It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of people disappear every year

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SharkBait

I dont know about the numbers. But I do know that there are enough dissappearances to make one want to ask questions.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Every year millions of people just disappear without a trace. Ive always wondered why not too many people are asking more questions about this. Where do they go? Sometimes their cars or planes (steve fossett) disappear with them. As if they never existed.

Disappearing people in the U.S.

In the U.S. alone there are reports of over 10,000,000 people going missing per year. Out of this figure 500,000 are never found. Some of these people are victims of crimes but some are just gone. Sometimes it is not one person that disappears but a group of people. A man and his wife were sleeping. in a motel on a trip across the country in 1959. When she woke up, he was no longer by her side and had vanished, never to be seen again. Everything of his was still there, including his clothes, money, luggage, car, etc. Now let me ask you this, who would run off naked? This is a strange story indeed. Another couple was driving across country and was never seen again and this was in 1970. Their car vanished also. Were they the victims of some modern day highway men who killed them and scrapped their auto?

It has been estimated that a small part of these disappearances are due to crime and kidnapping. But what about the rest? A few theories:

* Someone does a "time-slip" and enters a parallel universe or another dimension.

* "Rapture"

* A less known theory is that it is possible to enter other dimensions while dreaming in your sleep. The idea is that if you practice "lucid dreaming" (dreaming while knowing that you are dreaming) there is the danger of entering another world or time-line...by which your existence and also your body disappear in this world.

* "Spontaneous Human Combustion" (a process investigated by some parapsychologists whereby bodies suddenly burn to ashes)

* Abduction by aliens

* Mass kidnapping by clandestine operations

* Other not yet thought of explanations.

Do you know someone who has gone missing?

Or do you know someone who knows someone who has gone missing?

How do you explain all the people disappearing?

Anyone have any good links, statistics or books on this subject?

[edit on 6-4-2008 by Skyfloating]

aliens. i wonder if its something to do with human sacrifice rituals in ancient societies like mexico etc. war of the worlds... in other words, i think some aliens visiting earth might be a tad carnivorous.

also i think lots of humans end up as illuminati fodder for their rituals; but see above - relates back to aliens too; since illuminati are just re-enacting the ancient rituals of humans sacrifice to the 'gods' that have occurred for millenia..

altho i dont think that ALL aliens visitng/on earth are carnivorous...at least i hope not. but what can we say, given what we do to cattle? life on this planet, from a cow's perspective, must suck.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapunzel222
altho i dont think that ALL aliens visitng/on earth are carnivorous...at least i hope not. but what can we say, given what we do to cattle? life on this planet, from a cow's perspective, must suck.

Its an interesting thought to consider aliens as carnivorous. Cant be ruled out, unfortunately. It seems some of them posed as "Gods" in the past, so it may not be beyond them.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Hi,
I joined ATS just to reply to this thread. This is a long time interest of mine. Yrs and yrs ago I wanted to write a book on this subject, but pre-internet the research was too difficult. My interest was originally sparked by the disappearance of a young man I knew, with three or four friends, in a small craft in Puget Sound on a clear day in 1969. They were never found. Common wisdom had them escaping to Canada to avoid the draft. The kid's father was a close friend of my father's and my father always said they must have just disappeared, because the kid would certainly have, over the course of ten or fifteen years, gotten in touch with his father. One of the things I was going to cover in my "book" was the fact that fairies were supposed to kidnap people and never return them. And there were beliefs about the fairies being able to enchant you, make you lose your way, etc.

Also, I work in a psych hospital. Although none of my patients has specifically said they're from another world (a little too disorganized for that) I think it is interesting that in the three yrs I've worked there, I've come across several patients, maybe as many as five or six, for whom we have no information. We know there name, possibly because they managed to tell us, but other than that, nothing. We put down their county as the county they were found in and that's that. One or two of them, for sure, are illegals and don't want to identify family members. The others to me are more mysterious. It is as if they dropped out of the sky.

Well, must be off to work at the aforementioned psych hospital but I've enjoyed this thread immensely.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by casaloma

I think that book should be written. I think its overdue to write that book. If you dont, someone else will.

