It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hear Voices? It May Be an Ad

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
No anger, just words.... simple symbols that make up our language.
I was just replying to your post...no offense is meant at all.
ATS is weird about word usage and pronunciation and grammar,
which is not any of my best areas....Ive always been the math kid at school

and at the moment....it seems that it is very possible for the things i hear to be ads...
hence the title of the thread which led me here....

edit for additional comment

[edit on 12-12-2007 by ~Axiom~]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Sorry memoryshock for misunderstanding the difference between sound entrainment and resonance. Busy here and I'm trying to do a bunch of things at once. Maybe I need more RAM?

During an earthquake, buildings oscillate. If the frequency of this oscillation is close to the natural frequency of the building, resonance may cause severe damage,

tremor.nmt.edu...

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BitRaiser

One way to temper that might be to think about the following:
With the exception of Government Workers, every dollar, of nearly everyones paychecks are derived from sales. Without sales, accomplished by Salespersons, there is no paycheck.

I post this in defense of my Sales Staff.

On topic,
I get the feeling, even though others have tried to explain, that many think this is something more than a speaker? That it is an invasion into your Brain? It is just a speaker. Nothing more. The only thing new is that it can be directed at a specific location in a defined area. You hear it through your ears like any other sound.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I agree. I think some people think its some sort of telepathy type thing. Like someone thinking thoughts into your brain.

From what I understood, its no different then driving down the road and having to hear the loud annoying music in the car next to you.....or hearing your neighbors loud music (or other sounds :barf
. Or being a game and announcers saying things over the intercom.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Also.....Does anyone reading this live in NYC, near SOHO so they can go and experience this and report back??

adage.com...

NEW YORK (AdAge.com) -- New Yorker Alison Wilson was walking down Prince Street in SoHo last week when she heard a woman's voice right in her ear asking, "Who's there? Who's there?" She looked around to find no one in her immediate surroundings. Then the voice said, "It's not your imagination."

Indeed it isn't. It's an ad for "Paranormal State," a ghost-themed series premiering on A&E this week. The billboard uses technology manufactured by Holosonic that transmits an "audio spotlight" from a rooftop speaker so that the sound is contained within your cranium. The technology, ideal for museums and libraries or environments that require a quiet atmosphere for isolated audio slideshows, has rarely been used on such a scale before. For random passersby and residents who have to walk unwittingly through the area where the voice will penetrate their inner peace, it's another story.

........hopes consumer acceptance comes with time. "The sound isn't rattling your skull, it's not penetrating you, it's not doing anything nefarious at all. It's just like having a flashlight vs. a light bulb," he said.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wow, I should have read further before I posted. My bad.

I hate that phrase - My Bad. So why do I use it. Perhaps someone planted it in my mind.

I could see that this could be abused and used like a "Gaslight" routine. Maybe even convince someone they are crazy when they are not. It's a rather large and obvious device, but if hidden I suppose. I wonder if I could increase my business? Just Kidding

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
To everyone saying "this is no different than a speaker", I have a question for you.

Then why not just use a speaker?

More people would hear it.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think it is safe to assume that this has been in the research phase for years and years, and there is not doubt whatsoever the military would be all over this technology.

The fact is, if it is now already in the advertising phase, the military has already used it and moved on to better technology.

This is freaky deaky stuff. Minority Report world here we come.

apc

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

They do that already on TV and radio.

The purpose of this method is to create the illusion of a personal experience without disturbing others.

And in response to your previous question about 100s of ultrasounds, yeah that would probably be bad. If you had 100 of these holosonics pointed at you all playing the same audio in sync, the hypersonics would reenforce as would the generated audio so it would sound really loud. It would actually defeat the purpose for advertisers to do this.

As far as some nefarious intent, whooptie do. I can kill someone with my pencil too. So what? Anything, absolutely anything can be abused and used to harm someone. That does not mean that the technology itself is harmful, evil, or dangerous.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
reply to post by Griff

They do that already on TV and radio.

Exactly my point.

The purpose of this method is to create the illusion of a personal experience without disturbing others.

Well, I don't want a personal experience telling me to buy Coke instead of Pepsi.

Read personal as in private.

As far as some nefarious intent, whooptie do. I can kill someone with my pencil too. So what? Anything, absolutely anything can be abused and used to harm someone. That does not mean that the technology itself is harmful, evil, or dangerous.

Problem is, IMO, there a plethora of abuses as oppossed to the benefits.

What benefit, other than a "personally experienced advertisement", does this technology have?

I can think of quite a few neffarious ones, but can only think of one good one. If you can even call advertisements "good".

[edit on 12/12/2007 by Griff]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I'm immune!

