It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why nobody likes America

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Fascinating that no one likes the United States of America. What's really odd is that the House just passed an immigration bill that would help to stem the tide of illegal immigrants who would do anything they can to show up here. Estimates are that there are over 11 million "America haters" who break the law to stay in this country. This doesn't include the 6-9 million legal immigrants we've been averaging the last 5 years.

House passes immigration bill
The House acted Friday to stem the tide of illegal immigration by taking steps to tighten border controls and stop unlawful immigrants from getting jobs.

It authorizes the building of a fence along parts of the U.S.-Mexico border.

Yep, it appears that we need to build a 2,000 mile fence to keep everyone out. Seems like a waste of time since everyone hates this place.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
Everyone loves America, The ones who claim to hate us fall into two groups, Group one being our enemies, And group two being the ones who say it only because its the (Cool thing to say)

You forgot one group. The people that live in the U.S. as citizens and enjoy the benefits and freedoms, but can't wait to bash America for any chance they get and for any reason.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
The Right To Be Wrong

Originally posted by centurion1211
The people that live in the U.S. as citizens and enjoy the benefits and freedoms, but can't wait to bash America for any chance they get and for any reason.

Ah, but that's the greatest benefit of all!

I can't say I agree with the attitude, but I can say that I'm very glad people are free to do that in my country.

Heck, I'd almost go so far as to say that it's the one freedom upon which all the others depend, were it not for the fact that the right to bear arms holds that honor.

After all, what good is the right to complain when you're being herded into camps and unable to do anything about it?

But that's just one American's opinion -- and the opinion of an American who is quite happy he is free to express it plainly, in public, without fear of government reprisal.

That's about as good as it gets.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And I’m not speaking of the USA in regards to comparing us to other countries. I’m comparing us to ourselves! To our origins, our own standards and values. It’s called accountability.

If I discover the guy down the street is a serial murder and has killed 17 people, I don’t automatically figure that killing 2 people isn’t so bad… That’s the danger of relativism.

If all the kids at my son’s school are doing meth every day, and I discover my son is doing coc aine and meth only on Sunday, I don’t say, “Well, that’s ok, son. You could be worse.” I don’t challenge the mothers at the PTA meeting to tell me whose son is doing less than coc aine and meth on Sunday. I am responsible for my son, not all the others. And I’d be doing him a disservice to commend him for being ‘better’ than the other kids.

It's absolutely correct that we are responsible for ourselves, and we're far from perfect. However, using your analogies, wouldn't it upset you if everybody, including the serial killer down the street, focused on you and the two people you killed exclusively? Wouldn't you want them to be fair and focus on everybody who was killing people?

Wouldn't it upset you if your son was being called the root of the meth and coke problem at the PTA meetings and nobody mentioned the other kids, only focusing on your son?

I think it would be easier to focus on our problems if everybody else wasn't scouring at us shaking their heads as if we're the only problem on earth, that tends to make most people defensive, and takes their focus away from working on their problem, and puts it on saying "F U" to everybody. Not a good way to make positive changes, IMO.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

I can't say I agree with the attitude, but I can say that I'm very glad people are free to do that in my country.

Heck, I'd almost go so far as to say that it's the one freedom upon which all the others depend, were it not for the fact that the right to bear arms holds that honor.
That's about as good as it gets.

I totally agree with you. I guess I need to clarify and add that I feel the people I described are so busy trying to run America down that they don't really appreciate the freedoms that allow them to do so.

And you never see them post anything about what America does right. It's always negative, negative, negative like the U.S. was the worst thing that has ever come along in the way of a country when, in fact, we are the best in many catagories.

[edit on 12/27/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I'm saying people complain about America because we don't do what they tell us to do.

As far as other countries complaining about us, I agree. We're not acting like they think we should, regardless of my own personal judgement of how we're acting.

The foundation of America-bashing, like all nation-bashing, is nationalistic bigotry. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'd like to know what, in your opinion, constitutes 'nation-bashing':
If I complain about the government's action, am I nation-bashing?
If I understand and point out why other countries don't like us, am I Anti-American?
If I don't stand up and point out what all the other countries are doing wrong, in defense of my country and in an attempt to exhibit their relative adequacy, is that Anti-Americanism?

Am I a nationalistic bigot?

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The best thing has to be the right to be able to `bash the usa` - well , as many have noticed , that right is being erroded away under the patriot act - and if you speak out then you can be arrested as a `potential terrorist` (or what used to be called a prisoner of conscience)

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
I totally agree with you. I guess I need to clarify and add that I feel the people I described are so busy trying to run America down that they don't really appreciate the freedoms that allow them to do so.

I think those you're describing are the ones who feel "alienated" here one way or the other. Maybe they didn't get a prom date, or they were stuffed in lockers daily. I don't know, but I think they really hate everybody else for other reasons, and just find kinship in non-Americans who dislike us, who they don't associate with their personal problems, so they bash with them. Like it's been said, they are free to do so and I wouldn't want to see their right to do so taken away. But their not fooling me.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
However, using your analogies, wouldn't it upset you if everybody, including the serial killer down the street, focused on you and the two people you killed exclusively? Wouldn't you want them to be fair and focus on everybody who was killing people?

