It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CARET/Drones Debunked? – A “viral” fantasy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   
CARET/Drones Debunked? – A “viral” fantasy parti pris

My dearest fellow ATS brothers and sisters: You are the best and brightest of all truth-seekers. Your intellect and skills of observation are unparalleled in the web-universe of Planet Earth – and those special characteristics are now being taken flagrant advantage of – and have been for months.

We have been taken for a ride of unbelievable proportions. realityuncovered.com... , and, I believe, hits the nail squarely on the head. It is part one of a two part article written by Colin Bennett of The New Fortean Times out of London, England. Mr. Bennett has exposed the viral idiosyncrasies of the CARET/Drone enigma.

He refers to the saga as a version of “meme” psychology. To what end has yet to be determined, but the distinction to such early version campaigns such as the SERPO story is not lost. Pay particular attention to the “6 Steps of the CHAD Programme” at the end of the document. Very enlightening – and perhaps a bit disheartening as well.

I implore anyone who has a passing (or intimate) interest in the allegory of the Isaac/CARET/Chad Drone topic(s) circumnavigating this Earth to take a few minutes now and read: realityuncovered.com... .

If you have any trouble downloading the .pdf, or simply wish to check Colin Bennett’s site, you can go here. The “Meme Wars” excerpt about the CARET/Chad Drones is a few scrolls down the page.

Webster:
meme

/meem/ n. [coined by analogy with `gene', by Richard Dawkins] An idea considered as a replicator, esp. with the connotation that memes parasitize people into propagating them much as viruses do. Used esp. in the phrase `meme complex' denoting a group of mutually supporting memes that form an organized belief system, such as a religion. This lexicon is an (epidemiological) vector of the `hacker subculture' meme complex; each entry might be considered a meme. However, `meme' is often misused to mean `meme complex'. Use of the term connotes acceptance of the idea that in humans (and presumably other tool- and language-using sophonts) cultural evolution by selection of adaptive ideas has superseded biological evolution by selection of hereditary traits. Hackers find this idea congenial for tolerably obvious reasons.

Well – after reading this – anyone else feel we’re being duped?

Note: This is not a CGI/not CGI thread. It is specifically to discuss the merits of the “Bennett Meme Theory” as described above. Further to mods: This didn’t seem to fit the “explanation” thread (Chad as Isaac), or the “smoking gun” thread (Halo3), etc. – but feel free to redirect as you may see fit.

[edit fix link]

[edit on 7/26/2007 by Outrageo]

Admin Edit to give Reality Uncovered the traffic they deserve, PLEASE DO NOT copy other people's website pages into pdfs and post them here on a file server. Post a link to the site who did the work please.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by Springer]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Very, very cool Outrageo. Just read the Bennett doc. Thanks, eh. Sweeeet. The battle for mind-space is rather like full spectrum information systems at war, battling to infect mind-by-mind with the Net as the vector. Opportunistic, pervasive and persuasive. You can see the addictive qualities being exploited within those who would make the conscious decision to give pursuit... at that point it's too late. The "Kool-Aid" is being guzzled in large quantity by the eyes of the "ayes" and "nays" - that's the trick - saturation of a pre-existing void.

Look up the word "caret" in a dictionary and look to it's Greek roots.

Big cool Outrageo,
and
!

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 26-7-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Seems that this is another attempt to harvest the momentum of this event to aid someone else's agenda. It reminds me of the kids in larger cities that grab hold of a trolly or a bus to be pulled across town with only minimum personal effort.

There's a lot of speculation here, just as there is on our own threads, but no real proof of anything.

And as a side note, did you read the part where the poster opines that the "artist" used a 15foot by 10 foot canvas to create the original drawings, and then shrunk them to fit? Meaning that the hoaxer purposely created some "art" that couldn't be appreciated, just for his/her own amusement.

Here we have what appears to me to be another in a long line of people creating explanations to fit with preconceived ideas.

I'm not saying this person is wrong, just that the evidence so far presented has no more substance, and less art, than the original Isaac story.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The original "Isaac" story? OK. Son of Abraham and Sarah that Abraham was willing to "sacrifice". Oh my.

caret:

Etymology: Latin, there is lacking, from carEre to lack, be without
: a wedge-shaped mark made on written or printed matter to indicate the place where something is to be inserted

Yes NG' we're all effectively affected and infected... slaves in the court of a King. ROTFLMFAO.

Over at www.isaaccaret.com, keeping Outageo's "meme" definition in mind and the word replicator... look at the "banner title" - replicant? Oh, this will be Schaedenfreude. I look forward to the future. Do "they" know they are being "hunted"? I look forward to a "public-kill", hopefully bloody.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
V.K., I wish you were my next door neighbor. With your sense of fun, we could drive this town batty.

