. has actively left the free world about three days after the constitution was accepted. Maybe two, I forget...Some say one, so....
Dont believe that because p[eople say it is free that it actually IS free. Just ask any Native American or black person in the US...Philippino, Mexican, African, any colour...There is not so much freedom in America if you have different colour skin or non-standard opinions.
There is a small, mostly white, elite telling you you live in the freeest country...there are more than five billion people saying you dont...

Uhm... Actually thats incredibly false. I have several close friends are married to members of a different race, which was FORBIDDEN not only 50 years ago.

Ya know what... those people can now marry FREELY.

Oh yeah, and My father in-law couldnt stay at a Hotel 45 years ago because "Blacks weren't allowed", so they would have to make short trips and hope to reach their destination before "sun down".

But now, it's not a problem.

So now what are you yammering on about regarding no freedom in the US? Count yourself lucky that you can Yammer on about it. In China, you'd be hunted down and shot.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by dervishmadwhirler

Wow. Just wow.

Uhm... Actually thats incredibly false. I have several close friends are married to members of a different race, which was FORBIDDEN not only 50 years ago.

Ya know what... those people can now marry FREELY.

Oh yeah, and My father in-law couldnt stay at a Hotel 45 years ago because "Blacks weren't allowed", so they would have to make short trips and hope to reach their destination before "sun down".

But now, it's not a problem.

So now what are you yammering on about regarding no freedom in the US? Count yourself lucky that you can Yammer on about it. In China, you'd be hunted down and shot.

And in America if you complain about it to the police, consider your nose owned.

But yeah I totally agree with you, fcuk international law, we don't need to respect that to be taken seriously internationally.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join