It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan hunting protected humpback whales!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
I actually respect the Japanese for sticking true to their culture and traditions and not succumbing to this mob pressure being thrust on them by eco-fascists.
The hunt for whales and the need for whale meat is not merely a nutritional choice, but rather a cultural necessity. Besides, these whalers are way more humane than some "moby dick" hunt and it is in fact the whalers who are in more danger than the whales.

I just hope they have taken sufficient measures to ensure their safety from the Seashepard pirates when they try to ram their fleet again. If a loss of a 1000 whales is all it takes to "endanger" a species than that species is inevitably meant to become extinct. Our desire to artificially "sustain" them cannot prevent the inevitable.

Words fail me. How utterly ignorant can anyone be.......

So if we kill enough to make a species endangered then this justifies killing the rest since they'll die out anyway. Your logic is astonishing.

It's people like you who have screwed this planet up in the first place.

As for "culture" and "tradition" what utter crap and a lame excuse for being stupid. When "culture" is causing the extinction of a species you have to question the IQ level of the humans involved....single figures.

Culture + tradition justifies slavery
Culture + tradition justifies female genital multiation
Culture + tradition justifies the execution of women when the man has an affair.

We as human beings should be learning from our mistakes. Culture and tradition allows idiots to carry on being ...... well idiots!

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dk3000

All make-up and other bio elements after survival are concerned- these A$ian A$$holes have no excuse for what they are doing to i refer you back to my original post. I seriously doubt you watched the entire video via the link that I provided.

The Japanese have every right to do as they please. And No you cant force them to obey a law that they do not consider a law, just as you cant stop international whaling ships in international waters without committing an act of piracy or war. They have every right to carry out their customs and traditions as best they see fit, all the international community can do is goad them into being more conservative in their kills and that is what they are doing. If Europeans find it distasteful they are not the moral compass of the world and nobody need follow their ideology.

Whale meat is part of their culture and so is the hunt, the international community should be happy that they are being so accommodating as to restricting the numbers they hunt. Their Whaling ships come under continuous attack by eco-nazis and their fishing fleets are continuously harassed and they are patient with all this. Had this been a chinese fishing fleet, Sea Shepard and other groups like them would end up executed or serving life terms in some Chinese Gulag. Rather than appreciating their restraint, people on here like you resort to making ridiculous and racist remarks about "Asians" and "nukes". People are more important than some mindless bag of meat in the sea. The whales are a dying breed, no matter how much we wish otherwise they will not suddenly make a resurgence throught some act of god. As long as they are alive, it is important for cultures to observe their traditions as these traditions might soon not be possible, not to mention the scientific value of these missions.

If find your statements racist and pejorative to the point of hate mongering. I'm sure they find some of your practices equally repugnant and I dont see any of them asking to nuke your home. Thats speaks volumes about them and tells a lot about you as well.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
How can killing an animal be HUMANE?

You think they put them to sleep before they kill them?

Think again!

Certain whale-harpoons have explosive granades in them...

Learn More: Whaling Secrets You're Not Supposed to Know

I guess that for you is HUMANE.

I wonder how an NON-HUMANE killing would look like for you...

I compliment you on your audacity of getting the most biased and opinionated piece of info about the subject and posting it as if it were fact. I'm sure "Stopwhaling.com" can stop wailing but the fact of the matter is that the Whale is huge creature that cant be "euthanised". One cant simply catch them with mere trawlers because of their immense size, so the only logical way would be to spear them and reel them in. Thats been the practice for centuries. Today due to modern technology this procedure is much less drawn out and the matter is settled quickly without turning the entire placeinto a sea of frothing whale blood.

Now Whale hunting is much more human than the fate of many factory animals that spend their existence in cramped hovels and only see the light of day to be slaughtered. In comparison, whales live out their lives in the open sea and then when hunted die almost instantaneously, therefore suffering little compared to the horros of commercial aquaculture.

Obviously, such reasoning doesnt not sit well with the liberal agenda because to appear 'holier than thou' is more in vogue than actual nobility.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by iohen
You're so ignorant. I would surely send some war ship to intercept the whalers. If there is an international treaty that protects the whales they shouln't hunt them.

