It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hear Voices? It May Be an Ad

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

i actually watched that show last night.what a contrived piece of crap.these kids are no paranormal researchers trust me,its about the lead guy,and his ego,I swear ,there were more camera shots of him making seriuos faces and pretending to write notes than anything paranormal happening.its all blair witch like,with its camera work.junk.They need to pump this kind of money into brainwash advertising just to get people to think its good.its not..dont be fooled.If any ad company wants to try and pump ads into my head like that, they,re asking for trouble.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
If its used well, its awesome.

There are lots of ad-agencies falling over themselves to get their hands on this technology as its "new". When something new arrives the ad-agencies are like magpies.

For those of you who are paranoid about one little speaker frying your brain here's a suggestion for you.. Don't go near any airports...automatic doors, speed cameras, traffic lights or traffic cops or weather stations, oh and i wouldn't use a mobile either. Alot of these places use something called radar, that will do you far more damage.

The advertising stuff will be used for a few high profile campaigns for impact, then will be shelved because its been done before.

Now let me paint you another picture.

Your in the basement of a building......its full of smoke, you can't see a thing. Would it not be handy if a soothing voice guided you up the stairs, instead of 12 shrill sirens from all directions not really helping?

There are loads of applications for this technology to do good, and actually improve peoples lives. Im really surprised some of the people on here even own a "devils type-writer" (PC)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I think I can see a lawsuit heading down to A&E's front door. It will be interesting to see how this comes out. This is not only an intrusion to privacy, but I can imagine it to be VERY obnoxious as well. I already have enough things going on in my head as it is.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by laiguana]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Great thread OP!

Man it took every ounce of discipline I had to read through all eight pages before I posted. I had this idea instantly upon reading the OP and I was particularly amused by Gools' most vehement reaction to this technology. I'll probably be flamed for this but...

Regardless of what anyone may think about D4rk Kn1ght's warnings (And, again, I am skeptically on the fence), this technology completely fits into his description of what he claims will happen. He has clearly stated people will see and HEAR things very specific to them.

I'm just saying is all...

Back to the OP: Horrifying! Our society and economy are so consumer driven and marketing is so powerful and pervasive in our culture, I wonder if it will even do any good to protest. It seems inevitable. Evil, but inevitable. Tin hats all around!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Great thread OP!

Regardless of what anyone may think about D4rk Kn1ght's warnings (And, again, I am skeptically on the fence), this technology completely fits into his description of what he claims will happen. He has clearly stated people will see and HEAR things very specific to them.

I'm just saying is all...

!

hahahaha! i was waiting for that one!

Ill do you a deal, find me some of these speakers that can be slung underneath an orbiting satellite and ill agree with you.

Its just a natural development of the technology, very much like colour tv over black and white.

This being said, Dark Knights posts concerns me a little if im honest. There was something that resonated true, but i doubt it has anything to do with this technology.

UNLESS!!!!

it goes a little something like this... "we interrupt the apocalypse to bring you this message, buy duff beer!".

Actually that makes scene, the viewing figures would be brief but awesome. Its a marketing dream come true.. "Duff beer, the last thing you will ever drink"
Thats it.... Burn the speakers!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
How many babies has this harmed?

I have to disagree with you on this one. There has been significant warnings to expecting mothers as to the potential harmful effects of too many ultrasounds during pregnancy. As a medical center employee and a recent father, I have heard numerous times, "We have to limit the amount of ultrasounds we give to the patient." My wife only had 2 ultrasounds during her pregnancy. One to sex the baby at 20 weeks and the other two months before birth to just make sure things were still going okay. Any kind of "external imagery" has the potential to be harmful.

During the 1990s, a number of studies hinted that ultrasound scanning affected unborn babies. Research has suggested that subtle brain damage can cause people who ought genetically to be right-handed to become left-handed. In addition, these people face a higher risk of conditions ranging from learning difficulties to epilepsy.
Now a team of Swedish scientists has confirmed the earlier reports on the effects of ultrasound with the most compelling evidence yet that unborn babies are affected by the scanning. They compared almost 7,000 men whose mothers underwent scanning in the 1970s with 170,000 men whose mothers did not, looking for differences in the rates of left- and right-handedness. The team found that men whose mothers had scans were significantly more likely to be left-handed than normal, pointing to a higher rate of brain damage while in the womb. Crucially, the biggest difference was found among those born after 1975, when doctors introduced a second scan later in pregnancy. Such men were 32 per cent more likely to be left-handed than those in the control group.

ultrasound linked to brain damage in babies

this is a great article on the truth of ultrasound.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by palehorse23]

[edit on 12/12/2007 by palehorse23]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Many things have the potential to be harmful. Some more than others. This one is extremely bad because there is no way to decide how the person "receiving" it would be effected.

If you ever thought the registration of firearms was a good thing, you should be all over this. At least most firearms make a loud noise for others to notice and some forensic evidence to trace.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Anything, absolutely anything can be abused and used to harm someone. That does not mean that the technology itself is harmful, evil, or dangerous.

