It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the best RPG ever?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Final Fantasy VII.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Eyesofthemothman

I used to think that... until I expanded my library to much more 'immaculate' titles.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by GambitVII

Hmm, what are you referring to by that? I'll admit VII came out during the height of my RPG-playing days, and so I haven't had the chance to play all that many recent RPG's. (Nonetheless, I firmly believe VII is the best of all the FF's. I have kept up with those, and felt it's been slowly downhill ever since.)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

FFVII is the most overrated RPG I have ever played, don't get me wrong I think it's a great game but doesn't deserve the title of best RPG ever.... You can flame me all you want but I prefer FFX over FFVII any day of the week... I would have to say Oblivion is a tough one to beat, but I'm waiting on the next Elder Scrolls to see if it can be beaten ( I hope so)...

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Ah, it seems people either think FFVII is the best RPG or they think it's overrated. Which kinds of makes sense. I'd also have to rank Everquest pretty close to FFVII--far more addicting, just as fun and larger in scope, though not as aesthetic.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

I'm going backwards in time to play them all. I've made a list a few pages back. Don't get me wrong, FFVII is up there, but it doesn't touch some of the overlooked titles because of how much games overshadow others in the market.

Here's an a example of the of the very best. It's one of those games that 'expands peoples perspectives' in a positive sense. Only those who have had the privileged to play it would know. Try not to read the comments in the video. they might spoil something.

edit on 29-1-2011 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

If you look carefully at the two titles and how it's constructed "ffx and ffvii", 7 is a much more intuitively constructed piece of work and certainly deserves praise. "best RPG ever" is usually the term used by people who started out with FF7. As good as it is, I don't blame them. But i've played better after much exploration, but only a few that are.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Xenogears: One of the few games I'm sad not to have gotten all the way through.

Don't remember the reason why. I only got a short ways after Billy joins the team, to the point of climbing up the large tower in the gears.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
For me Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are the best RPG games...
The RPG's I played most is probably Pokemon Blue (good old times).

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Probably because the platforming was kind of broken at the tower part.
In any case, the stories memorizing enough to raise the standard of expectations for veteran gamers, and I regret having underestimated for so long.

If your looking for modern RPGs to touch the PS1-2 era games, NIER is the closest to that kind of game within the past year. its one of this generations best RPG.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I will also readily admit Xenogears has some of the best music of any RPG. Including this gem:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
im gonna say ffVII, i dont usually like to admit it, as i usually get called a 'fanboy' etc. but i didnt even know what an 'rpg' was until i played that game. and becoming hooked on rpg's since that game.i still think it was one of the best ive played.
also dark chronicle (ps2) deffinatly deserves a mention.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Oh most definitely. Yasunori Mitsuda is a legend in the gaming music industry, as he has worked on numerous titles. All of which have outstanding soundtracks such as chrono cross.

Sadly, I cannot say the same for games today. They are all wonderful in the respect that they actually use orchestras and w/e. But you can't compare the soul soundtracks in todays game have in comparison with an exception of a few games like NIER, which uses a made up language alltogether. hear it for yourself:

dont read the comments, serious spoilers.

In any case, pick up any one of the following:
Xenogears (which I recommended the most), Xenosaga, NIER, 9 doors 9 hours 9 people "999" (NDS), Legacy of Kain, Suikoden 2, FF6&4 (considered the best among FF veterans), Planescape torment (western Rpg)..

agh too many to name but if your looking for rpgs that take it back to the peak of its era, these are where its at.
edit on 30-1-2011 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
For me its

1. World of Warcraft. The seemless world is just awsomeness. So many things you can do its just overwhelming.
2. Never Winter Nights + addons D&D rules just great.
3. Baulders Gate series
4. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Showing my age here a bit but some of my favorites:

1. Phantasy Star II - Sega Genesis (First one to actually kill off a main character mid game)
2. Legend of Zelda - NES
3. Legend of Zelda II - NES (Not many people liked this game but I thought it was great as it was one of the first
action/adventure games)
4. Suikoden - Sony Playstation
5. D&D Treasure of Tarmin - Intellivision (Way ahead of its time as it was essentially the first "First Person
Shooter")

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iCEdTenG

FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII
Star Ocean 2
FFT
FFX
FFIV
XenoGears
ChronoTrigger
Legend of Legaia
WarCraft series
Diablo series
Balder's Gate series
Elder Scroll's series

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman
reply to post by iCEdTenG

FFVI
FFVII
FFVIII
Star Ocean 2
FFT
FFX
FFIV
XenoGears
ChronoTrigger
Legend of Legaia
WarCraft series
Diablo series
Balder's Gate series
Elder Scroll's series

No love for fallout ?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

+1 for XenoGears & Chrono
--------------------------------

As far as Fallout is concerned, its great but it's certainly lacking the kick "tier one" games should have.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Just throwing in my two cents on this one.

1. Final Fantasy III (SNES)
2. Secret of Mana (SNES)
3. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
4. Star Tropics (NES)
5. Earthbound (SNES)

I like newer platform RPGs but they are all rooted in the classics.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Baldurs gate 2

Oblivion

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join