It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists warn ET may be dangerous

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
FOR decades it has been a staple of science fiction: somewhere out in the galaxy, a highly developed alien race picks up a radio signal from Earth, and decides to eat us for lunch.

In a world plagued by war, hunger and disease, a possible attack by little green men may not rank high among most nations' concerns. Yet for a small group of scientists who are harnessing increasingly powerful technologies in a trans-galactic search for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence, the prospect of catastrophe has stirred an angry debate.

Two senior scientists have resigned from an elite international study group in protest over a lack of public discussion about the possible consequences of attracting the attention of aliens by sending signals deep into space. "We're talking about initiating communication with other civilisations, but we know nothing of their goals, capabilities or intent," warned John Billingham, a former NASA scientist who has quit an extraterrestrial study group set up by the International Academy of Astronautics.

The scientists involved are all acutely aware of the dangers of ridicule in their discussions of ET and his more sinister cousins. Yet recent advances in radio telescope technologies, and a substantial flow of private funding into ET-related projects, has transformed the "search for extraterrestrial intelligence".

Read complete article

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think anyone who considers the subject very deeply, would be forced to conclude that there is a better than even chance of contacting a race that has the capability to be hostile.

The universe is a hostile environment, so it is reasonable to assume that any spacefaring race would have grown to maturity in competition with other life forms, and would have acquired some means of active or passive protection.

Still, can we hope to expand into space and remain totally isolated, provided there are others out there?

Edit for spelling.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by NGC2736]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:03 AM
link   
It does seem a bit naive to be shouting "hey, over here!" when we don't have anywhere near the capability of even escaping if they do turn out to be hostile. I don't know why, but the movie Independence Day sticks with me to this day and I doubt we'll get as lucky as the in the Hollywood version. Then of course there is "Alien" series. Just the sort we'd like to invite over for dinner.

[edit on 12/17/0707 by jackinthebox]

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
When man set off in ships across the ocean to explore seas and lands yet undiscovered beyond the horizon, he feared death from sea monsters, giants and all sorts of terrors. But it is in man's nature to explore. Our insatiable curiosity is what sets us ahead, exploring, learning and growing. There have always been those afraid of the dark who said it's bad or naive or foolish to explore the unknown. Yes, there are always risks. But to avoid risks is to miss life-- to miss destiny. Those people who turn away from the unknown, will always live in fear. They will always live in the past, ever fearful of what tomorrow brings. Luckily, they are in the minority and ultimately will not sway Man's need to reach for the stars or whatever lies hidden in our future.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jupiter869

Oh, I agree. But it would be dangerously stupid to assume that when we do go into space that any aliens we might meet would become our benevolent space brothers.

I'm for an olive branch in one hand and a good size club in the other.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Yeah, they could be. But then again, they might not. Its 50/50, like everything in life, it either is or it isnt. Theres no inbetween. Now... should one side stop us from exploring? Hell no, keep it coming. Benevolence or malevolence - who cares!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
When man set off in ships across the ocean to explore seas and lands yet undiscovered beyond the horizon, he feared death from sea monsters, giants and all sorts of terrors. But it is in man's nature to explore. Our insatiable curiosity is what sets us ahead, exploring, learning and growing. There have always been those afraid of the dark who said it's bad or naive or foolish to explore the unknown. Yes, there are always risks. But to avoid risks is to miss life-- to miss destiny. Those people who turn away from the unknown, will always live in fear. They will always live in the past, ever fearful of what tomorrow brings. Luckily, they are in the minority and ultimately will not sway Man's need to reach for the stars or whatever lies hidden in our future.

I'll be sure to read this back to you as we're getting blasted by photon torpedoes and colonized.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I'm of the opinion that we should increase our defensive capabilities before we start announcing to all that we are here. At the present time, we don't have any space defenses to speak of that would be of any concern to a militant space faring species.

Once we have sensors, battleships, frigates and carriers with fighters up there, then yes, by all means send out signals. We will probably never need them, but is the risk worth taking?

While I believe that most we encounter would be benevolent, I'm sure that some aren't, and we would at least be able to put up a cursory defense if necessary, and go down fighting if worst.

A hostile race encounter with our current tech level could put us on the receiving end of this quote from the Half Life universe; "This isn't war. This is pest control".