A treaty is merely an agreement, not a law. They are not signatory to any treaty, which means they dont need to abide by its diktats. They can send one whaling fleet or a hundred, that is their choice and it is also their compassion that has made them limit the number of whales hunted to a mere 1000. You should understand their respect for international considerations considering this aspect instead of going off on some rage. They are willing to curtail an important part of their culture to alleviate the concerns of the international community. Instead of greeting this decision with gratitude you assault them with words.

Their fishing boats and whaling fleets have continuously come under attack from various eco-terrorist organizations like Sea Shepard and the like. The last time their vessels were nearly rammed in an act of brazen terrorism, for which they have not retaliated in any way and have in fact helped in the rescue of one of these eco-terrorists. And people worry about the "whales" ? Who is going to worry about human beings ?

Originally posted by iohen
If the total population of these whales is around 30-40 thousand, you think thats enough? When was the last time you watched some animal documents about extinct animals, when was their chance to flurish stopped? When there were only a few left, which didn't gave them any chance to start a new population from scratch in the first place.

That is why there are scientists with the fleet as well to ensure that only a 1000 of them are killed and no more. The whale population has been on a decline as it has not been able to reproduce itself fast enough. They are succumbing to natural selection with the odds against them. The likelihood of a 1000 whales making a remarable difference is minimal. At the very least, the whales would die out on their own in the centuries to come. Despite the decades of International hue and cry over the whales, their numbers have not significantly improved, meaning that they are a dying species.

People here have so much compassion and empathy for a few whales but I dont see such a big hue and cry over the thousands of Human beings dying from floods in Bangladesh, from wars in Africa and other parts, from starvation etc. But these Whales are on the top of everyones minds. Doesnt that sound just a bit too hypocritical ?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by omnicron

All of Asian should have been turned into green glass during WW2. End transmission.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by dk3000]

Uhhh. I am mad at the Japanese and Chinese as well. But don't you think that's an ignorant statement to make?

I have went all over asia and not all of them eat funny stuff. And by nuking the whole asia doesn't that contribute much more to the destruction of the natural world, more than killing a few hundred whales?

Your statement doesn't compute. Only a two legged horsy would come up with such a ridiculous statement. Turning Japan into 'green glass' is okay, but the WHOLE OF ASIA. I'm sorry but that is beyond absurd. It's profoundly dumb.

You will not be thinking it so profoundly dumb when our country is invaded and we are put out into the streets or worse.

However, my anger and contempt for such deplorable behavior regarding animals got the best of me and my comment was very anger-based in protest to the inhumanity of the treatment of animals and people- Asians have always been among the cruelest torturous peoples the world has ever seen and most other countries have learned hideous atrocities from the original peoples of Earth.

My point was go to the point of origin and hold them accountable. I am not for war- but I may use a war-like statement to get a point across.

Your public humiliation attempt toward me an my avatar escapes my intellect. Name calling was never really my strong suit as it is pointless and serves no purpose- at least not for a thinking person.

But in loving memory of my childhood days I retort:

I'm rubber and your glue.........

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Sorry double post- must be something in the water!

[edit on 21-11-2007 by dk3000]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

All make-up and other bio elements after survival are concerned- these A$ian A$$holes have no excuse for what they are doing to i refer you back to my original post. I seriously doubt you watched the entire video via the link that I provided.

The Japanese have every right to do as they please. And No you cant force them to obey a law that they do not consider a law, just as you cant stop international whaling ships in international waters without committing an act of piracy or war. They have every right to carry out their customs and traditions as best they see fit, all the international community can do is goad them into being more conservative in their kills and that is what they are doing. If Europeans find it distasteful they are not the moral compass of the world and nobody need follow their ideology.

