It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists warn ET may be dangerous

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

the real monsters are coming-------the human race----------no wonder They are keeping an eye on us-------its about time that Guy came----you remember that film-------the day the earth stood still---------tells us we all better smarten up or They will vaporize the earth?

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Do any of you honestly think that earth's scientists have NOT already debated this very subject ?

It was studied a long time ago back when SETI first started. The question was asked, "if we get a signal, do we respond ?"

The answer after several million dollars and multiple studies was conclusive...100% yes.

It was decided that any alien race capable of space travel is surely peaceful. The reasoning of course is that any race able to develop such advanced technologies is certainly peaceful otherwise they would have destroyed themselves long before they had gained even further technological means to travel the stars.

There are trillions and trillions of worlds out there. Do you really think that the Earth is so special that an alien race that hasnt blown itself up will stop fighting themselves, develop technology to travel the stars, again not use that technology to kill themselves, travel the stars, and finally invade us ??? Utter nonsense.

And fyi, if you believe the aliens visiting us our hostile then your once again falling for the NWO plans. They want us thinking aliens are hostile. They want us afraid. They use fear as the ultimate weapon. Look at how they manipulate us into giving up freedoms and our very lives over fear of terrorism. And before that it was the big bad russians we needed to spend trillions of dollars to defend against. And the NWO will try to make us afraid of aliens so once again we'll give up more freedoms and even more money to defend.

Wake up people for goodness sake. You complain about the NO yet you fall right into their trap everytime

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by admriker444
Wake up people for goodness sake. You complain about the NO yet you fall right into their trap everytime

I'm sure you would agree that the ethical spectrum of humans ranges from good to evil.

Now consider the fact that a race of beings will only reach the stars if

a) that race survives long enough to reach the stars, or
b) a subgroup of that race manages to survive long enough to reach the stars (which might require that subgroup to conquer its home planet).

Neither of those precludes the possibility of an evil race of beings traveling to other planets.

We humans, which everyone in this forum loves to criticize (since we're oh so bad and untrustworthy) could very likely survive long enough to reach other star systems, while still maintaining a range of both good and evil people.

Or alternatively, Hitler could have won World War II and gone on to conquer and enslave the rest of the planet -- and then colonize the stars.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

It was decided that any alien race capable of space travel is surely peaceful. The reasoning of course is that any race able to develop such advanced technologies is certainly peaceful otherwise they would have destroyed themselves long before they had gained even further technological means to travel the stars.

I suppose everyone's entitled to their opinion, including these "scientists" of whom you speak. I see these folks, however, falling victim to that same trap that we all do, which is projecting their own identities onto the aliens. They tend to see aliens as peaceful scientific explorers, super-nerds, much like themselves, and since these scientists don't see themselves as hostile or aggressive, that's the way they see the hypothetical aliens. They could be right, but that remains to be seen.

As for the "dangerous" aspect, I do tend to think that if aliens exist (and there's certainly no proof that they do), and are interacting with us, that will be extremely calamitous, and likely not be a happy day. I can see very few benefits to humanity learning that they're no longer the biggest kids on the block. Sure, a few will take it in stride. And a few will fantasize about the Space Brothers teaching us the secrets of the universe and giving us spaceship rides to Pluto. And things might be okay for a while if we find a signal from 100,000 light years away.

But if it's revealed that they're interacting with us in any way, even if it's friendly, most of us won't like the idea of us being one step lower on the evolutionary ladder (or food chain) one little bit, and will eventually cause our little human society to tear itself apart from the inside. Dangerous, indeed.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Yes we are a violent alien race - to anyone visiting us.

Survival is a driving force for us but I can't speak for Aliens.

If aliens have a survival instinct (I have no idea if they do) and see us as a violent race that is quickly on the move to becoming an interstellar player, sure, I think they could be violent with us or at least try to contain us.

Co-existing in peace with others is not in our blood. (IMHO)

Co-existing with others on our own terms with those terms forced on the "others" is more like it. (IMHO)

The survival of our proud species is what is important. (IMHO)

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Riposte

your opinion and i disagree. Aliens are likely to be peaceful if they have managed to survive long enough to travel the stars.

I agree with the SETI study over some opinions of a few non-experts here.