Yes. I would find it unfair. But I would not find fault with the accusation that I am responsible for killing someone, by excusing it as 'better' than what someone else did. And that's what I see happening here.

Wouldn't it upset you if your son was being called the root of the meth and coke problem at the PTA meetings and nobody mentioned the other kids, only focusing on your son?

Yes, I would find it unfair. But I would take the responsibility to correct HIS behavior instead of focusing on all the other kids and what they've done.

Personally, I don't give a flying fruit what other countries say about the USA. They don't live here and it's none of their business. I guess I don't really understand the sensitivity to Anti-Americanism from other countries. Who cares what they say? I'm more concerned with the citizens of the USA and what they have to say about their country.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Yes. I would find it unfair. But I would not find fault with the accusation that I am responsible for killing someone, by excusing it as 'better' than what someone else did. And that's what I see happening here.

Then you're misunderstanding. I don't think anything we do wrong is 'better' than what somebody else does wrong. But the title of this thread is "Why nobody likes America", I'm not saying what we do is better, but it's not worse either, and it's unfair for everybody else to focus on us, that's all.

Yes, I would find it unfair. But I would take the responsibility to correct HIS behavior instead of focusing on all the other kids and what they've done.

But it would be alot more difficult for you and your child to address his problem if an angry mob was outside your window shouting about how bad your son is and how bad a parent you are because of is actions, even though they have kids at home snorting giant rails of coke and smoking glass. What you said you would do, is what every parent should do, but that's not whats happening in this case is it?

Personally, I don't give a flying fruit what other countries say about the USA. They don't live here and it's none of their business. I guess I don't really understand the sensitivity to Anti-Americanism from other countries. Who cares what they say? I'm more concerned with the citizens of the USA and what they have to say about their country.

Well, I guess that's just a difference in personalities between us. Some people are very proud and don't take kindly to being badmouthed, and will respond in kind. Doesn't mean they are unable to address their problems, they just won't be kicked around. Some take it on the chin and walk away, figuring there had to be a reason they got hit and aim to change whatever reason it was, so they don't get hit again. People are just different.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   
dont get me wrong i love this country with all my heart... its just that the way i see it a social rift is brewing, between the social drones, and the revered provocures...

we have problems concerning the rampant maintainance of anti consolodatory commercial infrastructure (4 starbucks in 3 blocks is a bit much i think), excessive expenditures and usage of economical leviathans known as SUV's, atmospheric dependancies on all proponents of popular media. which creates resounding aura of unawareness, among the desolote suburban infrastructue, which in my opinion can not sustain such audacious levels of industrial coherency for it to remain optimally efficient. imo the government maintains its level of proprietary discourse towards many aspects of wasteful america.

with these few misconstrued components i still think america is the best

all the best

chao

[edit on 27-12-2005 by sturod84]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84

all the best

chao

I think that about sums it up for me, as well. No nation is perfect, but some are way closer than others to that level. For all its faults, the U.S. is still at the top of that list. So, the question remains, why some feel the need to bash the country at the top? Envy comes to mind in the case of people from other countries. For people from the U.S., maybe it's masochism.

[edit on 12/27/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by sturod84
dont get me wrong i love this country with all my heart... its just that the way i see it a social rift is brewing, between the social drones, and the revered provocures...

we have problems concerning the rampant maintainance of anti consolodatory commercial infrastructure (4 starbucks in 3 blocks is a bit much i think), excessive expenditures and usage of economical leviathans known as SUV's, atmospheric dependancies on all proponents of popular media. which creates resounding aura of unawareness, among the desolote suburban infrastructue, which in my opinion can not sustain such audacious levels of industrial coherency for it to remain optimally efficient. imo the government maintains its level of proprietary discourse towards many aspects of wasteful america.

all the best

chao

I thought it was against the rules to post in a language other than english.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
no beuno?

theres too many cars, too many conglomorates, and too many revered drones

still the best

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Ah, now I get it. I can put away my dictionary now.

For the record I drive a fuel efficient four cylinder roller skate.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
The best thing has to be the right to be able to `bash the usa` - well , as many have noticed , that right is being erroded away under the patriot act - and if you speak out then you can be arrested as a `potential terrorist` (or what used to be called a prisoner of conscience)

Not true.

Can you please give an example of some arrested in this fashion?

-- Boat

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

My challenge is for people to name a nation that is superior to America to the extent that it can survive the kind of criticism that is routinely leveled at the U.S.

Well, I'll take that challange, I say the UK is superior to america for its football fans to cause soooo much damage that many armies cant match.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Well, I'll take that challange, I say the UK is superior to america for its football fans to cause soooo much damage that many armies cant match.

You mean soccer. It's okay, I forgive you for your mistake.

Yes, hooligans are a rowdy bunch for sure.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
You mean soccer. It's okay, I forgive you for your mistake.

Soccer???
You use a foot and you use a ball= foot ball.
Damm yanks

Yes, hooligans are a rowdy bunch for sure.

Ohh you havnt seen our "militia" then in force have you lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
None of the Islamic countries likes America.I wonder who US is gona attack next.I think they should turn thier saying from WAR on TERROR to WAR on ISLAM so that the world gets a better idea why muslim countries are getting attacked.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join