Whale meat is part of their culture and so is the hunt, the international community should be happy that they are being so accommodating as to restricting the numbers they hunt. Their Whaling ships come under continuous attack by eco-nazis and their fishing fleets are continuously harassed and they are patient with all this. Had this been a chinese fishing fleet, Sea Shepard and other groups like them would end up executed or serving life terms in some Chinese Gulag. Rather than appreciating their restraint, people on here like you resort to making ridiculous and racist remarks about "Asians" and "nukes". People are more important than some mindless bag of meat in the sea. The whales are a dying breed, no matter how much we wish otherwise they will not suddenly make a resurgence throught some act of god. As long as they are alive, it is important for cultures to observe their traditions as these traditions might soon not be possible, not to mention the scientific value of these missions.

If find your statements racist and pejorative to the point of hate mongering. I'm sure they find some of your practices equally repugnant and I dont see any of them asking to nuke your home. Thats speaks volumes about them and tells a lot about you as well.

When a species is nearly extinct and they have agreed to stop hunting- then back out of it- there is an enormous problem. My "hate-mongering" statements were based on what they are doing and not who they are as a people.

You are quite correct that as a society of whale-hunters they have a right to that food source- but no one has the right to exterminate an entire species. My statement of exterminating them (by turning them into green glass) was not a racist statement but rather an allegory of karma to get a point across. These Japanese ships often will hunt in international and foreign waters- which is where their rights to hunt a food source end- especially when they had previously agreed to stop and/or curb whaling.

Then to chuck their agreement as if they did not agree in the first place and troll international and foreign waters is completely reprehensible. And to compare or rationalize this behavior is odiously irresponsible and shows just what they think of life- mine- a whale, a chicken, or a tiger and/or whatever else. They have no sense of honor- they are as full of $hit as everybody else.

I certainly have no intention to judge your morally, ethically or otherwise regarding an opinion and/or feeling about a topic and would kindly appreciate the same respect in return.

Thanks.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by dk3000]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr
It's people like you who have screwed this planet up in the first place.

As for "culture" and "tradition" what utter crap and a lame excuse for being stupid. When "culture" is causing the extinction of a species you have to question the IQ level of the humans involved....single figures.
Culture + tradition justifies slavery

Your response is purely emotional and overblown. First, I have not done anything except show you that whale hunting is not the demon people make it out to be.

Culture and traditon may not be important to the Europeans who have some very bad aspects of their culture like slavery etc but the Japanese have no such reservations about their totally benign traditions. This very conservative whale hunt is being blown out of proportion by people who have little understanding about nature.

There are many other species that have been hunted far more aggressively than whales and they are in no hurry to vanish because they have survived naturally by procreation. The Whales on the other hand are a dying species and our activities have only expedited the inevitable.

Contrary to propaganda here, the whales are killed more humanely than if they were bred in some inland artifical pool and then slaughtered when they came of age. They live full lives in the sea and when encountered they die in about 2 mins (According to the Norwegian whales hunting body). I fail to see what the issue is .

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   

People are more important than some mindless bag of meat in the sea. The whales are a dying breed, no matter how much we wish otherwise they will not suddenly make a resurgence throught some act of god. As long as they are alive, it is important for cultures to observe their traditions as these traditions might soon not be possible, not to mention the scientific value of these missions.

Ah yes, the utter arrogance of man. Nature will be well rid of us when we eventually manage to extinguish ourselves. Shame we won't be around to see the beauty return to the planet.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jojoKnowsBest

Not only are whales intelligent but they are ensouled. That is, they carry souls capable of individual growth as does the human species (rather than the hive souls carried by most animal species). So , this is murder.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
I think it's abit hypocritical for people in the west to call the Japanese & Chinese for their treatment of animals, especially when we treat livestock such as sheep, cattle, pigs, chickens and turkey's etc in the same manner.

We even stick animals in zoos or Seaquariums simply for amusement purposes and call it conservation. How would you like to be stuck in cage or a small pool. It saddens me to see how some of these animals are treated and slaughtered, epsecially humpback whales, dolphins, seals and tigers. Whose to blame? One thing is certain. The eco system is very delicate and man's ignorance is certainly upsetting the balance. Stu made agood point about whales. It's damn right ignorant to hunt, kill and drive a species to extinction when you can simply farm them instead. That's if there's even a need to kill whales in the first place. The scientific excuse is truly lame. Nobodies buying it.