And we are all slaves, but it is in the choosing or being chosen that I find the rub.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wow. Just read it. Curiously, another member and I were just discussing this issue with a view to starting another thread. I can't wait for Part Two of the article.

One of the interesting issues to me is the emergence of the DRONE CULT as the various ideas are whittled away.

1. We started with the "Oh, Wow, look at this" posts to whet our appetites for a very cool looking 'machine' or something.

2. Second up were the CGI experts proclaiming an obvious hoax. This resulted in other proclaimed experts disagreeing, both sides flaunting their expertise in a 'mine is bigger than yours' frenzy that lasted a thousand posts, just one of a dozen threads on the drones. Although we still see flare ups of the CGI issue, it is largely behind us not because it is resolved, but because the experts proclaiming fake have left in disgust. Biedny and Ritzmann no longer find the fake drones of interest, leaving those who think they are real. Thus the experts proclaiming fake are the first drop-outs from the general (ATS general? Ha ha ha) populace.

3. Proclamations of viral marketing emerged with Transformers being the primary target, though perhaps not the best of fits, and after release of the movie, no fit at all. Well, then, Halo3! No? How about some other film. Less and less likely the viral proclamators, of which there were many who ‘knew for sure’ and insisted, were the second group to drop off the Drone bandwagon.

4. A concerted effort at translating the figures ensued, with people such as hiii_8, Outrageo, and a couple of others leading the way. Curiously, there were those who insisted they could read the script, called it obvious and elohim, or Klingon, or Space Brothers Linear B. But those, too, though they ‘knew for sure’ and insisted, fell by the wayside as the characters defied decipherment. Another failure, another hold, another lack of explanation.

5. And the Drones, they were a changing! From Chad's light-weight pilotless sport model we began to see heavier, more ominous ships that just might have some 'equipment' inside that mass of floating metal in the sky. Our prayers were heard. The light weight drones grew heavier with our every question and demand, thus we created our own reality, just like they say you can.

6. Meanwhile, back at Coast to Coast, Linda and her buddies, in what even Bennet calls "her usual thorough manner" managed to wrack up anonymous witnesses only she knows, plus a couple of admitted CGI character studies done just to see how hard it would be, for Linda to call "real!" Thus reality imitating hoax is now part of the mix as ratings soar. Curiously, NO WITNESSES STEP UP except only in Linda’s Outlook address book. Ding! Ding! Ding! That’s an alarm bell the faithful do not wish to hear.

7. Next up at the batting cage is dear old Isaac, who worked in a non-existent facility deciphering text and back-engineering alien Tupperware to the point that, 'engineering wise' the characters became programming for the craft, their very existence running the code, magical characters with soul and purpose. Amazingly ornate translation tables devoid of real meaning, but convincing to those who gave up trying to understand them with the first curve of the nonsensical spiral of translation. Utterly meaningless crapola woven into grammatically correct syntax so that the wise nod ‘yes, of course’ without understanding a single phrase.

8. And curiously, those new to the fold, drawn like Mothra to the Cult of Drone, show up to comment on how special this all is--an engineer who says the Magical Characters just might work, to Sagan-like wondering posts of billions and billions of drones, but quick to shut down those who wonder just why these guys showed up now and who are they, really? It seems to question the new Drone Reality is no longer allowed as the Cult closes ranks to share belief and wonder.

And who do we have left hanging onto the egg beater tines for dear life as they are swept away by the wonder of it all? The stalwart believers, those who believe the Drones are Real, whether salvation or scout ship preceding doom. How can you NOT believe? How can you be so stupid as to not SEE the LIGHT with your own eyes. We are about to be smote by the Lord and you are acting superior. What? Do you think you're a genius?!?

Well, considering the lack of critical thinking skills exhibited by those who are left worshipping the drones, I, along with several tens of thousands of other ATS members will agree with you. Compared to you, we are. What we are left with is the Cult of the Drone, waiting on the mountaintop, circling the wagons for Yet Another Coming, eating astronaut ice cream and proclaiming that it is Good.

But it all begs the question of Why? As Bennett says, this is not a college term-paper prank. It's not a bunch of guys in a bar at Corona drinking the same making up Roswell in the middle of the smoke to turn up sixty years later when they are all dead. I thought for awhile it could have been a classroom project, enlisting the twenty students on various aspects of the scam, but no longer. This has some skill attached. It has a budget. Money has been spent. DARPA has given out another grant to the Rand Corporation for a study. Could this be it? A Black covert shadow DARPA dispassionately studying the machinations of THX-1138 caught in a room with white walls, ceiling and floor, watching his arms go akimbo, not knowing why.

