It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rainbow Serpents

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
That dang Miter Hat again!!

Yes, the Irish kept the serpent strong in their culture. The Vatican made sure it absorbed it into their symbolism. They took everything as their own. Thieves, all of them. lol.

The Sumerian stuff, reptillian race, giants, all creeps me out, but it is facinating. Giants moving massive stone blocks makes sense to me.

OT: I have many dreams about lions. I have had them for years. But I have never been afraid of them.. They are like companions. Protective and they usually surprise me in the dream by being somewhere I do not expect. which will probably surprise Skyfloating, (where is he?) because I have told him some of my fears in U2U.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Yes that dang Miter hat again

I tell you what creeped me out lol I posted that comment earlier on the Vatican being steeped in snake and dragon symbolism and created a link to a picture of the main central Crest ( The Serpent Crest ) in the Vatican-museum and when I clicked to look again a few hours later the Jpg could nolonger be found ???? Are Vatican staff reading the Rainbow Serpent Thread ????
I know just a coincidence

About a year ago I started doing some research into my family history and found something very interesting about snake symbolism traditionally my family crest was of Sable two lions rampant combatant argent armed but there was another crest with a much more interesting background. Connell son of Niall "of the Nine Hostages - is recorded in the life of St. Patrick as having been converted to Christianity by that saint, who, to reward him for his singular zeal, impressed a cross upon his shield, with his crozier - ( staff of Jesus (Bachall Isa) directing him and his descendants ever afterwards to bear as the emblem of victory - the crest and motto In Hoc Signo Vinces.

Was the staff of Jesus the same as the staff of Moses or the Rod of Aaron ????

This Rod was also called the Rod of God and represented Aaron - The first High Priest of the Aaronic priesthood ?? Allegorically it also signifies the High Priesthood of Christ !!!! The rod held Serpentine power and the serpent from the Rod swallowed the serpents created by the Pharaohs sorcerers.

When Moses and Aaron went before Pharaoh, they did exactly as the Lord had commanded. Their staff became a snake, which in the Hebrew text is denoted by two different terms, one of which is the very same word used earlier in Genesis to describe Eve's tempter, nahash (see Exodus 7:9, 10, 15). Either through sleight of hand or by demonic power, Pharaoh's magicians were able to duplicate the action and turn their staffs into serpents as well. In what might be viewed as a quintessential showdown between God and the devil, the serpent of Jehovah swallowed up the serpents of Pharaoh as the God of Israel demonstrated his omnipotent supremacy (see Exodus 7:10–13).

This scene dramatically illustrates the duality of serpent imagery in the scriptures.

Why did St Patrick replace the snake symbol ( Serpent worship ) with a cross ( Christianity ) using a Serpent Staff ????

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Just thought I'd throw my own little piece of australian aboriginal knowledge into the mix...

Some of the tribes practice a form of male genital mutilation called 'penile subincision' - it is a male rite of initiation to basically make their penis into both a penis and a symbolic 'vagina'. the ritual takes place in a hole/pit which is (IIRC from cultural anthro class) adorned with serpent symbols. the whole idea is to represent the creative capacity of the female, along with symbolically being reborn, and ensuring a continuation of the life-giving (and destroying) bounty of mother earth. this may also have a relation to the whole idea of the bullroarer being stolen from the women, as women possess the gift of creation (birth).

I've long considered these global connections, and for me if it isn't evidence of the ancient gods being aliens/future humans/whatever, then it is evidence of a very ancient, homogenous global culture which could have been destroyed by i.e. global nuclear war.

for example, if 99% of the population died tomorrow and all that was left were maybe 2000 breeding pairs of flying spaghetti-monsterists, in 40,000 years we'd probably find similar tales relating to spaghetti monsterism the world over.

and on that note, since i suck i can't remember the name of it, but theres a theory that posits that 70,000 years ago humans hit a population bottleneck due to some kind of cataclysm that left us with about 2000 breeding pairs worldwide. something to do with mitochondrial dna or something.

sweet post!

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Thanks Destiny-Fate. I had a snake dream last night.

I am blaming you anyway. lol
They came out of a bowl of eggs. One was white and weird looking. like an alien. It came out first from a very large egg that was called a tuning egg. WTF? and it chased me, but it was small like a worm. I chased it out the door of my kitchen and a bird swooped down and ate it. Ahh. relief. Then a beautiful green snake, your typical snake, came out of the normal eggs. I was more afraid of it. It went out the kitchen door too after chasing me. then I woke up.

