It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 269
<< 266  267  268    270  271  272 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Especially if it is turning an alternative site into a mainstream one.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
Why does ATS show ads of products I've been looking at online?

"ATS" does not do that.

When I logged on, on ATS, I saw ads of the very laptops I've been looking for.

This is because most likely one of the websites you used to review laptops had a "beacon" deal with a banner ad network (potentially Advertising.com or 24/7 Real Media) whereby the ad network was able to place a small piece of code on the retailer website. Then the ad trafficking department was able to refine the ad targeting so as to correlate against the information learned by the beacon... meaning people who reviewed product X would then see ads for product X on another website where that ad network is running banners.

The data that makes this possible is stored on the ad networks database, and referenced by an anonymous non-identifying cookie owned by the ad network. And since cookies are not able to be read by other domains, only the ad network knows this information for two reasons -- it's not in the cookie, and even if someone hacked the cookie, all they'd see is something like UXA-134y92-asd8732431-0000, or similar. "ATS" and the retailer site on which you viewed the product have no idea what data was collected

It can seem a little creepy to some people (I keep seeing ads for the video camera I lusted over at BHPhoto.com) on the surface, but the actual mechanics that makes it happen is rather simple and not so scary.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
Especially if it is turning an alternative site into a mainstream one.

"Advertising" is doing no such thing to ATS. We are not influenced by the ads or advertisers that run on the site.

I've seen at least two other popular "conspiracy" centric websites with far more ads than ATS. I think we do a pretty good job of balancing the number of ads with content and an effort to keep that content of quality.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Mmm, I personally think you are overdoing it with the ads, and it also seems you have a choice in letting the directed ads work here on ATS, I mean you could block these right?

I've seen ads cover the actual content on the front page, that seems a bit out of balance to me.

And yes, once you have ads all over the front page, it kinda hurts the image of being an independant, ignorance denying, alternative site.

I understand you gotta do what you gotta do to keep the site up and running, but it feels the site is losing integrity in the process, imo.

Thanks for your reply.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

No we can't "block them", nor would we if we could. We use the best ad networks available for a site our size, we pay additional money to yet another company to scan those ads for malware and remove any "dirty ads", not many sites our size go to those lengths to ensure the best possible situation.

The realities of life say you have to pay the bills. The only way ATS can be sustained is through advertising. The costs to run this site would never be met any other way.
We've done the analysis and know what the numbers are.

We will never charge people for access to ATS in part, because we know it would never generate the revenue needed anyway and, it's not fair to those who can't afford to pay.

As has been explained to you twice now, it's obvious the computer retailer site you were looking for a lap top on uses one of the same ad networks as we do, that's it. No mystery, no worries.

Springer...

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
What is all this talk of ads!?

I can honestly say I do not even notice.

What is so wrong with it anyway? This is a good website, and guess what.. web designers are not happy being payed in magic beans!

I come to this thread whenever I have an actual issue with the site, like with the tweet button. I don't like having to trawl through post after post of people complaining about ads and the actual owners of the site explaining why they are there.

What other website on the internet do you actual get to discuss issues with the owners!? Try that on facebook or google and see how far you get.

Use this to your advantage, not to vent your boredom.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

I can honestly say I do not even notice. What is so wrong with it anyway? This is a good website, and guess what.. web designers are not happy being payed in magic beans!

Well, good for you!

Me personally I find it annoying that I get stalked by ads of products I just looked at, when I log on.

I come to this thread whenever I have an actual issue with the site, like with the tweet button. I don't like having to trawl through post after post of people complaining about ads and the actual owners of the site explaining why they are there. What other website on the internet do you actual get to discuss issues with the owners!? Try that on facebook or google and see how far you get.

I'm sorry to ruin your experience, but I made a thread in in the Board and Business section asking for someone to explain the directed ads, mods moved it here, so take it up with them.

I also wasn't asking for the owners to talk with me.

