It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
After a prolonged absence, I find my way back to this thread

Big night tonight. I actually think its make or break for the season. Massive psychological advantage to go into the derby match, win it and go top of the league. Will say an awful lot about our character if we do it.

If we don't...then its advantage to industrial estate on the other end of the '56.

Its in our hands, basically.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
What a strange couple of days, but it has been on the cards that keane would be gone.

He just didn't fit into Rafa's favourite 4-2-3-1

And there's also the alleged boardroom power struggle between parry and rafa to consider.....

I hope Rafa gets what he wants in his new contract - we've missed out on too many players because of Parry dragging his feet.
Vidic and Ronaldo are the 2 that spring to mind.

That said, it was a good result yesterday - I actually feel a bit sorry for Lamps, but at the same time, it seemed clear that he was not in control of the slide and he had his foot pretty high with studs up.

We were bossing the game, and we may even have scored earlier if Lamps hadn't gone off, as they would have had to start opening up, instead of just trying to shut the door.

Nando looks like he is getting back to his best, and hopefully we can bag a win in the cup on wednesday.

I'm not sure we can win it - but we have been stronger in the 2nd half of the season every year under rafa, so fingers crossed

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Whilst it did seem inevitable that Keane was going to go I still find it very strange.
Why pay that much for him and then never really give him a chance?
Many quality players have taken much longer to settle into a new team and he never really had a decent run in the team.
I think he always felt pressurised.
It also leaves Liverpool very thin on the ground up front.
I just can't get my head around selling someone of his quality when you are still challenging in Europe and for domestic honours without bringing in a quality replacement.
Seems absolutely crackers to most of us neutrals.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Hi all you fellow Liverpool fans, Mintwithahole, live from Liverpool here. Keane went because he couldn't replicate his Tottenham form for Liverpool. He didn't fit into the system. A system which revolves around Gerrard. What the reds really need is another Ian Rush. Someone who is impossible to mark and who roams around the area infront of the four midfielders. A linking player who can hold the ball and allow supporting players dropping deep from the midfield to eneter the box. At the moment we seem to stop 30 yards out and pass back and forward in front of the opposing teams defenders looking for a way through. That is why so many of our goals come from 25 and 30 yard screamers usually hit by Gerrard. I think Ryan Babel could be the player who could unlock defences. What say you?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I was thinking about this whole Keane thing...

I think Parry bought Keane and hoped Rafa would use him, rather than Rafa specifically targetting the player.

And I think thats what's been at the crux of Rafa's contract negotiations, because he would probably have liked to spend the £20milling on his own player.

Rafa's contract negotiations have probably just been considerably smoothed out, and I don' think its much of a coincidence that the owners were in the country when it all happened.

Will be interesting to see where it all goes from here eh?

[edit on 4/2/09 by neformore]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
An excellent article here by Paul Tomkins.

Meanwhile, we have the replay tonight and we'll hopefully go through - that coupled with a win against pompey at the weekend could see us shift up a gear and start firing on all cylinders.

With the champions league restarting soon and games coming think and fast, it's getting to the business end of the season.

Can we still catch up to utd?
Of course we can - utd will slip up between now and the end of the season, we just have to make sure we slip up less.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
slightly off topic, and probably more attune in the spurs thread. but surely bringing Keano and Defoe back, just gives Spurs the same problem they had before, with 2 strikers that inevitably don't play well together, which will leave one of them on the bench again. Which is why Defoe left in the forst place. Doesn't seem logical to me.

Anyway. Good luck Liverpool, for the rest of the season. i think your chances of winning have gone. But aslong as you finish above Le Arse, i don't care

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
So....

Its "bye Rick, and thanks for all the fish".

And a new contract for Rafa by the looks of it.

Now why couldn't they have come up with that just before Christmas when we were 6 points in front?

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Because Parry is the archetypal survivor - it's been clear for some time he was hanging on by his fingernails, but he hung in there hoping that the conflict between hicks and gillett would resolve itself in his favour.

Now that Rafa will be given more control over transfers, it will be interesting to see WHEN players are brought in - if he gets his way they will come in very early in the transfer window.

Then we have the due loans at the end of the season - we may see new owners before too much longer, certainly in the next 4-5 months, IF it's going to happen...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Well there goes the title, that was a hideously depressing game to watch.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Liverpool 4, Real Madrid 0

Liverpool win 5-0 on aggregate.

Thats not something that you see every day, is it ?

We go to the Bernabau, and we beat Real Madrid 1-0.

We lose 2-0 to Middlesborough

We play Real Madrid at Anfield and spank them 4-0.

Thats why I love this club. Never a dull moment eh?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Bloody hell!

4-0 against Real, now 4-1 against man U (re)
We played REALLY well today, and vidic had a nightmare.

Again we played with pace and intensity, and opened them up a LOT.

Then again, if we are hitting our peak, it's a little late.

I think man u will still win the title - but it wouldn't be the first time that a team folded under pressure.

Can't see it happening, but you never know...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
4-1, against Man U, at Old Trafford. It doesn't get much sweeter than that, does it

I personally can't see them losing three games on the bounce, or us winning all of our remaining games. But Istanbul taught me anything is possible, and so I have hope.

Only at the end of the season will we know for sure

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

They only have to draw 2 and lose 1 nef.

They also only have a gd of +5 now, and if we keep banging the goals in we can catch that.

I don't buy into all this UTD are untouchable nonsense - they have had large slices of luck for a while now.
Maybe that is turning...

We have 9 more games and a possible total of 88 points - a fairly low points total to win the league (comparitively) but stranger things have happened

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It's a pleasant surprise to see a dedicated Liverpool FC thread. Today's result was more than I dreamed of. Beat the beggars home and away and no matter what they win, we can say, "Meh. You couldn't beat us though, could you?"

Sir Alex before the game..

Sir Alex after the game...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Don't you mean MISTER ferguson?

or whiskey nose...

or fungusface...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Absolutely amazing game today.

Watched it with a mate who's a Man Utd fan so it couldn't have been any sweeter

Best win at their ground since 1936....

Ahhhh I'm on cloud nine...

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
rafa's signed for another 5

now all we need to do is get to work on the new ground..we lose something like £500 000 a week to utd just cos they have the bigger stadium.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Bloody hell, chelsea AGAIN???

Ah well, I'd still fancy us to go through - of course

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
that's a killer draw,specially if were both still in the league race when the matches come up.been like this the last several seasons with the champs league/league etc.too cool

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join