It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we do away with animated avatars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

Yep, however there will be many many people who don't read this thread and my fear is they will be bothered or somehow detered from a post or thread I participate in because of it =)

It doesn't bother me to change it, was a little difference anyways.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by labyrinth101
If the flashing is bothering you or you feel it may induce an epileptic episode press the 'esc' key to freeze the animations on the page. This works in IE and Firefox, not sure about other browsers. Hope this provides some relief until a solution is worked out.

Are you married yet?

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Animated avatars serve an important task. It weeds out those who are easily distracted. It's like showing something shiny to an annoying child who's interrupting a discussion between adults.

If you're easily distracted by my avatar, you probably wouldn't be able to add much to the thread anyway.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
That’s an interesting thought. I have the same idea about those animated shioops that is crapping my screens: Made by teenagers used by teenagers.

But all is good now for there is this key you know, shutting those bloody zzzzzzzzzzitkids right up. I so love to press this shiny never before used still marked killer button!

klikliklik

No more!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
From the response to the ESC tip I see I'm not the only one annoyed by these avatars.

I wanna thank you for it too, labyrint. More quick and easy than scrolling the screen.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by labyrinth101

Thank you. Very much.

Now I can read a thread without ending up with a headache from the demon (read animated) avatars.

CT

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If all due respect OP... Yes some of those Giffs give me a some issues..

Yet please not this.. We have a TAC.. and just as long as its within the T&C we should allow it without disdain or anger.

A good vidoe that might see where your thoughts are leading..

You dont like.. while other do.. And aslong as it doesn break the T&C.. Stoping tring to impose what you feel the way the world should be..

You are leading into a very dark path..

Yet agin.. I do understand what you are saying.. But me.. Zysin5 can see all sides to this story...

IM with you to a point. symbols and sigals can be manipulaing, but would like to offer the other side to where your thoughts lead.. problem, solution, reaction..

We here on ATS fight aginst thought control... And you are inforcing your own veiw on what should be.. We are one.. and thats why I undestand party of what you say.. Yet there are 2 sides to every event.

IF they bother you, take it up with them, not us...
WE dont need thought control.. We are those who admire self expression in its many forms.. LIke it or not.. its expression!!!!!

[edit on 11-5-2008 by zysin5]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I won't be afraid to say it. It's that guy with the chomping head. I had to use the ignore function on him, and he might actually have something nice to say. Too bad I have a mac....

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
just dock me the 20 points

[edit on 5/11/08 by stikkinikki]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

Ehrm, it is nice that everyone can express themselves and I don’t care if one does but here’s the but. I don’t like this crap polluting my screens. My computer is not some kind of public restroom. So one can express his but to the moon as long as I can close the curtains and are not being forced to watch the crack between the cheeks.

I think the OP had a good point posting his thread and what’s more, it created a solution! Now you can do your ballet and I can freezz frame. Everybody happy. No harm done, no danger no manipulating no mind control but most of all, no animation! What a world.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

I guess you didnt read my post.. Many giffs give me greif. while trying to fous on said woredig of the post..

So yes lets just bann all giff files, an say to hell with ones self expression. is that what you want to hear..

Or did you read my post, and belive that there are 2 sides to all to stories.

Should we bann them all together, or just go with the T&C of the given rule of thumbhere...
Yes some giffs are whatwe call symbols and sigals. that can manipulate ones feelings of a subect...
This lead us into a grea debate... Thus do you feel the T&C shoul be rewritten to suit those who are offeneded, Or better yet taken off chose, becasue they choose to look at an avatar, not not the message of said poster.. Yes I agree this has 2 sides to the story..
I will not deny that... But I will not deny many force their ideas upon others becasue they personally do not feel its right..

What is right for you is not right for someone else bottom line..
Yet I am willing to conside both sides, and not be bias just becasue I am an artist, and do not confrom..
And I do not confrom becasue other disagree... But becasue I personally dont agree... Everyone has their own right to what they feel.
I do not deny that fact.. Is there any middle ground we can agre upon?
Or are you set in your ways, and I am set in my ways..

My question.. What is our commman ground.. Where we can come to an agreement.. I have no desire to be one sided.. I never have.
I can agree to disagree.. Yet if you make a soild point I will be more than happy to consider that point, and apply it to my life.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
If you focus, then it will not bother you...you can either look or not look...you can visually block it out. So I say no, Unless a rule comes in to check. Animated avatars are phun.

[edit on 11-5-2008 by Ramb0]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Yeah I agree, they are so annoying!

Glad you agree
I mean that flash rate could give someone you don't know an epileptic seisure...

And then how would you feel?

So ummm we can expect you to lead the pac and change yours yes? Seeing as you agree

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I guess you didnt read my post..

Guessed wrong, didn’t watched the vid though.

So yes lets just bann all giff files, an say to hell with ones self expression. is that what you want to hear..

nope

Or did you read my post, and belive that there are 2 sides to all to stories.