[edit on 17/12/07 by GBBumblebee]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869
When man set off in ships across the ocean to explore seas and lands yet undiscovered beyond the horizon, he feared death from sea monsters, giants and all sorts of terrors. But it is in man's nature to explore.

yep, you could compare the europeans to those hostile aliens...out to explore and conquer the innocent life (indians) that they find in their discoveries. Point well taken.

On the other side, you never know until you try...so guess we will see - or perhaps they are already here.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Some ET's have already proven themselves to be dangerous. There are many accounts in the 1950's of American interceptors being ripped apart mid-air while pursuing discs, some simply "dissappearing". Of course, I suppose we displayed some hostility in trying to intercept them. And then, you have the whole "abduction" phenomenon.

And, don't forget those pesky Klingons

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Has anyone thought that maybe we are the hostile aliens?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I love extraterrestrial individuals, I really do.

Some of them are kind, some of them are not, I guess.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I don't beleive Aliens are saints or whatnot, but then again, why would Aliens travel hundreds or even thousands of light years to kill humans? It's rediculous.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Eventhough I'm a rather stubborn skeptic, I will have to agree with these two 'rogue' scientists.

I would not trust any civilization or order of beings on a higher toposophic level than ourselves. We cannot possibly comprehend what sense of ethics, morals, or sociological makeup these clades would adhere to.

We could be as common and annoying as an insect infestation to many of them...

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18
Has anyone thought that maybe we are the hostile aliens?

Not really, because when it comes to the amount of men we could deploy in space for a possible invasion, everyone just laugh (even the aliens without mouths would laugh their ass off)

Personally I fail to see the issue. We've been sending out signals for 50 years and suddenly being more "careful" aint gonna do squat. There's always a risk involved in everything. As it stands, you're 100,000,000,000 times more likely to get hit by a car after reading this post and talking walk than you are being killed by an alien.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by merka]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
I don't beleive Aliens are saints or whatnot, but then again, why would Aliens travel hundreds or even thousands of light years to kill humans? It's rediculous.

Whats to say that they havent got the technology to travel very large distances in a matter of seconds or even instantaneously? Purhaps distance isn't a factor for them.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:48 AM
link   
"merka"

What I mean is that with our development in technology maybe in two or so hundred years, we will be able to go to other planets and such and with our war like behavior, like attacking other countries it would seem very logical to me that we would attack other planets as we do other countries.....

And any race that was to visit our planet right now would look at our race and see us as violent and stupid creatures....If anything aliens would be fearing us….

[edit on 17-12-2007 by andre18]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Well for better or worse we've been sending out signals for many decades now - they they been travelling near to the speed of light in all directions and in ever increasing quantity ever since the first radio transmission - if you missed a particular episode of Simpson's and you had the capability of faster than light travel there is nothing stopping you whipping out to a point in space where that transmission is on it's eternal journey, or you could illegally down load it which ever you prefer.

So unless we switch off all radio transmissions and backdate that 70 odd years then I afraid the damage has already been done - If hostile aliens lived 35 light years away and they figured out out position in the cosmos they would of jumped in to there light speed destroyers and are due tomorrow
it's been a pleasure smelling y'all

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
If they can travel so many light years and reach us; i am pretty sure they have better technology than what we have; if they are friendly and not interested in any of earths natural resources or anything which we need in our daily life then everything is fine and lets send this signal with some ECHO in it; if thats not the way its going to happen then i guess we are screwed... by sending this invitation

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Wanna know what I think? Well, here it is anyway,

I think that, in all honesty, the next superbug that IS coming is more of a pressing matter than ETs striking us down. Not to mention that tornado in Kansas, those snowstorms in the Midwest and Northeast, as well as the countless car accidents that happen every day as a result of either drunken drivers, or simple carelessness.

Seriously, aren't there more pressing matters to attend to than worrying about whether or not a civilization so far advanced from us that they can travel all the way here from across space could destroy us in 5 minutes? In my opinion, this is a moot point. However, we DO need to maintain a vigilant watch out for signals coming back. First contact is a HUGELY important step for mankind, and one we'll need to make when we can.

Assimilation, one step at a time...
TheBorg

[Edited for retarded spelling on my part. HAHA!!]

[edit on 17-12-2007 by TheBorg]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join