It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

What's the matter nef, you beat Fulham today...

...barely.

That's something isn't it?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I hate stereotypes.

Plain and simple. Does my head in. And after reading it and hearing it for over 30 years, I've kinda grown tired of it, and given than we're coming up on the 20th Anniversary of Hillsborough on the 15th April, when the stereotyping took on the most sinster, ugly and crassly offensive form that I've ever seen via the Sun newspaper, then I'm afraid the old wounds have opened up for me.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Are you talking about the Harry Enfield stuff?

It's all in good fun.

I am aware of the anniversary coming up and I expressed my feelings and respect on it a couple of pages ago.

I apologize if being lighthearted about the upcoming CL games was perceived as offensive. It surely wasn't meant that way.

I have to admit I'm a little confused.

[edit on 4 Apr 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I agree.

At the same time, I know Sdog didn't mean any harm.

For those who don't know:
www.redandwhitekop.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Well we left it late...but we did it

And yeah... the whole shell-suit wearing , stereo-robbing, scummy scouser thing is a little tired and insensitive

[edit on 4/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
And yeah... the whole shell-suit wearing , stereo-robbing, scummy scouser thing is a little tired and insensitive

Wait, can someone please explain it to me cause I'm honestly confused.

I lived in the UK from 94-99 when Harry Enfield was pretty big at the time. I remember my own friends from Liverpool coming to me and doing the accent and the whole shtick for a laugh.

They all thought it was harmless fun.

Has this changed?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   

I'm not getting into anything man.
I know you didn't mean it in a malicious way... but stereotypes in general are just silly.

Would you go to a bar in Alabama and say that they are all inbred?

And with the anniversary of Hillsborough coming up... is it really worth taking the piss?

As i said, I'm not saying you meant it nastily or did anything highly offensive but just have a little more consideration, that's all.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

nearly 20 years ago, 96 people from Liverpool died at a football match.

the sun newspaper stereotyped the liverpool fans as theives, who looted the dead and urinated on the dying - sensationalised allegations that were completely false - and were admitted to being so - but not until a long time after.

its not the "Harry Enfield" side of it per se - its just that, at this time of year - and particularly because of the anniversary....jeez, its hard to explain it to someone who just has no connection with it at all.

imagine people taking the piss out of New Yorkers just before a 9/11 anniversary. wouldn't be well received, would it?

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

This is what I posted a couple of pages ago:

Oh man what a terrible day for Liverpool, Forest, and football in general.

I believe the anniversary is coming up soon.

Many lessons learned from that tragedy, unfortunate that it had to come to that for changes to be made. Yet I was just reading of another such event just this last weekend in Africa.

My best wishes to all Liverpool fans on their day of remembrance.

If I was being inconsiderate just now then you all have my sincerest apologies.

I honestly was not aware that friendly "smack talk" was considered offensive during this period.

Hopefully you will chalk it up to cultural misunderstanding because truly no offense or disrespect was meant by it.

I'm sorry.

I guess I will leave this thread alone, I hate feeling like this.

Kandinsky, sorry mate, we'll do another bet some other time.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

It's a sensitive time mate - that's why I told you a few days ago that the Hillsborough 20th is coming up.

I know you mean no harm, it's just

well

read the link

There was a lot of lies in the press, by the police, and in the inquest - a lot of it is still very sensitive.

[edit on 4/4/2009 by budski]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Exactly...they still burn the papers now.

That's what got me....the whole BS "robbing dead bodies" thing....just sick.
That whole episode was just wrong man.....

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

i know you meant nothing bad by it.

its a difficult situation, and unless you were there, or saw the news, read the papers, heard the radio etc, the stuff that happened, what got said, what got printed... you'd never know.

don't sweat it. I'm probably being over sensitive. its a difficult thing.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

As i said... i know you didn't mean it and i don't really have an issue with you (on this) but you must understand that it's a little sensitive.....

I know you said a couple of pages back it was bad..

anyway, no worries man.

[edit on 4/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

imagine people taking the piss out of New Yorkers just before a 9/11 anniversary. wouldn't be well received, would it?

Nef, that is really unfair.

I lived 20 blocks from the towers on 9/11.

I agree anyone coming to me at any time and mocking the events of that day would be reprehensible. But I did not do that regarding the upcoming tragic anniversary, I can't even conceive of a person that would do that.

Now if someone pokes friendly, light hearted and well meaning fun at New Yorkers in general, in my and most New Yorkers book that would be just fine on any day.

Once again please accept my apologies.

I don't know what else to say.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Shro dog, Blups, Nef, Buds, everyone be happy Liverpool won and is on top of the ladder.

I think Shro was quite cool, he actually left he thread a bit back to give Hills respect, and has later come back to join in fun, and he really isnt meaning to be rude.

Shro you keep it lively, and I'll take you up still on that bet. Lets get back to talking Footy

I just want to live in the moment and the glory of the enemy's defeat/hiding/pummeling.

Peace out Zazz
Edit: The man has sincerely apologised and where I come from, you accept them graciously and move on..

[edit on 4-4-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
c'mon guys sdog wasn't takin the p*ss.i'll take the bet too..even though i hope rafa plays the u18's in the champs league tie's.couldn't give a toss about it,i want the league!

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
All of my family are Liverpudlians and a cousin was badly injured at Hillsborough. I don't buy The Sun and I also resent a lot of scouser stereotypes. In crime statistics, Liverpool isn't top 10 in anything. I've got the Liver Bird tattooed on the top of my right arm and stay there once a month. I'm allowed to make a point on this...

Schrodinger didn't offend me in the slightest. He meant no offense. The bet was to use the club badge as an avatar for 24 hours after each game. No stereotypes involved. A sporting bet with some element of banter and shame involved is traditional!

If you want to keep with the bet, I'm still game.

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by aylyan
c'mon guys sdog wasn't takin the p*ss.i'll take the bet too..even though i hope rafa plays the u18's in the champs league tie's.couldn't give a toss about it,i want the league!
The league is definitely the goal! There's a whole generation that have never known LFC to be league champs. Both would be nice...but I'm still looking at one match at a time......

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Want the league too...

And you should not P.U.I.

Not a good idea..

Edit to add.... COME ON VILLA!!!!!!!!

[edit on 5/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

P.U.I puzzled me for a moment there. You meant no :w:?? I agree! I shouldn't make bets whilst 'slightly tipsy' either. Look at the trouble it's caused! I don't think anyone set out to offend anyone else, it's just a misunderstanding. Full English, no mushrooms awaits...better than aspirin...

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join