It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists warn ET may be dangerous

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:51 PM
link   
If the supposed aliens were hostile, don't you think they would have not destroyed us a long time ago with their superior weaponry - and if they even possess any weaponry and if they even understand the concept of war?

If you consider we are a species that kills it's own just for sake of it, we torture, rape and murder. Our religions aim for peace and understanding, but they are full of blood and gore and one of the main religions in the planet is based on prediction of mass destruction of the human kind (apocalypse).

If nothing "THEY" should be afraid of us, and NOT us afraid of "them".

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
When and if an alien civilization receives images beamed into space, they will have to carefully analyze the images they intercept. Can image their reaction when they see these two images taken only 500 miles apart.

What will that say about our race?

Man has dominated man to his injury and would do so to any alien race they come into contact with. IMHO.

We spend millions on ipods, video games...ect. while thousands die of hunger
every day.

If we, as a society, can't even put our own desire for self indulgence aside to care for our fellow man, what makes you think we would do so to an alien race.
Wake up and smell the coffee.

And if there is an alien race that we come into contact with one day, they will no doubt have the same tendency for self preservation & self indulgence.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Sparky63]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LouisXI

I agree, the original quote is all about perspective, are we the spanish or the native North Americans, cause I got news for you, the natives didn't really like what the Europeans did when they showed up. Would you like it if you were a native and the spanish showed up in your town, say technolitian(spelling), Mexico City. I for one would rather be the spanish then the native, I would suggest space defense first, colonize the other planets, then lets talk to other people. I got news for you, if they get between star systems, then there technology is so far superior, its like the Native americans of 1400 meeting a regiment of U.S. navy seals.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by stove167
www.youtube.com... watch this excellent video by carl sagan. Think about it, we are KILLING eachother. Also many of these advances in technology and science are adding to the destruction of the earth.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by stove167]

We are killing each other less and less as time goes on. This is not rhetoric, this is a measured statistic.

And just as technology becomes more dangerous, it also becomes more beneficial. As technology improves, the "destruction of the Earth" may very well be reversed -- and this is going to be possible within 30 years as nanotech, solar energy and molecular manufacturing come into their own.

Our outcome is surely not decided -- it could go either way. But to deny that our lives have improved, are improving and will continue to improve is unfounded and just plain wrong.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
When and if an alien civilization receives images beamed into space, they will have to carefully analyze the images they intercept. Can image their reaction when they see these two images taken only 500 miles apart.

What will that say about our race?

Man has dominated man to his injury and would do so to any alien race they come into contact with. IMHO.

We spend millions on ipods, video games...ect. while thousands die of hunger
every day.

If we, as a society, can't even put our own desire for self indulgence aside to care for our fellow man, what makes you think we would do so to an alien race.
Wake up and smell the coffee.

And if there is an alien race that we come into contact with one day, they will no doubt have the same tendency for self preservation & self indulgence.

that first picture is extremely powerfull and will stay with me for a long time.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by merka

Personally I fail to see the issue. We've been sending out signals for 50 years and suddenly being more "careful" aint gonna do squat. There's always a risk involved in everything. As it stands, you're 100,000,000,000 times more likely to get hit by a car after reading this post and talking walk than you are being killed by an alien.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by merka]

Did you know that 98% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

-Quazga

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by stove167
www.youtube.com... watch this excellent video by carl sagan. Think about it, we are KILLING eachother. Also many of these advances in technology and science are adding to the destruction of the earth.

Carl Sagan? Ha! He had a plan to Nuke the Moon to see "if we can stir up anything organic" Him and the Air Force put it together... The AF wanted a BIG BANG to be visible from Earth...

Nice way to search for life "anything organic"

Carl Sagan...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Well, I think it's a far stretch to assume that aliens would have an emotional body for one, and for two that they would percieve these occurances in the same way we would.

Perhaps they have a much lower threshold of differentiation between the individual and the collective?

Perhaps abundant energy has always been with them?

Perhaps, they have a completely different understanding of Life and Death.

Some human tribes would see these two pictures and think only that they want to be the ones in luxury, while others would grieve in the horror it depicts to them.

Don't just assume all aliens are bleeding hearts.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Quazga]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Just so you know. The photographer, Kevin Carter, who took this picture, chased the vulture away & the little girl after resting got up and was able to walk/crawl to a feeding station. What became of her after this is unknown.

The photographer won a pulitzer prize for it but sadly eventually committed suicide. Part of his suicide note read, "

... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings & corpses & anger & pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners..."

This image is a grave reminder that, so called, "Civilized Man" is just a stones throw away from savagery.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Perhaps they ....

Perhaps .....

Perhaps,......

One can speculate about the unknown until the cows come home. It's all a bunch of mindless blather. Of course, I am guilty of the same thing. It doesn't change a thing. It just galls me when people ignore reality and imagine that man is some noble being who will someday take his place among the peaceful intergalactic confederation of......blah blah blah.