There is no book that covers the subject from all angles (paranormal, crime, conspiracy, dimensional-jumps, fairies, etc.).

I would be interested in hearing more, because Im still clueless on this.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Casaloma, has anyone searched thru the missing persons record for those people?

Charles Fort reported many cases of people just vanishing, like one simply told -"He walked around his horse". People were watching and he didn't show up on the other side of the horse.

Or the lady who went into her bedroom and didn't come out. All the windows of the room were locked and there was no way she could leave without walking past the others in the house.

I have "Book of the Damned" and "Lo".

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Casaloma, has anyone searched thru the missing persons record for those people?

Charles Fort reported many cases of people just vanishing, like one simply told -"He walked around his horse". People were watching and he didn't show up on the other side of the horse.

I believe you're referring to the purported Lang case?
If so, you might like to read this.
(I should state I wrote it - lest somebody who doesn't know me well enough accuses me of surreptitiously forcing my stuff on people...)

The problem with all those missing people is that every single case is (rather obviously) different. And because so many of them eventually -after proper investigation - turn out to be based on incomplete accounts, often (not always) by people whose observation powers and/or psychological insight are less than perfect, they tend to discredit all those genuinely puzzling disappearances.

Be it as it may, I, too, am very interested in any account that has been well investigated and is TRULY inexplicable.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

But answering that question may reveal some very new insights on why certain people are convinced of things that "dont exist" for others (see 9/11 for example).

Maybe - just thinking out loud here - it's because in their world those things objectively exist, while in the world of those who do not believe those things the same things objectively do NOT exist.

I am sorry to be harping on this (not that most people here would have noticed how repetitive I am getting
), and I am not even convinced about it myself - how could I be? - but this thought has been spontaneously recurring and clinging to the back of my mind ever since I first wrote about it, on another thread ("Glitch in the matrix").

Radical subjective objectivity... now there's a paradox if there ever was one!

But then, aren't apparent paradoxes the stuff this cosmos (I don't even dare calling it "uni-verse" any more...) is made of? ;-)

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
In re to investigating the people at the mental hospital we don't really know the identity of, the whole thing seems much trickier than you would think (or that it should be, for that matter). Privacy laws prevent us from telling anyone the patients are there, except for family. And if we don't know where the family is or who they are, then it's impossible to find out where they might be because we can't ask anyone. It's a privacy round robin. We also had trouble tracking down the family that we knew existed, in one case. The family had moved, during the patient's long hospitalization, and we couldn't find them. Maybe they disappeared?

Yes, that was my original idea for a book, that I'd cover all the angles for disappearances: possible UFO abductions, fairies, probably criminal cases, etc. etc. Wish I could put my hand on all my old notes!

I do believe that people disappear that are never reported, paranormal or not. The mentally ill are a good example. If my brother is mentally ill, has been in and out of the hospital for years, bouncing around in group homes, occasionally in homeless shelters, I might report him missing the first few times he disappears but as it gets to be more of a routine, I'm going to quit doing it. It might even be a month or two before I realize I haven't seen him. And if he's really decompensated, he might not even be able to tell authorities his name when he does surface.

As I recall from my notes (wracking my brain now) my favorite bunch of disappearances was in the Angeles National Forest. Several kids, a couple of hikers. Heaven knows it could have been a serial killer, but as I recall the circumstances were strange. This would have been in the early to mid 70s.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Maybe - just thinking out loud here - it's because in their world those things objectively exist, while in the world of those who do not believe those things the same things objectively do NOT exist.

I am sorry to be harping on this (not that most people here would have noticed how repetitive I am getting
), and I am not even convinced about it myself - how could I be? - but this thought has been spontaneously recurring and clinging to the back of my mind ever since I first wrote about it, on another thread ("Glitch in the matrix").

Radical subjective objectivity... now there's a paradox if there ever was one!

But then, aren't apparent paradoxes the stuff this cosmos (I don't even dare calling it "uni-verse" any more...) is made of? ;-)

Ummm....yeah....

I mean...maybe so...

