It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet Food Recall Expands;Will human food be next?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
China has denied responsibilty for the pet food recall.

FDA researchers can't say for certain that it is melamine that has sickened and, in some cases, killed the animals. "The information in the scientific literature doesn't show the type of injury we're seeing," says Neal Bataller at the FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine.

"But there's a very strong association between the wheat gluten and these problem. We can't rule out melamine as a direct causative agent," Bataller says. But he also noted that the presence of melamine could merely be an indication that there's another, more dangerous, contaminant in the gluten.

FDA officials don't yet know how much wheat gluten came into the USA from Xuzhou Anying. The contaminated gluten entered the country between Nov. 3 and Jan. 23, Bataller says

Source

I just want to say I am so frustrated right now. I have two dogs and two cats, and they are pretty much part of my family. For all of the families out there that have lost pets or they are ill because of this, I wish you the best. I want people to be aware that (unlike what has been shown on the media) more than 14 animals have died. In fact, my mother's dog is experiencing kidney problems from this recall, as well as a friends cat who hasn't stopped vomiting for a week. And if I know of two cases out in the boondocks, I'm sure more of you know of some sick animals. Just out shopping today at walmart and stopping at a convinence store, both still had the recalled pet food on the shelf to sell. There's a reason the media isn't giving us all the facts. And instead putting blame on a country, as if doing so would make the problem feel far away, when it's not. It's right here probably on the shelves of your local grocery store.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Somewhat unrelated but had to add based on your Wal-Mart connection, when Con-Agra recalled the Peter Pan peanut butter for salmonella contamination: my local Wal-Mart had them displayed and price reduced for quick sale...

The lack of FDA naming names has a royal stink to it. Makes you wonder what all else has been unleashed or "recalled" on the public for "reaction and observation" purposes.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This is crapola. This whole thing does stink!

Why won't the FDA release the US Companies who are using this product - in whatever way - and giving it to Americans. This is a SERIOUS issue to our health and safety. I say we get a class action lawsuit and sue the FDA to tell the American public what companies are using the wheat gluten and in what products they've been used in and have them taken off the market and recalled.

It doesn't get much more blatant then this folks. The FDA are protecting american companies from prosecution and accountability. It's time somethings done about this -

first our pets....then us??

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
Somewhat unrelated but had to add based on your Wal-Mart connection, when Con-Agra recalled the Peter Pan peanut butter for salmonella contamination: my local Wal-Mart had them displayed and price reduced for quick sale...

You should be able to get some one's hide over that one......the store manager should have been issued orders to remove the tainted product from the shelves. The manufacturer would have had to bear the loss.....or their insurer, as it was damaged goods!

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
With globalisation and food being imported from other countries, a poisoning on a larger scale to humans is a catastrophe just waiting to happen.
I find it quite hilarious that they will stop you at customs with food stuffs at the ariport and check everything thoroughly.
But will let just out about anything into the country through the banner of free trade, with minimal checks. It doesn't make sense.

The end result at the very worst for the chinese company, will probably be a slap on the wrist and a hefty fine that they can probably afford anyway.
What about all the animal owners? I wonder if they will see a dollar in compensation?

This is very sad. Poor little animals.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I just got back from Wal-Mart and you guys were right. They are still selling "Special Kitty" cat food and all I could do was shake my head in disgust. They should know better than that. I've checked some online sources and so far Purina looks in the clear -- especially Fancy Feast Gourmet Chicken which doesn't use wheat gluton. I feed my cat Fancy Feast dry and wet (aforementioned flavor). She loves it and she has a nice girth and shiny coat. I know she's healthy because she mock battles my hand before naptime and her eyes are bright and clean. I hope you guys and gals out there do the best for your babies. They deserve clean food and water everyday since they can't provide for themselves they trust us. To all you animal owners and lovers out there -- I salute you.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
People, believe me or not but...

The cure for all these problems are very simple.

Do not watch CNN or any other corporate news media channels or resources...

No need to get into details but if it doesn't enter your consciousness it will not affect you.

These news channels are there for a reason and that reason is not for our good.

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
[edit on 2-4-2007 by PittsburghMike]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I'm sure it wont be long now before we wont be able to eat prepared foods we are so used to eating

My husband's boss's little puppy just died overnight- no rhyme or reason

I always thought endtimes would be rough, but this is ridiculous. Every is coming so fast its overwhelming, isnt it.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
The "tainted" wheat product can be produced locally and can be found in countries like Canada etc where you have a better understanding of what the product has gone through.

