It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions of people disappear every year

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Kay,
Final thoughts on the numbers.

Originally posted by Skyfloating
We can now say there are 2000 unresolved cases in the UK a year. Multiply that by every country and you have about 500 000 unresolved cases a year (plus an extra figure of unreported cases)

In all likelihood you have way overestimated the scale of the problem...
... and here is why.

If we take a look at the numbers as a whole and apply some handy maths we can come to a few conclusions.

For the US,UK and Aus we have missing persons reports estimates of 2.8 per 1000, 3.2 per 1000 and 1.6 per 1000. Averaged we can say that this would lead to a figure of 2.53 persons per 1000.

Now let us also say that the number of non-reports as per the Australian study was too high and a half of it was a tad more accurate. (1 in 10 instead of 1 in 5)

Apply this to the number of 2.53 per 1000 and we have 2.81 people reported missing per 1000. (or 0.28% of the population)

Now assuming that the UK figures are accurate for the missing resolved per year as 99% of cases resolved (which actually equates with the seemingly more cheerful figure proposed by the Australians considering the time gap) we can say that the number of missing persons actually gone as opposed to simply reported is 1% of 0.28% of the population

This gives us a real figure of 0.000028% of the population actually gone.

Now... the total bit.

The world population in the year 2006 (the same time these numbers of disappearances were generated) was estimated at 6,555,000,000. (Six thousand, five hundred and fifty five million people)

REF: Population Reference Bureau

Apply our permanently missing, no trace at all left, just gone figure to this and we have an estimate of people removed from the face of the earth sitting in at the lovely figure of 183,540.

Still Lots, but its not that bad...

and *edit cos my original figures were out by a factor of 100,

Bad numbers had my original estimate at 18,000,000.

Way too high, I'd completly forgotten that i was using percentages...
D'oh

Absence.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Absence of Self]

[edit on 9-4-2008 by Absence of Self]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

This is Bermuda-Triangle stuff. I recall lucid dreams in which I was on the verge of "going somewhere" and felt "If I go now, I wont return".

You know, I had a dream exactly like that the other night. I have had weird dreams before and also dreams where I was aware it was a dream (amazing, you can do what you want).

But the other night I had a dream, where I actually “went somewhere”. I then realised that it was a dream, but wasn’t (if that makes sense). I was talking to all these weird people and it was in a weird place like we where getting ready to go somewhere, and then I decided not to go, they said it was ok and I woke up.

Probably just a crazy dream, but it’s the only dream I’ve had that’s left me with the weirdest feeling about it.

Mikey.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
They are trapped behind the sun for safekeeping. They will be used for 'light molecules'.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by menguard]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I've read only about five of the so far nine pages of replies, so I hope I'm not repeating anyone's reply here.

That said, I think these are most likely the reasons for so many people disappearing:

-- Child runaways
-- "Deadbeat Dads"
-- People running away because they did something illegal or just want to start a new life
-- People being murdered and their bodies hidden or disposed of
-- Children being kidnapped and possibly killed by pedophiles
-- Small children and babies being kidnapped and kept by emotionally disturbed, childless people as their own children
-- Children en masse being kidnapped by child prostitution rings (especially foster children, and there are stories that those rings go up to the highest levels of government and corporate wealth)
-- Women being kidnapped by sex trafficking rings
-- People in witness protection programs

Plus, the weirder stuff:
-- People being abducted by aliens and never brought back
-- People disappearing through Spontaneous Human Combustion
-- People kidnapped for "black ops" government programs
-- People "falling" into another dimension

I think the "falling into another dimension" thing is really not as farfetched as it sounds. I believe there are two types of "dimensional tears" or wormholes, whatever you want to call them: the fixed ones that stay in place -- like the Bermuda Triangle -- and smaller ones that move around or suddenly open up and close again.

There's even good evidence for that theory: I myself know two people who've had something vanish in front of their eyes, never to be found again.

One is a friend of mine, let's call him Sean, who once was out in the desert rockhounding. He had half a watermelon and a spoon with which he scooped out the melon flesh. At one point he dug in too deep and the spoon got catapulted out of his hand. Sean said he followed the trajectory of the spoon with his eyes, and it felt almost like it was happening in slow motion. He saw the spoon flip end over end, really slowly, and fall into a small shrub right in front of him. Now, this was a feeble little bush, and Sean searched it for the spoon -- for an hour -- to no avail. There were no holes beneath the bush, the bush itself had almost no leaves (one of those desert evergreen things), and there was no way the spoon could have just disappeared.

The other story came from my boss (who, I have to add, is a militant atheist and science disciple and scorns everything paranormal). He said once he had a fight with his ex-wife (in the bathroom) and in frustration, threw a bottle of shampoo against the wall. It landed between the bathtub and the toilet, and when he wanted to pick it up, it was gone. He searched the bathroom over and over, but it didn't show up again.

So, my theory is, maybe there are little holes in spacetime that suddenly open up somewhere and then close again. There's no reason why only THINGS should be able to disappear in such holes, right? Why not a person, or a pet? That sure would explain a lot.

