It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan hunting protected humpback whales!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Most of the whale loving public just has to understand and deal with the fact that whales are a food source, and that if you can eat it, then you can, and someone will. Simply because you choose not to, doesn't give you the right to dictate terms to anyone else. Yes, its all well and good you prefer to eat rabbit food and claim its benefits. Good for you, but no one but you cares.

lets face it:
if they weren't meant to be eaten, they wouldn't be made of meat
if they weren't meant to be used for oil, they wouldn't have any

you claim cruelty, but how is it any different than any other animal taking a kill?Do you think animals being felled by tooth and claw feel any more or less pain than by harpoon or bullet? Get real, its a brutal world when you look at it, and it won't go away just because you can't handle or accept it.

When you can say you treat any of your other food animals that much more humanely, then you might have room to complain if it bothers you all that much.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

I agree wholeheartedly! If there are not international limitations in place or if the ones that are cannot be managed properly then new laws should be drafted.

I may sound like the bad guy here but if I think a population needs a certain protection then I am right there to say so.

Imagine if someone came into your country and told you that you can never perform age old customs of your culture ever again? What would you say?

There are now animals that number less than 100 in the wild, I don't see anyone here starting a thread about them. There are many sharks in danger but nobody cares if they get slaughtered!

Misplaced priorities is the attitude of the day. Nothing personal to anyone here.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I think that as long as they hunt them like they did 500 years ago, they should be allowed to continue there cutural rituals. I personnally think any man that gets in a dingy with a harpoon to spooch an animal 1000X larger then him has some balls and should be allowed to do it.

This being said, no motors should be allow, no guns, no form of air compression. Just simple man muscle, and a steel tipped lance.

Go to town, and have some meat.

In the mean time, I think greenpeace should be allowed to arm themselves, in order to protect from pirates that would attack the unarmed flotilla. If some collaborators happen to smuggle guns in, greenpeace should be allowed to mow them down..

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The Japanese do not give two #s to Sunday about anything with regards to life. I am not being racist. Read Guns, Germs & Steel and you will find this is an Asian trait.

Asians believe they were the first race on Earth- which seems to be more true than not- yet they seem to incorporate this history by somehow being exempt- with the exception of force and economy- they little regard for life and even less for endangered species- this arrogance is obviously historical arrogance for being at the top origin of the proverbial food chain:

www.youtube.com...

Watch the entire video if you have the stones.....

This is so gross- yet it shows that the original race on the face of the Earth is not only contemptuous- but even seems to enjoy themselves.

All of Asian should have been turned into green glass during WW2. End transmission.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by dk3000]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Oh nooooo!!!!!

Japan is hunting whales.....

We better get out the Nukes and have at them again....

We can't let them get away with this....

Nuke'm Nuke'm Nuke'm

When will these japs learn anything? How many nukes does it take to teach them a lesson?

By the way, does anyone know how many cows, lambs, chickens, frogs, snails, goats, deer, bear, elk, red stag, buffalo, pigs......

ARE SLAUGHTERED EACH YEAR???

When we stop the slaughter of ALL ANIMALS FOR FOOD only then will I condemn the japanese for killing a couple of whales.

I guess it's a bad day to be a whale...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
its about time to learn to raise humpbacks, they way we do cows and other livestock.

dunno how they'd do it, fencing in a number of square miles off the japanese coast? breeding miniature versions of the whales for commercial purposes?

there is a market for the whales, the wild whales need to be preserved, agriculture once again, is the key.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by dk3000

This is so gross- yet it shows that the original race on the face of the Earth is not only contemptuous- but even seems to enjoy themselves.

All of Asian should have been turned into green glass during WW2. End transmission.

its just food, thats where it comes from, a few individuals may appear to be gleeful, maybe because they know they're getting paid and can feed their family, or its close to quittin time, or whatever... out of context its easy to put a malicious spin on it, which is the agenda here.

no one worries about the mass slaughter of innocent vegetables, do they? is it because they're not cute, with big, soulful eyes?

the japanese dont give us any crap about all the chickens and cows we eat, but at least we breed our food, they should do the same with whales and then, bon apetit! cheap affordable whale products hit the market and the wild whales are safe.

everyone happy, but for a few militant vegans out there (as if anyone cares)

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jojoKnowsBest

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

As far as Greenpeace goes, I applaud the organization for defending animals that are incapable of defending themselves against humans.

