It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft used to recruit terrorists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I was clan leader and founder of the clan Vagabonds, it was a clan formed in a online game called Fall of Empires, basically the clan name said it all, if you was a lone player or just tired of your own clan then we was a halfway house for players to come to and play the game the way they wanted.

Sorry for the digress, anyhoo we had a player named Mohammad who joined, his actual location was Middle East and he told me he hated Israel with a passion.

Within the game itself he just wanted to fight and start a war with any other clan going regardless of what our current state of affairs was with other clans, whether allies or not, I use to converse with him a lot and it transpired he was just a teenager who has only been told, seen, lived what his parents, grandparents have gone through prior and so had no other knowledge of the outside world apart from what was told within the family household, school or news channel.

So for people to be recruited via a online game and to get them to do things in real life, for me is a very feasible and very easy thing to do, for those who wish to do it.

Wolfie

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Phantomi can see how running a five man instance would be very similar to breaching the US security infrastructure

i mean think about it.. lets say you wanted to raid the pentagon..

I think that the Pentagon would at least be a 25 man raid. I don't think it could be done with a 5 man

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:29 PM
link   
i was thinking area 51 and the white house would be the 25 manners but yea i could see the pentagon as a 25 manner too

imagine the gear that drops there!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This made me laugh.

Let us take World of Warcraft:

This is a "Pay to Play" game, either you pay nearly £10 a month or you can get a three day trial pass for roughly £2/3. (Great British Pounds.)

If your account is reported by more than two people (using the ingame function) it is blocked from speaking to people. That's anyone and everyone aside from a GM.

The game itself, doesn't seem to be able to accept Arabic characters. I just tested and most of them came up as a square (similar to this: []) on the end of the person I sent it too.

The average age range of the game is in the Mid 20's, from the sources I've seen. There are of course older people (I know someone at 43 who plays) and I have heard of a 6 year old also playing. But on average it is late teends to mid 20's, College and University students who have yet to finish education, etcetera.

Now how many people do you think seriously would be a terrorist? Say it's 1 in 1000 (which I doubt it's anywhere near that, more like 1 in 100,000). Each server roughly holds 5000 people on World of Warcraft so they need to hit those 5, without two people reporting them. If they are reported they need to try again.

Say they send 10 messages, before they get banned that's 100 accounts. At £2/3 that's roughly £200 to £300 per server. At 50 servers that's £10,000 for 250 terrorists. Do you honestly think that is the best way to get new terrorists?

I seriously doubt it is.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DazedDave
"Yes Ahmed! Argh! Now look! You were defeated by a horde of stampeding orcs! We can't afford these kinds of screw ups!"

lol. Poor Ahmed.

Terrorist 1: "Ahmed, we need you to charge into Under City to kite Thrall to us outside."

Ahmed: But uh...aren't there like horde players inside? Couldn't I at least level to 2, before running in?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:36 PM
link   
We must not let them get the sword of a thousand truths...

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

The game itself, doesn't seem to be able to accept Arabic characters.

well I don't have an opinion other then don't you think they could speak English?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
We must not let them get the sword of a thousand truths...

hardy har

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

The game itself, doesn't seem to be able to accept Arabic characters.

well I don't have an opinion other then don't you think they could speak English?

Which surely would make it easy to find out who they were? What they were saying, etcetera would be flagged up almost instantly.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Which surely would make it easy to find out who they were? What they were saying, etcetera would be flagged up almost instantly.

This interest me because my son plays this and has made quite a few Islamic friends that play, he says they are the nicest ones on line.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I cant speak of Second Life as I've never played it but I've been a WoW player since late 2005. This story is bogus. How can you recruit terrorists in any way in WoW that you can't do in any other medium? I'm not saying that its impossible to recruit terrorists on WoW servers, but its like saying "The telephone network is being used to recruit terrorists" or "The English language is being used to recruit terrorists". Technically its true but so what? What are you going to do about it?

WoW is played by something close to 9 million people across the globe currently. People play to escape into a fantasy world where the crap of the real world does not apply and to have fun. I think as far as games are concerned that WoW would have a low potential for attracting militants. You'd be better off looking at FPS games like Counter-Strike for higher than normal propensities for attracting militants and recruiting terrorists. Even with that said, what are you going to do about it? You wont achieve anything by banning the games, people will just move to something else, then something else. And you'd also be ruining something for 99.99999999% of the people who are not militants.

