It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Food Recall Expands;Will human food be next?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

Originally posted by goddogo1
Thanks for that bit of information. There was a product on the list of del monte foods that I give to the cat. Luckly he had not eaten them yet. It is the Moist chicken flavor pounce brand treats. What is weird is that there is no wheat gluten in the product. I just wonder if the product has the wheat gluten in it but not listed on the label?

Even foods that we buy at the grocery store contain chemicals that are hidden in other ingredients and not listed on the label. If it's done to us, I think we can assume it can be done with petfood as well.

Whats Funny is we as ciitizens of the United States can't do anything about it. Going up against a pet food company would be like going up aginst the oil companies.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
carnival_of_souls2047,

Do you know for certain what is in the hot dogs and hamburger that you are eating?

Buy a good brand that says all beef and pick out a beef roast and let the butcher grind it for you.

I started feeding my 2 dogs boiled chicken . They love it and I know what is in it.

The thighs and legs are very cheap in most grocery stores.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

I’m with those of you who are concerned about this crap showing up in people food too. Our Safeway pulled all store brands of bread products on 4/1. When I contacted them for an explanation, I got a world class line of BS (including “the shelves were empty because we sold it all”), but eventually an admission that they pulled bread that day all the way from Eugene, OR to Seattle, WA because of a “potential problem” in their regional bakery. Do I smell a little wheat gluten problem?

This post was made on
Petconnection.com yesterday. I am not on the west coast so I can not verify this, but if anyone's located nearby there perhaps they could look into it.

This site also continues to track the amount of animals that have been reported ill or deceased, right now the number of deceased is around 3200, ill almost 10,000.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Whats Funny is we as ciitizens of the United States can't do anything about it. Going up against a pet food company would be like going up aginst the oil companies.

It's funny you say that, since Archer Daniel Midland, ADM, the number one producer and distributor of grains and a possible culprit in this whole thing as they produce wheat gluten in jiangsu and other chinese providences, also is the NUMBER 1 ethonal producer in the country. They have strong ties to the Bush adminstration, and if you do a search of the two you will come across a wide variety of information. Here's a little piece of ADM and Bush history: Green Gone Dirty.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
carnival_of_souls2047,

Do you know for certain what is in the hot dogs and hamburger that you are eating?

Buy a good brand that says all beef and pick out a beef roast and let the butcher grind it for you.

I started feeding my 2 dogs boiled chicken . They love it and I know what is in it.

The thighs and legs are very cheap in most grocery stores.

I use to work at Elm Hill Meats in eastern Tennessee they made hot dogs and yes I do know that if it says beef then it is all the left overs of the cow after they take the good parts. If it says chicken then it is all the left over parts of the chicken after they take the good parts. If it does not say what type of dogs they are then it is both leftover chicken and leftover beef that goes into the dogs. Their is some preservitive that they add but cannot remember the name(MSG?) Some times they add red food coloring to. The thing is, is what are they putting in the vegan hot dogs? If the wheat gluten is a meat substitute!

[edit on 5am4 30 200 by goddogo1]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by strangefires

It's funny you say that, since Archer Daniel Midland, ADM, the number one producer and distributor of grains and a possible culprit in this whole thing as they produce wheat gluten in jiangsu and other chinese providences, also is the NUMBER 1 ethonal producer in the country. They have strong ties to the Bush adminstration, and if you do a search of the two you will come across a wide variety of information. Here's a little piece of ADM and Bush history: Green Gone Dirty.

Hasn't George Bush gone on TV and said that the US needed to look twards alternate fuels? It seems as if he know he can't take over Iraq's oil and now he is trying to look twards his future!(meaning fatter pockets for him and his family)

[edit on 5am4 30 200 by goddogo1]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
i think Newman's Own is really good for pets. my dog loves it. iams should rott in a firey lake with P&G!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
And it begins folks!