I couldn't agree with you more on this point. I think that their desire for self preservation and self advancement will render any opinions of US as their equals, "null & void".

I like this quote I found;

Animals fall on to a continuum of awareness and intelligence. While humans have symbols, technology, tools, large brains, and language to set them apart, the "apart space" isn't quite as wide as most assume. All those traits are shared to some degree by animals.

Animals remind me of aliens from outer space. Mostly we don't bother learning their "language" and culture. We just eat them (but hope aliens wouldn't do the same to us!).

www.flatrock.org.nz...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Why not?

We assume that they are more advance than us simply because they have a machine that can get here

Tesla had that machine we ignored him... but this one advance does not mean they are more advance in every way... they could be Barbarians that stole a ship

We assume that they think we might be intelligent and worth communicating with... when we may be just animals to them...

We assume that if they are aware of us that they could care less about us and may be on about their own business

In the early days of film our movies showed us they were bad... we had to wipe them out to save mankind...

Then we turned around wit the cute ET's and Ewoks... Star trek and their friendly peaceful missions (though they did seem to shoot a lot)

Now we go full circle and say they are evil again...

But people forget something... unless they are already here those TV signals that left earth are only 50 light years or so out there...

That is not very far away and any just now getting those signals sees how "friendly" we are to 'visitors'

If I was them peaceful or not I would come packing heat, just like we do when in rattlesnake country

As to that first image... maybe the aliens will think the poor bird is about to be lunch... as they have no context

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
We are a very young species. Lots of promise. Our ideas about the reality of other civilizations are less than what a deep amazon forest peoples would guess about us.

We need to change how we live to survive our ignorance. We need to experience a wider field of perception and gain understanding from observing without trying to covet everything. We need to start helping each other so we can live with compassionate means. We are young. We are few.

To be included in this community we need to pass some goals. One is not kill each other, another not to defecate in our own bathwater and still more things that might sound like they cam from religious or spiritual text, but actually are higher forms of thought and action.

We will not be welcomed as anything but a failed attempt at intelligence unless we rise to the occasion.

We do not even know enough about reality to determine what is good and what is evil yet.

Alien life is much more rich and featured than we can yet understand. We will, at some point be shown the real world. All we will be able to do, with all we have gleaned in the 10,000 years of education, is gawk and wonder.

Seriously. We have no idea. Realize how ignorant we truly are, and that will be the first lesson. The more you know, the less you realize you actually do.

We cannot really perceive if an alien is good or evil unless they mow down cities like SciFi senerios. That wont happen. We might mow ourselves down though. Does that mean we are evil? You see, it is not black and white. It is beyond the spectrum of thought we have available. There are some that have a bead on a path to understanding. We won't really understand unless we all understand. A lesson is coming.

Be as a child. Watch everything. The wondrous is all around and we don't even acknowledge it.

Useless to do anything else. We just embarrass ourselves trying.

ZG

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
When man set off in ships across the ocean to explore seas and lands yet undiscovered beyond the horizon, he feared death from sea monsters, giants and all sorts of terrors. But it is in man's nature to explore. Our insatiable curiosity is what sets us ahead, exploring, learning and growing. There have always been those afraid of the dark who said it's bad or naive or foolish to explore the unknown. Yes, there are always risks. But to avoid risks is to miss life-- to miss destiny. Those people who turn away from the unknown, will always live in fear. They will always live in the past, ever fearful of what tomorrow brings. Luckily, they are in the minority and ultimately will not sway Man's need to reach for the stars or whatever lies hidden in our future.

Man has lucked out so far.. what happens if we do come across somthing that was better left alone?

I can see it both ways. But man has been lucky so far. what happens when our luck runs out and we run into the wrong 'space monsters'?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Well, I think it's a far stretch to assume that aliens would have an emotional body for one, and for two that they would percieve these occurances in the same way we would.

Perhaps they have a much lower threshold of differentiation between the individual and the collective?

Perhaps abundant energy has always been with them?

Perhaps, they have a completely different understanding of Life and Death.

Some human tribes would see these two pictures and think only that they want to be the ones in luxury, while others would grieve in the horror it depicts to them.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Quazga]

Unless these aliens have figured out a way to eat without something having to die to feed them, then they are like us, killers...and scavengers. You can paint this house as holy as you want but it is a slaughter house.

They may not want to help "fix" us because they maybe feeding off our emotions psychically. How many emotions are present here that are just a textbook fable to them.

----
Native Americans didn't have nuclear weapons capable of blowing the planet apart if they so chose to.

[edit on 12/18/2007 by LouisXI]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I've also heard Dr. Michio Kaku say exactly the same thing. The same could have been said by conquerors seeing smoke from somewhere in the Amazon. The more advanced race absorbs the less advanced one. Our conventional wisdom dictates this thought process.