And you completely ignored the fact that there are many witnesses and evidence proving the NWO will use aliens as an excuse to further their goals. They did it with the russians, getting us to allow martial law executive orders and camps built without complaint. They got us to accept the Patriot Act because of those awful terrorist. What will they get us to accept once the aliens threaten us ?

world goverment for starters

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GBBumblebee
I'm of the opinion that we should increase our defensive capabilities before we start announcing to all that we are here. At the present time, we don't have any space defenses to speak of that would be of any concern to a militant space faring species.

Asolutely pointless. Furthermore, it is playing in to the hands of the USA.NASA.mil to weaponise space. New World Order, anyone?

An alien species that can reach us with an invasion fleet will have NO problems taking out our primative orbital 'defences'.

Send the signals out more often, I say! If others arrive and they are hostile, then I'll die laughing at all of the people who believe the current lie being told by the USA.NASA.mil that there's nothing there. The 'good' ones are already visiting us now anyway...

I'd rather die fighting an alien race, than live a slave life for the NWO.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
I'd rather die fighting an alien race, than live a slave life for the NWO.

Them's fighting words, but I'm afraid you don't have anyone to fight against. Love makes you a slave, not some shadowy conspiracy. It's love for your family and friends that makes you go to work and follow the rules and pay your bills to the evil oil companies and drive on the correct side of the street. If you didn't care, if you didn't have anyone to love and protect, you'd be free, NWO or not.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Enceladus

Ok....lets prove their existence first..can we? I mean thats completely speculative isn't it? almost laughable.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Hi all. I never posted here before, but this subject drew me out from under my bridge.

I think that if there is a race or races, that are capable of wiping us out or enslaving us, they'd have done it by now. Maybe they have though eh?

Probably fish people from Sirius, but try saying THAT down your local boozer!

To wander into a dark forest unarmed is just naive. If we do travel off into space with the best weapons and defenses our planet could supply and find some evil race of mutant war spiders that defeat us and take Earth over, at least we weren't stupid enough to dance up to them and show them our blood tastes real nice to spiders!

We should take a policy of hide, observe, if they are cool then say hi otherwise hide or destroy them in a covert fashion.

Like the reppies do that live underground on Earth. Create a "cover civilisation" to take the blame for your actions. It'd only work if they didn't know about you though as they would be inferior and probably have big mouths about such things as a reptilian overlord species beneath their feet.

...oh #!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

your opinion and i disagree. Aliens are likely to be peaceful if they have managed to survive long enough to travel the stars.

Disagree with what? You just admitted that aliens are only "likely" to be peaceful. That is not a guarantee.

And you completely ignored the fact that there are many witnesses and evidence proving the NWO will use aliens as an excuse to further their goals. They did it with the russians, getting us to allow martial law executive orders and camps built without complaint. They got us to accept the Patriot Act because of those awful terrorist. What will they get us to accept once the aliens threaten us ?

world goverment for starters

There is such a thing as disinformation, you know -- and complete fabrications as well.

EDIT: You know, the conspiracy theories you're touting in the paragraph above also tie in with the belief that we humans are already visiting other stars, with reverse engineered alien technology and so on.

And if that's the case, the evil part of humans are the aliens traveling to other planets, which shows that ETs can be dangerous after all.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by Riposte]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Two senior scientists have resigned from an elite international study group in protest over a lack of public discussion about the possible consequences of attracting the attention of aliens by sending signals deep into space. "We're talking about initiating communication with other civilisations, but we know nothing of their goals, capabilities or intent," warned John Billingham, a former NASA scientist who has quit an extraterrestrial study group set up by the International Academy of Astronautics.

Sadly these scientists are assuming "aliens" think like humans.Perhaps the aliens want nothing to do with us because of our violent tendencies.
To quote one person:

And are we really in danger of inviting Armageddon? Bernard Lovell, the British founder of the Jodrell Bank Observatory, once remarked that it was a "dangerous assumption" that any alien life would turn out to be friendly.

What does he base his assumption on ?Obviously he doesn't grasp the concept of a peaceful universe where different species can co-exist in harmony.Humans at the present stand in the way of this in my view.

Edited for typo

[edit on 17-12-2007 by citizen truth]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LouisXI
I'll be sure to read this back to you as we're getting blasted by photon torpedoes and colonized.

Well now so it begins... von Braun said that the forth manufactured enemy would be Alien invasion...