"They're violent environmental terrorists," mission leader Hajime Ishikawa told the crowd. "Their violence is unforgivable... We must fight against their hypocrisy and lies."
Source

Sound familiar? Not only is it familiar but it is the most blatant display of hyped fear-mongering propaganda that I think I've ever seen. If anything the Japanese whalers are the violent environmental terrorists and not Greenpeace who are defending the whales. If whales could mount up on two legs and come ashore to kill 50 Japanese civilians and return to sea with their catch of the day, then that should make it even, right? Either way one looks at it, Japanese killing whales or whales killing Japanese, murder is not being committed, right? The thing is that whales are not doing so, but the Japanese are, and they are breaking international laws to do so. Frankly the Japanese whalers are criminals! In my view, Greenpeace is correct to defend the whales in the absence of law enforcement doing so.

On an emotional level, anybody with even a modest understanding of whales knows that they are intelligent and emotional creatures that benefit from social organization and create songs that are constantly evolving, as well as rejoice and grieve just as humans do. In light of our current knowledge of whales, to kill even one is barbaric. At least the Inuit today would kill for the express need their express need to survive.

50 whales per year representing the Inuit population of approximately 150,000 represents a sustainable harvest. However, the economic situation of Japan, Norway, Iceland, and Denmark does not represent sustainable economics when combined. Population of Japan: 128 million; Norway: 4.8 million; Iceland: 312,000; Denmark: 5.5 million. With the exception of Iceland, whaling should be prohibited and declared illegal enterprise for all of these countries. And with regards to Iceland, the proceeds from whaling, i.e., food, oil, and other materials should be restricted for domestic consumption only, so as not to influence greater demand through international trade. Percentages of population growth for all four countries is trending downwards, but Iceland clearly has more favorable numbers of actual population when compared to that of the humpback whales relative to the other countries. Source

Japan, Norway, Iceland, and Denmark each represent an economy that revolves around central banking. That is to say, the money that is generated for each nation is generated through the creation of debt. Because new money can only be created through the creation of debt, that means that new goods and services must be created at the same or near the same rate that money is created in order for new money to be created. No debt equals no money. Theoretically an infinite amount of money can be created through an infinite demand for credit. However we live in a world and universe of finite natural resources, and so, naturally, the question of sustainability arises. Whether it is whales, oil, trees, humans, or other natural resources it is only available in finite quantity.

Japan's Fishing Ministry called the mission the "biggest-ever scientific whale hunt," and planned to continue the hunt until April 2008. Japan claimed it needed to kill the animals for research on the humpback whales' reproductive and feeding patterns. However, Japan is also claiming that it should have the right to maintain its whale-eating culture.

...Japan insists the whale population has grown enough that taking 50 humpbacks will not make an impact.

In addition to offering "War on Terror" propaganda for the Japanese masses, Japan makes the implication that hunting humpbacks on a regular basis would be a sustainable venture. The Japanese Fishing Ministry is obviously looking for ways to increase revenue from Japan's fishing industry. The point that is being made is obvious: Without an increase in revenue from the fishing industry Japan has to begin scaling back operations. Like any industry based around debt economies, i.e., central banking systems that create money out of extending credit, the industry must continue to thrive and grow in order to avoid a negative impact on the economy. Again, no debt equals no money. Also, no money equals no anything for most people. What are the economic factors of the fishing industry?

Economic factors of fishing: Banking facilities, modern equipment, transportation, refrigeration, organization of the industry, the population and the supply of foodstuffs and the price of meat are the factors which play vital role in determining the growth of commercial fisheries. As commercial fishing involves large capital outlay it has become the business of joint stock companies-operating large number of vessels and employing large number of crews.
Source

What is afoot is obvious and again a sector of humanity demonstrates its ability to ignore the environment and the welfare of those we happen to share the planet with. Wherever humans go and resources of any type and any appreciable value can be found, the influence of central banking can also be found.