I don't know much religious history, (thank goodness) but the rod thing reminded me of the rod and circle that those Sumerians had in their hands and then the Egyptians. I still want to know what that is.

If I am every reborn as an Aborigene, I want to be a girl. That doesn't sound like a fun ritual.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CallMeMaury
When you look at a rainbow, it looks most like a snake than any other creature. And primitive peoples would not be able to explain it. If you put yourself in their mindset it would probably be a pretty awe inspiring sight. This could explain why so many mythologies feature a rainbow serpent.

However, ithe info presented here is tantalizing. I'm just giving another guess as to why all the rainbow serpent business.

Hi, Maury

Well one guess is as good as another, IMO.

I don't really think a rainbow looks too much like a serpent, but who really knows? A rainbow comes from rain and sunshine, generally speaking, so I would think that the mix might be involved.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

i mentioned this earlier in this thread, i think...but at Nexusmagazine.com there is a .pdf file that has a story called "The Dragon Snake". They talk about a colorful dragon that comes and does horrible things to their people. The mythos started around the turn of the last century, so it is just a little over 100 years old...fresh myths, basically.

The story can be found here.

The parallels in concept are striking. I believe the location was Guadal Canal. Distant, but not too distant.

Also consider the kachina's of Hopi lore (that may have been mentioned earlier, as well).

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

i mentioned this earlier in this thread, i think...but at Nexusmagazine.com there is a .pdf file that has a story called "The Dragon Snake". They talk about a colorful dragon that comes and does horrible things to their people. The mythos started around the turn of the last century, so it is just a little over 100 years old...fresh myths, basically.

The story can be found here.

The parallels in concept are striking. I believe the location was Guadal Canal. Distant, but not too distant.

Also consider the kachina's of Hopi lore (that may have been mentioned earlier, as well).

I missed a few things in this thread, it grew so large! I am trying to access the link to the pdf at Nexus, but adobe reader encounters a problem each time I try to open it.

I wonder if there is another link or something I could use? I really want to read about it so if you know of another way to it please let me know!

The Kachina's were thought of as a "good" thing, aren't they?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
one of the kachina's was considered as being MUCH less auspicious. The Blue one, maybe...been awhile since i read that stuff.

you might try downloading adobe readers newest version. you also might try downloading the regular pdf and opening it (rather than doing it in your browser with the link).

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
Thanks Destiny-Fate. I had a snake dream last night.

I am blaming you anyway. lol

I don't know much religious history, (thank goodness) but the rod thing reminded me of the rod and circle that those Sumerians had in their hands and then the Egyptians. I still want to know what that is.

Okay I accept full responsibility for your snake dream lol The eggs were symbolic - me planting snake seeds in your subconscious
No all joking aside - that dream of yours could represent something very significant for you - The Ouroboros was also thought to embrace the mystic World Egg. The original serpent protecting the world egg was female, a mother-serpent. Remember a hooded snake became the guardian spirit of the Buddha and protected him from any harm with his hood. Symbolic of Rebirth.

Thanks to another member of ATS Swingarm - I think we have solved the riddle of the Rod / Staff ( PINECONES )

He posted a very interested video on another thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13-7-2008 by destiny-fate]

[edit on 13-7-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Okay, back on topic

[EX]At the beginning of time, two sisters were traveling across the landscape giving names to the features of a previously unnamed world. One carried a child; the other was pregnant. They had both committed incest in their own country, the country of the Wawilak. One carried the child of her brother; the other carried the child of her father in her womb. Carrying spears and stones of the men of their country, they carried food and hunted game, prophesying that everything they collected would soon become set apart (sacred/taboo).

At last, having traversed many countries, they arrived at a waterhole in which, unknown to them, dwelt the great Rainbow snake. This snake was a kinsperson to the sisters. As the pregnant sister felt she was about to give birth, the other sister began to help her. They camped by the waterhole and lit a fire on which to cook their hunted game.

As the sister, helped by her companion, began to give birth, afterbirth blood began flowing into the sacred pool, polluting it and arousing the Rainbow snake. A rain cloud, lightning flashes and a rainbow appeared in the sky: the snake was emerging in anger from its hole, unleashing the season of rain, floods and storms. The night was dark except for the thin curve of the moon. As the woman’s genital blood flowed, the cooking fire became suddenly ineffective. The plants and game, which the women had collected for food refused to cook, jumped up alive from the fire on which they had been placed and dove like men into the nearby blood-streaked waterhole. The well waters began to rise.

