It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Food Recall Expands;Will human food be next?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:27 PM
link   
without reading the above posts yet. (i'm furious and sad)
that *i*: random person that lives in a quiet beach town on the west coast,
had the unfortunate luck of buying a box of tainted cat food and had to put my very own cat down last saturday at 4:00pm...

hearing how effective this poisoning has actually been really makes you wonder about human foods for sure. (and the intentions of some very sick people in the world if this was not an accident)

apc

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Unfortunately this seems to have just been an accident... a result of Chinese incompetence.

Local "natural" pet food stores are reporting a 30% increase in sales following this event.

I feed my cat Science Diet and was lucky enough to have not picked the contaminated varieties. I recently thought about switching him over all raw food. Whole chicken and rabbit. Just have to find a market source for rabbit since wild is full of worms.

Hopefully this will result in some tighter controls on petfood quality.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Local "natural" pet food stores are reporting a 30% increase in sales following this event.

That is an interesting statement because I feel this will be a turning point where people are seriously going to be demanding healthy food for people, pets, livestock, etc., and this could trigger some other things to happen.

1. More companies jumping on the "organic" bandwagon illegally just to generate more revenue off of the public demand.

2. The gov't taking more control over the food supply to force the public to consume only what is available. It is in their interest to keep us sick, drugged, and under their control. If the public becomes more aware of that we are being sickened purposely, they will naturally start to search for healthy food such as organics or growing their own food. This is a very good explanation for the GM foods and "terminator" seeds which are programmed to self-destruct instead of produce plants.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by observer

ROCKVILLE, Maryland: The tainted wheat gluten that triggered a massive pet food recall also ended up in processing plants that prepare food consumed by people, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said.

It's in the people food too!

Here you go. The FDA has said that this wheat gluten has indeed entered into food plants where human food is produced. Yet they won't tell us what plant or the food stuff made there.
This just keeps getting bigger!

Ok WOW this is really interesting because I just heard Robin Mead (from CNN Headline News) state that the wheat gluten did NOT make it into the human food supply.

Leave it to the media to twist everything up so much that we don't know what the truth is.

We need to stay on top of this.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

Ok WOW this is really interesting because I just heard Robin Mead (from CNN Headline News) state that the wheat gluten did NOT make it into the human food supply.

Leave it to the media to twist everything up so much that we don't know what the truth is.

My guess is that the MSM does not scour the "internets" are thoroughly as the worldwide users of ATS.
Also, they could be keeping a lid on this until they are able to say WHAT food might be contaminated to prevent the public from flipping out completely.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

My guess is that the MSM does not scour the "internets" are thoroughly as the worldwide users of ATS.
Also, they could be keeping a lid on this until they are able to say WHAT food might be contaminated to prevent the public from flipping out completely.

Obs out.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Sorry if this has been asked but, I cannot seem to find the list of current realled cat food. Could some one please help me in finding this list so I can evaluate if my cats food and treats are on the list. Thank you

apc

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
So far I think these are the manufacturers affected. Check their websites for details.

Nestle Purina PetCare Co.: www.purina.com...

Hill's Pet Nutrition: www.hillspet.com...

Menu Foods: menufoods.com...

It's probably a good idea to just check your ingredient labels and if there's wheat gluten, throw it out.

As far as human food goes, my understanding is that wheat gluten is used as a meat substitute in vegetarian foods. Just another reason why not eating animals is a bad idea.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
So far I think these are the manufacturers affected. Check their websites for details.

Nestle Purina PetCare Co.: www.purina.com...

Hill's Pet Nutrition: www.hillspet.com...

Menu Foods: menufoods.com...

It's probably a good idea to just check your ingredient labels and if there's wheat gluten, throw it out.

As far as human food goes, my understanding is that wheat gluten is used as a meat substitute in vegetarian foods. Just another reason why not eating animals is a bad idea.

Thank you for the info
I did not know that it was the gluten that was causing the sick
If it is used in vegetarian foods then I have to go and tell all my vegan friends. You just might have save a life or two today. Thanks

[edit on 4am4 30 200 by goddogo1]

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Just so people are aware, wheat gluten is used very often and is not only used by vegans:

About 70 percent of the wheat gluten used in the United States for human and pet food is imported from the European Union and Asia, according to the Pet Food Institute, an industry group. 70 percent. Just about every variety of baked good, particularly the whole wheat variety, has wheat gluten added to make the finished product softer and milder tasting. I add it to my homemade 100% whole wheat bread. I had no idea so much was imported. And there is absolutely no reason for that.
source

Del Monte Foods has confirmed that the melamine-tainted wheat gluten used in several of its recalled pet food products was supplied as a "food grade" additive, raising the likelihood that contaminated wheat gluten might have entered the human food supply.

Source

PETA has worries the contaminants are not only based on wheat gluten. If this is the case the pet foods did not only have rat poison and melamine but also toxic levels of vitamin D-3.

This morning, PETA Vice President Bruce Friedrich made an urgent appeal to Stephen Sundlof, director of the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine, asking the agency to refocus its investigation beyond wheat gluten -- which is used almost exclusively in wet foods -- and consider other possible contaminants. In his letter, Friedrich points out the following:

source

When is the FDA going to release the name of the distributor? Will they wait and see if people will become ill, and only after their illnesses are linked to contaminanted foods? If that is the case we will never know. The media continues to cover it up, our pets continue to die, and the vast majority of people are left in the dark not knowing they are slowly posioning their beloved animals everyday. I've contacted everyone I know who is a pet owner. They all believed there was only a few recalls and it did not include the food they used. In fact my mother in law who feeds her cat the Precription dry food that was recalled, did not believe me cause she bought it from her vet. This whole thing has gotten way out of hand.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Goddogo1 and APC just so you know there is also recalls from Del Monte.

