It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft used to recruit terrorists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
World of Warcraft people are so dorky, and probobly wan't to get back at those bullies that kicked their asses throughout highschool.....and since I have noticed the ones that play it around here also like cutting themselves and thinking they worship satan and can do magic....I could see why someone might look at them as possible terrorists.
But really? Forgive me for not speaking the proper lingo here.....but would their level 10 magic really cause much to worry about for the country?
I am sure that they were simply recruited into some wow clan that called themselves al'qaeda and consider themselves level 12 martyrs in whatever land their charactors strolled into. Uh oh...they will double mouse click us all into hell!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by radioactive_liquid

i never played any of those games but im wondering what age groups play them. i know WOW has millions of players, so i would imagine most of them being pretty young. for some reason im imagining that south park episode when they ganged up on the guy who was killing everyone in wow lol.

theinquirer.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

Alright, I play WoW as well, and I'm 25. I hope that helps to add to the demographic some.

The point here is that the claims that a terrorist organization is somehow recruiting from within the WoW universe are just preposterous. I've seen nothing on any of the servers which I frequent to lead me to believe that there is anything like this going on.

If anything like this did go on, it's most likely a localized "instance", (pun intended
), and I'm sure that those inciting such actions were immediately removed from the game universe, once Blizzard was informed.

This just reeks of another attempt for someone to come in and monitor people as they interact with one another.

TheBorg

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by radioactive_liquid

Originally posted by johnsky
The way they see it, get them while they are young and impressionable. These terror networks intend on being around for a long time...

and it's not an internet pipe... they're a series of tubes.

thats what i was thinking too, wow from what i read and seen screenshots of looks more geared towards younger crowds. i can see the older & more mature crowds playing the more realistic games just ignore and ban users like that from they're servers...or have fun with them and jus keep fragging them, or the old counter strike thing...kill them and then spray paint them lol.

You'd be surprised at how the mix of age groups in WoW is. Many 18 + play this game hardcore and some guild only allow certain age groups in. The players are normally 16-30 (around mid there) and there is a small amount of younger and older players. In a game like WoW where there are many servers and such a diverse community it would be hard to recruit people from different countries/states and convince someone to be a terrorist and leave their lives. Imo its a load of crap. There are over 100 servers and there are up to 10s of thousands of people per server. The users are to far spread out to have any solid recruitment. People dont really like to give out personal information in online games to strangers. Im calling bs on this

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by saintnuke
World of Warcraft people are so dorky, and probobly wan't to get back at those bullies that kicked their asses throughout highschool.....

You got a lot to learn buddy. If you saw me and my friends in some random internet cafe playing WoW you would not be saying that LOL! You'll be looking to get the f out cuz wez scary lookin. Life has shat on many of my friends and they use games like WoW as a form of escapism. I play it only to keep in touch with those shady ass net cafe denizens(sometimes literally) as some of them are pretty cool despite being homeless and #.

Lesson of the day? People of all walks of life play Massively Multi-player Games. Me? I'm the typical White Middle class college student in my late 20s(i went late)

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Real men play Quakeworld Team Fortress!
I for one like to shout "FOR ALLAH!" as I hold a grenade and blow myself and the people around me up. Sure beats casting level 14 magic to kill someone.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
So there are terrorists playing wow? So thats where bin laden is, they can't get him to come out of the cave, because he's a wow addict. I used to play wow but it got boring for me after a month. Ive tried to get into it several times but every time i get bored and quit again. Second life i can see this happening in possibly, because in second life you c an do anything because you can program new actions, but i still highly doubt this is something that happens often.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Amazing. Anything to discredit and tarnish games these days. "You can't do this!" "You can't do that!" "That leads to this, YES!"

It's all bunk. Seriously. Now they're going to start claiming games are a source for recruitment. Why World of Warcraft, of all games? It has a lot of players, yes, but there's absolutely no way to train any of your "soldiers" on it. I think it's far more LIKELY that they would be using Counter-Strike 1.6/Source or Battlefield 2 for things like that. AND NOT EVEN! I bet some parent who has a kid saw that there was a spammer going "FOR ALLAH, DEATH TO AMERICA, BLAH BLAH BLAH" and got worried over nothing.

