It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 275
<< 272  273  274    276  277  278 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Hey Mods. I just had a few posts removed by a Mod.

I didn;t think they were offencive in the least.
A few other members copped the same.
Granted they may have been slightly off topic but were just a bit of humour between members..

Is having a bit of "fun" now banned on ATS??
I'm pretty sure I saw no T&C violations, it was my thread..

PS: I have sent a u2u to the Mod but I already know the answer..

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

the first link above i escpecially like! it really shows the holier than thou attitude that seems to run rampant amongst certain mods and the like here on ATS. the last post, the one after it is closed, with a childish and blatantly unecessary "no!" shows how unproffesional and discourteous mods can be.

then the second thread pleads for a discussion, labels the intent, a dialogue begins, then BAM! thread closed. the OP is going through a bit of the same as i have in the past. only this time, (in case they decide to just remove it altogether) i have screen captured the blatant disrespect for future use.

and you wonder why people complain to much. too many chiefs, not enough indians. as the saying goes.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wx4caster

Mods not gods.

Really there just like you and me.

People should complain less and enjoy more.

[edit on 8/23/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I don't agree with your post, at all.

Why create an entire thread, twice about why some posts are removed, and no longer available for reading?

Anybody who has read the rules of the site, already knows the answer.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I can understand that there are issues which may best be kept behind closed doors and away from the maddening unwashed eyes of Joe Public.

And an appeal system where one could face their accuser would be great (and thoroughly transparent like we expect from our governments) but it may also be impractical due to the amount of hoaxers and followers who use these boards for drama (At all levels of the hierarchy).

I do think though that reopening a thread to write a single line which doesn't explain anything is against the T&Cs, rude to the extreme and needless.

But those in the know are aware of what goes on in any community - ATS is no different and should be respected (warts and all) as it isn't a human right to be a member here and they do their best to keep records which will produce investigations into individual instances if approached the correct way.

It can be frustrating, as I'm sure some behaviour points out, at all levels - but all in all it's a lot less strife than other places on the web with similar content.

Perhaps go for a walk and enjoy the wind in your hair for a bit if the site gets too much at any point.

-m0r

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
that is all good. but at what point did it become necessary to be so disrespectful? after the thread is closed, a second mod pops in just to be snide and say no? this is the type of behavior that leaves posters feeling jaded and causes more issues than it fixes

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Yes and I hope I get a reply to my recent post on this thread,
it's the only place we can talk about ATS without getting posts removed or threads closed..

I like ATS, you can talk about anything, except ATS

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Is there a special option for staff to hide their online status?

I see staff post while offline at least once a month.

Do staff have the privilege to not display "Member is on ATS now" or "Member was on ATS X minutes ago."?

See below image, SkepticOverlord should have displayed at least "Member was on ATS X minutes ago."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/76558adf62eb.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
Is there a special option for staff to hide their online status?

I'm using the new 2010 code which has status updates disabled for debugging purposes.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for your explanation.

By the way, see this recent thread

A nice "bug fix" suggested for the 2010 version :

distinguish between the real n-word and the country Nig eria and Nig er Delta names for example.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Will ATS 2011 be available before the world ends in 2012?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir
A nice "bug fix" suggested for the 2010 version :

distinguish between the real n-word and the country Nig eria and Nig er Delta names for example.

The issue is with capitalization...Nigeria works...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

the Guardian link used the niger ni ger word lowercase.

The system made the link broken automatically upon posting, readers couldn't read the news linked.

edit

see where the edit happens, a portion of the link -

environment/2010/aug/22/shell-niger-delta-un-investigation

with space

environment/2010/aug/22/shell-nig er-delta-un-investigation

[edit on 24-8-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

then you simply need to use TinyURL. Simple fix.

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Have you ever considered that both mods posted a reply at the same time ?

They are not all together in their cubical on the floor of a skyscraper, calling : He guys I've got another one. Lets mess with him.