“Go away! Go away!,” the sisters cried, as they became aware of the immense snake in the sky. They did not know, that the snake was their kinsperson. Seized with fear, they danced to make the snake go away. But the dancing brought on the second sister’s menstrual flow, attracting the snake even more. The waterhole began overflowing, flooding the dry land all around them.[/EX]

This is a very old Aboriginal story

[EX]Now, filled with foreboding and despair, the sisters fled into a menstrual hut that they had built. Inside the hut, they were both shedding blood—they sang “Yurlunggur and menstrual blood”—the most taboo and potent of the songs known to them: the angry snake thrust its nose into the hut and swallowed the women and their children alive.

Black clouds now blotted out the sky, and rain crashed down in a fierce storm. As the waters enveloped the world, the women continued to bleed. Inside the snake, the women began to undergo a transformation, moving into another realm, beyond death. The two sisters became the snake. In a voice of thunder, the great snake roared. It was the spirits of the two sisters who were speaking out of the snake’s mouth. “We are here now,” the sisters said. “The snake has eaten us. We are the Marraian, the sacred knowledge of Wittee (the snake). Our spirits talk through Wittee for another world.” The snake became erect, like a tree, its head stretching high into the clouds, and the sisters in this way continued to give names to the world. [/EX]

And a Poem from the same source:

Myth tells of the power of my blood

Rainbow snake, so tempted, so drawn…

You say the snake was angry, but I question you, [4]

Was it angry, or did it like my sisters’ blood?

Mimetic rivalry has made you spite me and my kind because we can bleed,

again

again

again

and not die. [5] When you bleed, it is a sign of your mortality. When we bleed it is a sign of our ability to create life. We create and continue life, you are born and you die.

You have a single life.

We have many lives through our children. [6]

You have turned the myth into your own rite and ritual. You say that our blood is impure, but look at you-

cutting yourself, your arms, your penis—to make yourself bleed.

You flail your body to spread your blood on your thighs and the body of your brothers. [7] You think this is like my blood.

You have no idea.

My blood is not just any blood; it is not the blood of the heart.

It is the blood of creation.

It is thick and rich.

You say, when you make yourself bleed that you are menstruating with your brothers. You want the power of synchronicity. You create it out of falsity. You cut yourself.

Inherent is the unity my sisters and I share—

We bleed together, with each other, together with the moon: like the tides of the ocean, we fall into the cycle of the earth.

This is power.

Like the Rainbow snake, vital is our blood.

Like the Rainbow snake, we are paradoxical, we are both of this life and of the next generations,

like the Rainbow snake is of both the heavens and the depths. [8]

The myth tells the truth, of fertility. Blood pours from the Wawilak sister’s vaginas into the life-giving waterhole. Rains come and the land is made fertile,

fertile land depends on water;

fertile life depends on my blood.

My blood possesses a fertility that your blood will never have, no matter how many times you cut yourself and spread your blood over your skin and that of your brothers.

Mimetic rivalry has caused you to shun me in my times of blood. You are jealous. I have a power that you can never have and so you tell me that I am dirty, impure, profane. When really, you know that I am sacred, that above all, my blood is sacred. My blood created you, and your father and your brothers and your grandfather and your chief.

You cut your penis to create solidarity between you and your brothers. Simultaneously, you separate yourselves from the defilement of women’s blood; you see our blood as dangerous. [9] You are admitting the power and sacrality of our reproductive power by marking our blood dangerous. You make our blood a sacred object of community worship by expressing its contagious nature. [10]

The power of my blood can take away the powers of those for whom blood means death. In my time of blood, I threaten your virility, your hunting precision. [11] I may threaten you, but my sisters are not affected. I am a threat to you, because I have a power that you want and can never have.

When I bleed, it means I can create life. When you bleed, you die. No life can be built without blood. [12]

[EX]God had further intercourse with is earth-wife and this time, without mishaps of any kind, the excision of the former offending member having removed the cause of the former disorder. Water, the divine seed, thus entered the womb of the earth and a normal reproductive cycle resulted in the desired birth of twins. The beings that were born were half human and half serpent. Their red eyes were wide open like human eyes, and their tongues were forked like the tongues of reptiles: their arms flexible and without joints. Their bodies were green and sleek all over, shining like the surface of water, and covered with short green hairs, a presage of vegetation and germination.