Magical letters creating machine-code movement? Not a snowball's chance in hell. If that makes me an elitist, so be it. But Black-Ops DARPA? That's my cup of tea: New World Order Masonic Lackey. Member: MIB Black Ops Division. Why don’t you fix your little issues and Light This Candle!

Black-Ops DARPA? Come! On!! Down!!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The notion of the drone story and its various permutations being some kind of sociological test is interesting, although there's nothing specific about it to indicate that. I agree, there's no proof either way.

At this point, the most plausible supposition about this whole matter is that it is the work of a number of individuals skilled at a writing and generating computer graphics. The information and graphics got more complex as more was revealed. That's about as much as we know.

As for the "why," that remains a matter of speculation. The leading candidates for that are:

1) Hoax -- An "art" hoax, like crop circles.
2) Disinformation -- Fragments of the info are real, but a lot has been created by unknown (government) sources to obfuscate the reality.
3) Advertising -- For a new video game or movie, but which one? If it's advertising, it's not done well.
4) People interested in revealing the "truth" -- Although they don't seem to want to reveal the entire truth. Too bad.

Perhaps this can equate to the SERPO matter, but I think it's a bit of a stretch.

In any event, we should keep in mind that in the grand scheme of things, this whole drone matter is only of interest to maybe a few thousand people in the entire world. The UFO community is really not tremendously big. And the drone stuff is suitable to the size of the audience. I don't see anyone making full-scale flying versions and flying them over the White House. So the activity is still very limited.

And for the most part, I don't see way too many people jumping up and down, completely buying the story as absolutely true. Most people seem to still be reasonably skeptical about the claims of Isaac and the photographers. Which is a good thing. I don't think many people are being outright hornswaggled. We're just curious and interested. What's wrong with that?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Lock 'N' Load, schu'. I got a half-dozen old-school CLI engines running "full-text" 24/7 - bring me the head of Isaac on a stick! LOL. Don't be "coy", step right up folks! We gonna have some fun! Crap, I just started... I don't want to get "CARET'd" away but since Fry slayed the last of the active...

Connie Kalitta ain't the only "Bounty Hunter"... and I damn-sure ain't gonna get caught short on horsepower...

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
SIR, MR schylar, when you get your wind up, you're good.

A lively post, and a worthwhile read. I love a good orator. I hope those were not exit lines, else we may needs call on you for an encore.

Or a public flaying.

You see, despite your masterful use of the English language, you're no closer than all the other speculators have been to solving this. You do a fine job of pronouncing the ignorance of all concerned, even those that basically agree with you. Yet you retire the field without letting your spotlight illuminate the truth.

Surely one so forceful of bearing in the certainty of this all being faked thinks there is a purpose behind it. Shoot, I won't even point out errors in your current stance if you will but anoint me with more of this outstanding verbiage.

But as you so often ask of others, please provide proof and not just opinion.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Wow, not another thread!!!! Nooooooooooo!!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think everyone should chill out and let things happen in ignore mode. If it's a hoaxer, the very lack of attention will kill him and force him into more drone photos and such.

If it's real, then, well, so be it. No harm, no foul, no time wasted.

People talk about the concept of having a "language" that controls things being impossible. The only thing impossible about anything of the drone stories is finding out who really is behind it all.

I noticed someone said "Facts, not opinions". Well my friend, there are no "facts" to present other than what has been gone over, and over, and over on the numerous threads regarding the drones. So, now that I have established there are no more facts, all we are left with is posts such as this, which are just more opinions.

Hey, who cares. We're all here for a good read anyway, right?

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
But as you so often ask of others, please provide proof and not just opinion.

I don't think you can pin the 'provide proof' thing on me very often. Just my opinion, which should have been the ending, but I liked my ending better! But as this is the Drone as Cult thread, I feel more at home here. It's so cozy. It was beginning to sound like a church. I left the church, not the town. I'm convinced it's fake, clearly, as there are too many alarm bells like anonymous witnesses and now the incredulous Magical Characters, just to see how far 'they' can stretch things and still keep some converts alive. The thing is, this has ENERGY behind it (if not money), and I'm as up in the air as anyone about where this energy is coming from. I think the Black-DARPA idea is worthwhile to toss around, but I'm not claiming it is definitive. Now I gotta get some groceries or no dinner.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by knows_but_doesnt
Wow, not another thread!!!! Nooooooooooo!!!!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think everyone should chill out and let things happen in ignore mode. If it's a hoaxer, the very lack of attention will kill him and force him into more drone photos and such.

If it's real, then, well, so be it. No harm, no foul, no time wasted.