Do you have any idea how many times I've put C4 on any technical in Battlefield 2? I'm not training to be a terrorist but it's very effective in the game. You drive in, blow yourself up, take out a few people with yourself. A lot of people do go for LOL! and yell crap into their mics: "ALLAAAAAAAAH!" and random jib that they try to sound like a form of Arabic.

And like it has been said before. I've personally been gaming for a very long time and I have always viewed it as a form of escapism. To do things I would never be able or want to do in real life. It's the best way to relieve yourself. Instead of punching a wall? I'll go online and cap some folks. To this day, I have never thought about doing that in real life. This was actually the first time and it wasn't even initiated because of gaming!

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Donoso]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   

World of Warcraft people are so dorky, and probobly wan't to get back at those bullies that kicked their asses throughout highschool.....and since I have noticed the ones that play it around here also like cutting themselves and thinking they worship satan and can do magic....I could see why someone might look at them as possible terrorists.

Get real... I love that game along with many others. Ive been an online gamer ever since I dialed up and saw my bud running across the screen in Doom( i laughed my azz off when i saw him) . I was hooked. BTW, I hold 3 separate degrees in various arts one being Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I trained with Rickson Gracie out of his home in Malibu California and another degree in Hsing-I Chaun taught to me by Vince Black. So that statement of yours is ignorant at best. So any online gamer is a wuss in your eyes huh. So what do you call a bunch of guys and gals who frequent a conspiracy website and talk about moon bases, NWO and aliens? Deranged Sissy freaks who don't have a life or a grip on reality?

Sorry stupid dumb ass statements like that jsut piss me off..

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Well, this thread has made me chuckle

I play WOW over here in England land and I'm 37 (throw that into the assumed demographic) been playing it since release and have subsequently been a part of - and ended up running - a guild of nearly 200 players.

I don't think - and of course I'm here to be proven wrong - that taking 40 people into MC to down Ragnaros, or 25 into Gruul's lair is going to be effective training for anything other than killing a 70ft tall Flame Lord and a 50ft Dragon killing Gronn, after all, real life terrorism involves the use of guns and bombs. You don't get many mages, warlocks, rogues, pallys, priests, shape shifting druids and medieval warriors in real life.

As for recruitment, imagine the guild chat.....

Player 1 : hey, lets do a heroic
Player 2 : I'd rather do some PVP
Player 3 : Hey look I got [Envious Schlong of the Whale] in a drop from a level 15 mob!
Player 4 : Hello my name is Osama and I represent the terrorist Organisation Al-Queada and want to recruit you in my march against the great Satan! Come join my terrorist organisation, Allah Ackbar!
Player 2 : STFU noob.
Player 3 : WoW! [Envious schlong of the Whale] itz tha sex!

Not going to happen, is it?......

Although America's Army was designed as a tool for recruitment into...America's Army, suprisingly. I suppose anything is possible.....

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by HooHaa

Get real... I love that game along with many others. Ive been an online gamer ever since I dialed up and saw my bud running across the screen in Doom( i laughed my azz off when i saw him) . I was hooked. BTW, I hold 3 separate degrees in various arts one being Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I trained with Rickson Gracie out of his home in Malibu California and another degree in Hsing-I Chaun taught to me by Vince Black. So that statement of yours is ignorant at best. So any online gamer is a wuss in your eyes huh. So what do you call a bunch of guys and gals who frequent a conspiracy website and talk about moon bases, NWO and aliens? Deranged Sissy freaks who don't have a life or a grip on reality?

Sorry stupid dumb ass statements like that jsut piss me off..