Safeway Announces Bread Recall

Safeway Inc. pulled its own brand of bread from store shelves Friday after customer complaints about bits of wire found in a number of loaves led the supermarket chain to recall several varieties of its store-brand sliced bread.

The bread was voluntarily recalled because it may contain wire fragments from production machinery, the company said. Safeway was not aware of any injuries associated with the recalled bread.

Bread affected by the recall was sold at Safeway and Pak 'n Save stores in Northern California and Northwest Nevada. The recall does not affect store-brand bread sold at the company's Vons or Pavilions stores in Southern California.

Earlier today I posted a comment from a blog where a woman explains how she noticed bread disappearing from the shelves of her local grocery store. She investigated only to be told they were simply sold out. Not convinced she pressed the matter until they told her there was a recall from Oregon to Washington. (In case you didn't notice Safeway is now saying it only included N. Cal and NW Nevada). So guess what is one of the first ingredients listed on Safeway brand bread!?! Yeah, wheat gluten. Obviously something is just not right here. Where are these customers that found wire??? Normally they would be on the news showing what they found and being interviewed. Now that I say that, tonight there will be some poor sucker holding a piece of wire saying, "Yo man I like found this like wire in my toast dude." And someone will be handing him a fifty after to buy some more crack! lol. Well anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, so here it begins, don't expect to see this story in national news tonight, perhaps it might make a closing bleep on the media seen, "Tomorrow will be 70 degrees and sunny, oh and don't eat the bread. This segment brought to you by Safeway, Safe is the way to go."

Over and Out

[edit on 5-4-2007 by strangefires]

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Looks like this was the US distributor........ChemNutra Inc.

ChemNutra Inc., a company in Las Vegas, Nevada, announced on April 3rd, that they have recalled all wheat gluten it had imported from one of its three Chinese wheat gluten suppliers

The wheat gluten ChemNutra recalled was all shipped from China in 25 kg. paper bags, and distributed to customers in the same unopened bags. The bags were all labeled "Wheat Gluten Batch No.: _______ Net Weight: 25 kg Gross Weight: 25.1 kg Made in China". ...............

..... ChemNutra shipped from its Kansas City warehouse to three pet food manufacturers and one distributor who supplies wheat gluten only to the pet food industry. ChemNutra's shipments commenced November 9, 2006 and ended March 8, 2007. ChemNutra did not ship to facilities that manufacture food for human consumption, and the distributor ChemNutra shipped to supplies wheat gluten only to pet food manufacturers. The total quantity of Xuzhou Anying wheat gluten shipped was 792 metric tons.

www.fda.gov...

Another source.....

go.sosd.com...

Still doesn't explain why it took so long to get this company's name....??

apc

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Once again my city is in the news!

Glad I don't have to go atkins!

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ah ha! The conspiracy deepens.

China firm denies role in pet deaths food scare

BEIJING (Reuters) - A Chinese company at the centre of a contamination scare that has led to a recall of pet foods in North America and Europe said on Friday it had never exported wheat gluten to the United States.

"We haven't sold an ounce of wheat gluten to the U.S. and I don't understand how come they are blaming us," the manager, surnamed Mao, said by telephone.

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
A little more on ChemNutra.

They call themselves "The China-Source Experts".

ChemNutra imports quality ingredients from China to the U.S. for the feed, food and pharma industries.

.....experienced in negotiating, securing and delivering ultra-competitive pricing on high-quality chemicals and ingredients from quality-assured manufacturers in China.

www.chemnutra.com...

Stephen S. Miller, the CEO:

....has over 20 years experience in business management, entrepreneurship, finance, marketing, and law. He has also served as Vice President at both Smith Barney and EF Hutton, as well as Investment Officer at Citibank.

Sally Miller, the President:

.....over 12 years of experience in China as QA Manager and Purchasing Manager, working for various multinational companies.

......earned an MBA as well as an Engineering degree in Food Engineering. She has been a member of the Institute for Supply Management in the US.

