It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Right's Emerging Deadly Worldview: Kill Muslims to Purify the Earth

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

LMAO
another example of people interpreting gods word to suit their own agenda.

I'll answer in the same way I always do:

Do you feel the need to qualify what god (or jesus) has said?

Is god not good enough at his job, that he needs man to interpret for him?

Isn't it just a little arrogant of man to assume that they know what god means better than HE does?

By all means, continue to "clarify" the bible for us - just as muslim extremists do, and as christian extremists do.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
well jesus calls the word of God a "Sword", so seems only natural to assume he didn't mean an actual sword. he chastised peter for cutting off the ear of the centurion. he called for people to turn the other cheek in a violent confrontation, and so on. unless he had a split personality, i'm going to have to go with his other words. sorry.

JSR

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griff
Sounds like violence to me.

it appears to me, after reading the whole chapter of matthew, he is being metaphoricle. as evidence by these verses.

14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. 15 I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. 16 I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

oh...and here is the source: ( www.biblegateway.com... )

it doesnt seem to me he was advocating using a sword if people did not accept him.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JSR

And yet christian "fundamentalists" often advocate the use of violence - abortion is one example that springs to mind, as well as homosexuality.

I have to disagree here - when fundamentalism is opposed, violence often ensues as a result.

I still call them two sides of the same coin, even though I see your point.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
To all you guys:

An old friend of mine use to say that "discussing religion with an atheist is like discussing modern art with your accountant."

I have found that to be true!

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

And yet christians also follow the old testament - which is about as violent a book as there is.

saying you KNOW what jesus means, also strikes me as more than a tad arrogant - I think jesus was pretty clear, and needs no-one to interpret the re-written, hand-picked, roman translation of what he meant.

He also used violence to achieve his own ends.

money changers in the temple ring any bells?

JSR

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

fine by me. i do happen to disagree though.

and extremist kills for the glory of god. a fundamintalist follows with the strickest of possibility the words of christ. which doesn't advocat violence, that i know of.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maya432
I also believe that christianity is the most dangerous
thing in our world.
the christian movement have killed more people
than any other religion through out history.

So you feel that right now today Christianity is the most dangerous even compared to the Muslims and Zionists? Which religions persecute women and deny them basic freedoms? Which ones create dangerous living conditions for everyone in the countries they are the majority of? Which ones see suicide as a tool to kill indiscriminately? etc...

Now which of all the religions today give 10 of billions in aid to the world?

Also the greatest atrocities in our history have been non-religious events that have dwarfed any religious based atrocities. Also when one looks at religious based atrocities the religion part was more of a motivation tool for non-religious goals.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

money changers in the temple ring any bells?

Jesus turned over their tables and chased them from the temple. Not exactly a beheading, eh?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Fair points, but would you not consider the inquisition to be one of the most violent periods in the history of religion?

And the crusades?

These were done in the name of god, despite any questions about the motivation they may or may not have had.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Skies

And where in the koran does it say about beheading?

That seems to be the comparison you are trying to make, and it's just not true.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by undo

And yet christians also follow the old testament - which is about as violent a book as there is.

Do or did rabbis interpret torah or talmud, for daily application? You betcha they did. they not only interpreted it, they argued it night and day, every little bit of it, down to the most minute idea.

But Jesus told them that Moses knew the hardness of their hearts and made up rules that would allow the society to function as best as possible under the climate of the time. Alot of those ancient texts were set in a different time frame, when it was part and parcel of the cultures of surrounding nations to engage in things like necrophilia, pederasty (look it up), human sacrifices, cannabalism, and so on.

I have my own interpretation of it, but it's just guesswork, so the "violence" of the OT is not answerable to your satisfaction since I'm not allowed to give you my viewpoint.

So much for religious freedom.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Whoever said you couldn't give your viewpoint?

No-one here.

Or is it that you view an opposing view as oppressive?

Please clarify - I have seen not one single post where a member said you couldn't express your view.

Playing for sympathy is not an attractive tactic.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   

reply to post by Dark Skies

And where in the koran does it say about beheading?

That seems to be the comparison you are trying to make, and it's just not true.

Here's an interesting discussion of this matter of "Beheading in the Name of Islam" in the Middle East Quarterly...

www.meforum.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

reply to post by undo

Whoever said you couldn't give your viewpoint?

You did. You said, you wouldn't accept my interpretation,which is my viewpoint. So I'm not going to give it you because it's mine and you don't want it.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I feel like this discussion is heading off to the deep end that most discussions of this type usually end up.

Has anyone read the comments on the original article? Much more interesting than the comments in this thread. And a whole lot more informative, at that.

You can do better, ATS. Where is the conspiracy?

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

I have read it, but some on ATS seem to feel the need to defend their religion at all costs, regardless of the intent of the message not to say the content.

I found the article to be quite interesting and a little bit of a condemnation of the moral high ground certain people seem to like to inhabit, to the detriment of others and their beliefs.

That said, some people have made very valid points.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yes, there are serious problems at the top.
Yes, I think it's a conspiracy against all organized or even loosely organized religions, but especially the Abrahamic faiths. Some are so rampantly anti-god/anti-gods that they toss out all the babies with the bath water. Their idea of a utopia is a world where everyone has the same exact ideals as they do and all opposition is dead. They foolishly believe this will end suffering, poverty, greed, murder, rape and so on. That's because they've been lead to believe it's those guys over there that are at fault.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Actually one thing I found interesting was that the fraudulent "ex-terrorists" doing the propagandizing in the article had recently spoken at the Air Force Academy - there have been numerous reports that the Christian radical right basically has a lock on the Air Force Academy, and that in the USAF you either go along with their agenda, keep your mouth shut, or kiss your career goodbye.

Good to know our nuclear deterrent is in the hands of fanatics, eh?

There is no doubt that there is a growing obsession with Islam on the Christian Right, and a belief that Islam is inherently evil. Moreover, despite denials, the call for genocide is implicit and obvious.

The scary thing is, unlike the Islamic far right, the Christian far right actually has the tools at their disposal to commit mass murder on a truly "biblical" scale.

posted on Feb, 12 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I'm a christian. I'm not obsessed with destroying islam. I know lots of other christians who feel the same way. This article sounds like it's been planted for the sole purpose of trying to get christians and muslims to bump each other off, and then say, "See, I told ya they were the problem."

I wasn't born yesterday. Some things are very transparent. They are telling you exactly what you want to hear. Sorta like that big map of the US with the words JESUSLAND printed across it and the follow up about how people in red states were statistically dumber than people in blue states.

That was such priceless Hitlerian tactics, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join