Hey, man, you're the one still posting to the various threads. Can't you follow your own advice? Yeah, I know. It's an attractive nuisance, and even if out of the thousands of the posts so far nobody has offered any real insight into the grander picture or point of the whole exercise, it's still hard not to want to jump in and offer one's two cents.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Speaking of C2C... hmmm. Guess what might be on the menu for the 27th? I'll give you two guesses but you'll only need one. She better back off ten and punt... lest she waken real-world "others" not as manifestly charitable as I.

Good "Isaac" hunting!

Vic

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736

Surely one so forceful of bearing in the certainty of this all being faked thinks there is a purpose behind it.

If this is all just fake what is the purpose behind it?

I would love to hear the speculations as to the possible reasons why someone or some group would fake this.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It seems curious that although he thinks he's got it all figured out he says:

The pictures were more clear than most UFO pictures, and a short video soon made its appearance.

Yet he hasn't figured out the videos were a CGI test done by that Saladshooter dude and obviously not part of the same package of information.

So he loses some credibility in my eyes.

[edit on 26/7/2007 by Cory and Trevor]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I dont even really know what I just read
I'm a simple fellow and that was way out of my league. One thought thou, there's nothing to indicate that the drones are made specifically for this purpose. More likely in my opinion is that someone just observed the effect online and wrote a piece. The whole text is of course assuming that the drones are a hoax.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Well, now that someone asked, I do have a small idea. Chaff. You know, the stuff you throw out of a plane to confuse the enemy's radar? Maybe that was all this was meant to be.

I'm slowly weeding through stories and reports that happened just prior to the release of the first drone pictures. Let us say that as a contingency, some group had this Isaac story on the ready, and used it to divert attention away from something else.

That would explain the amount of effort for a hoax for such a small target audience. We would be the only people that needed to be steered away from something by being handed such a juicy story.

This thought process naturally leads me to think that it could be another UFO event that was hushed up.

It's only an idea, but worth a look. If anyone here has heard of something that fills the criteria and the time frame, please feel free to mention it, or better yet, look into it on your own. Then come back and tell us if there's a likely candidate.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
If that would be the case then it would also be headlines here. This drone thing isn't taking up that much resources that we would simply ignore something significant.

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

If this is all just fake what is the purpose behind it?

I would love to hear the speculations as to the possible reasons why someone or some group would fake this.

Well, as the article described very succinctly, one purpose would be to gauge the reaction of the intellectually stimulated who tend to avoid most television programming and are typically very selective of their reading and other exposure to media.

If you can't "reach" these kinds of curiosity/truth/validity seekers through any other means, but really value their opinions if you could just get some of it, then going through the trouble of inventing an elaborate story such as this yields a veritable gold mine of reaction and opinion.

With thousands of such 'opinions' on ATS already (not to mention the other, er, "lesser" forums), a perpetrator can presumably plant the seeds, and then spend weeks or months "harvesting" the insight of relatively hi-IQ participants without spending a dime.

What can one do with such information? It'll boggle your mind... Just one example: You've likely read some of the conjecture regarding the viral marketing hypotheses, i.e., the drones are from Transformers, Halo3 or what have you. Nope. How about viral marketing IN REVERSE? You simply harvest all of the responses to see what the "UFO Geeks" are into - what turns them on - and then weave a FUTURE movie or game around it.

The possibilities are endless - it costs little to nothing, and the VALUE is immeasurable. No expensive surveys and 'market studies', no trying to squeeze opinion from a reluctant and generally suspicious crowd (of media/marketers et al) , no waiting forever for results, no trying to sift the material to see what is true feeling and what is just fluff. I find most posters here quite willing to spill their guts in an instant - no holds barred!

Without much imagination, I can think of several nefarious media/product marketing types that would be able to "use" this wealth of "data" for all sorts of "purposes". The ROI on something like this would be exponential...

[edit on 7/26/2007 by Outrageo]

posted on Jul, 26 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
If that would be the case then it would also be headlines here. This drone thing isn't taking up that much resources that we would simply ignore something significant.

I doubt that what I'm looking for would have been "headline" material, certainly not on the level that Isaac and the drones were. Maybe something that a little digging could have uncovered a "smoking gun", but that we were too dazzled by our big fish to look at.

Did anyone else notice that the False Flag thread held us all up just long enough for the drones to become the big eye catcher? It reminds me of a two man pickpocket team.

We could have been steered right down the pike from GRs thread, which was nonstop BS, into the drones and then Isaac. And each one got better at details because each one had more lead time.

What's the old saying, "If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with BS". And if you do it fast enough, with good acting, by the time they figure out they've been had, the train has left the station.

Just an idea.

[edit on 26-7-2007 by NGC2736]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join