It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Will Destroy ATS

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Holy crap. This has degenerated into a "whos *&^% is bigger" contest real quick. Just replace the *&^% with belief and there's really no other difference. The sheer amount of malice spewing from some of your keyboards is really apalling. Say what you wnat about ATheist conspiracies, religious cover-ups, and general evil plans, those can never be more damaging than the amount of vehemence thrown at people that think differently than you do. Seriously. Who needs corrupt politicians and secret societs and apacalyptic prophecies when avereage every day people do a fine job of destroying eachother from the inside out. Get a grip people. For your own sake.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gigatronix
reply to post by AshleyD

Ash I agree with most of what you said. However, I find it hard to take your disgust seriously when you yourself have created threads such as "The Gullibility of Evolutionists". I know we've been over this before, but I rememeber that thread not being too different from this one. I don't believe Creationists should be excluded from this fun little website, but do you think me and my Atheist views would be at home ona Christian site? Maybe at first as they chuckled at my godlessness, but as I actively assualted their beliefs and presented them with "evidence" that supports my views, I don't think it would be long before I was banned.

You religious folks are welcome here by the people that matter, all the other rhetoric you find so distasteful just comes with the territory. You really can't expect anything less these days. And nor can I genuinely give you any advice on how to deal with radical idiots. I certainly wouldn't suggest confronting them or trying to reason with them. i'm starting to think if all you believers would just ignore the anti-religion people, maybe ATS would be a better place.Because wrangling with them just makes the problem worse. Same goes to you ATheists out there, just ignore people if you find them to be too pushy.

You know what they say about arguing with fools.....

Gig, you are one of my favorite atheists and outside of topics like this designed by their very ideologies and worldviews to pit us against each other, I think I would enjoy your company a great deal. I am just sorry it always has to be this way. I know yo uhave had your feelings hurt and this place has changed you in ways that are apparent in your posts.

I try to always remember that when I see your name on these threads and feel bad you have been hurt. I don't think you are like the others and I wish I could explain but I am afraid I cannot explain what you do not believe. Just know that we don't dislike you and talk of you offline as someone sort of caught in the crossfire if that makes any sense.

Warm Regards

- Con

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hello Gig. As usual, you are contributing a voice of reason to a very heated discussion and your view is always respected and appreciated. It's always a pleasure to read one of your comments even if we have different views.

1). I am glad you do not believe creationists should be excluded from this forum. However, I would have to say you comparing our presence here to an atheist being a member of a Christian site is somewhat of an incorrect analogy. ATS does not endorse any particular religious, political, or philosophical view. All are welcome. This forum exists to discuss alternative theories. Being that creationism is an alternative to the scientifically accepted theory of evolution, I would say creationism meets the theme of ATS. It has also already been pointed out that not only religious people endorse creationism in a generic sense.

2). Your suggestion to ignore the 'radical idiots' is a noble one and makes a lot of sense. It is something all members should do. There most definitely are times where it is wise to recognize a futile attempt when you see one and walk away. I tried doing such a thing on page 12 only to have that member not let it go. After excusing myself from discussing things with them, the member then attempted to get me in trouble.

Another member has been trying to coax me into debating a topic I am simply exhausted with. I let this member firmly know in one of his approximately ten threads on the same subject [not an exaggeration] I am not interested in debating with him any longer only to accidentally come across a thread he made last night with my name in the title. Not to mention a U2U taunt I received from another Christian on ATS last week when I refused to accept their off topic request to debate the very complicated theological topic concerning free will. This kind of stuff happens all the time. You walk away- they will chase you down relentlessly. You reply- you're preaching or having a reactionary flip out episode.

All any of us can really do is take each topic and member on a case-by-case basis. It is also wise to make a mental note of members who are worth discussing things with and those who have a reputation of only wanting to start petty arguments. I completely agree with you and give you kudos for your wisdom. Everyone needs to chose their battles (figure of speech) and realize when something is worth it and when it isn't. It just takes denying our ego and realizing we have nothing to prove.