As to where the person goes: if the hole closes immediately after opening up, that would mean that the person has no way of getting back from whatever dimension they "fell" into. And some of the dimensions may be so similar to our own that the person perhaps wouldn't immediately realize what happened.

One poster asked "Then why aren't people from other dimensions coming here?" Well, maybe they do, but maybe they're not quite like us, if you know what I mean.

What about apparitions like the Mothman, that show up for a few weeks or months, never to be seen again? What about the "black-eyed kids"? What about shadow people? Maybe those are beings that have figured out how to actually find and USE those wormholes and jump back and forth between their dimension and ours as they wish. Just a thought...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Actually, after writing all this, now I really want to know:

How many of you have had something disappear basically in front of their eyes and couldn't find it again, or know of someone who had?

I think if we can get something like a small statistic going here, we could make an educated guess how often this happens, and how many of those "holes" are out there.

Just the fact that I know TWO people to whom this happened (and maybe more whose stories I've just never heard) tells me that this must be a rather frequent thing...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mikey84

Probably just a crazy dream, but it’s the only dream I’ve had that’s left me with the weirdest feeling about it.

Well, since starting this thread I had one such dream. And I think I in fact had that dream because of starting this thread (because its been on my mind).

Seem thing might apply to you. You got thinking about it, and then your dream-self remembers the topic you had been thinking about and goes to explore it a little.

Interesting.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie
Actually, after writing all this, now I really want to know:

How many of you have had something disappear basically in front of their eyes and couldn't find it again, or know of someone who had?

If you check out some of the threads in the paranormal-forum here you will see quite a few reports relating to that. Ive had one or two obvious and direct in-your-face occurences like that and a few not so obvious vanishings or reappearances of objects.

But I think Ive had a LOT more than that, its only the mind that "forgets" about them or somehow tries to "explain" them in simpler terms.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Just saying if almost everybody has experienced or heard of such things, it might be very well possible that there are interdimensional wormholes/tears opening up and closing all around us, every day. Scary thought, huh?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

One term Ive heard for what you describe is "reality shifts". I think its pretty common...once you know it happens. Thats why you writing about this will actually CAUSE people to start noticing it.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Could you share those two cases, Sylvie?

My mother had such an experience when she was a child (which doesn't make her an "unreliable witness", BTW); and I may have had a s similar experience.
(I've written at length about them in my blog; I mention this simply to avoid yet another lengthy description. ; )

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Already did, Vanitas, in the longer post above. Gosh, how do I make this a two-liner now?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

So sorry!
This thread is growing so fast I can't even skim as efficiently as I used to...

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Hi Skyfloating.

Two very good points you bring up.

The first being what you have referred to as 'Reality Shifts' whereby people who become accustomed to the idea of a phenomena may actually begin to experience it and the second idea that people simply forget what they seen and attempt to explain it away in normal terms. (which I have done myself in PK cases)

(admittedly small cases, but they were still cases)

The first one is as you say rather common and would normally be referred to in Parapsychology land as 'contagion' or the Law of Contagion*, depending on your slant towards the phenomenon.

The one I'm referring to here is simply 'contagion' and is effectively the idea that para-psychological phenomena spreads to people exposed to it.

It is considered to be commonly seen and gets no better an example than our old buddy the poltergeist.
(strictly speaking RSMSPK. Recurrent, Spontaneous, Macro Scale, Psychokinetic Phenomena)

And... guess what happens when people exposed to poltergeist phenomena suffer 'contagion'.

Examples of this have been documented on multiple occasions by Maurice Grosse and John and Anne Spencer, good books on which can be easily found. ('This house is haunted' and 'The Poltergeist Phenomena**' serve as decent examples)

The second you mentioned is the seemingly strange forgetting exhibited by people who have seen unusual things whereby the experiencer simply does not have a valid mental frame of reference in which to place the phenomena and simply discards it, or attempts to explain it away, and thus either disregards the entire experience or convinces themselves that they understand it..

The very cool name for that one is the 'boggle factor' and has also been documented rather well by the two parties mentioned above.

Boggle factor is also used rather commonly to describe the reaction to something that a person simply cannot understand. (Zen Koans serve as a good example of this type)

Admittedly, boggle factor is simply a theory to describe why people forget what they do, but contagion is a documented fact.

(albeit, a disputed one, since some people will tell you that poltergeists don't exist.. but that's OK since we can assume they wouldn't have a valid frame of reference to understand exposure to one and as a consequence would simply suffer from the boggle factor)

Cheers.

Absence.

*Unfortunately 'The Law of Contagion' is commonly used as a derogatory term and normally deployed by sceptical 'scientists' to describe the frightening degree to which illogical, damaged, magical thinking can spread between members of the human race not as brilliant as the scientists describing it. (If you ever encounter a paper like this you may fully expect the term 'organic brain disorder' to appear somewhere within the next 10 lines...)