These two spirits, called Nummo, were thus two homogenous products of God, of divine essence like himself, conceived without untoward incidents. The pair was born perfect and complete. They were made of God’s seed, which is at once the ground, the form, the substance of the life force or the world, from which derives the motion and the persistence of created being. This force is water, and the pair is present in all water: seas, torrents, storms, and the spoonfuls we drink. Nummo, the twins, represents the ideal unit, as one. The twins’ destiny took them to heaven, to receive the instruction of their Father.

The Nummo, looking down from Heaven, saw their mother, the earth, naked and speechless, as a consequence of the original incident in her relations with the God Amma. It was necessary to put an end to this state of disorder. The Nummo thus came down to earth bringing with them fibers of plants pulled from the heavenly regions. These fibers fell in coils, symbolizing the nature of the earth in spirals, seasons, the nature of water and infinity and covered their mother’s genitalia[/EX]

Much more from source:

www.coloradocollege.edu...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by destiny-fate

the serpent of Jehovah swallowed up the serpents of Pharaoh as the God of Israel demonstrated his omnipotent supremacy (see Exodus 7:10–13).

This scene dramatically illustrates the duality of serpent imagery in the scriptures.

Why did St Patrick replace the snake symbol ( Serpent worship ) with a cross ( Christianity ) using a Serpent Staff ????

Thats a good question and odd indeed. I didnt realize that even the early christians seemed to have had some pro-serpent leanings.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yes there are many references about serpents and dragons throughout the bible - and one I find particularly interesting

Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be? Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things? Verily, verily I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness. If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if i tell you of heavenly things?

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3: 9-16

[edit on 18-7-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The Rainbow serpent formed Australia, the rivers and the mountains.
According to the elders of the aboriginal tribes of the area the rainbow serpent lives/sleeps within the Swan river which is 5 10 minutes from where i live.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
They came out of a bowl of eggs. One was white and weird looking. like an alien. It came out first from a very large egg that was called a tuning egg. WTF? and it chased me, but it was small like a worm. I chased it out the door of my kitchen and a bird swooped down and ate it. Ahh. relief. Then a beautiful green snake, your typical snake, came out of the normal eggs. I was more afraid of it. It went out the kitchen door too after chasing me. then I woke up.

I could not stop thinking about your dream - I just felt it was very significant and it’s meaning came to me today. Your dream was about something man has contemplated from the beginning of time. It has been mentioned in numerous Myths and Legends. I remembered reading about it in a book - Pliny the Elder - his Natural History - in it he mentioned druids creating something called ovum anguinum or snake’s egg. Also know as snake’s gem or druid’s gem.

The 'Druid's egg' or 'serpent's egg' or 'snake stone', was an object which had magic properties. The tales about it resemble those of the Philosopher's Stone sought by the alchemists; and the Grail sought by the Chivalric knights. It may also remind Greek scholars of the Zeus egg (a meteoritic stone) which was kept at Delphi. The possessor of the druid's egg was said to gain immense magical power, and the powers named were those of the high bard or chief druid or high wizard. The druid's egg could be found on St Johns Eve (an important night on the goddess lunar calendar), when snakes were supposed to gather in a ball and create a 'glain', another name for this magic egg.

The first snake you saw was small like a worm and white - this first manifestation was not successful because the metamorphosis was resonating on too high a frequency - white is symbolic of Pure Consciousness---sattva-- upward movement, the light and manifestation - too much spirit - too much light.

Tuning Egg

Light is electromagnetic energy within a narrow range of frequencies that are higher frequency than microwaves, but lower frequency than x-rays. The eye/brain acts like a tuned, high-frequency radio receiver

The second manifestation was the next transition and it was successful because the colour was green - Green is the alchemy of consciousness from one realm to another through the spiralling energies of DNA this colour is earthy and more suited to the earth realm - meaning in your dream you were staring right at the Philosophers stone and watching as it transitioned between different states of being and becoming.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Wow, I never would have pulled all that out of my dream. So in your mind, why would I be more afraid of an earthly green snake(supposedly the first color/colour we saw) than I was a white alien worm? So I am confused, is this "egg" an egg or a stone? A meteor? What powers do meteors have? And why would a certain month or day of the goddess calendar produce more of these to be found? Do we have regular meteor showers we can depend on?

