It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Right's Emerging Deadly Worldview: Kill Muslims to Purify the Earth

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:
JSR

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

you are quite right sir. time to walk away.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

You did. You said, you wouldn't accept my interpretation,which is my viewpoint. So I'm not going to give it you because it's mine and you don't want it.

For pity's sake.
How old are you?
I thougt I'd left comments like that behind in junior school playground.

Not intending to insult but I know you are better than that.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by Freeborn]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

For pity's sake.
How old are you?
I thougt I'd left comments like that behind in junior school playground.

Well I am a bit brain damaged. I'm a christian and you know, christians have committed atrocities down thru history. And we all know that christians are behind the war in Iraq (the only thing Bush ever said that some actually believe, was that he was a christian. Ain't it convenient? The tunnel vision is astounding to behold). That's why the article is so suspicious. Just how many of those christian right people are up there influencing government? *scratches head* Well, nobody I know is there and I know alot.
Most of my family were democrats and ohmygod, they were also christians. Never killed a person in their lives.

Have fun with your stereotypes. See ya on the flip side.

[edit on 12-2-2008 by undo]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'm a christian. I'm not obsessed with destroying islam.

Of course not.
Most Christians are not radical extremists just like most Muslims are not.

But just like Islamists, radical Dominionist Christians are perfectly willing to try to manipulate moderates for their own purposes - in the West they constantly shout: "Christianity is under attack by Islam! - and in the Islamic world: "Islam is under attack by Christianity!" - all in order to trick innocent Muslims or Christians into supporting their quest for power and mass murder....

[edit on 2/12/08 by xmotex]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Of course not.
Most Christians are not radical extremists just like most Muslims are not.

But just like Islamists, radical Dominionist Christians are perfectly willing to try to manipulate moderates for their own purposes - in the West they constantly shout: "Christianity is under attack by Islam! - and in the Islamic world: "Islam is under attack by Christianity!" - all in order to trick innocent Muslims or Christians into supporting their quest for power and mass murder....

Yes, yes, to Obi Wan you listen!
You are bang on. That's what it's always been.
The manipulation is insanity at its finest

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

This is pretty typical and inline with the whingefest about POV.

Fact is, there ARE extremist groups whose goal is violence by whatever means.

I posted this because it was interesting, NOT because I have any kind of anti-christian agenda.

But as usual, some try to make it into a poltical agenda discussion in the hope of detracting people from the original article.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'm not anti-christian or anti-islam, re-read my posts.

Throughout this thread you seem to cherry pick points and interpret them to suit your preconceived opinions.
You then speak about stereotyping.

You have consistently failed to reply to questions and issues raised and have failed to acknowledge all but your opinion.

I suspect that Beachcoma is indeed right.
Time indeed to walk away.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

The phenomenon is called the hostile media effect. And in fairness to undo (and everyone else) I, too, am a victim of it, sometimes.

Now that we are informed of it, perhaps we can move on and dissect this piece in a more interesting fashion.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by undo

This is pretty typical and inline with the whingefest about POV.

Fact is, there ARE extremist groups whose goal is violence by whatever means.

I posted this because it was interesting, NOT because I have any kind of anti-christian agenda.

But as usual, some try to make it into a poltical agenda discussion in the hope of detracting people from the original article.

It is not an emerging world view! It's a lie. The whole thing is a spin. I'm telling you, I know, from personal experience, first hand accounts, there are hundreds of thousands of christians that even have trouble
eating an animal, much less killing a human being regardless of their position.

The word that's causing the problem is pointing the finger at christianity, which in turn, points the finger at all christians. It's a sterotype. When this comes out against any religious faction, what do you think it's trying to do? Villify the whole bunch because they are banking on the tendency to stereotype!

I know you added the word "Right," but there are even christians who are right of center who are still moderate democrats.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by undo

I'm not anti-christian or anti-islam, re-read my posts.

Throughout this thread you seem to cherry pick points and interpret them to suit your preconceived opinions.
You then speak about stereotyping.

You have consistently failed to reply to questions and issues raised and have failed to acknowledge all but your opinion.

I suspect that Beachcoma is indeed right.
Time indeed to walk away.

I apologize but when you say the word "christian" wthout the word extremist, you automatically make all christians the target of the words following it. Perhaps just take a bit more time to be more precise. I dunno, but if you look around, the planet is not getting any more peaceful by proxy of blame game.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I'd be more than glad to.

IMO this has to do with the fact that, in the west, we don't have a bogeyman anymore.

We had hitler, then the cold war, then iraq1, then 911, then iraq2 - and now there is no-one left to terrify the public.

So we see the start of campaigns by those with extremist views to provide us with an enemy.

