It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liverpool FC Thread

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

yup....posting under the influence is never good.... but that brekkie sounds awesome man

I know no offense was meant...i said so in my posts, but i also understood why nef was a bit annoyed.
As i said....don't P.U.I.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I for one didn't take any offence there dog, but you have to understand that scouse nerves are a little taught around this time of year.
As for the show down with Chelski!
Todays papers are saying that Chelski will have three chances to beat the mighty reds. . .
No chance, little chance and sod alls chance!
There was also a letter in the local paper which said,
"If Liverpool beat Chelsea then I'm a Dutchman. . . "
Unfortunately for Chelsea it was signed, Van der Volk !

Justice 4 the 96.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well I've changed my avatar for this week now.

I hope that, in the 20th anniversary year, we can win either the PL, or the CL again.

It would be a fitting tribute, I think.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I thought he canceled the bet?! Otherwise I'd be sporting Russian Blue too
Well whatever, that was surely an unexpected result last night. If any English club has the will to comeback from a home defeat like that, it's the Reds in Europe.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Cancelled? He happily u2u me the image! But gave me respite from 1 week to 24 hours....3 hours to go...zazz

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Exactly....3-0 down at halftime to A.C. Milan...... anything is possible man.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Oh dear! Gerrard's fitness.. Chelsea and Arsenal coming up and we need to win everything now. We've won games without him, but whilst the pressure's on, he's gotta be a calming presence on the park.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Yeah....i saw on the news.

Don't worry....we have Lucas

I can't stand Lucas, he's terrible and Rafa insists on playing him...grrrrrr

William Hill bookmakers go 66/1 for Liverpool to win the Champions league and the Premier league

Gotta be worth a quid right??

In all seriousness.... It's not looking good.
I haven't really thought at any point we'd win the league though.
I remember a couple of seasons back when we were 12 points clear at the top, with at least a game in hand.... 2-3 months to go.... and still screwed it up.

Ahhhhh to be a Liverpool fan eh??

:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Lucas to Rafa is like Baros was to Houlier near the end!

You're right about LFC. Our motto has been "next season" for sooooooooooo long. We're still in CL and PL, but I've been cautious about getting those hopes up since before glorious 2001. I'd take that £1 bet, but as mentioned in earlier post, my bets have the power to change time and space. I can't win. Look at the Chelsea win...my fault for betting Schro

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

true about baros.... or similar to Djimi traore
where do our managers find these guys??
My bets have a similar effect... not good.

And yep....we've had some awesome times recently for sure (2001, 2005 et al), just as you say....every season is now a "next season" season.

Well, like tomorrow....it never comes....soon next season is this season, then last season.... Grrrrrrrr.

We're still in them for sure, if man utd mess up again, we'll be laughing.
But to go to Stamford bridge and beat chelsea by at least 3 goals..... now that's gonna be tough

[edit on 10/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Lucas needs some time.

That's all.

He was player of the year in Brazil when he played for Gremio, and is a full Brazilian international.

He is struggling to adapt to the physical nature of the EPL simply because he's not the biggest, or the quickest.

He has the potential to be an inspirational player for us, and it says a lot that he is hugely respected by both Rafa, and players like Stevie and Nando.

It doesn't help that he is booed by a selection of idiots who have the nerve to call themselves fans.

Remember how Fletcher was castigated at Man Ure, but has now come good?

Lucas is our Fletcher, but with more talent.

Time will prove me right, even if he moves on.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
Lucas needs some time.
That's all.
He was player of the year in Brazil when he played for Gremio, and is a full Brazilian international.

He's had 3 caps and was sent off in one of those

He is struggling to adapt to the physical nature of the EPL simply because he's not the biggest, or the quickest.
He has the potential to be an inspirational player for us, and it says a lot that he is hugely respected by both Rafa, and players like Stevie and Nando.

Being respected by and them being polite about him are massively different things man.
He has good feet and he can pass the ball....but his reading of the game, composure, tacking and other attributes are sadly lacking.
we have gerry, xabi and masch in center mid.... we don't need lucas....he's a liability, he's already cost us points this season.

Lucas is our Fletcher, but with more talent.
Time will prove me right, even if he moves on.

we'll see man.... i highly doubt it though.
Fletcher is mediocre too.... a good squad player..