Good to see you again, Gig. Sorry for rambling.

[edit on 6/1/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

Thanks for the warm fuzzies Con
WHile I find some of your posts a little too incendiary, I respect your right to feel the way you do, and your right to defend what you hold near and dear to your heart. I wouldn't conside my feelings hurt by these discussions, I just am sad that people prefer to focus their unhappiness at people that feel differently than themselves, and not at the real threats we all face regardless of belief system. I don't really expect a koombyah campfire singalong, but man I wish we could all find some common ground and start a meaningful dialogue about the real problems.

You are right about one thing though Con, people like me are caught in a ideological crossfire. We have chosen to believe what we like, and prefer to respect others beliefs and have our beliefs respected, but the radical folks on all sides of the spectrum are determined to make war. And it's not just casual Atheists like me caught in the crossfire, its casual Christians, casual Buddhists, casual Pagans, whatever, that are caught in the crossfire as well. Because if we choose one thing over the other, it seems we are forced to fight alongside the militants. because if we don't then we're not really believers, we're bandwagon hoppers(according to the hardcore people) I dont wnat to fight you, I wnat to fight the people that use the name of my belief system to wage war aginst those who feel differently. The real threat to all of us knows no belief system, other than the religion of power and greed.

SR

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Originally posted by Gigatronix
reply to post by AshleyD

Ash I agree with most of what you said. However, I find it hard to take your disgust seriously when you yourself have created threads such as "The Gullibility of Evolutionists". I know we've been over this before, but I rememeber that thread not being too different from this one. I don't believe Creationists should be excluded from this fun little website, but do you think me and my Atheist views would be at home ona Christian site? Maybe at first as they chuckled at my godlessness, but as I actively assualted their beliefs and presented them with "evidence" that supports my views, I don't think it would be long before I was banned.

You religious folks are welcome here by the people that matter, all the other rhetoric you find so distasteful just comes with the territory. You really can't expect anything less these days. And nor can I genuinely give you any advice on how to deal with radical idiots. I certainly wouldn't suggest confronting them or trying to reason with them. i'm starting to think if all you believers would just ignore the anti-religion people, maybe ATS would be a better place.Because wrangling with them just makes the problem worse. Same goes to you ATheists out there, just ignore people if you find them to be too pushy.

You know what they say about arguing with fools.....

Gig, you are one of my favorite atheists and outside of topics like this designed by their very ideologies and worldviews to pit us against each other, I think I would enjoy your company a great deal. I am just sorry it always has to be this way. I know yo uhave had your feelings hurt and this place has changed you in ways that are apparent in your posts.

I try to always remember that when I see your name on these threads and feel bad you have been hurt. I don't think you are like the others and I wish I could explain but I am afraid I cannot explain what you do not believe. Just know that we don't dislike you and talk of you offline as someone sort of caught in the crossfire if that makes any sense.

Warm Regards

- Con

This is disgraceful.

You have in a sense devalued this person in your mind and have justified it without knowing this person by claiming they are 'hurt'

Hurt; 1 a: to suffer pain or grief b: to be in need —usually used with for
2: to cause damage or distress

So logic dictates that you assume that you are unhurt???...a basis for the assumption of superiority?????

'talk of you offline as someone sort of caught in the crossfire'

Are you treating this as a 'war' as if one side has to win or not win??? There are no winners or superior ideals.

The person and we as people are not a lesser person than you because we do not believe in what you believe and talking to others who believe the same ideals about you will not give you an objective or unbiased opinion of others.

You could explain full well the case to Gigatronix it doesn't matter if a person believes or not they'res no law saying those that don't believe cannot listen or understand what's being said.

That is ignorance because one automatically assumes they have to be a believer to understand and explain because non-believers are stupid???

[edit on 1-6-2008 by SR]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyDEveryone needs to chose their battles (figure of speech) and realize when something is worth it and when it isn't.