You ma'am, are correct. However, Asian nations in general, seem to have more inhumane treatment. Have you ever seen a video of a chinese slaughter house? I saw this one, they were slaughtering dogs, you know what they did to this poor dog? They threw it in a boiling tub of hot water while it was still alive, alls this poor dog could do is cry and try to get out, it couldnt, then they take this dog out of the tub, still alive, and start skinning it ALIVE. the poor dog just cryed the whole time. You know why they skin their animals alive? Because the adrenaline rush the animals experience "makes the meat taste better". They do the same with cats, and pretty much any animal. I could link you to the vid if you would like, its on youtube.....

Do you know how the japanese hunt dolphins (or one technique) they take these huge hooks, wait till the dolphins get close to their boat, and ram these huge hooks into the head of the dolphins. The noise these dolphin makes is absolutely horrible.

I saw this one video of an attractive asian women who had a small kitten, she petted the kitten, then she put it down on the floor, she then proceeded to stomp the the kitten with HILLS. She smashed this small, baby kitten. Again, the noise the kitten made as it was being squashed was absolutely horrible... Im not saying its just excluded to asian countrys, but it does seem much more relevant and accepted there than it does elsewhere. It seems to be a form of entertainment to these ppl. Abusing animals..

South korea has its illegal pit fights between tigers, lions, bears, etc. Where the victor has to kill its opponent in order to 'win'. It is absolutely appalling what these ppl do to their animals. This is a form of 'entertainment' to them.

The way we treat the animals in the west, is much much better when compared. We make it a quick death. We do not slowly butcher cows, or any animals in general for that matter while they are still alive. We just dont. WE have a higher respect for animals, we love them. We dont eat cats, and dogs. Hell, we dont eat have the sh#t asian ppl eat.

And as was said earlier, whales are a horrible choice for a meal. Much if not EVERYTHING in our oceans are bad for human consumption. The level of toxins in our oceans is very high. I do not eat sea food for that fact, and that fact alone. It is just not healthy for you. WE humans really need to take a step back, and see just what we have done to our planet. We have had the worse impact imaginable on this planet. We tear it up just to make a fortune.

We continuesly ignore the warning signs just to make a small fortune. times running out, we keep this sh#t up, we wont have anything left, and it will have been our own fault.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by West Coast]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jojoKnowsBest

Japan hunting protected humpback whales!!!

www.jpost.com

Japan's excursion to the arctic that left on Sunday for a whale hunt has raised an international outcry, specifically by Greenpeace. The hunt will include the humpback, despite international laws protecting the animals

"What they are doing is against international law," says Theodora Karchovsky, spokesperson for Greenpeace Israel. "We must do everything we can to stop them."

The whalers plan to kill up to 50 humpbacks. If they follow through, it will be the first large-scale hunt of humpbacks since they were put under international protection in 1963 under a moratorium in the Southern Pacific.

The American Cetacean Society estimates the humpback population has recovered to an estimated 30,000 to 40,000
(visit the link for the full news article)

Ummmm. I could be wrong about this but i think i heard it somewhere that it's estimated that there's only a few thousand Humpbacks left worldwide.

These Morons wan't to kill 50 of them "for Scientific reasons"...lolol

Don't they know that they could be sending the species over the wall, or don't they give a rats arse...

Seriousely, the US shoulda just kept Nuking thos guys while the nuking was good during WWII...!!

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Ironclad]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
what a pity it would be if their ships were to mysteriously sink.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
Don't they know that they could be sending the species over the wall, or don't they give a rats arse...

Seriousely, the US shoulda just kept Nuking thos guys while the nuking was good during WWII...!!

If 50 dead whales means that a species numbering over 20,000 is going to face a grave loss then they are already way past the wall. The death of 50 whales may help preserving 50,000 more. Besides, nobody can really stop them from doing this because there is no "law" that prevents them from doing so.

Your other statement is absolutely astonishing and a disgrace to us all. I'd rather loosing all forms of whales forever than letting even one human being face a nuclear weapon ever again. The whales are a doomed species and for this doomed species you are wishing death and suffering on millions of human beings. Thats just disgusting . As a human being( I presume here) you would rather wish death upon your own kind than an inferior species on the decline ?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by West Coast

You know, that sort of thing happens in the west, too. In fact it's not just animal abuse that happens, there's people abuse too. And then there's psychological abuse that starts in school. So why single out Asians?

