posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 03:33 PM
Unless something is vastly different there from here, this makes no sense. Firstly, the schools do not buy the bottled water; they lease space for
vending machines to vending operators who then stock and maintain the machines. Here it's usually the bottling companies. The school gets a
percentage of profits from the machines in return for the space, and local laws regulate what can and cannot be sold.
As for the quality of the waters involved, I am glad I have a private well. The tap water here is actually considered dangerous if exposed to the same
testing standards used for private wells. My father proved this years ago by switching a well sample. The sample from the local city water water came
back "unfit for human consumption". I saw the form myself.
I can actually taste the chlorine in municipal water. I'm not sure if the fluoride is part of that taste, but it could be. I just know it tastes
nasty. I try to carry a gallon jug of water from home in my truck, just so I don't have to drink that nasty stuff. Maybe I'm just hitting the bad
spots across the country, but after over 6 years operating in 43 of the lower 48 states, I have never tasted what I would consider 'good' water from
a city tap anywhere.
The last report I read said that approximately 2/3 of municipal water supplies were now fluoridated in the USA. Fluoride is used to reduce cavities in
teeth by bonding with the tooth enamel and making it stable in higher pH ranges than enamel without treatment. An interesting fact is that fluoride
was introduced in toothpaste and water about the same time tons of the stuff were produced as a byproduct of nuclear chemistry, and there is really no
other avenue to dispose of fluoride. It is considered a toxic chemical, and rightly so since fluorine is the most reactive of the halogens. It is the
only chemical (that I am aware of) that can oxidize (reduce) oxides.
I believe all of the water supplies are chlorinated. Chlorine does nothing healthful; it kills the bacteria that are inherently extant in recycled
waste (which is what most tap water is). Chlorine is a halogen as well, and is the major component of mustard gas. Just one step up in the periodic
table from fluorine, it is toxic and an irritant. As far as I know, no adequate scientific testing has ever been conducted on long-term effects of low
concentrations of chlorine or fluoride.
Bottled water is tap water. Some companies do use straight chlorinated, fluoridated water from municipal systems, but others use more natural sources
like springs. Even spring water is filtered and may be chlorinated at the bottling plant, although I don't think any is fluoridated. So it's not
exactly the greatest thing on the planet, and the plastic bottles can be a problem. I remember wondering about this back when bottled water was
introduced, but no one seemed to care then.
What concerns me, and what I went through all this boring science stuff to say, is that there is no reasonable excuse to remove bottled water from the
schools, other than to increase the amount of tap water that is being drank by students. That alone gives me cause for concern. What's in that tap
water? Or what may be in that tap water later? I'm not paranoid if everyone really is out to get me, right?