Not to all stories. There are stories with far more and there are also stories with none or less.

Should we bann them all together, or just go with the T&C of the given rule of thumbhere...
Yes some giffs are whatwe call symbols and sigals. that can manipulate ones feelings of a subect...
This lead us into a grea debate... Thus do you feel the T&C shoul be rewritten to suit those who are offeneded, Or better yet taken off chose, becasue they choose to look at an avatar, not not the message of said poster.. Yes I agree this has 2 sides to the story..
I will not deny that... But I will not deny many force their ideas upon others becasue they personally do not feel its right..

I don’t believe the OP was trying to get the ‘expressions’ banned, he was mere seeking a solution and this has been given. A case well closed but for this one has to read all the way thrue the thread and this bridges me to my question to you>: Did you do such outrageous reading or did you just skip the fun part of reading the expressions of all the participants of this topic?

What is right for you is not right for someone else bottom line..
Yet I am willing to conside both sides, and not be bias just becasue I am an artist, and do not confrom..
And I do not confrom becasue other disagree... But becasue I personally dont agree... Everyone has their own right to what they feel.
I do not deny that fact.. Is there any middle ground we can agre upon?
Or are you set in your ways, and I am set in my ways..

There is no left or right, there is a middle and this means you may express yourself and I may not watch it.

My question.. What is our commman ground.. Where we can come to an agreement.. I have no desire to be one sided.. I never have.
I can agree to disagree.. Yet if you make a soild point I will be more than happy to consider that point, and apply it to my life.

My solid point is. Everyone can make gifs now knowing it is not annoying anyone thanks to this thread because when one presses ESC, all animation seizes. (Totaly kewl) This making me happy and you not knowing I press this secret button on my state of the art keyboard are happy cause you have your expression not taken away from you (what I think would not have happened anyway.)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by labyrinth101

Now how come no one ever told me THAT

Genius... pure Genius... Thanks

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
getting rid of animated avatars is ~THE BEST IDEA~ i have seen for the site in a LOOOOOONG time....

The avatars are getting worse as the ability to animate improves.

Something calm like a softly flickering fire is ok, but when 2 faces flash back and forth as if in argument blinking in your face it is to annoying for me to even bother reading the post.......

It is a PROVEN FACT that watching fast blinking changing lights can send some people into a seizure and this is harmful to those people. I can see some kid coming to this site and going into a grand mall because of some ridiculous avatar some member here just 'has to use' because they think its neat

I actually have written a u2u to a few people begging them to take the blinky av down, as I like the way they post and want to continue to read what they write. When they refuse I have to put them on block.
I am gaining a block list based solely on flashy bright blinky avatars that give me a headache while I am on ATS......I think this is sad as many of these posters have interesting things to say........

Blinky flashy avatars area as bad if not WORSE than adds that we complain about....worse in the sense that they are forced upon us if we want to read what the person has to say, and the only way to avoid them is to block the poster.

Sorry to rant on here but this is a serious issue for me on this site as the last few months I get headaches trying to stick with a thread full of these avatars.

Save us Skeptic Overlord! Your our only hope!!

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
As there is a easy solution (I mean for god's sake one button solves the issue) I don't see as this thread is going anywhere.

Yes there are a few avatars whos blinking motions do distract. Now we understand that hitting the ESC button disables these GIF animations we can understand how to avoid the problem and thus contribute to this site in our own way without these avatars interfearing with our posts.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Yes I just now saw this post...

Originally posted by labyrinth101
If the flashing is bothering you or you feel it may induce an epileptic episode press the 'esc' key to freeze the animations on the page. This works in IE and Firefox, not sure about other browsers. Hope this provides some relief until a solution is worked out.

And came back to edit to apologise for not reading the entire thread before replying but......oh well I did...I jump in sometimes after reading just the first page then go back to the other pages.....

wow this ESC information should be on the board home page.......its great to know.....
now I can unblock some great posters......YAY!

[edit on 12-5-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
No doubt some of the best and worst avatars are the animated gifs. Some remind me of people who drive with their high beams on. I've considered making one, but hopefully not as annoying as some are here.

I consider myself a computer expert and it never ceases to amaze me that I don't know crap and will never know it all.

Thank YOU labyrinth101 You are a GOD Today.

I always strive to learn at least one thing new a day and today I found a new use for my ESC key. My favorite combo is still ALT F4.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I just had MY avatar cut, (the photo to the left...) anyone care to tell me why? I u2u'd the mod, and went to photo bucket to have it set to "avatar" size. It just seems weird, as I just commented on this thread...

A member of the forum staff, watch_the_rocks, has removed this avatar from your profile...

Please review this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Your avatar was removed because it conflicted with the guidelines outlined.
Please select a new avatar.
Thank you.

For additional information from watch_the_rocks, simply respond to this U2U.

Okay, I guess it was too wide, so I fixed it. But it is funny. I get that note, when the T and C's clearly state no moving avatars...(animated??)

[edit on 12-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join