The fact alone that you feel the need to tell me about all these fighting styles that you have learned...(personally in some dudes house...possibly alone with him...), and the fact that "Sorry stupid dumb ass statements" like the one I made "just pisses you off" tells me alot about who you are and where you came from. From that statement alone, it is easy to assume that you are the kind of gamer that sits online all day, and your death in the game kills a small part of you....but it is obvious you never lose.....being Bruce Lee's little brother and all.
You obviously have self control.....it shows with your anger.
I myself am an online gamer....there are just many kinds of online gamers. There are the D&D geeks, and the rest of us. You should not be angry that your magic is not at a high level yet, you will most likely find the time to gain more experience and buy the sword of the sorceror or something someday.
As for the whole conspiracy website bashing....you are here too. I find many similarities between this web site and tabloids, always good to be entertained with Mr. Anybody's opinion or theory as to what's going on.
I also find it entertaining to post my own opinion on subjects that I like...can't say I like any of the ones you mentioned, but some people are into that stuff. I guess you can call me a dork or a loser for posting online instead of hanging out with a bunch of goths at a coffee shop, as from what I gather, wow is quite popular amongst those places. Anyhow, if I said half of the things I type...people like you get angry, and the last thing I would want is for Chuck Norris to kick my ass......

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:27 AM
link   

The fact alone that you feel the need to tell me about all these fighting styles that you have learned...(personally in some dudes house...possibly alone with him...), and the fact that "Sorry stupid dumb ass statements" like the one I made "just pisses you off" tells me alot about who you are and where you came from.

Some friendly advice, stop trolling for fights and derailing threads. The topic is accusations from law enforcement that games such as Second Life and World of Warcraft are being used to recruit terrorists - that's in case you forgot what the topic was.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The only person that I know of (that's famous or notable) that plays WOW is Dave Chappelle. He said he plays to escape the real world himself (not sure what server or side). And I KNOW he's not a terrorist

I still can't see anyone doing training/mock terrorist runs in WOW though. With the FPS (First Person Shooters) I can see that. Not in WOW. The game is too comical.

On a side jokey note: I think the White House would be a 40 man raid with the Oval Office being the last stage. Get to fight the president and some of his staff.

Tactic: Pull the President (put main tank on him) and have 5 off tanks hold the staff while they CC (Crowd Control) 4 of the staff and kill them one at a time. Keep last staff member alive then put all DPS (all damage per second) on the president and take him down to 5% then finish off the last staff member then drop President. Roll on loot.

Note: The above tactic is NOT real and should not be treated as such. This was a MAKE BELIEVE scenario that has NO possible way of becoming real. Oh, and it's not a mock run- was all made up for fun.

Just remembered: You need to do quests for KEYs or get attunement to get into the places you want to gain access too. Still can't see how WOW can be used as terrorist training/recruiting grounds. Just don't see it

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Thedreamur]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Well, I accuse law enforcement of accusing the innocent nerds of crimes they could never commit. That is my stance on the topic at hand. Wouldn't wan't to go off topic or nothing...

Once again....Quakeworld Team Fortress is the greatest online game ever. I see terrorists all over that game, trying to blow me up with a rocket propelled grenade as opposed to using their magics to turn me into a sheep.

Law enforcement really misplaced the blame on a group that makes online gamers look like online addicts with a connection to the occult.

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Online games are kind of like the real world: If it is good and people like/enjoy it the NERF bat comes a' swinging. Think of Microsoft & Walmart. As soon as it gets too good the Gubment nerf bat went to swinging and hacking away.

Games are the blame for this and games are the blame for that- GET REAL! Actually, think of how chess players (and chess has been around a longgggggggggggggg time) plan moves ahead of time.

I can see terrorists using chess as a way to train.

1. plan
2. attack
3. assess the damage
4. retreat
5. defend
6. regroup
7. back to step 1 and resume if victory is not obtain.

or

Steps 1-3
4. press attack
5. secure victory

Same thing you do in chess with set pieces that are predictable. People are NOT predictable and will act differently instead of a bishop that is stuck on one color (unless you trap people in a hallway).

Bah! This thread has gotten me all wacked out thinking terrorist stuff now. I'm raiding Karazhan tonight... must... not... give in... to... the darkness... NOOOOOOOOOooooooooo

[edit on 2-8-2007 by Thedreamur]

posted on Aug, 2 2007 @ 07:56 AM
link   
whats the big deal ? there terrorists and they play on games ? I dont think that there going to wake up one day and say, 'right time ot stop playying MMORPG's because im a terrorist' I think theres always going to be a terrorist on some game. I carnt see what the big deal is, its only huage if you can get there location through the game, if so, then great

Take Care every one, Vix

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Everyone... this article is from THE INQUIRER.