List of Del monte pet foods

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well it's happened.

The ACLU had a class action lawsuit against the pet food company...

It was only a matter of time....

The American dream...sue...sue...sue...

My sympathy to anyone who lost a pet in this mess...

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfTom
Well it's happened.

The ACLU had a class action lawsuit against the pet food company...

It was only a matter of time....

The American dream...sue...sue...sue...

My sympathy to anyone who lost a pet in this mess...

I'm sure that seems like a good thing... but the ACLU is controlled by the NWO groups (whom they receive money from), so this could be nothing but a puppet show.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by strangefires
Goddogo1 and APC just so you know there is also recalls from Del Monte.

List of Del monte pet foods

Thanks for that bit of information. There was a product on the list of del monte foods that I give to the cat. Luckly he had not eaten them yet. It is the Moist chicken flavor pounce brand treats. What is weird is that there is no wheat gluten in the product. I just wonder if the product has the wheat gluten in it but not listed on the label?

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Pet connection has come up with a database for pet owners to report ill or deceased pets from this recall:

Update 4/4, 5:46 a.m.. PT): 3,168 pets have been reported as deceased to our PetConnection database. Of these, 1,700 are cats, and 1,468 are dogs. Total report of all sick a deceased pets: 9,203. These are self-reported numbers, and should be in no way be considered confirmed or "official." But if even a fraction can be confirmed, they show deaths far exceeding the FDA's count of 16 pets, most of whom died in a manufacturers feeding trial.

If you or someone you know have pets who are victims to this recall you can report it here:

Recall database

Also Chemnutra has been identified as one of the companies who imported the tainted wheat gluten. They have denied claims that this particular imported wheat gluten has made it into human food production, though they do provide wheat gluten to human food processors.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by goddogo1
Thanks for that bit of information. There was a product on the list of del monte foods that I give to the cat. Luckly he had not eaten them yet. It is the Moist chicken flavor pounce brand treats. What is weird is that there is no wheat gluten in the product. I just wonder if the product has the wheat gluten in it but not listed on the label?

Even foods that we buy at the grocery store contain chemicals that are hidden in other ingredients and not listed on the label. If it's done to us, I think we can assume it can be done with petfood as well.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The FDA has admited the tainted wheat gluten made it into human food processing plants:

ROCKVILLE, Md. -- Tainted wheat gluten that triggered a massive nationwide pet food recall also ended up in processing plants that prepare food consumed by people, the Food and Drug Administration said yesterday. While agency leaders offered assurances that the nation's food supply remains safe, they said they cannot yet completely rule out contamination of human food by the suspect wheat gluten, which contained melamine, a chemical found in plastics and pesticides.

According to import records, the wheat gluten was shipped to the United States from Nov. 3, 2006 to Jan. 23 of this year and contained "minimal labeling" to indicate whether it was intended for humans or animals. The vast majority went to pet food manufacturers and distributors, according to the FDA. But some of the processing plants that remain under FDA scrutiny make both human and pet food.

source

Del Monte states the wheat gluten they recieved which was tainted, was in fact labeled as "food grade" not "feed grade".

Del Monte Foods has confirmed that the melamine-tainted wheat gluten used in several of its recalled pet food products was supplied as a “food grade” additive, raising the likelihood that contaminated wheat gluten might have entered the human food supply.

source

I'm still trying to get the most update info, it seems as all I can do it find pieces here and there and post what I find. Though I can not say for certain the picture seems to unfold as such:

The wheat gluten was processed and produced in China, the trail seems to begin in the Jiangsu province. Chemnutra imported the wheat gluten, but it should be noted other major distributors also import from this region such as ADM, Cargill, etc. De Monte has stated the wheat gluten was labeled "food grade" not "feed grade" so it inturn was distributed to pet food manufactors and the FDA has admitted food manufactors. Because more than one distributor imports from this region the chances you have this tainted food in your kitchen get higher. The fact the FDA is only releasing small amounts of information this should raise imediate concern as they do not want to create a panic. Wheat gluten is sometimes labeled on foods as wheat, wheat protein, and/or wheat flour so look at packaging carefully. It is present in many processed canned foods, pasta, baked goods, etc. I'll keep trying to find more info and I'll continue posting what I can.

Take care.

apc

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
eek! My whole wheat bread had wheat gluten in it! I say had because... the sack is empty! I'm gonna die!!

Now some will be rejoicing right now... and to those I say don't worry. I will continue to haunt your miserable little existence, even in death.

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
eek! My whole wheat bread had wheat gluten in it! I say had because... the sack is empty! I'm gonna die!!

Now some will be rejoicing right now... and to those I say don't worry. I will continue to haunt your miserable little existence, even in death.

Please haunt all of the corrupt organizations involved in this selfish, evil scheme to reduce the population. And our pets are actually the better part of the population because they always love us unconditionally and what did they get for it? An untimely death. It makes me sick.

apc

posted on Apr, 4 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Crap... I just stopped by the store. Almost all the cat treats have wheat gluten in them. Meow Mix Go Fish moist cat treats don't, so I got some for the furrball. Wheat flour, but no gluten. Other Meow Mix products had gluten in them, so I assume this wheat flour is not gluten in disguise.

Bread on the other hand... I couldn't find a loaf that didn't have wheat gluten in it. I picked up the same stuff I've been eating since I'm apparently not dead yet, but I sure hope they determine the extend of contamination into human food stocks soon.

Please haunt all of the corrupt organizations involved in this selfish, evil scheme to reduce the population.

Sorry I have to say this is not a vast conspiracy to thin the herd. China sucks. That's all there is to it in my mind.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join