**If you ever get this book... don't read it in the dark.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
500,000 people is a lot to go unaccounted for in a year, but you also have to look at the percentage of homeless people in the U.S. as well as well as drug addicts like meth, heroin, or crack addicts, etc. The census isn't as accurate as people think it is some people do just flat out go missing they gett addicted to some drug or lose all their money or family and just end up living homeless or killing themselvesx who knows. Also i heard a statistic once that either 4 out of ten or 6 out of ten (i can't remember which) murders go unsolved on average. so maybe some of that factors in, but i dont know that is an overwhelming statistic.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I believe the following photo could be part of the problem.

Blood drained from body,
Organs sucked out,
Extremely hightech precision tools used,
Same type mutilation that is happening to cows,
Could never be duplicated by anything earthly we know,
Always covered up by government officials,
Extraterrestrial related,

Warning Graphic Photo:
PHOTO

The rest of many who are mysteriously missing may very well be some of those who are reported by abductees to have either been used in experiments or chopped in pieces. We could very well be fish food for some of these extraterrestrial beings.

We have an eco system, they have an eco system!

Just A Thought!

On that note here is a quote from William Cooper:

"An alien craft was found on February 13, 1948, on a mesa near Aztec,
New Mexico. Another craft was located on March 25, 1948, in White Sands
Proving Ground. It was 100 feet in diameter. A total of 17 alien bodies
were recovered from those two crafts. Of even greater significance was
the discovery of a large number of human body parts stored within both
of these vehicles. The Secret lid immediately became a Top Secret lid and was screwed down tight. THE SECURITY BLANKET WAS EVEN TIGHTER THAN THAT IMPOSED UPON THE MANHATTAN PROJECT"

Colleen Johnston

Mod Edit: Advertising content removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 4) Advertising. Thank you – Jak

[edit on 19/5/08 by JAK]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Absence of Self

Thats a pretty good reference there. I didnt realize there are actual studies and terms (boggle factor!) for what I was struggling to express.

Contagious it is. The longer I deal with it, the more I notice it. In weeks that I quit my preoccupation with it, it recedes to a point where I can convince myself that no such phenomena even exist. Perception can be filtered to the extreme.

The boggle factor (newly learned word) is much more of a strange phenomenon. And I mean strange.

The possibility of complete amnesia first dawned on me when I picked up a diary I had written as a child. I hadnt looked at the diary in over a decade and was shocked to have completely and totally forgotten entire paranormal reoccuring episodes.

I therefore acknowledge that we all may be experiencing much more but as the mind cant "fit it in" its simply dismissed as non-existent or "never happened".

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylvie

Ok, so the object in question, did not disapper before my eyes, but.... I was searching for a box, that I knew was on the bottom shelf, in a closet. Could not find it.
I emptied the bottom shelf, box was not there.
Put everything back in. Returned in the afternoon, opened the clost door, and viola, there was the box, bottom shelf.
My question is, lets say, that a Einstein, Podolsky, Rosen bridge, a wormhole, tear in space, rip whatever you want to call it, could form and the object, or person falls in.
Why then do entire objects allways disapper, why are there not halves of objects ever found? Could this denote a controlled or targeted opening of the anamoly in question? Does that make sense?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NetStorm

Something similar happened to me last week. I was scheduled to do a presentation somewhere and I had forgotten the cable that links my notebook to the video-projector. Feeling uneasy I said to the organizer: "Do you have a spare cable by any chance?" And he said: "No, but maybe yours will pop up". I kept feeling uneasy about it. "Is there a shop around where I can buy the cable?" but he kept insisting, with magical self-confidence "who knows, maybe it´ll pop up". And then I noticed that it lie right on the table, right in front of my eyes "the whole time". "Oh there it is!". The possibility of him playing a trick on me and placing it there is ruled out because during the whole time I was actually at that table.

Weirdness abounds.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

I swear I can't help but to add that I'd be willing to bet million that the shampoo bottle was caught between the toilet tank and the wall. Okay, I'm done.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Why don't people ask more questions about people disappearing? Then we have to ask, why do people in general just ask more questions about anything and everything in our lives as we know it.

The answer is simple. As soon as you are capable of understanding you are taught the systems way of thinking and it is reinforece most all of your life time and life time after that and so on. We are taught everything that we need to believe in and to question it is to require more teaching and often reprogramming.

If however we were to unlearn what we have learned, quoting Yoda, then we might begin to learn the trugh of a lot of things. So yes, people disappear for many different reasons, some of which would turn our stomachs and enrage us if we knew that such things existed. For the most part we are taught not to get involved and to look away or disassociated from things.

You might say, but many do not turn away, but instead their causes usually get out of control and it all breaks down and that is by design to by those who infiltrate to disrupt movements and those who desire to make a change for the better.

It was once mentioned that our world has lost the ability of free will of choice. Many will say NO WAY! But when have you sat back and really but mind to the thought of free will and determine if your choices are indeed your own or just more fabrication of someone's elses teachings?

Enough said...

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join