It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why nobody likes America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
come on guys.

no use denying that the hatred is not real.

we all know people middle east has no love for US.

but what is surprising is how did the other countries developed this dislike of America.

in south america many nations expressed their dislike of US as they rejected proposals during the recent trade talks.

CNN polls show rise in anti-US hatred among latin americans.

and it is no secret that anti-Americanism is becoming very fashionable in among the european left.

American bashing is the normal table talk in the upper classes.

i think there is a concerted effort by the European THEM (ETHEM) to create this sort of displeasure towards US.

ETHEM are attempting to isolate the bush adminstration. i can't think of another explantion.

The French particularly seem to have a major problem with the US.

www.cnn.com...
www.cnn.com...

CNN poll: www.cnn.com...

[edit on 25-12-2005 by mr conspiracy]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
USA, as the world's superpower, has done some pretty bad things the last 100 years.

Nobody hates American people...it is American foreign policy that is not welcomed.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Nobody likes it when you lead, they'd much prefer that you follow, hence the reason why our foreign policy is disliked. BTW, as long as the American Dream is alive and strong France can complain all they want. I suggest France focuses on itself, we sure don't want any more of those rebellions now do we?

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Nobody likes it when you lead, they'd much prefer that you follow, hence the reason why our foreign policy is disliked.

And here I thought it might have something to do with the irresponsible attitude we have towards polluting the world, our self-righteousness, our love of violence, our uptight sexual attitudes, the lack of attention to long-term repercussions of short-term strategies, our arrogance, our self-appointment to world-police and our commercial aggression in foreign markets.

But I guess you could be right. They hate us for our leadership. Oh, and don’t forget our freedoms! They hate us for our freedoms. But at least we’re doing something about that one!

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
They also hate America for their wicked sense of irony.. Oh and the culture..

Oooh, wicked!

Merry xmas one and all.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And here I thought it might have something to do with the irresponsible attitude we have towards polluting the world

Yeah, right. It's solely the U.S. that is responsible for polluting the world.

news.bbc.co.uk...

our self-righteousness

I think all humans are self-righteous, who do you know that walks around all the time thinking they're wrong? Most other countries just don't have the means to assert their will as effectively as we do, yet. Give it time.

our love of violence

Really? Once again, America isn't the only country with a "love" of violence:

A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America.

England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest.

news.bbc.co.uk...

our uptight sexual attitudes

Yeah, the adult industry is dead in the water here.

These generalizations are ridiculous, it's a small minority who are sexually uptight, they just make alot of noise.

the lack of attention to long-term repercussions of short-term strategies

I suppose we have the market cornered on that as well? No other countries have ever made such mistakes. Right, and I guess the USSR's plan in Afghanistan went perfectly, etc.

our arrogance

That's what some folks from other countries say, as they're looking down their noses at us. Once again, arrogance is a human quality not an American one.

our self-appointment to world-police

Sometimes, other times the world appoints us and they get impatient when we don't jump immediately. I guess when America falls as so many believe, and China is the next superpower, the world will be a happier place, because they would never torture people or use violence to assert their will, no never. Until then I guess the world will be under the thumb of the vicious U.S.

and our commercial aggression in foreign markets

Isn't aggression what gets you to the top in markets?

The world will hate whomever is at the top of the hill. Envy is another human quality, and if the U.S. falls, the world will quickly begin to hate the country that takes our place.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd

A UNITED Nations report has labelled Scotland the most violent country in the developed world, with people three times more likely to be assaulted than in America.

England and Wales recorded the second highest number of violent assaults while Northern Ireland recorded the fewest.

news.bbc.co.uk...

That report is BS, the figures for scotland are not even half of france, why?
Scotland only has 5 million people in it, are you telling me that ALL 5 million people in scotland get assualted?

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Stereophony

Originally posted by devilwasp
Scotland only has 5 million people in it, are you telling me that ALL 5 million people in scotland get assualted?

Well, we ARE talking Scotland, after all, nay?

If a study reinforces our prejudices, it has to be true.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
27jd - Just a note. I didn't say we were the only country that does some of those things. I said I think those are the reasons others hate the USA. We are the world's biggest polluter. If you (or anyone) wants to know why people hate this country, it's easy to find out.

I appreciate all your excuses for our actions and noting that we're not the only country that does some of these things, but that still doesn't make these admirable qualities. The issue of the thread is not 'What the USA does that nobody else does', it's 'Why the USA is disliked'.