So the Scientists are now warning us... well better get ready to shell out more taxes to buy more of those expensive space weapons and battle cruisers...

I think we need to be watchful for photon torpedoes and beam weapons from our side pretending to be "THEM"

IMHO

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I ET's were really that smart they would want nothing to do with us. They would look at us for two seconds and see that we are killing eachother and destroying the earth. They would see that are society is on the verge of failure and would leave us be.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stove167
I ET's were really that smart they would want nothing to do with us. They would look at us for two seconds and see that we are killing eachother and destroying the earth. They would see that are society is on the verge of failure and would leave us be.

Then why has the standard of living for all of humanity continued to rise, since the beginning of our existence?

Why has the frequency and severity of war been in decline for the last century, when compared to the short and brutish lives of mankind before the modern era?

Why does our population continue to grow, with nonstop advances in science, technology, medicine and general knowledge?

Why are we on the verge of failure now, when things are always getting better? What metric can you point to that signals the downfall of humanity?

Some people here sure like to criticize the mainstream, but at the same time seem to be just as brainwashed by some form of groupthink that permeates our culture.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dark_matter06
I think advanced life must have found a way around greed even if they learned the hard way as we are now.

I think one thing that mans history has taught us it that the more advanced we are, the more greedy we become. We are not content to live and let live.
I pity the race of Aliens we come into contact with. If we happen to be more advanced we will dominate them, they will have to humbly submit to our will or suffer dire consequences.

We will not view them as superior or even equal. They will be hideous in our eyes. Nothing more than savages. We will feel that it is our divine right to enslave them. After all, we are the race created in the image of God.....

Their resources will be coveted, we will conspire to strip them of what we need or want. Their customs we will look upon with contempt. If we allow them to practice them, it will only be for the sake of our amusement.

No, I hope for their sake they stay well hidden.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riposte

Then why has the standard of living for all of humanity continued to rise, since the beginning of our existence?

Why has the frequency and severity of war been in decline for the last century, when compared to the short and brutish lives of mankind before the modern era?

Why does our population continue to grow, with nonstop advances in science, technology, medicine and general knowledge?

Why are we on the verge of failure now, when things are always getting better? What metric can you point to that signals the downfall of humanity?

Some people here sure like to criticize the mainstream, but at the same time seem to be just as brainwashed by some form of groupthink that permeates our culture.

www.youtube.com... watch this excellent video by carl sagan. Think about it, we are KILLING eachother. Also many of these advances in technology and science are adding to the destruction of the earth.

[edit on 17-12-2007 by stove167]

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Unless they were the reptilians working with our people to terraform the Earth to suit their needs... Reptiles like it warm Global warming would be just the ticket...

As to want nothing to do with us...

I notice that in most UFO abduction stories its about 1% giving trips to Venus etc... 99% medical experiments and mutilations... I don't like those odds...

Someone once asked me "Why would they have to do the same medical experiments over and over?"

Well back in high school biology we dissected frogs... you had to or lose the grade... so maybe these abductions are Alien Exobiology 101 students and every year there is a new class...

And I suppose if the subject dies... you fail

Pleasant Dreams

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

the real monsters are coming-------the human race----------no wonder They are keeping an eye on us-------its about time that Guy came----you remember that film-------the day the earth stood still---------tells us we all better smarten up or They will vaporize the earth?

yes bud i remember the film ...complete classic!!!

i just mean even if we do make it into deep space exploration.. the probably have more to fear from us than we do of them .... then again thier probably saying the same thing!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Unless they were the reptilians working with our people to terraform the Earth to suit their needs... Reptiles like it warm Global warming would be just the ticket...

As to want nothing to do with us...

I notice that in most UFO abduction stories its about 1% giving trips to Venus etc... 99% medical experiments and mutilations... I don't like those odds...

Someone once asked me "Why would they have to do the same medical experiments over and over?"

Well back in high school biology we dissected frogs... you had to or lose the grade... so maybe these abductions are Alien Exobiology 101 students and every year there is a new class...

And I suppose if the subject dies... you fail

Pleasant Dreams

I personally don't believe any story of an alien abduction. I am 99.9999% sure there is another form of life out in the universe but anyone with a basic concept of how large the universe is the chances of us coming in contact with one are not good.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join