I agree with you 100% My point in starting this thread was to get the opinions on what would happen if this technology fell into the wrong hands. Of course we all hate advertising. That is a given. It will never go away. Don't get me wrong, I am very pissed that this is even allowed out into the public.
My worst fears lie in the fact that if this form of technology gets into the hands of a powerful person, or even a joe schmoe that wants to try and get people to listen to him, there could be some serious repercutions.
We know that this technology in its current form may not be that harmful. But, we also know that anything the public has, the gov't and other powerful institutions have something ten times better. That is what I am most afraid of with this.
Another question. What about all of the people that already walk around "hearing" voices due to some mental condition. Do we need to be blasting them, even if it's unintentional, with this nonsense? Why make matters worse for them. This also includes the homeless who have no access to means of educating themselves about things like this.

apc

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
There are studies that show a possibility of harm from medical ultrasound exposure, and then there are studies that show no adverse effects until you crank up the juice. It's just like cellphones. Every time there's a study done that concludes cellphones cause cancer, there's another refuting it. It all boils down to power output. If you hang out on a FM radio tower, you will cook. But you can be on the ground for a hundred years and never be affected.

But I don't really expect this to be used in advertising anywhere near as much as is being dramatically expected. The point of advertising is to get word of your product or service out to as many people as possible as often as possible for the least percentage of return. That contradicts the notion of advertising to one person at a time. I get this A&E billboard wanting to be all spooky, but Coca Cola will never be telling anyone that they're thirsty.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Call me paranoid, but I had the same immediate thought as Kosmicjack when I read about this new technology. If Project Bluebeam is real (I'm still not totally convinced), then this technology (or an advanced version of it) could be used to project "personal" messages into people's ears, such as "It's me, Jesus Christ, I have come to spread the final judgment."

Hey, who knows. The world is so much weirder than we think, I wouldn't be amazed about anything anymore.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2believeor0
The only worry I have about this technology is that it is easy to hide the source, and maybe also to alter the vector of the resulting sonic wavefront to confuse the target about the direction of the source (this last bit I am wildly guessing).

[edit on 12/12/2007 by 2believeor0]

Simple..

Identify the product being sold & Boycot their products.

There are lines that should never be crossed & if the commercial sector adopts this in full, they will be sorry in the long run.

Also I don't think Earplugs will help one little bit with this tech & even if they did, I should not have to walk the streets wearing earplugs just to be free of commercials.

This technology has the potential of breaking soo many privacy laws, but laws can be re-written & congress has proven time & time again, that big money can erase old laws & buy new ones when ever it likes..lol

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

This is very true. Very weird indeed. I am a firm believer in "question everything". I am going to be keeping a very close eye on this company Holosonics, Inc.
What I have found so far of this company is that they actually went bankrupt in 1979 owing millions in debt. Someone must have had interest into Dr. Pompei's (founder of Holosonic, Inc) accoustical research. As I am sure the company is doing very well right now.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This also reminds me of the movies "Brazil" and "Minority Report". Personalized marketing.

Once again, the old addage information is power comes to mind. The OP has a new thread on ATS about a technology used to create a searchable database in order to categorize information about everyone regarding everything. I see that technology going hand-in-hand with this one.

The more information the PTB gathers, the more effective info-bombs they can create in both an individual's daily life and in society at large - whether it's through marketing or data manipulation the endgame is behavioral control.

apc

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
This technology has the potential of breaking soo many privacy laws...

I still don't follow this argument. What privacy laws? How is privacy being violated? No information is obtained from the listener. Disturbing the peace I could understand, but how in the world is this an issue of privacy?

Is the privacy notion still based on the misconception made originally by the article author that the sound will be generated within your own head? The sound is generated on the way to your head. It would sound like a speaker is just a few feet away when it could actually be a hundred feet away.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
All those tin foil hats may come in handy after all.

Maybe I'll look into marketing them myself.

My company slogan= "Tinfoil hats, not just for ATS anymore."

SIGN ME UP!! I'll take like a few dozen, great stocking-stuffers!! and can u also make me an entire tin-foil suit? y'never know when it may come in handy. lol

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

That is what I dont understand either.

How is it breaking privacy laws anymore then a billboard is breaking privacy laws.....or all the ridiculous crap in Times Square?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

I agree apc. I don't think privacy laws are affected here. that would be a good comment for my other thread of collecting all of your info into one giant database.
Advertising has nothing to do with privacy issue, otherwise every TV network would have a lawsuit against it. What ever happened to the time when people thought that subliminal messages were being shown in movies? that seemed to drop off rather quickly.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I swear, I usually agree with many of your posts but I just don't 'get' how you don't get this!

Believe me, if people thought second-hand smoke was inconvenient, difficult for people to accept and dangerous to their health...it's only a matter of time before this is banned too. And that's not even addressing the principle or ethics of the matter.

I really feel that those who claim to have no problem with this technology are being contrary just for augument's sake. Just foe me now if you really don't get this...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Ummmm

i never said I thought it was GREAT or that I support it. I said I dont see it as an invasion of privacy.

I think it would be incredibly obnoxious....just as Times Square is...just as regular advertising is. Just as hearing my neighbors is.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Well, you don't have to look at a billboard or advertisement. You can flip past the commercials on T.V.

But if you don't see how having a sound projected into your head, unwillingly and unsolicited while you are MYOB, just walking down the street, is not an invasion of privacy- the privacy of your own thoughts...well then I guess you wouldn't mind if someone just walked right up and slapped you either. Hypothetically speaking...
Because it's just as much of an affront.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join