The issue not just about whales, folks. Indeed, it is very much about humanity. I would ring the alarm bells, except the alarms have been sounding at varying degrees of loudness for at least 313 years. Sooner or later we are going to run out of the means, i.e., the resources to create more money under the current system of debt economics. Does it now seem reasonable to some folks the ambition of some elites to reduce the world's human population to 500 million strong? It doesn't have to come to that, but then the Japanese don't have to go hunting for those whales illegally either. No respect for international laws and foreign territories. Just what are we expecting of humankind given our history?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaleGribble
i dont know if you heard about this or not its kinda old..

www.cbsnews.com...

natives used machine guns to kill this whale.

i heard the op's story on npr. they say its in the name of scince. you cant really prove that it isnt. im not saying i agree with it. but the japanise have just as much right to collect them as we have to protect them. the whales are in international water. there isnt much that joke called greenpeace can do. but burn more fosil fuel taking their prostes boat out there to waste time..

They say in the headline it was a machine gun. If you read the story, it says they confiscated a Weatherby high powered rifle. That is NOT a machine gun. I believe the headline is going for sensationalism.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

Hey, * I think your wrong* !!!!

You're so ignorant. I would surely send some war ship to intercept the whalers. If there is an international treaty that protects the whales they shouln't hunt them. 50 whales is not for scientific use. 1-2 would be maybe acceptable. What do the japanese think about them selves, that they can do whatever they want? That the laws don't apply to them? If the total population of these whales is around 30-40 thousand, you think thats enough? When was the last time you watched some animal documents about extinct animals, when was their chance to flurish stopped? When there were only a few left, which didn't gave them any chance to start a new population from scratch in the first place. Atleast 30-100 individual animals from both sexes are needed to do so.

The japanese are all crazy. Eating *sushi*, *saki*, having wending machines for used underwear, eating live sea creatures (ready the rice and chopp a live octopus - hmmm, delicious).

The hunt repeats every few years. Well and the same goes for japanese shark hunting. They only chopp of their fins and throw them back into the water, fackers. And I am not even thinking about the dolphins that get tangled up in the nets with the sharks!!!

And you are their *A Stellar Fellow* for supporting them, *cherished friend*.

Mod Edit: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/20/07 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
heheheehe the horse and expolsive grenades dealy was a laughable comparison, one having NOTHING to do with the other(another HYPE THE STORY dealio).. Mon.key and Dog are good eating, check out any street-food in the Philipenes, Mon.key on a stick is not bad at all, and Dog is kinda sweet...Dang how quickly into the race baiting iohen, Excuse me Mam, but your bigotry is showing... I'm still not clear on what they are doing with the Whales, for study or food products... if for study reason's it does seem like a large number to kill...if for food products... bring on the roasted blubber dipped in ground litchen...(minus the baby seal oil Dipping sauce BeachComa, just saw your avitar***)... As to farming, probably not possible as they need very large areas to live and breed in, and the time involved for them to reach maturity and harvest

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by planetfall

its just food, thats where it comes from, a few individuals may appear to be gleeful, maybe because they know they're getting paid and can feed their family, or its close to quittin time, or whatever... out of context its easy to put a malicious spin on it, which is the agenda here.

no one worries about the mass slaughter of innocent vegetables, do they? is it because they're not cute, with big, soulful eyes?

the japanese dont give us any crap about all the chickens and cows we eat, but at least we breed our food, they should do the same with whales and then, bon apetit! cheap affordable whale products hit the market and the wild whales are safe.

everyone happy, but for a few militant vegans out there (as if anyone cares)

Okay okay- you are adorable- but what in the hell are we supposed to sustain ourselves on? I have done the vegan thingy- and it was terrific. Then my adorable dog eats meat so the quagmire begins as he is a far more enlightened spirit than I. Surely we must find a more human way to consume.

As for whales- all nutritional value can be found in numerous other forms both synthetic and non synthetic- so we need not spear our health over the concerns of these fabulous and wondrous mammals.

All make-up and other bio elements after survival are concerned- these A$ian A$$holes have no excuse for what they are doing to i refer you back to my original post. I seriously doubt you watched the entire video via the link that I provided.

I look forward to you new thoughts Carrot Top! (Wink)!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Is it just me or are mongoloids like to eat funny stuff?