They are not in high school anymore most of them were already longtime and respected member before they became moderator.Which is a necessity because they should know how this site operates. and as long as you keep complaining about stuff that you can read in the ATS T&C or in other threads on topic which are most definitely there to found. They will sometimes be a little rude.

What would you do after post 500 on the same topic ?

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Hey, I asked a question a few posts ago..

Thats the problem with a huge thread like this.

We are told to post here but then they dont get looked at..

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Hi There,

I'm assuming you're referring to THIS post of yours at the top of this page?

If so, a few things:
You've u2ued the Mod themselves who actioned those 'Off Topics', so I'm failing to see the point of then bringing it all out here in the open until your query to that Mod has been responded to.

Also, bare in mind that Mods are voluntary, not full-time.
We are also situated in different countries thus different timezones. So its not uncommon for us to not be online and receiving a specific u2u for a period of time...we could quite likely be asleep in our corner of the world, or out working in our real jobs, looking after the family or any amount of other activities that don't have us here online.

However...I've had a look at the two specific Off-Topics that were actioned, and I'd have to agree with the Mod - I'm failing to see how what you posted was in any way On-Topic.

Oh certainly it may have been light-hearted banter. Thats not the issue. The issue was that they were off-topic in the opinion of the Mod concerned...hence they were actioned.

You even state yourself: "Granted they may have been slightly off topic"
The action taken was exactly that - Off-Topic.

They were not other actions such as the Manners and Decorum or anything more suited to 'offensive' posts.

Cheers.

[edit on 24-8-2010 by alien]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Oh certainly it may have been light-hearted banter. Thats not the issue. The issue was that they were off-topic in the opinion of the Mod concerned...hence they were actioned.

Yes I sent a u2u and ,as I said, I already knew the answer.
ie
ff topic post...

My question is
(and I didn't ask one mod but posted here for a general concensus from more mods)
My posts were not offencive but just a bit of fun with the thread topic of polotics..BTW, it was my thread..
Are we not allowed to have a joke with eachother here anymore?
Because thats all it was.

If them posts were cut for off topic then I'll be hitting the alert button every 3rd post...

Please use a bit of common sense when moderating a thread.
We have to do the same when posting

FYI, 2 mods including Skeptic posted since my post...
I know Mods are not here 24/7..

[edit on 24-8-2010 by CynicalM]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

The issue is with their standards...not ours. They should know that you capitalize a nation when referencing...

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM

My question is
(and I didn't ask one mod but posted here for a general concensus from more mods)
My posts were not offencive but just a bit of fun with the thread topic of polotics..BTW, it was my thread..

If the intent was to get a general consensus from more Mods, then a better avenue to take, which granted you may be unaware of hence posting in this thread, is to utilise the Complain/Suggestion link in your Member Centre:

Click on 'Member Tools' up in the toolbar, in the drop down box is 'Submit Suggestion', should take you to THIS PAGE where you can submit your query to all Staff.
Its generally a better method of bringing something to the attention of all Staff, as our S.O.P for Staff is when we log-in we tend to firstly go check those specific Staff areas to see whats come in, what needs to be handled etc etc.

In reference to your removed replies:
they were not viewed - and thus not actioned - as being Offensive, rather as Off-Topic.
Again it may have just been a bit of fun...but it being your thread doesn't bind you any less to the Terms and Conditions of this site nor does it make you any less open to any Staff Action.

Are we not allowed to have a joke with eachother here anymore?
Because thats all it was.

I like a good joke as much as the next guy. However again they were Off-Topic, hence Off-Topiced.
If the issue is when and where we can 'have a bit of a laugh' then by all means feel free to exercise all manner of comedic talent on BTS

Please use a bit of common sense when moderating a thread.
We have to do the same when posting

We tend to. We're not always perfect...neither are our posters.

new topics

top topics

<< 272  273  274    276  277  278 >>

join