It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best RPG ever?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
currently my favorite would have to be the fallout series... i cannot get enough play time in!! ever!!! next to that, i've only played one FF, it was one of the early ones, can't remember which, but i just didn't get into it... i think i'm more of the action rpg, but there was a game like a decade ago called Age of Wonders, which was turn based and still addicting to me today... besides those, of course the elder scrolls series, morrowind and oblivion, i love oblivion, but there was something about the way morrowind was that i enjoyed more... oblivion is completely consuming with such an expansive world (not unlike fallout)...can't wait for elder scrolls V

posted on Dec, 6 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
the older games I would say xenogears, crono trigger, and ff7. For the newest games that came out this generation I have to say demonsouls, it was fun interesting and the old school style of game play were if you die you have to start all over, which made you think and not just run blindly ahead because you could just restart from were you died. Demon souls is still a game I play now and again even though I beat it more then once.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
There are different arts that an RPG can be "best" at

Most Entertaining
Best Replay Value
Best Looking
Funnest
Most Epic Storyline

And then, with the slew of these RPGs spread over time....you have to consider the graphics/mechanics of the game based on the year it came out.

I like to sometimes focus more on the people behind the games, rather than the actual games themselves. Usually a good "team" of artists can always produce quality work together. FF7, Xenogears for sure, the team working on that was the dream team for its time.

Then there is Hideo Kojima who stands on his own pedestal, creating the genre of Tactical Stealth Action RPG.

I believe the best RPG has yet to be created.

Hold on to your hats for Xenoblade!! Looks pretty sick =)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Im glad to see that there really knows their stuff! Xenoblade should hit state side next year unless nintendo of America decides otherwise

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
dark chronicle (dark cloud 2) is one of my favourite rpg's.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Oblivion without a shadow of a doubt for me
I'd kill for a MMORPG like Oblivion but with player housing

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
AD&D the best every

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent
AD&D the best every

You sir are quite correct.

What edition do you play?

I'm a fan of 2nd.

--

Also started playing Eve online now, an MMORPG Sci-fi roleplay game.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

First edition

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga - PS2
2. Parasite Eve - PSX
3. Star Ocean: Til the End of Time - PS2
4. Final Fantasy X - PS2
5. Ressonance of Fate - PS3 (aka End of Eternity)
6. Super Robot Teisen - DS
7. Front Mission 4 - PS2
8. Shadowhearts - PS2
9. Samurai Spirits/Samurai Showdown RPG? - Neo Geo CD (was an old very rare neo-geo cd rpg)
10. Shadowrun - SNES (i had more fun with this one than the genesis version)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Neverwinter Nights for PC was pretty good. I also remember enjoying Summoner and Summoner 2 on the PS2, although I don't remember anything about those games. World of Warcraft also, of course.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
RPG's are nothing without the following:
+ Xenogears
+ Planescape Torment
+ Legacy of Kain
-----------------------
+ FF4,6,7,8 (in order)
+ Suikoden II
+ Vagrant Story
+ Nier
+ Lost Odyssey

This is a compilation of the most compelling RPG's since video game history. So much so that they challenge books in how magnificently their plots were composed. You literally don't know RPGs if you haven't played any one of the top three. Because those are the titles that continues to enlighten its audience for ages to come.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by iCEdTenG

Zelda ocarina of time, it was very very good, and fully worth the money.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

It is, but its not an RPG. Its an adventure platformer. Thats a common misconceptions among gamers.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Heaps of good suggestions.

For me, the most epic RPG would have to be Baldurs Gate 2. Amazing storyline, massive quests and great NPC's make it my favorite game of all time.

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Too many pages to read though so if anyone mentioned this im sorry...

Neverwinter nights is considered the "best" RPG of all time....

It won 86 awards from various places.........still unbeaten as far as i know

And this game is old too...

nwn.bioware.com...
edit on 20-1-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Neverwinter was a great game!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by GambitVII
reply to post by andy1033

It is, but its not an RPG. Its an adventure platformer. Thats a common misconceptions among gamers.

I always thought and read it was a rpg.

So my choice anyway, have not really played many of the other suggestions here.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
While the main quest of Oblivion wasn't that interesting, the assassin's guild quests storyline was nice. And, you could do each mission a variety of ways, and be creative. Same with the thieves' guild questline.

Like one of the first assassin jobs, to kill a boat captain. You can either hide in the crates (like the other assassins suggest, or the prompt if you check out the boxes), or you could walk on board and slay everyone (crew and all), if you were strong enough. (I wasn't as a starting character). Or, I simply jumped from the dock while being sneaky (and out of the line of sight of the guarding pirates) at night....picked the tricky lock on the captain's cabin...snuck in, and killed him with a sneak attack or two. I looted the place quick, and when the pirates started breaking out the door, I went out the same way I came in, dove into the water (popping my water breathing potion), and watched as they drowned trying to swim after me!

Also, I played a vampire for most of it, which certainly required a little creativity (like establishing hidey holes for the daytime hours, and brewing up a potion that would continuously heal, to counteract some of the sun damage, at least for a time). I loved how you could create your own custom potions (mine was called Sunblock 5000, hehe...).

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Oblivion was by far the best rpg I ever played.

Gazork's post is one reason why,you can play it over and over again many different ways.

Skyrim comes out later this year.Man,I can't wait.

Till then I'm going to give Morrowind GOTY Ed. a shot.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join