It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can we do away with animated avatars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I can't see what the problem is. My Widdle Puppy is highly innofensive and not in the slightest distracting. In fact, I'd go to say he encapsultes my entire persona down to the nth degree. What that says about me, I'm not sure, but he makes me happy, nonetheless.

Apart from this humerous aside, I'm more interested in ATS member's posts content as opposed to their avatars.

And of an occasion, I'll look for specific avatars when assembling a response. Moving ones are very handy for this purpose.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I love animated avatars but not that ones that might cause seizures. Those we don't need. However, the animation makes reading more festive, less boring and by no means distracting. Already I grow tired of looking at mine and have been browsing ATS around for artist to design something based on my current avatar.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I am afraid I have to go with the OP here I do find them distracting to the eye and either read very quickly or scroll past the post.

There is one in particular that gets me for a couple of seconds that resides in their signature I believe it is actually black birds in flight but because it is so small my initial reaction is to bugs on my screen

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well I guess I'm an offender... Most if not all of my Avatars are animated..

I do try and make them subtle, I feel that makes for a better all around impression, but I will admit I have made some annoying ones...

I don't know that I would be upset if no animation was allowed, I guess I would just have to make some without it, (I have a few) but I do understand your point on the really intense flashing ones...

Semper

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Semper if you stoped making your awesome avatars I would hunt you down and have you arrested for crimes against humanity. Your avatars are pretty much artwork and each one is very well laid out and should be able to be displayed.

for you to stop making your avatars in such a way would rob the world of really cool graphics and that is a crime.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
well i certainly don't want to bother anyone . . . if it's decided that my avatar is distasteful, i won't be offended if i must take it down . . . But like Beamish said; my avatar says a lot about my personality, and the animation (a being shaking it's head) contributes to that.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
If the flashing is bothering you or you feel it may induce an epileptic episode press the 'esc' key to freeze the animations on the page. This works in IE and Firefox, not sure about other browsers. Hope this provides some relief until a solution is worked out.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Well thank you my friend....

I really appreciate the compliment...

reply to post by labyrinth101

As for the "escape key" freezing animation.. WOW!!!! I did not know that...

Outstanding advice for those that can not tolerate the animations...

Semper

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by labyrinth101
If the flashing is bothering you or you feel it may induce an epileptic episode press the 'esc' key to freeze the animations on the page. This works in IE and Firefox, ...

Thank You!!!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

If the flashing is bothering you or you feel it may induce an epileptic episode press the 'esc' key to freeze the animations on the page. This works in IE and Firefox, not sure about other browsers. Hope this provides some relief until a solution is worked out.

Woohoo..thanks labyrinth, what a golden nugget of a tip have a star.

Darn can't do that here.

edit to add someone give that person a round of applause

[edit on 11-5-2008 by sherpa]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

YES! I love you!!

Best internet browing tip I have ever received- it also works on annoying adverts FYI!

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

No problem.
I applauded him for that little nugget.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Doesnt seem to work in safari... come on apple!

Peace

dAlen

p.s. - didnt work in Flock either (firefox based)
The flashing add at the top of the page bounces around like usual.
(Yes I have listed it in the annoying banner thread and even sent complaint...but for months the same add basically pops up each time.)

[edit on 11-5-2008 by dAlen]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Clicking Stop ["X"] accomplishes the same in IE

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Thanks Mr boiling frog...yuk, sorry,.. Gools.

Sure glad your avatar ain't animated.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

You're avatar is soothing and living in ABQ, it's kind of nostalgic, as well, calling to mind living in moister climes.

I noticed the other day that a gif on this board had stopped for a reason I could not ascertain. It must have been that I accidentally hit the escape button, which I do sometimes.

Thanks for the info.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Most Excellent. Never thought of hitting the Esc key.

Were this regular fora, you'd get a big star!

(Allegedly, there are other ways but not sure they are T&C safe, but I have no knowledge of them, personally, that I can recall, or so someone once said, but I could have been dreaming
).

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I apologize if my avatar offended or bothered anyone while it was animated, switched it back to regular.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellipsis

You are very kind but you do not have to do that now, read the thread.

Labyrinthe gave us a top tip

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join