However, looking at where we're going (in general), I would be the first one to yell HELP!! outside our Earth. If any civilization has the capability of listening and coming here (not 100,000 after listening), then I would strongly believe they are more advanced in every way; which leads me to believe either way, an intervention is necessary. As an American, if our president acts as a puppet of a few, and our representatives do not echo our feelings, then I would welcome a more advanced perspective.

"I rather keep my mind open by wonder than closed by belief."

[edit on 18-12-2007 by manticore]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enceladus
FOR decades it has been a staple of science fiction: somewhere out in the galaxy, a highly developed alien race picks up a radio signal from Earth, and decides to eat us for lunch.

No transistor = No abductions

- done in again by our own high-falutin teknologeez!

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   
To be honest, I think mankind is a bit hard and bitchy on itself. Think back thousands of years ago, to man's first steps amongst the other inhabitants of this planet. Now, would any of those other predatory creatures have thought twice about snuffing us out altogether? No. Point is, a species as a whole.

Aggression is the foundation to survival. Nothing has survived by being 'nice'. Basically, intelligent beings like ourselves (we have self-awareness, anyone saying we'd not be classed as an intelligent species amongst the stars is wrong, though primitive, its the potential that counts) know one thing. 'lesser' (used loosely) creatures would not think twice about killing us for food, but we've not wiped out all of these species.

The point i'm trying to make is I think like most other intelligent creatures they've surpassed the need to wipe out an entire race just because of the threat it 'may' pose to one or two of its own. We've barely managed to get ourselves to our own moon, sentient life capable of space travel is highly unlikely to be threatened by our existence.

Some people would say our nuclear weapons would strike fear into them causing a backlash. but why? if we fired a nuclear weapon at anything capable of travel, it would be like calling a man up at the bottom of your street, telling him you're going to punch him and then running up to him in full view. They'd see it coming and have ample time to counter. I'd imagine alien races would find our paranoid nature amusing, who knows, we may become entertainment, being taunted by them. Maybe we already are being taunted???

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
When man set off in ships across the ocean to explore seas and lands yet undiscovered beyond the horizon, he feared death from sea monsters, giants and all sorts of terrors. But it is in man's nature to explore. Our insatiable curiosity is what sets us ahead, exploring, learning and growing. There have always been those afraid of the dark who said it's bad or naive or foolish to explore the unknown. Yes, there are always risks. But to avoid risks is to miss life-- to miss destiny. Those people who turn away from the unknown, will always live in fear. They will always live in the past, ever fearful of what tomorrow brings. Luckily, they are in the minority and ultimately will not sway Man's need to reach for the stars or whatever lies hidden in our future.

Yeah, but sea-monsters dont exist.

What if hostile aliens do...

I still think we're a ways away from actually coming into contact with any advanced life form outside of Earth.

And I dont know about some of these scientists? What makes them think us sending out signals is going to trigger a attack or visit. I dont know how many times I've said this to people, if Aliens ever do or did come to Earth, they already knew what they were going to be facing or they knew what they'd be coming into contact with, Im more than positive they dont need our stupid signals to find us!

Anything that can space travel, or travel through dimensions, however they travel great distances, is far superior to us. So if a attack was coming, it wont be anything like Independence Day.

On that point, if aliens did visit Earth, I'd be weary of approaching them since one rule to life I feel applies to every species. Hate what does not resemble you.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
I don't beleive Aliens are saints or whatnot, but then again, why would Aliens travel hundreds or even thousands of light years to kill humans? It's rediculous.

For the same reason you would take a vacation to Africa and just accidentally step on an ant hill.... they could come here and accidentally not notice us and just step on us.

Why may they not pick up our radio signals? Well, how many bird calls do you understand? How about Poodle, do you speak woof?

If by chance they did understand our radio signals, advertising our presence is a very bad idea. We don't have the capability to fight them if they choose to attack.

If you've noticed, in Earth's history it's the predators that have evolved to become more advanced creatures, not the prey.

And it may not be hundreds or thousands of light years to them. They may be able to fold space/time and slide between dimensions. It may be as simple as pressing a button and presto, they're here. We only assume it would take them a long time to get here but long distance space travel is so far out of the realm of possibility for humans anytime soon, we shouldn't be so adamant about it being virtually impossible just because we can't do it.

[edit on 12/18/2007 by pjslug]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
well ill assume these alien races are listening to us and ill assume that maybee some can can get here i personally feel that they have alraedy been here,but ill also assume that not one person here can say for sure that these scientist or anyone here knows for sure what the ramifacations of sending a signal out to space to let let the aliens know we are here will be .unless we have already met and know what the intentions are and so far i strongly doubt anyone here has had sutch meetings .
untill that time comes its what is called conjecture [ie smartmans bulltish]
ok dont pick on my gramma i know its bad
when i say here i dont been the people in the know they arnt here

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join