It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft used to recruit terrorists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
What does their conversation go like?

Terrorist 1: Ok, guys, to practice our terrorist plan, we must kill Onyxia. Ahmed, did you add the +35 healing spells enchantment to your mace?

Ahmed: No, it was too expensive.

Terrorist 1: Damn you Ahmed. How are we supposed to conquer the world when you can't even get +35 healing spells on your mace?

Damn DJMessiah, that's just f*cking hilarious

I'd also like to add my 5 cents by saying that training terrorism in Wow is just absurd. I've never seen a group of 30 dwarf hunters yelling a mix of hebrew and dwarfish to each other and training guerilla tactics against some boars in Loch Modan... There are some good warsim games out there, wich I don't like to play. I'm thinking of Rainbow Six and stuff like that. Or better: America's Army, thank you very much!

Staafke

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
hmm... if the terrorist use MSN or potmail, then the terrorist awareness office aka. information awareness office which has a logo of the masonic all seeing eye watching over the world... *sivers* would know since they can hack into any form of electronic communication device. but meh... funding for TAO had stopped in 2006

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I've served in the Armed Forces and Battlefield 2, is very realistic that cannot be denied, but BF2 can only teach you one thing about warfare.....

You die really easy in a battle, no matter how good you are

In Battlefield 2 you could practice section attacks, against a defended position, but nothing else really, most terrorist don't have the logistics or back-up to call in Armour, Artillery or Air Support, and it definately couldn't teach you to shoot better, as anyone who's ever fired a real rifle will tell you.

So I believe that Battlefield 2 CANNOT be used as a training aide anymore than Grand Theft Auto will teach you how to Carjack, but for recruitment possibly yes, simply because it's online and has a social aspect, like any chatroom or MMO..

Peace..........

posted on Aug, 7 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
So the terrorists are going to have thick glasses, acne and will be afraid to talk to girls now?

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
They don't already?? *snickers*

Anyway, back to the topic...

The point here should be that the entire concept of recruiting for terrorists on a MMO like WoW is quite ridiculous. None of it makes any sense, which isn't too amazing for someone like The Enquirer, nor too out of the ordinary. Whichever poster pointed that out deserves a
. Thanks for pointing that out.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Zerging For Allah

In other news, prosecutors have named Leeroy Jenkins in a sealed indictment charging 63 counts of getting his party wiped in Blackrock and unspecified charges of illicit rep grinding.

When I first saw the title of this thread, my first thought was "here we go with some more e-FUD". And indeed, the Inquirer story makes light of the concept.

However, the original source article in The Australian is actually quite thought-provoking.

Am I worried about armies of blood elves taking out Manhattan?

Well no, not really. I mean they would have a hell of a time getting past the Elite Squeegee Brigade, for starters, not to mention the traffic.

But is cyberterrorism and crossover terrorism worthy of concern?

Yes. I don't think it's something to panic about, but I do think it's worth keeping an eye on.

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Hah, this is a hilarious theory, imho.

I'm guessing this group of terrorists in the following link didn't make the cut..
WoW Raid Gone Wrong..

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by synappz
I'm guessing this group of terrorists in the following link didn't make the cut..
WoW Raid Gone Wrong..

May God Bless you with lots of free epics for that reference!! I found that to be one of the funniest WoW videos that I've seen this month.

Just goes to show ya that ya never know what to expect when ya face a really hard boss. Almost makes me want to go raiding right now.

And no, I don't think they made the cut. Or at least the leader didn't. He needs some decaf I think.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 8 2007 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Muadib, second life is not a pure open source game. They just open sourced the interface files like WoW. They call it the "Viewer" or some such. They just banned gambling so it looks like they want to become more open so the world can be developed more rapidly. It's not really a game either, it's a simulated world.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
double post sorry

[edit on 6-4-2008 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg
They don't already?? *snickers*

Anyway, back to the topic...

The point here should be that the entire concept of recruiting for terrorists on a MMO like WoW is quite ridiculous. None of it makes any sense, which isn't too amazing for someone like The Enquirer, nor too out of the ordinary. Whichever poster pointed that out deserves a
. Thanks for pointing that out.

TheBorg

There are some Real life applications for MMORPG's, training in small unit tactics is one, but I do not feel that recruiting would work as you have no way of knowing who you are talking to.
Here are some links:

Todd Bryant
Language Prgrm Admin Acad Tech
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (717) 254-8941
Office: Bosler Hall

Language Program Administrator Dickinson College a nationally recognized and highly selective liberal arts college located in Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

www.language-exchanges.org...

Using World of Warcraft and Other MMORPGs to Foster a Targeted, Social, and Cooperative Approach Toward Language Learning

www.academiccommons.org...

Virtual environments are safe platforms for trial and error. The chance of failure is high, but the cost is low and the lessons learned are immediate.

www.wired.com...

Some 60 schools and universities have set up shop inside Second Life
www.usatoday.com...
Posted 10/5/2006
By Gregory M. Lamb, The Christian Science Monitor

Learning Conversations in World of Warcraft
Bonnie A. Nardi, Stella Ly, and Justin Harris
University of California, Irvine

edit to remove non working link

[edit on 6-4-2008 by RedmoonMWC]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
As for second life. I know there are some people who have literally taken control of SIMs in SL, and not even the Lindens can ban them or do anything against them. It was a really bad idea that the Lindens allowed open sourcing in SL. BTW, the Linden dollar is depreciating, i think the change now goes for around 267.5 L$ (Linden Dollars)= $1 USD.

You can actually find out how much money (real life money) was spent in the last 24 hour in Second Life in the following link.

US Dollars spent in Second Life over last 24 hours
$1,268,533 as of 7:59am PDT

secondlife.reuters.com...

[edit on 1-8-2007 by Muaddib]

Do you realise that the money in this ONLINE VIRTUAL GAME is worth more then MANY currencies around the planet?

That is just insane.
WTF!

I mean Linden Dollar vs US Dollar 269.5 L$/USD, how... thats worth more then Venezulan Bolivers which is 2,150 /$.

SO in short, the virtual money is alsmost 10 times more valuable then REAL money in other countries...

WHAT A WORLD!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
BS...WOW is NOT used to recruit terrorists. They just want to be able to monitor any network they wish under the guise of "National Security". Just more Bush gestapo crap.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
If "Terrorists" recruit people from WoW, then the US Military also recruits people from WoW, for the same reasons.

BTW is there a WoW members thread on ATS? Like for people that play
I play off and on myself. Locks ftw!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It's possible.

But then, it's also possible the CIA knows exactly what the terrorists are doing, and are even supplying them with the tools to do it.

Which is more likely to happen, i wonder?

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join