It is a tabloid that makes up stuff for a small audience.

posted on Aug, 3 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
The original article is from The Australian newspaper. As far as Australian newspapers go its pretty good and well respected here in Australia. It's a Murdoch paper, but nevertheless mainstream.

posted on Aug, 4 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
The original article is from The Australian newspaper. As far as Australian newspapers go its pretty good and well respected here in Australia. It's a Murdoch paper, but nevertheless mainstream.

That Australian article is about Second Life, not about WOW. (Actually you are right, i just saw the part where they claim this about WOW too)

BTW, yes there is such a group in Second Life. i haven't witnessed it but friends in Second Life have told me about it.

The problem started since the Lindens decided, for some dumb reason if you ask me and many people in Second Life, to allow open sourcing. Because of this there are many hackers and game programmers who enjoy making such attacks on established stores and even players they don't like.

There are players/programmers in Second Life who have weapons that with a few swings or shooting at you they can delete your avatar completely and all information, money and items you have.

There have been people in Second Life who have had to start over again because their avatars have been deleted, many of them know of this and have a back up of their own avatars in case this happens.

The "open sourcing" has allowed for Second Life to become "hacker/programmer's heaven", and they can do whatever they want.

As i said there are players who have taken over entire sections of Second Life (SIMS), and not even the Lindens can go there or even ban the best hackers/game programmers that play in Second Life.

The article from the inquirer claims that there are such things happening in WOW which I doubt is true, the Australian article talks just about Second Life.
(Yes, you were right, in the Australian article they also talk about WOW, but only in one sentence.)

BTW, this is really dumb, first of all those are games and are nothing like real life...

In SL if you know about programming/scripts and are good at it, you can literally be a "God" ingame, but you can't do the same in the real world...

You can't use a script to destroy blocks of real life buildings and kill people...

[edit on 4-8-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I know I'm not the best one to speak up I'm only a teen after all. I'm not even old enough to get my official license yet. But when I first heard of this subject I went crazy. It was saying to me that all who play wow is likely a terrorist. Meaning I would be one too and all my friends. It gives us something to entertain us with. And if they just learn by watching or playing the game than that means everything is likely a terrorist training system. Wow teaches you to survive in the game but not how to do it in real life today. You can study it but not do it. Everything is like that. TV, movies, other games, real world crime. You see it and are urged to imitate it but you're body is at a lost. To me if they say wow is a terrorist training system then....well I'm at a lost as well. Why don't they judge all the other games that teach you about strategies? In the real world that's all wow can give you; a more of a concept of fighting, entertainment, and sometimes an escape from what's eating at you deep inside. Blame this game and they're blaming all games out there. Even pacman. Where you learn to gain quick reflexes on the next move for the mazes and then eat your enemy. It may not be my place to say this and all but I could care less. They neeeed to back off. I'm a huge gamer and know how some think. If they take this any farther then they'll have an uprising on their hands. They're taking the gamers and anime fans out of everywhere like goggle and ask.com. They have to understand when you challenge a gamer you'll be brought into a game. Not their game but the gamers. They set the rules. And I know this is like a mass of confusion to some but they need to back off. If they challenge a game; it's like challenging the world of gamers. And they have the experience and they will set the rules. The government people will be tackled. As a gamer I know you never mess with a gamer’s game. They will...We will retaliate. They can't stop all of us. No matter what human laws they make. You can't stop us. You can't stop the Gamers.
No matter how it sounds I’m not trying to make a threat. But thinking ahead is what I can do. It’s a cause and effect game. From our past and present situations I can think of all possibilities coming from this. The people just can’t handle an uprising. And that’s a possibility. I just don’t hope they learn to think. The government needs to play wisely. I’m just hoping that it never happens. And that it just ends peacefully. My lack of knowledge is restraining me to explain things better. I just hope they realize things before they go overboard.

posted on Aug, 5 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
BTW, yes there is such a group in Second Life. i haven't witnessed it but friends in Second Life have told me about it.

There are hackers for every game.

How is hacking the same as recruiting terrorists?

[edit on 5-8-2007 by DJMessiah]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join