( I added the bolding for emphasis..)

The company's press release (PDF file)
www.chemnutra.com...

Another article in Canada Free Press raises some new questions!!

This is a company supplying pet food makers whose licence seems to be in dispute.

Reviewjournal.com reports that ChemNutra has an active business licence in Las Vegas, but the company has not filed as a Nevada corporation.

Read the whole article here:
www.canadafreepress.com...

They voice something else that I've been wondering.......Why so FEW death reports?.....Supposedly only something like 16 pet deaths have been 'reported'...?? Out of that much tonnage of shipped wheat gluten, I find that unbelievable!

We have 'lost' at least 6 cats. These were feral cats and or strays that over time, have taken up residence at our barn. We do feed all of them, usually see them every day, but we have 'rarely' had our hands on them.

We didn't actually know they were sick, til we began to find the dead and dying....the symptoms seemed like rat poisoning.....(we don't use it, but at first we thought perhaps we had a neighbor who'd put some out, and the cats had nabbed some sick mice.)

Oh yeah, we'd been feeding one of the brands that's been recalled...(not the pouch form, but canned.) That was over half of our wild little 'herd'....I'm betting the overall death figure is much higher, but without hundreds of little autopsys, how can we prove it?

[edit on 6-4-2007 by frayed1]

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I was just thinking. Is their a list of all the companies that purchased the poisoned wheat gluten from the company that sells the poisoned wheat gluten in china? Is it avaliable to the public? If not, then why not? I wonder what other companies purchased it other than the pet food companies>

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
Read the whole article here:
www.canadafreepress.com...

They voice something else that I've been wondering.......Why so FEW death reports?.....Supposedly only something like 16 pet deaths have been 'reported'...?? Out of that much tonnage of shipped wheat gluten, I find that unbelievable!

We have 'lost' at least 6 cats. These were feral cats and or strays that over time, have taken up residence at our barn. We do feed all of them, usually see them every day, but we have 'rarely' had our hands on them.

We didn't actually know they were sick, til we began to find the dead and dying....the symptoms seemed like rat poisoning.....(we don't use it, but at first we thought perhaps we had a neighbor who'd put some out, and the cats had nabbed some sick mice.)

Oh yeah, we'd been feeding one of the brands that's been recalled...(not the pouch form, but canned.) That was over half of our wild little 'herd'....I'm betting the overall death figure is much higher, but without hundreds of little autopsys, how can we prove it?

[edit on 6-4-2007 by frayed1]

So few pet deaths ... according to the FDA ... and that's because they are only giving the # of confirmed deaths. The only confirmed deaths are the ones involved in the pet food trials by Menu Foods, a month before they did a recall, in which they lost 16 animals (35% of their test subjects) and another 45% of their test subjects came down with kidney problems but survived.

The FDA says they've have 8 to 9,000 reports of pet deaths from citizens around the states but aren't giving out that # because they are "unconfirmed" and there is no agency that confirms what an animal died of during an outbreak.

Here's an article from SFGate with all the details I just mentioned and with many more details of the timeline of the recall and problems surrounding the issue.

SF Gate Article

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The only way to half way protect the food supply of the United States of America is to buy grains, wheat and wheat by-products grown and processed in our own country and not overseas. I do not want some other government or country controlling our food supply. If it takes 3 weeks to detect contaminated pet food how long would it take our FDA to catch someone contaminating our food sources for human consumption intentionally.

I am sure our farmers would appreciate consumers buying U.S. grown wheat or grain. It could be labeled on our food that this is U.S. grown grains. I will pay extra to purchase products with U.S. grains. If we get totally dependent on other countries for our food we are in deep doo doo. Yes I know we are a world economy and have to buy certain grown vegtables and fruits else where but I am telling you we had better beware and protect our food supply. Rik Riley

[edit on 6-4-2007 by rikriley]

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I am surprised that more people aren't wondering if this 'accidental' poisoning is some sort of dry run for terrorism, or itself an act of terrorism.