Abuse is abuse, and people do it. Period. Singling out another group -- what purpose does it achieve? Does it make you feel better? More superior?

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

As a human being( I presume here) you would rather wish death upon your own kind than an inferior species on the decline ?

You know, I rarely agree with you, but I'm with you on that statement 100%. It's absolutely disgusting some of the attitudes displayed here :shk:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad

If 50 dead whales means that a species numbering over 20,000 is going to face a grave loss then they are already way past the wall. The death of 50 whales may help preserving 50,000 more. Besides, nobody can really stop them from doing this because there is no "law" that prevents them from doing so.

Your other statement is absolutely astonishing and a disgrace to us all. I'd rather loosing all forms of whales forever than letting even one human being face a nuclear weapon ever again. The whales are a doomed species and for this doomed species you are wishing death and suffering on millions of human beings. Thats just disgusting . As a human being( I presume here) you would rather wish death upon your own kind than an inferior species on the decline ?

We are tumbling down a path of our own destruction. And it will be self inflicted. We're superior? Then why are we destroying ourselves? I dont see animals destroying themselves, or there ecosystem etc. No sir, if humans were to fall off the face of the earth, life would go about as business as usual, and in many cases, actually improve with our absence. I disagree with the person you originally responded to. We should have never created those weapons to begin with. there intent is to kill and to kill in mass.
We are superior to other animals only because we are deceiving smart beings. If our ecosystem changes in a devastating manner, our superiority goes out the window and we lose. For example, we depend on honey bees to pollinate/cross pollinate, with out them our way of life is changed. Without getting to technical about it, our food supply, which is our very essence of existence changes abruptly, which could have devestating effects.. So what we deem as 'inferior' really isnt, if you look at the bigger picture.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Your attempts to impose your morality on other cultures is amusing to say the least. I'm sure they can apply their moralities and find our culture to be equally repugnant and farcical for its blatant hypocrisies. But apparently, there is this naive perception that the Western world somehow has the "morality" to judge the rest of the world as to what is fair in their own house. That is the attitude of the narrow minded. As long as they are not dumping their garbage on my lawn I wouldnt be too bothered as to what they are eating or cooking. What you consider "in-humane" might be quite de rigueur. The attitude of condescension is what needs to be scorned at, not what other cultures eat or slaughter for their food.
I've seen videos of poultry farms where chickens are smashed against the wall and killed before cutting them open. All kinds of brutalities done on animals. The whole "factory farming" with mechanised slaughter houses might also seem barbaric and revolting. To claim some greater moral pedestal to judge others is a fallacy that we as a culture would do well to avoid.

The western world doesnt own this world and the asians dont have to give a seconds thought to what we think. This world is theirs too and they have as muich right to destroy/protect is as we have.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

You know, that sort of thing happens in the west, too. In fact it's not just animal abuse that happens, there's people abuse too. And then there's psychological abuse that starts in school. So why single out Asians?

Abuse is abuse, and people do it. Period. Singling out another group -- what purpose does it achieve? Does it make you feel better? More superior?

No, because you took what i said out of context. It is very hard to get a point acrossed on the internet without being verbal. Things often get taken out of context. Your exagerating what I said.

It seems much more relevant, and accepted in asian nations. Its very much so relevant in third world nations....The abuse of animals.. To get back to a point/ "You know, that sort of thing happens in the west, too." Please clarify...Im not saying it doesnt happen, just that it is widly unpopular as well as frowned upon. We have in place, certain criteria that slaughter houses should meet. You are to kill said slaughter animals, humanely, quickly, and as painlessly as possible.

Anymore superior? Maybe morally. I happen to think everything has a purpose here. That in itself, is a whole other discussion..

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
In discussions like these it becomes painfully obvious to me that we dont even know how intelligent or non-intelligent whales are.

Would their level of intelligence make any difference in if you eat them or not? It would to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join