[edit on 22-7-2008 by seagrass]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

To be honest I think most people are afraid of the dark hidden aspects of their own nature ( represented by the green colour in your dream ) - and that evaluation pretty much sums me up as well. Earlier in this thread I posted my thoughts on blood and sacrifice - then had that horrible nightmare - I started analysing the deeper aspects of my own personality and nature - and realised something very important.

If we view our mind more like a tree - ( The Conscious Mind ) ( Intellect ) ( Air ) - consisting of the main trunk - branches and leaves - always striving and reaching for the light - but on another level hidden deep below the surface we have our Subconscious - ( the roots or hidden elements of our thoughts ) - buried deep within the EARTH ( Darkness )

Most people equate darkness with evil but why ????

When you really analyse the functioning elements of the human brain - where do you think real evil would stem from ? ( Not the darkness ) as the darkness is primal - instinctual - natural. A good friend of mine tried to explain this to me - but I just could not grasp it at the time.

There’s a fine line between genius and insanity - many that have traversed the realms of the subconscious end up going insane - perhaps that is why we fear it so much ?? But it is in the realms of our subconscious all the Gods of old were born !!! Where all the myths and legends stem from and where all REAL knowledge is drawn.

Definition of Subconscious

The term subconscious is defined as existing or operating in the mind beneath or beyond conscious awareness. The word was coined by the psychologist Pierre Janet, who credited it with a hidden level of awareness and automatism.

The serpents eggs were an oval ball of crystal said to be produced from the foam of a number of snakes in congress. As the snakes twined together in mass they threw off these globes, that were formed from vicious slime. By their hissing the ball was thrown into the air and if a druid could catch it in a cloth before it fell he could run off with it. This act of snakes was only performed one season of the year - in summer - and on the occasion of a given moon.

Many have speculated the “Serpents” were none other than the druids themselves.

Interestingly the article stated - The eggs were usually green in colour.

But I do believe what you saw or sensed was metaphysical/spiritual - the snake eggs were not a physical object as such. Religious / spiritual priests often use physical objects as a means to focus their will on an outcome ( manifestation )- but in truth - if a person has undergone an alchemical transformation into higher consciousness there would be no need to use a physical object or tool to transmute energy - that power would lie within and could be implemented with thought alone.

[edit on 26-7-2008 by destiny-fate]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Sorry it has taken so long to respond. But the information in your last post -took me down a totally different path of thought and got me thinking about Umbilical cords. lol

Since ancient society, the Earth has been identified with the womb of motherhood. The cave and the hole of the earth shown in the myth symbolize a women's vagina and birth canal, respectively. The ocean and the primary sea shown in the myth symbolize the fetal amniotic fluid. The snake (especially two, entwined snakes) repeated in myth and in ancient art stands as a metaphor for the umbilical cord. The hero that slays the snake reflects the cutting of the umbilical cord when a woman gives birth. There are many myths of snakes in the world, especially in China: Fuxi(sun god) and Nuwa(moon goddess)'s lower halves of bodies were entwined like copulating snakes. Fuxi and Nuwa's figure of entwined snakes symbolizes the umbilical cord and perhaps inspired our Korean term for an entwined straw rope as 'Gumjul(sacred rope)', which is hung on a gate to indicate that a new baby was just born in that house. This ritual also spread to Japan and called 'Shimenawa' in that country. 'Sam-Sin' is a god of birth who plays a role of midwife in Korean myth.

The umbilical cord is developed from the same zygote as the fetus, the umbilical cord normally contains two arteries and one vein, buried within Wharton’s jelly. The umbilical vein supplies the fetus with oxygenated, nutrient-rich blood from the placenta.

The umbilical cord develops from and contains remnants of the YOLK SAC and ALLANTOIS (and is therefore derived from the same ZYGOTE as the FETUS).

A zygote (from Greek zugōtos ‘joined’, from zugoun ‘to join’) is a cell that is the result of fertilization. That is, two haploid cells—usually an ovum from a female and a sperm cell from a male—merge into a single diploid cell called the zygote (or zygocyte).

Is the umbilical cord the shadow portion of the fetus in some respects ??? Is the umbilical cord the sacrificed twin ?? Perhaps a physical manifestation of the soul aspect of ourselves - the duality of being and spirit.

[edit on 26-7-2008 by destiny-fate]

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join