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

What I meant was: MAYBE (aren't there any bigger fonts? ;-) the ability in each one of us to create our individually fabricated "worlds" - or is it the inevitability of such an outcome? - goes as far as producing quasi-objective outcomes and thus affecting the apparent "common" reality.

In other words, MAYBE when we create our world, knowingly or not, we also dictate which things are (quasi)objectively possible in this our world - and which aren't.

MAYBE there is no single "common" reality - not objectively.
Maybe there are only large groups of people (communities) who more or less share an inherited frame of mind. (And even among those there could be vast - perhaps unspoken of - differences in the perception of their "common" reality.)
Sort of a "contagion" phenomenon, only applied to the macro-cosmos.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Vanitas:
Added some final thoughts towards - I hope - further clarification.]

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I've begun using 'macrocosmos', quantifying the unquanitfiable, with 'all that is (in relation to all that we are...I insist on limiting myself to this macrocosmos...and by 'this' I mean the macrocosmos of human creation)'.

MAYBE there is no single "common" reality.

I don't think that there is a single "common" reality, the more I look the more potential spheres I find. Some are contracting, others are expanding. As is seemingly the way of all things. I am considering how tangible those creations are though, how reliant on the strength/potency of the central nucleus they are for survival. Or how reliant they are on not having a relationship with the central core they are.

But (biologically speaking), all are from the same cell, originally, each one as you move farther and farther away from the nucleus, diminishes in traits similar to the first (as with mammalian development), but all progeny of one central core, and therefore related. So although, there is one common reality, that common reality is so diluted and removed in linear time, that we cannot necessarily perceive it. Or our perception is blocked by external forces, a 'force field' that encloses and excludes. I can think of a number of examples of the latter.

Or so I am currently thinking. I think. Some shoes take more walking in than others don't you find?

So with this in mind, is it possibly not a matter of people disappearing, but of whether we perceive the presence or absence of those people? Or at what point they enter our perception. Whether they cross into our individual or collectivised spheres only in absence. Maybe? If someone has many friends and loved ones, then they will be missed and looked for. Their life is 'important', quantifiably, there is absence that is noted, possibly in more than one sphere of awareness; family, church, school etc etc. Someone who has noone to care for them, will not be looked for. They may be self-reliant, not a joiner, retired, many such possibles spring to mind. Either way, you can't find what you do not see. Only when that one is joined by another 2 or 3 or twenty disappearances may the 'nobody' become of significance, by then, if they fell down a hole, got abducted by aliens or whatever, the trail would be cold if anyone should try to follow them. They would therefore only appear to have disappeared, when in fact they had only 'appeared' once they were absent, they had been invisible all their lives, and only now, when attached to a mystery, do they find form and can be perceived.

Perhaps not as clear as I would like it to be, but as clear as I can be at this given moment, I don't pretend to understand half the things I think about.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I really like your post.

It shows you have given some - and profound - thought to this.

Originally posted by coodeytar

So with this in mind, is it possibly not a matter of people disappearing, but of whether we perceive the presence or absence of those people? Or at what point they enter our perception. Whether they cross into our individual or collectivised spheres only in absence.

I am no more sure about this than you are, but it is definitely an idea worth further thought and exploration. The implications are staggering.
And it WOULD explain a lot.

I'll be thinking about this.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I'll be thinking about this.

I'd be interested in those thoughts when you have them. Nothing wrong with the blind leading the blind in my book.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by coodeytar

Indeed.

And I'll be glad to oblige.
Although I must say, nothing beats LIVE "brainstorming".

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

reply to post by coodeytar

Indeed.

And I'll be glad to oblige.
Although I must say, nothing beats LIVE "brainstorming".

Yeah...but it's finding it...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Any ATSer know of a good Missing-Persons Database or similar? Ive noticed data on this is hard to find.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
There is a large section of the population that goes 'missing' every year.

www.washprofile.org...

While looking for your answers,do not rule out the mundane.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Whats up Sky? Check this out yet?Above top Secret
Another good Sky thread SNF.

[edit on 31-10-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Hello SKY, This thread is exactly the reason I wrote my story called THE OFFERING for this months ATS short story contest. This is one version of the missing.......... Great thread sir !!! Magantice

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join