It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft used to recruit terrorists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Ah damn searches are still down we'll have to wait a while.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Here Now
I play this game and run my own clan (Group or Faction within the game, to help one another complete leveling issues faster). I have never seen anything online that would suggest that people are recruiting online.

I second that. I've been playing WOW since day one and I've never even seen a hint of anything fishy like that going on. NEVER not once. And if I ever do the game has a built in function where you can report stuff like this and it gets handled pretty quickly and the offender's account banned. I think this so called "security" expert is talking out of his ass.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Kevin Zuccato, head of the Australian High Tech Crime Centre in Canberra, says terrorists can gain training in games such as World of Warcraft in a simulated environment, using weapons that are identical to real-world armaments.

LMAO!! That quote alone tells me these so called "security" experts have no clue what they're talking about. They can use weapons that are identical to real world armaments? Really? You mean like Spells, swords, staves, magic wands? Typical D&D stuff? Come on they just mentioned WOW because its the most popular MMO in the World (over 9 million players and counting).

EDIT: Also the title of this thread is misleading since nowhere in the article does it mention a specific instance or even an example of this ever occurring in WOW. They only mention examples in Second Life.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by Ocelot]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I can't really see how terrorists can actually train in World or Warcraft unless they are planning to bomb the pentagon using say I don't know magic or some crap.

Second Life maybe but a game isn't going to be good training period.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

Originally posted by Here Now
I play this game and run my own clan (Group or Faction within the game, to help one another complete leveling issues faster). I have never seen anything online that would suggest that people are recruiting online.

I second that. I've been playing WOW since day one and I've never even seen a hint of anything fishy like that going on. NEVER not once. And if I ever do the game has a built in function where you can report stuff like this and it gets handled pretty quickly and the offender's account banned. I think this so called "security" expert is talking out of his ass.

thanks for the replys about wow, i was hoping to hear from wow users, as i said earlier, im not too familiar with the game as i only seen screenshots of it and that south park episode about it. to me, if terrorists were really using online games, it would be more logical to use more reality based games. the last time i was big on online gamming was with counter strike and america's army and i never noticed anything like that either, just hard core tatical gamers pwn'ing me and talking crap lol.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen
I can't really see how terrorists can actually train in World or Warcraft unless they are planning to bomb the pentagon using say I don't know magic or some crap.

Second Life maybe but a game isn't going to be good training period.

Yeah exactly. Apparently "terrorists" are going to blow up the world using magical spells. Most absurd thing I've read all week.

[edit on 1-8-2007 by Ocelot]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
/charge
/hit enemy with sword of doom for 3000 damage
/miss enemy with sword of doom

team mate

/cast spell fireball
/fireball hits enemy for 6000 damage and ignites enemy

/enemy dies

^^ realistic training for terrorists huh

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

Box cutters, strong will, 40 odd virgins. Say no more

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
heres a link to a thread i started on internet terrorism in games in 2006...it concerns terrorist recruitment in bf2.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

[edit on 1-8-2007 by Heratix]

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Originally posted by Harlequin

Box cutters, strong will, 40 odd virgins. Say no more

which has nothing at all to do with spells or dragons....

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by OcelotLMAO!! That quote alone tells me these so called "security" experts have no clue what they're talking about. They can use weapons that are identical to real world armaments? Really? You mean like Spells, swords, staves, magic wands? Typical D&D stuff? Come on they just mentioned WOW because its the most popular MMO in the World (over 9 million players and counting).

Been playing WoW for a few years also, and when I started reading this, my first thought was, WoW=realistic? LOL!

Maybe they are looking for weapons with a lot of +intellect on them

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin
Maybe they are looking for weapons with a lot of +intellect on them

+int and +spir if I was to cast huge amounts of spells. But realistically I think +agi and+stam would be better for hand to hand!

