It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best RPG ever?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
When it first came out (I mean beta and day 1 through about the first 3 months)...EverQuest was the bomb...

A lot of the ability of Ultima Online, but 3 dimensional... I was addicted for quite some time, and even cooperated with other guild leaders to have our own roleplay stories, etc. within the game (even got some mod help in that).... Of course, this was before it became a campfest for items...

For me, it was more about playing than items...but eventually, the politics of running a guild was no longer something I wanted to do... At least we were true to our vision though. We had an evil guild, just Dark Elves, Trolls, and Ogres... Most others simply allowed everything and had no purpose or RP element to them at all...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
FF7 has to be the best rpg ever closely followed by Xenogears and FF tactics

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

For me, it was more about playing than items...but eventually, the politics of running a guild was no longer something I wanted to do... At least we were true to our vision though. We had an evil guild, just Dark Elves, Trolls, and Ogres... Most others simply allowed everything and had no purpose or RP element to them at all...

I feel ya there. It was all about the RP and being in a place of magic. I played my part and spoke like a Britanian. Then some teenager would walk up and say "sup" and it would break the illusion.

It would be really cool to have a MMPRPG where everyone was of like minds and get lost in that world for a few hours a day. I used to do all nighters and then have to go to work!

Good times.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm dating myself here, but the Phantasy Star series for the old SEGA Master System & Genesis was amazing. It basically did what Final fantasy was doing, only better. Overall, it's the favorite genre of my childhood, only surpassed when the golden age of FPS games came out and I discovered I have an inate abillity at shooters. I have far too many favorite RPGs to narrow it all down very far.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Talk about dating yourself, when the very first Zelda came out I was tickled. One of the reasons I almost flunked out of freshman year...at college lol Then came FF - when it first came out they had an additional challege to be one of the first to finish - you had to take a polaroid pic and send it in lol

I really dig Oblivon. Curious as to what's good out there right now, I'm ready to move on.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i sompleted fallout 3 well the main story anyways and am currently playin oblivion. very good games. final fantasy 7 is THE GREATEST. currently playing ff8 which is also awesome.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I have to toss out a couple of amazing RPGs that it still surprises me some have not played.

ChronoTrigger

Secret of Mana

For me, these two games are some of the best ever made. They were both on the Super Nintendo, so didn't have all the fancy graphics that games rely on these days. Still, the storylines in these games were absolutely amazing and the gameplay incredibly enjoyable.

posted on Mar, 3 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
For me it was Planescape Torment offline, and Ultima online.
No other MMO since has come close to the freedom of that game.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I'm gonna do a top 5 out of the RPG's I've played...

Top 5 -
Terranigma (some of the best music, deepest philosphy, very nice designs)
Saga Frontier 2 (Beautiful, fast, fluid, 99% perfection)
Vagrant Story (awesome)
Chrono trigger (equal best with terranigma for music)
Final Fantasy 7

Runner ups: Alundra & Zelda: Minnish Cap

Special mention: Diablo (2 player on playstation with controller shortcuts maxed)

others i've played - diablo 2, breath of fire 3 & 4, ff 1-10, Suikoden, front mission 3, Valkyrie Profile, Saga Frontier, legend of zelda series on snes & 64, harvest moon (snes), mario RPG, mario & luigi superstar saga, evolution, skies of arcadia, shenmue, wild arms...and a couple others I can't remember...

been checking out chrono cross & xenogears recently in my spare time (but only just started playing them) & with all the graphics enhancements on epsxe they scrub up pretty great.

-B.M

[edit on 16/8/10 by B.Morrison]

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
My personal favorite is Final Fantasy VI.

TheAssoc.

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Chrono Trigger is bar none the best RPG in the history of RPGs everywhere.

So my vote is Chrono Trigger.

Great music, awesome battles (mutli character combo moves) the most Epic story.....

So what if it's SNES Graphics... SO what if it's not all high tech and fancy. It is awesome without all the bells and whistles.

[edit on 23-8-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Aug, 24 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here is something to add on that

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
FFVI or Xenogears. I'd probably lean toward Xenogears if I could only choose one. It's hard to get into for the first four hours or so, but after that, it blows all other RPGs away.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Secret of Mana

or

Super Mario RPG

Still waiting for a Sequel, Nintendo!!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hmmmm tough decision on my all time fave but the following are some that i've really enjoyed over the years.

Baldurs Gate - The orginal and the best. That takes some beating since it spawned a whole host of games.
Planescape Torment - Absolutely awesome story and totally different humour!

Fallout 1 & 2
Knights of the old Republic - Lightsabers!!!!
Dragon Age: Origins - Something newer that totally rocked! 100's of hours put into this one.

There are many others but those have to be the pick of my all time favourites.

posted on Sep, 9 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Back in the days, I really liked Final Fantasy VII. The story, the characters, the music, the game mechanics... Wow! What a game it was!

posted on Sep, 10 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
So I am really going to date myself here. There are many games that I love, but only one game hooked me forever into the realm of RPG.

I miss the days of having my boom box next to my Commodore 64 blasting Ray Parker Jr. and his Ghostbuster song, and playing Ultima II until my hands looked like claws from 12 hour marathons. Ultima II hooked me several decades ago, and I still love RPG's to this day, even getting my non-rpg wife, to become a super RPG player and expert Guild Wars player herself (for the record hun, if you read this, Diablo II kicks Guild Wars butt, sorry).

Since I remember the days of bulky phone modems and the games we could sneak away with for free even back in the 80's, I have a real problem paying online fees nowadays, so I am still power clicking through hordes of monsters with my Whirlwind Barbarian on Diablo II, as I anxously await Diablo III.

Honorable mentions include: Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate, D&D, Guild Wars, Champions of Norrath, and the rest of the Ultima line (well, I did not like Ultima III that much compared to the rest).

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Best First Person RPG is Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven

It is so much more balanced than Oblivion. When I got a billion $ and the beefiest elemental sword (that was easy to recharge) Oblivion felt incredibly broken and I quit playing

I think the lesson I learned is that you should beat that game first before using any strategy guides or else the game becomes too easy. I don't like it when RPGs allow you to become a killing god so easily. There should be caps and whatnot in RPGs to prevent them from feeling like you are playing with GAME GENIE on.

edit on 14-9-2010 by patriots4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ok, so it seems obviously "taboo" to mention this game, but I'm going to anyway.

Since the OP didn't say MMORPG's weren't supposed to be included.

The best RPG ever is World of Warcraft by a landslide.

Nearly every game that has been mentioned in this thread I've played, and beaten/finished. WoW still easily wins.

If I had to choose a non MMO I'd have to pick two.

FFVII (Final Fantasy 7)
Morrowind: The Elder Scrolls

posted on Sep, 14 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Ultima online for far too many reasons...

I've lost too many hours of my life to that game.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join