When a country operates as we do, it doesn't make us look any better to say, "Johnny did it too" it just looks like lame excuses for acting like we do. But I appreciate your efforts.

[edit on 25-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The Roots Of Scottish Violence

Granted, this may seem somewhat off-topic, but please bear with me for a moment.

After further study of the “Scottish Violence Problem”, I have discovered some rather startling reasons for the skewed statistics.

For what it's worth, by the way, the link cited above (news.bbc.co.uk...) actually points to an article on pollution hotspots, not Scottish violence (famously reported here and by the U.N.) -- although you never know, there could be a connection -- but let's not worry about that right now.

Let's just go with the 2,000 assaults per week figure (104,000 assaults per year) and get to the bottom of this.

First off, it seems that violence in Scotland is far from universal. Rather, it tends to be localized.

In looking at more detailed figures, we find that over 91% of Scotland's assaults can be traced to the following four sources...

Grassmarket Pubs

A respectable 28% of assaults in all of Scotland can be attributed to the pubs of Edinburgh's lively Grassmarket area -- 34% if we count Cowgate in with it.

Some say drinking may have something to do with it.

Fig. 1: A typical night in Grassmarket

Soccer Hooligans

Although Scotland, like all the Commonwealth nations, has a reputation for soccer hooliganism to uphold, alas it falls far behind the exploits of its neighbors in that department.

With a shamefully low 21% of all Scottish assaults to their credit, Scotland's soccer hooligans have some catching up to do. This is even more embarrassing when you consider that roughly 71% of those assaults were actually committed by English soccer hooligans in town for the games.

However, with an increasing shift among Scotland's hooligans from beer to whiskey and new cell phone models coming out next year tailor-made to accommodate the needs of the infamous English “happy slapping” craze now working its way northward, there is hope for Scotland yet.

Fig. 2: Scottish soccer hooligans

Commuters

19% of all Scottish assaults are committed by commuters. This can range from a tiff over a spot on the train to a difference of opinion regarding where the fender of one's car belongs. But of all causes, one stands out, responsible for over 67% of all commuter-related violence in Scotland:

Fig. 3: Commuters react to ScotRail fare increase

This Man

Fig. 4: Groundskeeper Willie

William MacDougal, aka “Groundskeeper Willie”, aka “Rowdy Rowdy Peeper”, is single-handedly responsible for 17% of all assaults committed in Scotland -- and that's since he emigrated to America.

Spending on average only a week visiting his homeland each year, however, he is known to make up for lost time.

Conclusion

Now that we have a clearer picture of the actual sources of Scottish violence, we can safely infer that were it not for the above aggravating factors, Scotland would probably have ne'er as much crime as the Vatican.

The Real Reason For America-Hatred

So what does all that have to do with hating America?

Not much, frankly, but thanks for bearing with me.

As for the topic, I actually do have something to say, surprisingly enough, and here it is.

After many years of long and arduous study, including over a year as an ATSer, I have finally come to understand why some people hate America:

It's because we don't do what they tell us to do.

Yep, that's basically it. An honest analysis of every single complaint I've seen about America yields the same root cause: resentment that we won't be the world's doormat.

Note to world: America ain't your bitch. Deal with it.

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled America-bashing in what seems to be a forum almost exclusively dedicated to it here on AboveTopSecret.com.

P.S. Actually, I ran with the Scottish violence thing to make a point about stereotypes, so there really was a reason for my silliness. For the record, I love Scotland and I love Scots. Ye nivver dee'd o winter yit.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
****bows down to majic***
All hail majic! Master comedian! Master of podcasts!

Hail ye sinners!

**bows***

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I knew Willie had something to do with it, I always had my suspicions of him.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Sure, why not?

That's why nobody likes Scotland.

I was pretty much just using that report jokingly, it seems some got it and some didn't.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
27jd - Just a note. I didn't say we were the only country that does some of those things. I said I think those are the reasons others hate the USA. We are the world's biggest polluter. If you (or anyone) wants to know why people hate this country, it's easy to find out.

Then they should also hate the other 38 or so major polluters as well.

I appreciate all your excuses for our actions and noting that we're not the only country that does some of these things, but that still doesn't make these admirable qualities. The issue of the thread is not 'What the USA does that nobody else does', it's 'Why the USA is disliked'.