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
eh and we cant say invasion of privacy because this wil be operating (hopefully) in public areas atleast ide hate to have to deal with that 24 hours a day. it could be good for like if there was a evacuation going on and alongside the speakers of search and rescue crews they had this for people who may be asleep and cant hear whats going on. but it wont be long before this is a crowd control weapon too. loud high pitched noise and you cant cover your ears or anything to help diminish the sound. sonic weapons that are more powerful then the ones we have now.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
reply to post by Ironclad

People, PLEASE read the description of the technology from the people that built it.

There are no microwaves or radio waves at all. It is SOUND. In fact it is the manipulation of the interaction between hypersonic oscillations to produce lower frequency highly directional audible sound. The end result is absolutely no different than having a regular speaker pointed at your head.

This will not cause cancer. It is not contained within your head. It is just focused sound waves so only someone standing in the "beam" can hear them.

I have since read the Creators desriptions & I stand corrected..

However..

Point Loudspeakers at someones head indefinately & they end up with damage to the ear & sometimes even worse.

So I wonder what this Technology will do to us, if it's Directed at us from all directions non-stop.

You simply cannot expect that Soundwaves will have no adverse effects over a long period of time.

I do not care how safe they say it is, Companies always lie about that stuff & hope nobody ever puts two & two togeather if anything dose happen.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The idea saying, if you used earplugs is ridiculous, why should I have to wear earplugs to evade advertisers. Sombody strike the gong. Wrong answer.
It is obvious to me that people object to this type of advertising, I am not going to say that it is a military test bed, but if something like this were to work it would definately be put on the military playing field. It does not matter if it is being beamed into our heads, it is the perception that we are hearing something that we think could be in our heads. This is not a George Orwell book, this is our lives. If the advertisement is not good enough to look up at a billboard, than all your doing by shoving it down my throat is upsetting me and from the looks of this forum upsetting everyone else. So get the hint and quit trying to explain it to us we do not want it. PERIOD.!!! (just a rant not directed to anyone)

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
this technology would be awesome when used properly.

I say we pump in "Afternoon Delight " at Max volume 24/7 on every deathrow cell block in the country until their heads explode

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
The harmful and therapeutic ultrasonic waves described are at significantly higher amplitudes. It would be like hanging out inside a 160db subwoofer truck. Yeah, you're going to get hurt if you're not smart about it.

Pregnant women get their belly rubbed every day with ultrasonic audio sources. I haven't seen any pop out a giant infant tumor yet.

Good work on identifying the details of how the technology works ... but a slight correction here.

While the typical US exam is not likely to hurt, it has the potential to cause damage. Ultrasound can cause problems if the tissue absorbs too much energy and heats up.

EDIT: Here is a link that discusses the potential harm.
[link]http://www.parkhurstexchange.com/qa/A.php?q=/qa/Imaging/1998-06-21.qa[/link]

So you typically dont want a highly energized US beam directly at you for a long period of time. In conclusion, yes it can be harmful without you realizing it - which is not the same as standing next to a 10,000 watt speaker since in that case you are aware of the high power being output.

[edit on 12/12/2007 by 2believeor0]

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by palehorse23

how do we shield against this attack?----------do we all have to wear a full head/face helmet with a metal shell and mesh metal screen for our faces to keep out this radiation?

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The only worry I have about this technology is that it is easy to hide the source, and maybe also to alter the vector of the resulting sonic wavefront to confuse the target about the direction of the source (this last bit I am wildly guessing).

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
reply to post by palehorse23

how do we shield against this attack?----------do we all have to wear a full head/face helmet with a metal shell and mesh metal screen for our faces to keep out this radiation?

If the voices you hear are spatial in nature, just step out of the area and you are ok - that is a simple test to make sure its the evil AD company and not your brain playing tricks.

apc

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

No, not private. Personal. Just as personal as a commercial on a TV you just happened to be watching. If you are offended by the use of audible advertising, don't buy their products or patronage their services.

You can find a plethora of potential abuses for EVERYTHING. The practicality of such deeds however is the question. While surrounding someone with holosonics and blasting them with Cher until their head explodes would be really, really cool... I don't think it would be very practical.

reply to post by 2believeor0

From what I can tell this is a point of controversy with your typical two camps.

If the potential for damage exists it would be like anything else, entirely dependent on the transmission power [and proximity to the source]. This assuming any ultrasonic frequencies actually make it to your head. Not enough technical detail is provided on the designers website, but if I understand the concept correctly the amplitude of what you would hear would be the same amplitude as the original ultrasonics. Which would be pretty low, relatively.

If there is a true danger from low-power ultrasonics, it has yet to be demonstrated.

[edit on 12-12-2007 by apc]

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join