Why must they look to the cheapest sources that are questionable at best?

There will come a time when people understand how much quality food really is worth and start paying more for it.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
I hope this leads the FDA to look more into foods. I recently did a presentation on the Taco Bell brand taco shells that were made with genetically modified corn; the same corn which was only to be used as feed for livestock. Their taco shells spurred many allergic reactions and deaths, because no one looked into their ingredients.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by DJMessiah]

Im glad you brought up Tacobell, is it only a rumor that Taco Bell's meat they use in the tacos on the same grade level as dog food? Ive heard this from just people threw out my life.. This hold any truth? or just a rumor?

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
The "tainted" wheat product can be produced locally and can be found in countries like Canada etc where you have a better understanding of what the product has gone through.

Why must they look to the cheapest sources that are questionable at best?

There will come a time when people understand how much quality food really is worth and start paying more for it.

Exactly!

It's really hard to imagine why on Earth any U.S. or Canadian company would import wheat products at all, let alone from China. Aren't we both pretty much the world's breadbasket? I didn't even know China grew wheat, I thought they just had rice.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Actually, most of the food that we purchase from our supermarkets are very dangerous because they are loaded with chemicals designed to damage our bodies and keep us sick over a long period of time. The thing is... they're not gonna recall it. Why would they? It's too profitable for the food and drug industry.

For those with sick pets, get some homeopathic dandelion root and mix in a few drops in each meal. This saved my cat from kidney failure last year (not linked to this petfood recall). And don't feed them petfood. The majority of it is crap. You can make your much healthier meals for your pets at home.

Read these articles about what's in the grocery store food (and the food supply in general) and stick to fresh foods and vegetables as much as possible. Go organic if you can but even organic is becoming questionable as many industries try to jump on the organic bandwagon just for the money.

Everyday groceries contain ingredients that cause heart disease, diabetes, cancer, osteoporosis and other chronic diseases

Disease-promoting ingredients in everyday foods and groceries are far more dangerous than terrorists

Mediterranean diet heals; everyday American groceries kill

Functional foods gain in popularity, but health claims on most brand-name groceries mislead consumers

Trans fatty acids are public health hazard, says author of "Poison in the Food"

USDA approves genetically engineered rice that contaminated U.S. food supply; safety tests skipped

The health dangers of trans fats have been known for decades, yet food companies still poison customers with hydrogenated oils

Interview: Organic Consumers Association's Ronnie Cummins tells the truth about organic milk that isn't

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Um, The United States produces more wheat than any other two nations combined on the entire planet - so why on God's green Earth are we buying it from China and paying to have it shipped Aaaaaaaaallll the way over here to then put in pet food???
It would seem to me that there would be some type of grade "b" wheat not suitable for cereals and such that could be used right here in the good ole US of A, would it not? Wouldn't it seem that such basic building blocks of the food chain would be monitored and protected better than this?

Something smells very bad here... Me thinks that there is more to this whole fiasco than what they are telling us.

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Just an Update

China has become a larger supplier of wheat over the past decade. They and the EU supply the most in the world. China's wheat is also 10 cents cheaper a pound. China is also the leader of wheat gluten production and if you are eating foods with wheat gluten, there is more than a ninety percent chance it came from China.

The FDA has blocked the wheat gluten from this particular chinese province, but they still are unaware how much got into the country. They still haven't named the distributor, and all recall annoucements from pet food company's have convinently not named which distributor sold them the gluten. PETA is asking for a massive dry food recall, stating they have recieved numerous complaints from pet owners who are using foods not yet on the recall list. The FDA has stated their will be more recalls, but have yet to disclose the brand names. It is nearly impossible to list the hundreds of brand names, but be aware of the ingredients listed on your petfood.

FYI- IAMS petfoods have been found to have another chemical: Chromium tripicolinate which has not been approved for dog and cat consumption. Even after finding this the FDA has not issued a recall, instead blocking future use. This includes Eukanuba.

Source

Source II

Take care

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If animals are dying in testing then why are these greedy companies allowed to stay in business. Also if they are killing the poor test animals why are they given a chance to kill people's beloved pets.