Goebels did it very effectively - I hope we don't go down the same road.
It never takes much for people to start following a mob.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   

When this comes out against any religious faction, what do you think it's trying to do? Villify the whole bunch because they are banking on the tendency to stereotype!

Agreed.

Using extremists to demonize and dehumanize all Christians by "guilt by association" is the very same process we see when radical Islamists are used to demonize and dehumanize all Muslims.

And the non-religious are vulnerable to the very same kinds of manipulation as the religious in this regard.

Beachcomba - cool link, very informative.
One can observe the process in action, but it's good to know somebody has studied and identified it.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

OK, 2 things - I did NOT add anything

second - this happened, it's documented.

Climb down from your high horse and try to think about this in a sane rational manner.

No-one here is anti-christian - BUT there are opposing views, which we would do well to discuss calmly and objectively and without histrionics.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Agreed.

Using extremists to demonize and dehumanize all Christians by "guilt by association" is the very same process we see when radical Islamists are used to demonize all Muslims.

And the non-religious are vulnerable to the very same kinds of manipulation as the religious in this regard.

Yep.

That's how the wars start. That's how they stay fed.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Climb down from your high horse and try to think about this in a sane rational manner.

Okay, climbing down off my high horse.
Thinkng calmly and objectively.

Hrm, still agree with Xmotex.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

So do I, to an extent - this is why I posted in the first instance about these people being extremists if they hold the view that extermination is the only answer.

I repeat - I did not add anything to the title about the christian "right" and to say otherwise is extremely insulting and a downright LIE.

The demonisation of islam or christianity is not the issue here, although it clearly has its place.

The issue at hand is the article and what the people in the article reportedly said about genocide.

[edit on 12/2/2008 by budski]

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Fair points, but would you not consider the inquisition to be one of the most violent periods in the history of religion?

And the crusades?

These were done in the name of god, despite any questions about the motivation they may or may not have had.

Well yes in religion they are two of the worst Christian events, but both were small potatoes to all bad events in our history. Also one can argue the case with the Christian crusades that was composed of seven different ones over a 200 year period. Around 2 million died during this time in these failures to take the holy lands. The 5th crusade was the bloodiest and so I would single this one out to all the others. It is also hard to differentiate between a religious movement or the expansion of a king’s realm.

The Inquisitions that came and went over 500 years have basically low numbers even though it can be agreed on as an atrocity, and this is also one of the purer religious only events. It is interesting that what is happening in the Middle East is another purer religious event that mimics the inquisitions.

Basic religion is based on the “good” and not evil acts even though men can do evil acts in the name of religion. This is very important to understand because religion has the ability to continually influence these evil acts with goodness and so has a tendency to reduce what is actually capable when they happen. When you look at atrocities that are not based on any religious motivators there tends to be no limit to them since there are no moral bounds in these cases.

During the 20th century the 30 worst atrocities up to 1995 have very little religion in them if any. 30 Worst

But since then it is hard to not see the Muslim religion as in the forefront of almost all atrocities from 1995 to today, and that is a very interesting change in what direction most religions has been evolving in the last few hundred years.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The demonisation of islam or christianity is not the issue here, although it clearly has its place.

Well, genocide is impossible to accomplish without first dehumanizing the intended victims, and the article explores an attempt to do that, so I think it is very relevant to the topic.

Incidentally I am not arguing with you here on any general principle, I'm not even sure what the two of you are disagreeing about honestly, it seems like chiefly semantics.

On the broader issues it seems like the two of you are basically agreeing with eachother

Sit back, and relax: I don't think there is any attempt at deception here, just a mutual misunderstanding.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Honestly, I didn't say you added anything.
What I said was that there are many people who considered themselves Christian Right (meaning right of center) who still are moderate democrats and hold some or quite a few, democratic ideals.
But if you hear the spin doctoring, it makes it sound as if all christians are over here on the right with the republican conservatives (conservative means money not values) and all non christians are on the left with the democratic liberals. there was even a democratic bumper sticker with the jesus fish and the word hypocrite embedded in it. imagine all the christian democrats who saw this and thought, "WTFreak?"

the stereotyping it out the roof! supposedly all christians are conservative republicans who believe in and support the war machine and greed, and would like to do the hitler thing.
and now the case is trying to be made that they control the government or are trying to control it, are the cause of the war in iraq and so on and so on. even if those are not the precise words, it doesn't matter because the public has tunnel hearing almost as bad as tunnel vision.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Interesting points, and a great link - thanks.

Could it not be argued that the following had in their core a religious censoreship and predominance of intolerance towards religion:
Hitler,
communist china,
soviet union,
nationalist china,
india, pakisatn and bangladesh.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join