Its a simple headline designed to attract the attention of the millions of people who know WoW players. They see the name and gasp "My (instert name here) plays that game!" and they buy the paper to read what danger they are in.

YAWN

[edit on 1/8/07 by subz]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Actually my roommate (see also: guildmaster) actually did see some funky goings on that might have been related to recruitment, but he said they were relatively chill and not all crazy-like but just the same I imagine they got reported to GMs and probably banned just for good measure. I knew there was a reason I despised Horde so much, now I have an even better reason to!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by radioactive_liquid
i never played any of those games but im wondering what age groups play them. i know WOW has millions of players, so i would imagine most of them being pretty young. for some reason im imagining that south park episode when they ganged up on the guy who was killing everyone in wow lol.

Argh.

Okay... let me speak as an authority here -- I've written a couple of book chapters in scholarly books about MMORPGs and MUDs and MUCKs (etc) and have done some original published research on them. I'm familiar with the works of Nick Yee and his Daedalus project.

Daedalus is the largest, most comprehensive database of research on MMORPGs:
www.nickyee.com...

The stats may surprise you. For instance, about 1/3 of the women playing the game describe themselves as "homemaker"
www.nickyee.com...

50% are full-time employed:
www.nickyee.com...

Aver age male age is about 25, average female age is near 30. There are players older than 75:
www.nickyee.com...

As to the original article.... it's beyond stupid.

I don't know about Second Life, but the speculation seems absurd. The moderators and ghods have full control of the game and can boot you for harrassment (and do). I am a moderator on one of the still-existing MUDs, and believe me, my godlike powers are more than a match for any jihadists. Furthermore, my godlike powers allow me to track down their servers and track them to their home locations.

We had to do this once with a pedophile predator. I worked with the police on this one.

And I've seen WOW kick folks off for harrassment.

I hate that this is going to be used to promote antiMMORPG sentiment. Millions (up to 20 million) of people play these games and enjoy them and don't go into psychotic fugues or start running around and starting private wars.

Ridiculous!

(sorry for the rant, but this is one thing that Yee and others like him (and I) work hard to address -- playing computer games doesn't make you a weird whacko.)

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnjinI think that the Pentagon would at least be a 25 man raid. I don't think it could be done with a 5 man

Hee! 40 man raid! And they'd better drop some orange stuff, too!!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
thanks for the links byrd, a couple of us earlier touched on how this article could be trying to drum up more support for government control of the net and with internet2.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I don't know about Second Life, but the speculation seems absurd. The moderators and ghods have full control of the game and can boot you for harrassment (and do). I am a moderator on one of the still-existing MUDs, and believe me, my godlike powers are more than a match for any jihadists. Furthermore, my godlike powers allow me to track down their servers and track them to their home locations.

Yeah seriously Second Life you can't get away with anything the mods will hunt you down and there are people who will report at the drop of a hat, had a few close calls myself.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Oh noes, they're onto us. I guess I better start farming Limbaugh more often before the nerfbat comes down on our heads, I need those Epic Painkillers but they just won't drop!

[edit on 1-8-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
imagine if like there was a terrorist group on wow and the people would bomb the cities and stuff. that would be so awesome!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
imagine if like there was a terrorist group on wow and the people would bomb the cities and stuff. that would be so awesome!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I was thinking about this today after posting earlier. The possible use of these games for training, War style first shooters might be possible. Having been in the military I have found that people I run into while online who have a military background tend to be better using group teamwork or tactics. Its also a method that could be used as dry runs prior to actual (Real World) teamwork. Obviously the TOONS* in the video game arent going to respond as realistically. The representation of how easily weapons are used may not be realistic either but offer a familiar idea of how they work. That being said you can train people to run into situations (IN GAME) with less stress; killing with less feeling behind the action. If you want to train a Tanker to fire using a screen, instead of (Real Life) viewing, it could serve the purpose initially. Some of these games create realistic toon models and you could train people to identify enemy vehicles and some aspects of them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join