What bothers me is that they wait until there are a lot of animal deaths being reported before they do some testing with live animals. The company said they first got reports of kidney damage Feb. 20, but one woman in the article had to have her dog put down due to sudden kidney failure in January. "She believed packages of Iams, Companion and Nutro-brand wet food were possibly to blame for the kidney-failure death of her 3-year-old dog Angel, a Labrador retriever mix."

So much for that wheat gluten excuse. Notice that the Menu Pet CEO admits to delaying the recall until it couldn’t be delayed any frurther. Wow, this is a guy who really inspires me to trust him with my pets’ health. Think its time for a new job for this guy? Every day he delayed the recall (and now there is strong suspician and evidence that he may have delayed it by MONTHS) was another day untold numbers of furbabies sickened and died. Unforgiveable and hopefully prosecutable!

Yet the shame is, if you lose your pet.. The only legal right you have is the amount you paided for your animal, and the vet bill... NOTHING else!!!
You are to live with your loss and STFU... Yeah what a lovely world we live in... Honestly Im to sick to go on... I know I need to research this even more, but I have pets. thank GOD I dont use that crap to feed them..
However I did use Pounce treats for my cats. Pounce treats are poison too!
Whats next us?

More sources.....

www.care2.com...

dogblog.dogster.com...

[edit on 3-4-2007 by zysin5]

Mod Edit: to apply external quote code, please review this link
Mod Edit: Posting work written by others, please review this link

[edit on 3-4-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I don't like where any of this is going... there could be something major behind this.

the regular news media isn't talking about it anymore... I wonder why..

We the sheeple, are being set up for something big...

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

ROCKVILLE, Maryland: The tainted wheat gluten that triggered a massive pet food recall also ended up in processing plants that prepare food consumed by people, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said.

It's in the people food too!

Here you go. The FDA has said that this wheat gluten has indeed entered into food plants where human food is produced. Yet they won't tell us what plant or the food stuff made there.
This just keeps getting bigger!

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It's horrenderous to read this story and heartbreaking to hear the personal accounts.

I have dogs myself and one thing I always keep in mind and I ask myself reading through the thread, is this:

It is YOU and NOT the industry who deciedes what your pet gets to eat.

The more hands from earth, sea, farm and land the food has to go through, the manifold greater the risk of manipulations and contaminations. Ever considered a commercial grocery product how many hands it might have passed through from the parts of which it is composed to the shelve? It'll be litterally hundreds, if not thousands.

We live in a rural sea-side community with our dogs, and what I'm about to say now could seem too easy to pull on a metropolian city dweller, but you CAN prepare your pet's food from basics and cut out the whole extracting, enrichment and improvement business by doing so.

Here's what we do. Every second day go to the local market and buy fish, put the half in fridge and prepare the rest when home. We mix it with cooked rice and serve it for the dogs. It will have passed no more than 3 or 4 hands then.

Our dogs thrive fine. They do get chicken and cooked pork bone as well. Less than 10% they get commercial dry fodder, and I'm careful what to pick there.

Some brands just make them hook and they don't wanna eat anything else. Clearly because some addicting substances is added.

MBF

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
Actually, most of the food that we purchase from our supermarkets are very dangerous because they are loaded with chemicals designed to damage our bodies and keep us sick over a long period of time. The thing is... they're not gonna recall it. Why would they? It's too profitable for the food and drug industry.

For those with sick pets, get some homeopathic dandelion root and mix in a few drops in each meal. This saved my cat from kidney failure last year (not linked to this petfood recall). And don't feed them petfood. The majority of it is crap. You can make your much healthier meals for your pets at home.

Read these articles about what's in the grocery store food (and the food supply in general) and stick to fresh foods and vegetables as much as possible. Go organic if you can but even organic is becoming questionable as many industries try to jump on the organic bandwagon just for the money.

I wouldn't say that all food purchased in supermarkets is dangerous, but the public wants a perfect looking large product and the only way to get this is load the plants up with nitrogen and water. If you do this you will get an attractive product, but to me it doesn't have a good taste and some vegetables will give you diarrea. I have no problem with the chemicals used on vegetables produced in the USA. I use them and I have no problem eating food that I produce where I have used them. The problem is from all the imported food from other countries. They use cheap chemicals that have been banned for decades from this country. If these chemicals are so bad, why can they bring food into this country that have them on them? Some of them use human waste for fertilizer. I think that was the problem with some strawberries in California a few years ago.

Just because a food is claimed to be organic doesn't mean squat. I know an organic farmer that buys regular produce and sells it as organic.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join