Sigh,, I remember when I first saw you Ashley, you sure have grown a lot. I remember seeing how intelligent you were and seeing how naive at the same time. You were so carefull and so caring and I was so disappointed someone as sweet as you was involved in threads so heated with passionate opinions and polarism. I thought to myself,, "wow what a shame, she is going to get eaten alive by the vitriolic wolves of the opposition back then". I can say now, you not only didn't get eaten alive but have become a force to be reckoned with in CiR.

It makes me smile to see you have learned what you no longer feel you have to prove.

You know who you are now and,,

you can be proud of her.

I know I am

- Con

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Ash you're another "Bible Thumper" I always enjoy hearing from. Obviously we don't agree on some pretty important things, I do however appreciate the intellect and intelligence that I find in your posts.

About the ATheist on a Christian website anology: I see your point and it's a good one. However it was the closest scenario I could imagine that was comparable to what we see here. Whiel I don't condone excluding you based on your beliefs, I really do feel that if the roles were reversed, a Christian would probably prefer that I didn't post on their site, regardless of how intelligently I went about it. People like to be in their little groups, and don;t like outsiders coming in and challenging their assumptions and beliefs. Just human nature. Not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

Having made my feelings about religion known, I do feel that the constant bickering between Atheists and Believers to be detrimental to the website. I blame both sides equally, it takes 2 to make an argument. I've made my wishes known a million times around here, i won' repeat it again. Suffice it to say, very few people around here are listening.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SR

Hehe. SR I applaud your reasoning skills. I never really saw his post in that manner. I suppose looking at it that way I should feel insulted(I guess?) However, I did not look at it that way. I looked at it as someone who saw someone they could relate to and reached across the ideological divide to extend a friendly gesture. That's the way I saw it, and the way I will continue to see it. But thanks for looking out for me LOL.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SR

very sweet!
it's a language problem, i think. you kinda miss the nuances and phraseology, slang, and speak-ese of some of the conversation if it's not part of your
primary language. are you an english speaker from birth and intimately familar with american slang and culture?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR

This is disgraceful.

Hurt; 1 a: to suffer pain or grief b: to be in need —usually used with for
2: to cause damage or distress

So logic dictates that you assume that you are unhurt???...a basis for the assumption of superiority?????

'talk of you offline as someone sort of caught in the crossfire'

Are you treating this as a 'war' as if one side has to win or not win??? There are no winners or superior ideals.

The person and we as people are not a lesser person than you because we do not believe in what you believe and talking to others who believe the same ideals about you will not give you an objective or unbiased opinion of others.

You could explain full well the case to Gigatronix it doesn't matter if a person believes or not they'res no law saying those that don't believe cannot listen or understand what's being said.

That is ignorance because one automatically assumes they have to be a believer to understand and explain because non-believers are stupid???

[edit on 1-6-2008 by SR]

Wow what you just said is so screwed up on so many levels if you had any idea how presumptuous you are and how ignorant your attempt to portray this as what your mind reading skills have suggested is a war.

I have spoken to gig enough to know I like the person and Gig knows me well enough as most here do that for me to say ANYTHING about Atheist's showing ANY affinity or positive affirmation is a rare event. So when you say things like this:

You have in a sense devalued this person in your mind and have justified it without knowing this person by claiming they are 'hurt'

I devalue YOU not gig because it is YOU who has just illustrated where on the food chain or rung on the IQ ladder you are.

So if you want to live in the stock yards than keep on second guessing people thinking while acting like you know what yhou are talking about but do NOT assume you know ME or what I think of someone else.

Anyone that knows me or has read my posts can tell you I have never had a problem letting people know just where they stand and that includes you. I don't know you nor have you ever posted to me but I will overlook the faupax you have just made with me because I am feeling generous today. As for the hurt feelings regarding gig,,

Did it ever occur to you, that I might have thought Gig had hurt feelings because I had enough foresight and enough experience getting my own hurt for reasons that I might consider If I was Gig, I know mine would be.

