It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we do away with animated avatars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This has bothered me for a while now.

Animated Avatars.

Hurt my eyes and takes my focus away from the information that I am trying to read.

So, can we do away with Animated Avatars?

Am I the alone on this?

CT

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I always have to put my browser in a window and offset it, so the left part is off the screen so I don't have to look at the animated avatars. They distract me like crazy and I find myself getting annoyed with the poster no matter what his commentary is in the post. They're fun and creative (well, some of them) but the flashing and frantic repetitions are extremely distracting.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by jupiter869]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

I always have to put my browser in a window and offset it, so the left part is off the screen so I don't have to look at the animated avatars.

Im almost ashamed to admit that I hadn't thought of that. But on the other hand, I like to know who's post I am reading.

CT

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I do appreciate the creativity that goes into animated avatars, but the flash rate on some of them is very annoying to my eyes.

In all honesty, sometime I leave the thread, or I find myself reading real fast, so I can scroll the avatar up, and out of my view.

IMHO, I think some people are much more sensitive to this, and the poster with the high flashing rate may actually be distracting the reader from his/her message.

Could we at least discuss the possible limit on the frames per second?

Thanks OP for bringing this up for discussion.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
what about the people that have subliminal frames in their looping avatars? how will they persuade you to buy timeshare without it?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yeah I agree, they are so annoying! They should really take it down ASAP.

It's like trying to drive and there is lights everywhere, and people and cars and so many things, how can you drive!

[edit on 11-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have to agree. Not all animated avatars are as distracting as others, but there are some that are intolerable.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Yeah I agree, they are so annoying! They should really take it down ASAP.

I wonder where we could start?

Originally posted by seawolf197
Thanks OP for bringing this up for discussion.

No problem.

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Not all animated avatars are as distracting as others, but there are some that are intolerable

I agree. Some, such as _Phoenix_ arent so bad. But some others (without naming names) could easily cause an epileptic fit.

CT

edit to add posted by part of quote.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by Conspiracy Theorist]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
phoenix, hahahha!

Suggestion, maybe an option for everyone to shut down the avatar for your own account?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist

I wonder where we could start?

lol I was just joking around with you.

I do understand your pain thou. It would be great if there was an option to block someone's avatar if it is not easy on the eyes, the same way you can ignore someone, but instead you choose to ignore a certain avatar.

But I wonder if they would have to make a whole update to the site? A lot of work maybe? Or is that possible to do now?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Phoenix, I know you are just kidding around. But think about it.... One is not encouraged to read a book while driving a car.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by seawolf197
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Phoenix, I know you are just kidding around. But think about it.... One is not encouraged to read a book while driving a car.

OH COME ON!! I read books, drive, eat and talk on the mobile all at the same time, and I do FINE!
If I can do that, I'm sure you can read this site!!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
its not the avatar's that bother me, i do sometimes have to turn off the radio to concentrate!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
As noted, moving avatars are distracting, but . . . if we shut them down individually would that impact the scenes, animations etc. that change in the main body of the message?

My wish is that the posters location be noted.
It doesn't have to be the exact location.
Something like Southern California or even the country the poster is located in would help to understand their viewpoint.

What I really don't understand are the avatars put up by folks who are pacifist, but have mighty warriors and the like for their avatars.

Not to mention the gender confusion engendered by some of the posters avatars....

[edit on 11-5-2008 by Desert Dawg]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
As noted, moving avatars are distracting, but . . . if we shut them down individually would that impact the scenes, animations etc. that change in the main body of the message?

This is a technical question best answered by Skeptic Overlord. Hopefully he, or someone else with the ability, will stumble into this thread and help us out.

CT

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
This has been on my mind recently. No all animations are distracting but there is one with a red, lumpy background that is flashing behind the picture that is really annoying to me. I cannot see a purpose other than to annoy. It gets my attention but in a less than positive way.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
My wish is that the posters location be noted.
It doesn't have to be the exact location.
Something like Southern California or even the country the poster is located in would help to understand their viewpoint.

It's a global village. You're very likely to find in a majority of cases that:
1. The person posting from an exotic locale was born or educated elsewhere;
2. Anyone wanting you to know where they are from will likely put it in their location;
3. Anyone wanting to mislead you as to viewpoint could just imply the wrong location.

What I really don't understand are the avatars put up by folks who are pacifist, but have mighty warriors and the like for their avatars.

Huh? Plenty of 'mighty warriors' especially as depicted in comic book lore are pacifists. In fact there's a quote to that effect in the new Iron Man movie.

IMdB

Tony Stark: They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only need to fire once. That's how dad did it, that's how America does it, and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Of course, one might say he reverses his opinion, later. In favor of Peace, he still functions as an army of one.

Not to mention the gender confusion engendered by some of the posters avatars....

What? Gender confusion in avatars? I only know of one of those. Care to give an example?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I have ignored two users due to the fast flash rate of animated avatars. It is very annoying.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I cant say any animated avatar has ever drawn me away from what Im reading. Usually when looking for a reply or post I'l be scanning quickly for the avatar so its often a help in that way standing out.. besides I think they are cool, tho I dont know about epileptic strobey ones... obviously they cant be good

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I can understand the frustration of older members (don't take that the wrong way, but I am referring to age in years), such things can get annoying from time to time. I think perhaps an effective idea would be to limit animated avatars to be set within a certain set of parameters. That'd probably have to be talked about and finalized in staff discussion though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join