It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 271
<< 268  269  270    272  273  274 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

And what, theres no other threads like this??
www.abovetopsecret.com...

BTW, did you read my thread?
Can you show me to a similar thread please?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I cannot access my U2U/ red in color and my account settings would not open. Upon clicking U2U or Account settings it opens board home. If someone can look in this problem.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

U2U the staff member that closed your thread, they'll discuss it with you.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM

BTW, did you read my thread?
Can you show me to a similar thread please?

yes, yes i did.

i am no mod, just a concerned member who enjoys ATS, and enjoys open dialogue on various issues.

i am going to have to go with elevatedone's suggestion on this matter.

your entire thread opening was focussed on a suggestion on how you thought an idea would make ATS/BTS better.

My suggestion would be that threads are NOT automatiically posted to the board but instead are first censored by ATS staff, then if worthy they post to board. Maybe at this point a Mod could suggest a few changes to make it suitable.

Although i do not agree with this filtering idea for various reasons, i do think it is too much to ask of the ATS mods, and their obligations and responsibilities are already enough of a burden on them. Let the mods enjoy their ATS, too.

and since it was a suggestion offered that you think would make ATS/BTS a better place, i think the mod's decision to redirect towards an existing format for such suggestions was appropriate. (since that is one place where the staff look first for such suggestions)

and yes, i have had more than a dozen of my threads locked up and/or thrown into the trash bin over the years, and i can relate to how it feels.

but you are being hypocritical somewhat. you suggest the mods edit or proof read EVERY thread submitted for posting by EVERY member, and then you don't like it when they apply that logic to your one thread.

it's ok.

you will post threads in the future that are a success, i am sure.

have a great ATS day,
et

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
my ATS borders look so nice today!

especially around the top regions.

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I have an issue concerning, what seems to be, selective rules application.

This is the thread in question.

I know I could be shooting myself in the foot here, but here it goes:

MY post was 100% off topic . 3 other members had their posts removed, yet mine was not.

I understand my post may be along the lines of what the mods think, but that is no excuse to not FAIRLY enforce the rules.
No, going back and removing my post will not fix the issue.
I have heard numerous times of this issue and this is the first time I have experienced it first hand.

I did not alert for two reason: One, the post I spoke against did not, in my understanding, violate T&C. It was in very poor taste and bigoted, but not a violation (especially considering Mr. Overlord's recent stance on this issue). Second, my last round of trying to be a good member and using the alert button was met with a message telling me to stop.

What is the explanation behind this?

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
How is it this member

has not one applause

thus far???

Can a mod, any mod, give this individual at least one applause for any reason they can think of or make up?

Addicted to ATS anyone?

Now that is devotion!

[edit on 18-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 18 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

i don't see any T&C violation on your part in the context of that discussion.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Every time I reload a page on Above Top Secret, and pop up window with an ad keeps coming up? It keeps going to some bogus site offering green cards via sweepstake. This is happening every time....

I am using Safari browser, updated. I also have an active antivirus and firewall!

Oh yeah, and why does the guy above me get 45 applauses at once
I had to make a joke to get my first applause! Double
hehe.

[edit on 19-8-2010 by NeutronAvenger]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NeutronAvenger

I caught the adserver before it redirected me and it is by doubleclick, so I am almost certain they are coming from this site.

URL of the directed ad

It is coming from the following ad link. I happens every time I reload or access a page. I had to copy the url quickly so I might have missed the end of the link:

n4403ad.doubleclick.net...;h=v8/39fb/3/0/*/e;225552616;0-0;0;33119066;3454-728/90;37037418/37055296/1;;~okv=;sect=ros;sz=728x90,468x60;tile= 1;~aopt=2/1/71/0;~sscs=?clk.atdmt.com...;wi.728;hi.90;ai.1798483748.1788

[edit on 19-8-2010 by NeutronAvenger]

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

"Don't play those games with him.

It's an obvious bait post to get a rise out of people. We should be ignoring people like this in order to get ATS back to what it was.

If they stop getting attention they WILL go away."

That was my post. Admittedly, it has nothing to do with the topic, Muslims praying at the site of the Pentagon crash. Like I said, could be shooting myself in the foot, but fair is fair, and since a mod (a big one at that) stepped in to take care of the other issues why not me.

Rules are put in place for a reason. I'd understand if no mod showed up, but that was not the case.

Let me be clear, I was not trying to incite action or anything, just trying to remind a friend to not feed the trolls. I should have done it via a U2U instead. If this was a don't feed the trolls thread my post would fit, but it was not.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

What do you want to hear, when you're dealing with humans and subjective context 100% consistency is impossible? Okay, 100% consistency is impossible.

The goal is to further civil on-topic discourse. We'll never be perfect. There will be inconsistencies. That's the nature of the beast. It won't change.

The best move is to attempt to follow the T&C yourself. If you don't put yourself in a position to be actioned, then you have nothing to worry about.
Not all speeders are caught and ticketed. That isn't an implied license to violate the speed limit.

If you're looking for complete unerring consistency with people dealing with people, you won't find it here. If you find it anywhere, please let me know. We do the best we can and continually strive to improve.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

What I would like to hear is that, at least in a thread by thread case, the rules are applied evenly.

This would not have been an issue if no one stopped by. But that wasn't the case.

I don't ask for perfection, I ask for fairness.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
We strive to be as fair as we can be. If we aren't meeting your threshold, I apologize for that. To be 100% "fair" in 100% of the cases 100% of the time, in the opinion of 100% of the members isn't going to happen. Ever.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Alright. If that's the going to be the official answer, then I guess that's what I have to accept.

I'll say this though: It is setting an ugly precedent.

Thanks for responding.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Can ATS administrators or moderator clear something up for me please. It is regarding one of Terms & Conditions of ATS.

1g.) Political Baiting: You will not engage in politically-charged rhetoric, politically-inspired name-calling, and related right-versus-left political bickering while posting in any topical forum or discussion thread on AboveTopSecret.com. You will not alter political candidate names or party affiliations in order to insult or deride the opposition.

My query is related to last line of this term. Does this name altering which falls under political trolling only applies for US political figures or is it applicable equally for worldwide political figures? I have seen several name altering's of political figures who are not from US. Today for the first time I decided to use the alert function against such post. I wanted to get this clear if it's only applicable to US figures. I hope ATS is a international website and not only US centric website, if so please correct me.

posted on Aug, 19 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by I AM LEGION

The most direct answer I can give is that it applies regardless of nationality. To continue, it is once again a subjective thing.

The intent is to keep the discussions around election cycles focused on the issues and not the goofy name calling of candidates that becomes so prevalent around those times. There is no particular desire to attempt to sanitize every general discussion and micro manage to ensure our civility requirement in dealing with our fellow members extends to references to public figures not participating in our forums.

Members who choose to use those types of tactics in discussions are essentially waving a flag that substance is lacking in their arguments, and require those sorts of embellishments to artificially bolster their position.

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Thank you sir for the prompt reply. It's much clearer now and yes I agree with what you have to say.

Regards

posted on Aug, 20 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

thank you mods for either taking notice of a contribution or listening to my suggestion.

posted on Aug, 21 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
A question if I may.....

I have never "foe'd" someone & I don't expect I ever shall.

However, I have a question.....

If I "Foe" someone, can I see threads my "Foe" has started or will start?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

top topics

<< 268  269  270    272  273  274 >>

join