Well, I'm glad I'm appreciated.

When a country operates as we do, it doesn't make us look any better to say, "Johnny did it too" it just looks like lame excuses for acting like we do. But I appreciate your efforts.

We're just acting like every other major industrialized nation, however if everybody were to work together instead of disliking each other so much, perhaps we could all find better ways to do things through cooperation, but that won't happen because everybody is doing exactly what these crooked governments and corporations want. And why does everybody dislike us but not Johnny? Seems pretty unfair to me.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
Sure, why not?

That's why nobody likes Scotland.

I was pretty much just using that report jokingly, it seems some got it and some didn't.

Guess you guys wont want anymore whiskey then?
Or irn Bru, oh yeah thats right the US wont sell it.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Guess you guys wont want anymore whiskey then?

Not tonight, I'm good.

Or irn Bru, oh yeah thats right the US wont sell it.

We already have caffeinated orange soda here, it's called Sunkist.

posted on Dec, 25 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
For what it's worth, by the way, the link cited above (news.bbc.co.uk...) actually points to an article on pollution hotspots, not Scottish violence (famously reported here and by the U.N.) -- although you never know, there could be a connection -- but let's not worry about that right now.

Oops, you're absolutely right, I meant to link www.timesonline.co.uk... , my bad.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
You see...it's pretty simple...one can say that it's all a matter of Jealousy...

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
America is not hated due to jealousy or because they are leaders. They are hated for their foreign policy:

-USA helped dictator Pinochet in Chile.

-USA helped many dictatorships in south/central America.

-USA helped Saddam Hussein by giving arms to Iraq in the 80s.

-USA were in business with Bin Laden in order to fight the USSR in Afghanistan.

-USA was responsible for Dictatorship in Greece and the occupation in Cyprus.

-USA is responsible for the various mini Guantanamos in Europe, and the secret flights of military airplanes in Europe with Muslim abductees.

-USA does not recognize the international court of Justice.

-USA constantly undermines the UN, instead of helping it.

-USA created a big problem in the Balcans with the war in Yugoslavia; USA destroyed Yugoslavia for no apparent reason (Milosevic was nothing like Hitler, no matter what US media made you believe).

-USA fueled the arms race (together with USSR, of course) during the last 40 years with big nuclear armaments.

-USA produces 50% of weapons globally.

-USA has a mentality that they are superiors in everything, and this mentality is visible in movies and in sites like this. For example, you call your NBA champions "world champions", but you have already been beaten badly in international competitions.

-USA distorts history by taking the culture of one country and assigning it to another one (Macedonia).

-USA promotes a mentality that "money is everything" and Corporations/Wall Street are the most important thing ever. By targeting the lowest of human instincts (that of greed), American culture has invaded almost all of Earth.

-USA is responsible for the increase of narcotics in Europe in the last 5 years. After the "war at Afghanistan", the opium roads are again open.

-USA is the only country that has bases in more than 175 countries around the globe.

-USA is one of the few countries not willing to sacrifise anything for saving the environment.

I am sorry for saying this. As much as I like USA and live in the American way, I can not help ignoring these big facts. And I am not saying that other countries are innocent (for example, France is largely responsible for the mess that Africa is now), nor I am saying that Muslims are not "nuts", but we are talking about USA here.

What I would like to see from USA is a true leader, one that does justice, promotes peace and science over war and religious superstition, promotes equality, helps the poor citizens through social welfare, fights narcotics, stops producing guns, withdraws its armies and bases from around the world, promotes stability in middle east and around the world, stops favoring big corporations only etc.

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I love America.

My family and I would love to come and live there, but you won't let us Brits in!!!

Why will you let all and sundry in, yet keep your best friends in the world at arm's length?

posted on Dec, 26 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
What I would like to see from USA is a true leader, one that does justice, promotes peace and science over war and religious superstition, promotes equality, helps the poor citizens through social welfare, fights narcotics, stops producing guns, withdraws its armies and bases from around the world, promotes stability in middle east and around the world, stops favoring big corporations only etc.

Don't forget legalizes marijuana.

Originally posted by Englishman_in_Spain
I love America.

My family and I would love to come and live there, but you won't let us Brits in!!!

Why will you let all and sundry in, yet keep your best friends in the world at arm's length?

I have no idea, seems pretty stupid to me. You guys should be viewed as having dual citizenship and allowed in whenever as far as I'm concerned.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join