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Kevin Zuccato, head of the Australian High Tech Crime Centre in Canberra, says terrorists can gain training in games such as World of Warcraft in a simulated environment, using weapons that are identical to real-world armaments.

theinquirer

I would really like to see how any of the in game items can e used in real world events. I play WoW and I have a guild I help run. Basically it breaks down to medieval warfare you get Armour that has defense or stats depending what class you play. I really find it hard to believe that someone can recruit terrorist on WoW. What are they going to have a whole bunch of people attempting to cast Fire Nova in an office building only to realize “Wait…I don’t have mana in real life.”?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i agree with radioactive_liquid
not only was i thinking about the south park where the sword of destiny was stored in a 1 gigabyte flash drive and was handled like word from god...

but everyone who plays those games are my age give or take

people who are paying a subscription to live in a world of fantasy aren't likely to turn against their own country and suicide bomb anything

while in theory people who play those games play them to escape real life and if they find themselves "mistreated", in theory their anger could be exploited then forced to join the terrorists

theres evidence on both sides i guess....

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I've played WOW since beta.

Server: Warsong (PvP)
Character Name: Bunchabull
Race: Tauren
Class: Warrior
Level: 70
Guild: Broken Faith (Just joined)

Now... I really can't see how they are using WOW to do terrorist activities. However, you do get missions where you blow up little cannons and bomb mobs in the expansion (The Burning Crusade). Nothing major really. It's just a quest with a small reward of like 12 gold.

Furthermore, you really can't tell what people are doing inside instances either because its locked and only the group/raid members are allowed inside. Unless they are using Teamspeak/Ventrilo the devs can track all communications (even pull up all your old conversations) at any time.

I'm sure that the account(s) would have been handed over to the proper authorities and the issue(s) would have been dealth with accordingly.

Personally: I think it's a farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr stretch to go here with the terrorist thing and use WOW as a contact hub. Then again, I could be wrong though since I'm not a part of this.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I will have to doubt that this is occurring in WoW at least. I've been playing for over a year and haven't spoken to anyone or noticed any groups that condone terrorism. Do they honestly expect us to believe that terrorists are using this game to recruit?

What does their conversation go like?

Terrorist 1: Ok, guys, to practice our terrorist plan, we must kill Onyxia. Ahmed, did you add the +35 healing spells enchantment to your mace?

Ahmed: No, it was too expensive.

Terrorist 1: Damn you Ahmed. How are we supposed to conquer the world when you can't even get +35 healing spells on your mace?

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
I will have to doubt that this is occurring in WoW at least. I've been playing for over a year and haven't spoken to anyone or noticed any groups that condone terrorism. Do they honestly expect us to believe that terrorists are using this game to recruit?

Also WOW's community is very good at self policing. If something weird was going on other members would notice it and report it immediately. Hell people in WOW report other members for something as simple as cursing in chat.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
hahahaha WoW harboring terrorist and used for training and recruiting? HAHAHA ok i'm done laughing at this idea, but seriously. The only thing that WoW affects are peoples lives that are addicted to the game. I don't see any reason why a terrorist would want to go on WoW to recruit people. there are much better and underground ways of doing this. IRC is used widely and DALnet is now run by middle easterns. I'm in no way implying that all middle easterns are terrorists, but the ones America Calls terrorist are from the middle east and IRC would be an easier means of planning/training/recruiting than a silly online game. Get back to Reality please.

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
LOL! why does the media diss world of warcraft so much? ITS A COMPUTER GAME!

though i can see how running a five man instance would be very similar to breaching the US security infrastructure

i mean think about it.. lets say you wanted to raid the pentagon..

you would OBVIOUSLY need a tank, or someone to take all the hits so your group doesn't die. you would also need a healer if you wanted to get into the pentagon.. i mean all your guys would just take to much hits and your group would eventually wipe

you're also gonna need 2-3 guys that specialize in doing lots of damage for when the security comes. i'd take a mage with me to cast some long range damage spells. a rogue would be nice to paralyze enemies

i guess it all make sense after all. well, i guess i better get back to WoW

posted on Aug, 1 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Train them??

"Quick Ahmed, put on your Icarus Cape and kill the infadels with your +2 Wand of Destiny!"

"Uh, are you sure this will help me, uh, in real life?"

"Yes Ahmed! Argh! Now look! You were defeated by a horde of stampeding orcs! We can't afford these kinds of screw ups!"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join