One caller to CSPAN on Thursday morning called it that, but surely more people have had that same thought??

apc

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
The thought has of course entered my mind as I'm sure it has most. But to me, just the simple fact that China is craptacular in almost every aspect settles it. When you've got seriously underpaid workers, laughable sanitation procedures, and an immediate government coverup of most dangers to public safety, big surprise there's lethal chemicals in the food they sell. That's modern communism for yah.

At least all you have to worry about from stuff made here in the states is a little salmonella. I'll take bacteria over plastic chemicals any day.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Sorry about your cats Frayed. None of this really makes sense to me, how anyone could hurt some helpless animals it just disgusting. The fact Menu Foods knew weeks ahead of time and didn't stop it is just BS. I've wondered about this being a terrorist dry run, and if it was well we should be pretty scared.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
But to me, just the simple fact that China is craptacular in almost every aspect settles it. When you've got seriously underpaid workers, laughable sanitation procedures, and an immediate government coverup of most dangers to public safety, big surprise there's lethal chemicals in the food they sell.

Something like this is also high on my list of probable causes of the contamination, if it is accidental.

They don't worry about the saftey of their own public, I doubt they'd be too concerned about our saftey, and even less so about our animals.

Plus the 'cost' factor.....Say if your factory just ran a batch of fertilizer chemicals and then got a contract to run/bag a batch ingredients for cat food, would you opt for cleaning the equipment......a time consuming proceedure that's gonna cut into your profits, or would you just go ahead and run the cat food ingredient........

I'd bet they ( and otheres) cut corners like this all the time .....

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
More recalls

This list does not include the original pet food recalls. To check your product codes please refer to the websites of the brand your looking for.

4/6/07
Delmonte adds to recall & pulls more dates

added:Jerky treats,gravy train beef sticks, pounce meaty morsels, ol'roy wet food & treats, dollar general treats, happy trails treats & wet food, and DLM Foods Canada recalls jerky treats

Eight in One
jerky products

Alpo & Mighty Dog

Menu Foods (Canada & US)

Catfood:
Authority
nutro max cat gourmet
pet pride
sophistacat
science diet feline savory cuts can

Dogfood
Grreat choice
pet pride
springfield prize
stater brothers

Hills foods(no updates) still only Prescription Diet m/d Feline Dry food (only can be bought from vet)

Press release American Bullie A.B. Bull Pizzle Puppy & Dog Chews (made from all American beef pizzle)
Salmonella Problem
Following is a list of the affected products:

A.B. Small Chew, small, 3-4 inch
A.B. Puppy Chew, 4-6 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Medium, 6 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Large, 10 inch
A.B. Dog Chew XL, 13 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Mega, 16 inch
A.B. Dog Chew Jumbo, 26 inch

Sunshine Mills

Ol’Roy Peanut Butter Biscuit
Ol’Roy 4 Flavor Large Biscuit
Ol’Roy Puppy Biscuit

Stater Brothers Large Biscuit

Champion Breed Peanut Butter Biscuit
Champion Breed Large Biscuit
Companion’s Best Multi Flavor Biscuit
Perfect Pals Large Biscuit

Sunshine Brands Biscuits

Nurture Chicken & Rice
Nurture Lamb & Rice
Pet Life Large
Pet Life Extra Large
Pet Life Large Variety
Pet Life Large Peanut Butter
Lassie Lamb and Rice
Pet Life People Pleasers Dog Treats

Some of these are new brands others were on the original list but product codes have been expanded to include foods that were made back from November 2006. If anyone is unsure about what their feeding their pets (some of these include ferret treats as well) I would go to the product's website and check all press releases from March to April.

Pet Food tracker has mentioned Europen petfood recalls as well.

[edit on 9-4-2007 by strangefires]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join