You got the chinese who eats anything endangered they can get their hands on
for 'medicinal purposes'

And you got the Japanese eating intelligent whales and dolphins.

Does this has something to do with their insecurity of having a smaller procreation equipments?

[edit on 20-11-2007 by omnicron]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Uhhh. I am mad at the Japanese and Chinese as well. But don't you think that's an ignorant statement to make?

I have went all over asia and not all of them eat funny stuff. And by nuking the whole asia doesn't that contribute much more to the destruction of the natural world, more than killing a few hundred whales?

Your statement doesn't compute. Only a two legged horsy would come up with such a ridiculous statement. Turning Japan into 'green glass' is okay, but the WHOLE OF ASIA. I'm sorry but that is beyond absurd. It's profoundly dumb.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

lets face it:
if they weren't meant to be eaten, they wouldn't be made of meat
if they weren't meant to be used for oil, they wouldn't have any

So with your myopic and ridiculous logic it's okay to eat humans too? I'm sorry but that statement is is beyond assinine.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by omnicron
Turning Japan into 'green glass' is okay, but the WHOLE OF ASIA.

No offence, but that doesn't compute either. Nuking a whole country because they choose to hunt whales? Killing a group of people because they kill a group of cetaceans?

Mind boggling hypocrisy. :shk:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   
This is somewhat unrelated, but I couldn't resist pointing at this video of an exploding whale

Also, this is not a one-line post.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad

Originally posted by vox2442
Is it OK for indigenous American populations to hunt whale?

I ask because the US government (and public, and greenpeace, and CNN and so forth) seem to have no problem with the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission taking 50 bowheads a year from an estimated population of only 8,000.

I feel that the practice of "ceremoniously" hunting the whale by the indigenous populations here is outdated. And the story about the whale being killed with the machine gun is completely appalling. I was upset when I heard about it the first time.

I see where you are going with posing that question to the thread... It would be quite hypocritical to criticize the Japanese for engaging in whale hunting while saying that it was okay for the Indians here to do it. I am opposed to such an activity, regardless of who is taking part.

I would agree that whale hunting is outdated. But the natives who hunt whales whole culture is outdated. They use harpoons, antique fishing boats, or spear them directly from the ice. The practice of whaling for these people is still very much practical. Japan, on the other hand has a rich economy, and they are obviously only whaling for the profit. The eskimos lives have depended on whaling, and in a way it could be argued that they still do. I would agree to the statement that whaling is outdated in Japan.

I live up north, and it is very rare to have whales killed by machine guns. If it wasn't, we'd hear alot more about it.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
This is extremely offensive to Australians.

Imagine if we decided to go to Japan and hunt sumo wrestlers for "science", I'm sure the Japanese wouldn't be very happy.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cthulwho
This is extremely offensive to Australians.

Imagine if we decided to go to Japan and hunt sumo wrestlers for "science", I'm sure the Japanese wouldn't be very happy.

Why is it offensive to Aussies? You`ve got a lot of sister cities and monumental plaques up here, thanks to your extensive whaling fleet.... except you just took them by the tens of thousands annually for the OIL to drive the industry to lay your continent to waste and left the carcass to feed the fish.

As for the latter asinine comment, good to see that the commercials have had an affect on you. It`s good to see propaganda at work...

For those of you not in the loop, there was a recent Aussie anti-whaling commercial that had a sumo-wrestler style Japanese man harpooned that ran on Aussie TV. Pure class, you lot. Government funded in part, If I remember correctly.

Something to keep you occupied, I guess - so`s you don`t notice that half your teens are strung on meth and three generations of blackfellas are sniffing petrol. Don`t think about that. Don`t think about the continent that you`ve bloody well destroyed with rabbits and cattle. Don`t think about the abbos that you`de decimated. Don`t think about the seppos encroaching year after year. Don`t think about the Unions being broken in the mines. Don`t think about the destruction you wreak on you own bloody continent year after year after year, with pesticides, with mismanagement of crops, with strip mining, don`t look at the land claims...LOOK AT THE BLOODY JAPS! They`re taking your WHALE! And they`re so pretty! Almost as smart as pigs!

You`ve been lied to.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join