It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 239
<< 236  237  238    240  241  242 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pryde87
Now that we have done as you said and raised the issue here, would you like to comment on it?

He's not on. You know that staff have lives, jobs, families?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Umm this is a discussion board, doesn't expressing your "opinion" on a thread silently defeat the purpose

I suppose that is why often times a thread will receive a bazillion S & F and few responses. Just suggesting ways to mitigate.

BTW, you're not ignored, S.O. is very busy these days and can't answer each and every request for a suggestion. I'm sure that he and the rest of staff see them though.

I'm still waiting for a reason/response why a dedicated Gulf Oil Disaster forum/board was never established despite my and others numerous pleas. I no longer come here for info on that as the topic is too diluted and confusing to follow with so many threads.

But thanks.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I haz a question!

Does anyone know what the max character count is for a thread title before it gets circumcised by the code?

Thanks.

ETA: And the self-tested answer is 100

[edit on 8 Jun 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

I'm still waiting for a reason/response why a dedicated Gulf Oil Disaster forum/board was never established despite my and others numerous pleas. I no longer come here for info on that as the topic is too diluted and confusing to follow with so many threads.

But thanks.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by kinda kurious]

It's being discussed as we speak. That doesn't mean it will happen but there is discussion on this.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hello,

I looked in the Help section but couldn't find anything on this.

My ATS points took a nose-dive after responding (coolly) to off-topic posts in an active thread.

What are the ways for me to regain ATS points?

I know flags are good and, to a lesser degree, stars too.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

[edit on 2010-6-8 by sandwiches]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sandwiches

I don't know if the amount of points for each action is still the same, but you can use this thread as reference.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
@Pryde: If another member is doing something that concerns you, the best thing to do is use the ALERT function.

But I don't really see the point of creating a thread demanding that a specific member be banned. That is ultimately up to the Staff, not the membership and I highly doubt that they're going to start banning people on request

ETA: Sorry, I guess it was actually expatwhite who created the thread.

[edit on 8-6-2010 by cupocoffee]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Pryde87

Explanation: I posted to that thread and I have been watching this unfold since then!

That Thread [ATS]

My Post to That Thread [ATS]

I would like to direct your [and everybody elses] attention to these T&C's.

General Liability Notice: The open and real-time nature of the discussion forums makes it impossible for The Owners to vouch for the validity or honesty of posts from individual members. We are not responsible for any messages posted, nor the consequences of reading them. The views expressed in the messages within the forums are those of the authors, who accept total responsibility for the content of their posts. If you find any posts in these forums to be offensive or objectionable, please contact administration or the moderators with the address of the post. If we determine that removal of a post or posts is necessary, we will make reasonable efforts to do so in a timely manner.

General Warranty: The Owners will make every effort to ensure the proper operation of the website servers, website software, and the Internet connection to these servers, but cannot guarantee availability. The Owners will make every effort to provide a free and open discussion environment within the boundaries of the Terms and Conditions that does not contain disruptive, abusive, or threatening messages, but cannot guarantee that all such messages will be found and removed within any specific timeframe.

Personal Disclosure: Seriously... Go reread what I posted to that thread and I PROMISE it will all make sense in light of what I have just posted above and what has happened since this all started OK!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I just bought access to RATS, but have no idea where the link is to see it. Can someone point me in the right direction?

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

On the main board, under Conspriracy Theory Discussion Forums, right side, second from the bottom. Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

It seems like Pryde got a warn for copying and pasting expatwhite's OP post word for word? Which is indeed against the T&C...

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I see duplicate threads getting deleted or closed by the mods, which is a great idea.

But I just read a post saying there was no rule against posting a duplicate thread, so I went to look for such a rule and I don't see it here
Simplified Terms and Conditions of Membership

or here
Terms And Conditions Of Use

or is it in there and I am missing it?

Is "no duplicate threads" an unwritten rule, or a written rule, and if the latter, where can I find it? Thanks!

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Explanation: The closest I could come up with was...

1h.) Spamming: You will not post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

You can have a duplicate thread if it is in a different forum.
Because sometimes a topic could fit into multiple topical forums. Sometimes a member posts a duplicate topic - but puts a different spin on it to fit that forum.

[edit on June 8th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Hi are there certain boundaries to keep in mind ?

Like is it ok if it is a bit older with some replies and then you post the OP in a different forum ?

Or only when you post the both threads on the same day ?

Kind regards ~ SK

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: The closest I could come up with was...

1h.) Spamming: You will not post identical content, or snippets of identical content, to multiple threads in the discussion forums. You will also not create more than one thread for your topic, or create multiple "slightly different" threads for a single topic.

Personal Disclosure: I hope that helps.

Thanks SK, I saw that, and yes it's about the closest thing I found. It says I can't post duplicate threads, but if I post a thread and someone else posts a duplicate thread, it doesn't seem to say the other person can't do it, it only says I can't do it. I'm not trying to be anal here, I just found it annoying to see someone saying they can post duplicate threads if they want because there's no rule against it, and they weren't talking about posting duplicate threads themselves. They were referring to duplicating a thread posted by someone else.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

You can have a duplicate thread if it is in a different forum.
Because sometimes a topic could fit into multiple topical forums. Sometimes a member posts a duplicate topic - but puts a different spin on it to fit that forum.

Yes that makes sense. Actually the instance I just looked at was in the same forum, but it had been some time since the last thread was posted. It was probably a few months earlier. Now if it had been 5 years earlier, I could see posting a new thread instead of bumping an old one, but 4 months ago doesn't seem too old to bump? So I'm a little unclear on this part.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by cupocoffee

But when told to move the discussion here, how am I supposed to do that without quoting the OP of the initial thread. Its pretty pathetic to dock points for that, a simple bit of advice on how I should have done it would have been better if he was that bothered about it.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Pryde87

Posting just a link to that thread would have been the best choice.

posted on Jun, 9 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

But deserving a warning?

Seems a bit severe to me especially considering the member thought he / she was only doing as instructed by a SuperMod.
Surely a U2U explaining what should have been done and a private warning as to future conduct etc would have been far more effective and appropriate.

I'm sorry but it seems as if Pryde87 has been treat like this just for asking what some may construe as being a slightly awkward question.
This just shows ATS in a bad light and somewhat draconian in it's administration, surely the antithesis of the very essence of ATS.

But hey, it's got very little to do with me, I just think Pryde87 has been slightly hard done to.

new topics

top topics

<< 236  237  238    240  241  242 >>

join