It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan hunting protected humpback whales!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
reply to post by stumason

That doesn't make sense. Are those apes eaten by anyone else in the world? Monkeys don't count.

Yes, they are. People in Africa eat them all the time!!

Part of the problem why they are endangered. They are also killed for trophies and such, but people eat the rest.

It's actually postulated that AIDS came from Chimpanzees, who were subsequently eaten by Africans, which enabled the spread of AIDS.

I can dig up some links if you don't believe me.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I don't think eating whales was the main reason for their depletion... it was the rendering of the blubber for oil.

The practise stopped only because petroleum became the primary source for lighting city streets and homes after dark.

[imo]The fact that whales are still hunted for food is fine with me, as long as the species numbers keep increasing. If it stalls, then I'm for a moratorium on it, regardless of who is hunting them. [/imo]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
They don't look too tasty to me. There are other species of monkey that I would prefer to try over apes. But yes, if I had to (if it were legal and I was in a country where it was custom, or I was starving to death), I would assist in killing, gutting, and eating a nice big silverback. The only animal that I would exhibit any kind of hesitation or remorse over eating would be another human being, and if I was going to starve to death I would probably do it despite being disgusted at the same time. I've heard people taste absolutely disgusting anyway.

Fair enough, at leasbt your consistent.

I, however, make the distinction between rather dumb, farmed animals and very intelligent, wild animals.

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Obviously I would prefer a nice boneless, skinless chicken breast or better yet a chicken-flavoured tofu patty. But I can appreciate and respect that other people may want or NEED to eat other things.

Here is the key difference. Wanting to eat something and needing to eat are two ENTIRELY different things.

Given the choice, I'd stay clear of any of the intelligent beasties.

However, if I was starving to death, I'd eat you, let alone a whale or chimp.

Big difference.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Ah, I see. You learn something new everyday.

At any rate if it's for food, I don't really see much of a problem with it. If it's for some other frivolous reasons such as sport or for more obscure reasons like aphrodisiacs, I'd be against it.

Personally on the whole whale issue, I'm kind of on the fence, although I'm leaning towards the Japanese whalers. So far the arguments I've seen presented by the other side are mostly centred around feelings and emotions, instead of something more tangible. The ones arguing for the whalers have so far brought up solid facts, at the very least.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Hey Vox ..

Australia has extensive waters surrounding antartica.. the japenese use the snatch and grab technique to take whales from our waters and as our goverment is as sooky as a wet puppet we have to look on as the whales migrate through our waters .. knowing that many will end up slaughtered in southern Australian waters.. the Japanese do not recognise our right to Antartic waters when it comes to taking whales although our patrol boats chase poachers of the patagonian toothfish.. it just doesnt make sense..then again thats politics hey.. its whose taking them not whats being taken..

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
Besides, these whalers are way more humane than some "moby dick" hunt and it is in fact the whalers who are in more danger than the whales.

Did you say HUMANE?

Now how did that word slip in your sentance?

How can killing an animal be HUMANE?

You think they put them to sleep before they kill them?

Think again!

Certain whale-harpoons have explosive granades in them...

Learn More: Whaling Secrets You're Not Supposed to Know

“If we can imagine a horse having two or three explosive spears stuck in its stomach and being made to pull a butcher's truck through the streets of London while its blood pours into the gutter, we shall have an idea of the method of killing whales. The gunners themselves admit that if whales could scream, the industry would stop for nobody would be able to stand it.”

Harpoons using the same explosive grenade heads employed fifty years ago are being used right now by Japanese whalers to slaughter whales illegally.

Often, the first blast isn’t enough to kill the poor whale. Japanese whaling ships were recently filmed hoisting live whales up the side of their huge industrial ships by the tail, leaving the whale’s blow hole underwater. The helpless whale can only thrash against the side of the ship, desperate for air, until it slowly drowns.

I guess that for you is HUMANE.

I wonder how an NON-HUMANE killing would look like for you...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The Japanese method of using animals for food has changed greatly over the years it went through a massive change through the ww2 era when everything was fair game and yes when technology was easy to manipulate the slaughtered like even the most blood thirsty fool would have his fill.. even today the kill ratio for dolphins and marine creatures on the endangered list have no meaning for the majority of japanese fishermen.. this takes it to barbaric proportions .. ive studied japanese culture and have many japanese friends.. many are appalled as they have no knowledge of what is happening in their own country and no its not culture as in japanese culture balance is everything.. conservation of the species is the survival of all.. How can they ban a certain type of move of kendo yet allow this kind of barbarity is beyond me..barbarity is a trait that is learned from generation to the next.. when poeple say enough is enough it stops.. and the mindset changes

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Killing whales, no matter what species is wrong and should be forbidden for any country, tribe and reason. THIS IS 2007!!!

Japan is a very developt country with a fantastic culture. It would show great wisdom and power if the Japanese government would stop the hunt for whales forever and be the example for the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Sad news... thanks for sharing...

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
[imo]The fact that whales are still hunted for food is fine with me, as long as the species numbers keep increasing. If it stalls, then I'm for a moratorium on it, regardless of who is hunting them. [/imo]

That's the whole thing about it! This logic makes sense.