But Lucas needs to go....if we're serious about challenging for titles, we can't play someone like him regularly.
maybe loan him out to another PL club...who knows?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

He's only 22

and in Rafa I trust

Or are you saying you're a better judge of a player

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

exactly....by 22 owen, rooney and many others had many more caps than three.
granted, brazil have slightly better players than us

And of course I'm a better judge of player than Benitez...

Voronin
Lucas
M Gonzalez
Kronkamp
Morientes
Leto
A Baraghan
Josemi
A Nunez
Paletta
Pennant
Zenden

need i go on?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
It was really pitiful Liverpool didn't play like they did against Real Madrid (at home)... that time they were playing such a quality football! What do you guys think of Babel?

Being an Ajax supporter I, and many others, thought Liverpool was crazy to pay 17 million EUR for him and I still think it is a price way too high. The guy really is talented, but at the time he was not good enough for Liverpool in my opinion. And now he's getting way too little time to show what he's got. Perhaps Benitez should have accepted the loan request Ajax offered Liverpool this winter. Anyhow, next season you can buy our star player for 40 million GBP: Luis Suarez.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

you can't expect every 22 year old to pull up trees, particularly after coming from south america.

I think you'll find voronin, peanut and leto are out on loan and doing well at their respective clubs.

There's also the fact that rafa had to rebuild from scratch, and players he brought in were pretty much sold at a profit, with the odd exception.

He's also bought
Reina
arbeloa
aurelio
riera
torres
masch
alonso
skrtel
agger
benayoun
insua
kuyt
and a whole host of really talented younsters including nemeth and pacheco to name but 2.

He's also brought in one the best backroom staffs in the world.

So forgive me if I give his opinion (and the Liverpool players) more weight than yours, particularly as he has a record comparable with any of the great liverpool managers if judged on win percentage.

he has also got us playing level 3 football more often than not this season - a feat which took SAF considerably longer.

Also tell me who has a perfect transfer record - certainly not SAF or wenger.

Lucas will be a good player for us, as long as he continues to develop - by your criteria, players should be fully developed by 22 (where's owen now?) when in reality many players don't start to blossom until they approach their mid twenties.

You don't become brazilian player of the year by accident, and I am prepared to give him time, simply because I accept the realities of the situation rather than playing arm chair manager and trying to second guess one of the best managers in the world.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski

So forgive me if I give his opinion (and the Liverpool players) more weight than yours, particularly as he has a record comparable with any of the great liverpool managers if judged on win percentage.

Clearly humour is lost on you mate....
I was saying it tongue in cheek?

he has also got us playing level 3 football more often than not this season - a feat which took SAF considerably longer.
Also tell me who has a perfect transfer record - certainly not SAF or wenger.

Oh i haven't knocked benitez or his management of the club, just saying that he HAS bought some pretty poor players.... and Lucas IS one of them

I think he's the best manager we've had in ages, and why you're trying to imply otherwise is beyond me...
Chill out....this is a fun thread.

Lucas will be a good player for us, as long as he continues to develop - by your criteria, players should be fully developed by 22 (where's owen now?) when in reality many players don't start to blossom until they approach their mid twenties.

No he won't, he's garbage and needs to go.
And i wasn't saying 22 was the age he had to be good at, it's just that that happens to BE his age.
And i was pointing out that many other players have far more caps at that age than Lucas.... so your "he's a full international" comment is pretty redundant

You don't become brazilian player of the year by accident, and I am prepared to give him time, simply because I accept the realities of the situation rather than playing arm chair manager and trying to second guess one of the best managers in the world.

No you don't, but most decent Brazilians are already out of Brazil by the time they're 17-19, so it's not exactly an achievement.
And many players start off with promise and get worse.
Michael owen, Francis jeffers, even pennant....i can't be arsed to go on.

Try being a little less hostile my friend

This is a fun thread and i was being a little cheeky at worst...not rude

[edit on 11/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I'm not being hostile - simply pointing out that IMO Lucas is a good player.

And also in the opinion of not only Rafa, but the rest of the coaching staff and senior squad - so your opinion means very little, other than portraying arrogance that you somehow know better than the entire management team and playing staff at Liverpool.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Which part of this quote did you not get?

Originally posted by blupblup
Clearly humour is lost on you mate....
I was saying it tongue in cheek?

HUMOUR.... i was joking.... of course Benitez knows more than me??
I was having fun, being sarcastic?

Gee you're a barrel of laughs mate....

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join