It seems you don't even understand what the issue was about exactly, so please make sure you are aware of the complete situation before you start ranting(out of boredom?)

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

As has been explained to you twice now, it's obvious the computer retailer site you were looking for a lap top on uses one of the same ad networks as we do, that's it. No mystery, no worries. Springer...

I do understand, and I never thought it was mystery, or ATS spying on me, I'm just annoyed to see this directed advertising here on ATS.

It just seemed to me that this particular aspect would be something you have some sort of control over, since it is your site, regardless of how the advertisimg network works.

Don't get me wrong, I love ATS, I just hope it doesn't collapse under its own weight.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Almost all ads today are somehow related to who you are or what you do online, there's no sense in "dumb" adverts in today's internet. In fact, they are not even new.

That's why I see only one advert, apparently Portuguese companies are not that interested in making business with the companies ATS works with.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

The simplest solution is to clear your cookies. I suggest CCleaner if you're using Windows. Hope this helps.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

what do you want from ATS?

do you want your money back, or something?

maybe ATS should offer new members a money back guarantee?

i have a slight problem i am having some difficulty resolving.

but, if it isn't an easy fix, then don't worry about it.

my personal profile page ... i have no flags.

i have around 200 flags in reality, but my personal profile page doesn't reflect that. it has been a problem for me since the flag system started.

thanks,
et

[edit on 16-8-2010 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Never mind.

TheAssoc.

[edit on 16-8-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I have to say this or I am going to burst,

STOP!

Stop deleting threads just because you can, today i have tried to write on 3 threads all 3 were removed for breaching the T&C’s. Why can’t ATS just moderate against spam and people being abusive we are all (mostly) adults who use this site and we are nannyed like the way a communist dictatorship likes to nanny the people of the state.

Has the ATS staff ever thought about being less strict and simplifying the T&C’s.

Another question what counts as swearing on ATS, is there like a list of words i can and cant say because bad language differs from culture to culture. Just thought i would hit two stones with 3 birds.

PS I would make a thread of this myself where we can all discuss this however it would be deleted or shut down with me being advised to go to the ATS issues thread.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

There are times when a threat "takes off" with replies while our staff is considering if there is a T&C breech... or when the thread is either inappropriate to begin with.

I'm sorry it's frustrating, but it's the nature of the beast.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
SO,
If the word threat is a typo you better fix it before we see another 100 threads theorizing that ats is a 3 letter agency asset with your fruedian slip as proof.

~meathead

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for the help their big man, you might want to change threat thought because some people are going to orgasm over that as proof you view us all as a threat because your working with TPTB.

Also what counts as swearing on ATS, is it the words them self’s or the manner they are used, like i said this differs from culture to culture.

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown

Has the ATS staff ever thought about being less strict and simplifying the T&C’s.

yes, i think they did..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
some people are going to orgasm over that as proof you view us all as a threat because your working with TPTB.

With all that we do, and all that is easily discernible about us in public, I cannot consider changing our long-standing management style because a few people come to errant knee-jerk conclusions.

Of the threads in which I'm aware of current reasons for moving...
1) T&C violation for promoting hacking
2) Thread that should have been a complaint related to #1
3) Yet another thread insulting board ownership

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
can i get unbanned from the chat function?

i like to listen along with ATS LIVE radio and follow along with the conversation with other members.

i was temporarily banned from the chat for quoting something Springer said on air, and i just wasn't thinking.

the following week was my fault, as i made a foul attempt at humor with a comment aimed at semperfortis. i have since apologized via u2u with semper for these comments, and even told him what i had said.

it was an ill attempt at humor, and sometimes aspects of what is humorous to me, is not always humorous to others.

at any rate, i would enjoy following along in the chat while listening to ATS LIVE, and was hoping this ban from chat is not a permanent thing.

thanks,
john paul

posted on Aug, 17 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

U2U the Mod who banned you.

Springer...

[edit on 8-17-2010 by Springer]

top topics

<< 266  267  268    270  271  272 >>

join