No,, I bet ya didn't, you just

judged and jumped

shame on you

- Con

[edit on 1-6-2008 by Conspiriology]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
EDIT: Give me a moment. I'm thinking of whether or not to restore this comment or if it is even worth it.

EDIT AGAIN: Came to the conclusion it isn't. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend.

[edit on 6/1/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

awww, well i for one, was looking forward to your thoughts.

i look forward to everyone's thoughts.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I am going to point out to everyone though that she makes a statement, then after you reply to it, she goes back and changes her original one, tweaking a few words here and there, sometimes adding in whole new sections and taking a bunch of other ones out, to make it look like you're reply was the one that was obsurd...This same thing I think happened to John Lear.

I do have a question. I did not think that it was possible to go back and edit a post after a few minutes. I have gone back to some of my posts later to adjust my words, so as not to display an attitude I felt was being expressed, and found that the edit option was no longer available. Am I wrong? How long does it last?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

We disagree on many if not most things, but here is something that I feel we can agree on!

Here is something that helps;

The Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

It helps to know our limitations. I can say that I truly do not care what any of you think and I mean it. If I and someone can have an intelligent conversation with very diverse views, or someone is meant to hear what I say, or you say, then, that is what counts. To heck with those who don't. Otherwise, we end up giving too much power away.

Curiosity is very tempting (what people say or feel about us) but it did kill the cat!! It can be a very codependent trait.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
reply to post by skyshow

I am going to point out to everyone though that she makes a statement, then after you reply to it, she goes back and changes her original one, tweaking a few words here and there, sometimes adding in whole new sections and taking a bunch of other ones out, to make it look like you're reply was the one that was obsurd...This same thing I think happened to John Lear.

I do have a question. I did not think that it was possible to go back and edit a post after a few minutes. I have gone back to some of my posts later to adjust my words, so as not to display an attitude I felt was being expressed, and found that the edit option was no longer available. Am I wrong? How long does it last?

I've seen different ones. Sometimes I can go back after a couple days and other times I close the site, come back, and can't.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by HHH Is King

and other times I close the site, come back, and can't.

Ya, this has been my experience. There were a few times that I wished I could go back and change something because reading it later it sounded - abrupt, or a little angry, when I wasn't!

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

the dictionary

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Maybe....we evo-loved from space dust only to have an alien race mess with our genes and pretend to be god in some cosmic game of boredom.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Amazingly, a very simple and obvious truth just occurred to me. A fascist government will destroy ATS. Whether you're atheist, religious, or somewhere in between, a government filled with greedy powerful men will destroy ATS, and any other bastion of free thought.

So enjoy your Christian/Atheist bashing while you can, because before long, we won't be able to do it at all.

And then we'll be thinking to ourselves"Gee I wish I would have put aside my philosophical differences and made an alliance for the sake of the freedom we both shared....and lost."

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Area 51. A testing ground for the USAF or an intelligent operation on gathering intelligence?

This parcel of land has both confused and liberated our minds for countless years and more than likely, will do for many more. I say 'liberated' because of our deep desire to search, perhaps even know the truth. Many would agree that the government's of not just the US, but the world over, have a right to keep this information from us.

But what is the likely outcome from doing so? With growing scepticism around the activities of these goverments growing everyday, one can only imagine that the day will come when the truth can no longer be denied. But with it will bring an irrevocable frenzy as what we may have thought possible, is clearer than a blue sky. For the greater good of all man kind, it is not our right to know these secrets of government. It is their responsibility to protect and keep us safe from not only things that could harm us physically, but from those that could do us harm phycologically.

Out of all the people that I have ever spoken to about this topic, I have asked them one very simple question. And that is, "If you did infact come in to contact with something unexplained how do think you would feel, really?"

It is this paranormal experience that both excites us and scars us. As we verge closer to seeking answers to our questions, I ask you to bear in mind that very same question. After all it is one thing to search for the truth, but is definately another to actually find it!

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join