I don't see Greenpeace committing terrorism on cattle farms? I mean how do they pick and choose what to protect? Via beauty?

The HB is off the endangered list and although I don't like to see animals (mammals) killed there are allot of factors to consider. For most species hunted on the planet the hunters/sportsman are the biggest conservationists there are for both keeping species healthy and up in population to maintaining the environments they live in. What does PETA do other than harass and commit crimes?

I'm not going to put Greenpeace in the same proverbial boat as PETA but they shouldn't be so arrogant as to expect a cultural event that been happening for generations to just stop. Especially when the animals in question are no longer on the list. Look at it a different way, what if HB's or any other whale were never hunted again? How long before there wouldn't be enough ocean to go around? Enough feed? Etc...

The Japanese have waited for the population to recover, I say let them live their culture as long as they are within the laws that govern such activities.

Hey, maybe we could think about all those children that are starving each and every day? I think this outrage could be funneled somewhere else.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

How can killing an animal be HUMANE?

hu·mane [hyoo máyn]
adj
1. compassionate: showing the better aspects of the human character, especially kindness and compassion
2. involving minimal pain: without inflicting any more pain than is necessary
3. with an emphasis on liberal values: with an emphasis on respect for other people’s views

i for one can think of several humane reasons and ways to kill animals.

lets say you hit a dog with your car. a bullet in the brain would greatly reduce the pain that animal was feeling.

or lets say there was a overpopulation of a certian animal and they were spreading illnesses and starving it would be humane to kill a few off for the better good of that animal.

lets take myself(because i cant speak for all hunters) i always take a head or a heart shot because i cant stand to see an animal suffer. and i carry a verry large side arm to finsh putting an animal down if it is needed.

[edit on 15amu92007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
Besides, these whalers are way more humane than some "moby dick" hunt and it is in fact the whalers who are in more danger than the whales.

While not a Japanese whale hunt, this is a Japanese dolphin hunt. Sorry, there are a few minutes of talking in the begining, I couldn't find the original videos I saw. youtube.com...

Not the most humane thing I've ever seen.

Now, I'm well aware of what we do the cattle, and sheep, and pigs, and chickens for our food. We're not the most friendly people.

I have no problem with the Japanese. I love their culture, have Japanese associates. The Japanese are no worse in cruelty than any other group of humanity on earth. They are not kind to these dolphins, I doubt they are kind to the whales. They are hardly knocking them out with tranq darts before they cut them up, I assure you.

Sorry, I reread what I typed, and it sounded a bit off.

[edit on 20-11-2007 by TheGreySwordsman]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Id put a uneducated response to this uneducated posting but it would belittle the fact i actually checked when Humpback whales where placed on the worlds endangered list and their life spans.. please do me a favour .. Have a view and a considered and considerate one but please the next time you think about saying something stupid consider not everyone has a third grade maths rating at age 47.. sheesh.. really

link   

Id put a uneducated response to this uneducated posting but it would belittle the fact i actually checked when Humpback whales where placed on the worlds endangered list and their life spans.. please do me a favour .. Have a view and a considered and considerate one but please the next time you think about saying something stupid consider not everyone has a third grade maths rating at age 47.. sheesh.. really

link   

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienADHD

First, I'm not an external source.

Second, I was able to understand your post the first time it appeared.

Third, I believe the estimated population is in excess of 60,000 although those that are against harvesting them will tell you that there are only 20,000. I don't see where this years harvest is going to have any impact on a growing population.

As for you, instead of insulting me, why don't you defend your position? By the way, I'm 45 and I did make it past the third grade. Although I could find several insults to throw back at you I will refrain from lowering myself to such a level. However, I make no guarantees....

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:13 PM
link   
And humans consider themselves "civilized". Reading this makes my cold pirate heart sad. Makes me wanna go out and plunder some whale hunter's ships. See how much they like a grenade-tipped harpoon to the belly!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGreySwordsman

Funny where he was holding the piece of dolphin meat in the supermarket and said it was tainted with mercury, he didn't say what the mercury levels actually were on that printout. ALL seafood contains mercury to some degree. Generally, the larger the fish, the more mercury it contains. Salmon is fairly low but things like tuna, swordfish, and marlin are very high in mercury (yet it is still safe to eat and sold at supermarkets all over North America.) Unless you are eating it more than 3 times a week, you're fine.

[edit on 11/20/2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I think that it’s very important for all the nations of the world to take a very hard look at now just whale populations but fish populations in all the oceans of the world and try to come up with a management plan that will allow for collapsed fisheries populations to recover as well as defining sustainable capture rates for various populations of fish and/or whales.

No one nation should be allowed to stray from those limits. The penalty for straying from the limits should be that the offending nation’s limit for the following year should be zero.

We need to allow our fisheries to recover even if in the short term, it harms the local economies that are based on fishing. Otherwise there won’t be anything left to catch.

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Who are the international police who are going to enforce this new plan? And giving countries harsher restrictions for disobeying the original limits will do nothing, they will just continue to fish and defy the rules. You would basically have to get a whole bunch of countries to put sanctions on them, or something that would actually make them want to stop.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join