It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Missing Bride-to-Be Found in New Mexico (Update: Abduction a Hoax)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Jennifer Wilbanks, 32 and bride-to-be, was missing for 3 days after disappearing after a jog near her Georgia home. Found on the what was to be, the eve of her wedding day, was found alive at a convenience strore in New Mexico. Captors let her go. [Not exactly.]

www.cnn.com
Three days after Jennifer Wilbanks went missing during a jog near her Georgia home -- and on the eve of what was to be her wedding day -- she has been found alive and well in New Mexico after being freed by kidnappers, family and police said.

Wilbanks, 32, called her fiance, John Mason, at his Duluth, Georgia home from an Albuquerque pay phone at 1:40 a.m. EDT Saturday to say she had freed by two strangers -- a man and a woman -- who abducted her Tuesday night, Mason said.

Within minutes, Wilbanks was located by Albuquerque Police, where she is being questioned by the FBI and where family members will fly to Saturday morning for a reunion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think its great that they not only found her alive and well, but they were able to restore the fact that the fiance was in fact innocent. He has been under extreme pressure and suspicion. The media feeds off the thought of a related prospect, counting back the coverage of the Scott and Lacie Peterson case. Nice to see this ends in a celebration.

New Developments: Georgia Bride-To-Be Fabricated Story

[edit on 30-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I was watching on Fox News they had the whole family in the yard celebrating with Greta. It was nice to see some positive news!!

[edit on 30-4-2005 by JoshGator54]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
You are so right. I was so relieved to come home and find news that I totally did not expect. It seems like we get so used to only seeing bad news, that when something good comes, its a surprise. I would say it is definitely going to be one of the best celebrations a person could possibly expreience. Imagine if that was your friend, daughter, sister, or fiance. Wow the corks would be flying.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Great news!!!! I'm glad the guy had nothing to do with it.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
She wasn't abducted, she just got cold feet and ran away by taking a bus.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Ha! Knew it! She didn't look happy in any of the photo's I saw, more like a scared rabbit.

Runaway Bride.. too funny.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
But doesn't anyone find it upsetting that she apparently thought about this enough ahead to plan on cutting her hair and leaving it and clothes where Police could find them to believe she was abducted. . There must be some kind of law against that -- imagine the cost for the Police and the pain for everyone involved. Also the fact that she blamed a hispanic male and white female for the abduction -- I'm just glad she admitted it before the Police started pulling over every couple that met that description.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
She needs severe prosecution as does whatever accomplice assisted in this. She didn't cut her own hair and plant it and walk to the Bus station with no ID or credit cards. Criminal charges must be filed. Or the hoaxes will just keep getting worse.

And I'd like the news to develop a bit of skepticism going forward. They'll believe ANYTHING from ANYBODY!

From these guys...

I found it in my backyard.

To this guy.

I know where the WMD stockpiles are.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
She should be locked-up, you can dissapear just not lie about it.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Brings to mind the jingle.."What happens here stays here" (Vegas).

If you were her fiance', would you trust her again? Would you go through with the marriage at a later date?

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Cold feet is understandable...

Leading authorities on a goose chase because you're a self-absorbed ninny..well..that's the height of bad form.

When I read the original story, I immediately thought about Susan Smith, (was that her name?) the woman who drowned her two children and blamed it on 'some black man.'

It's really horrible to be so selfish and myopic as these liars are, but it's ten times worse to put innocent people in harms way because of your own inability to act like an adult.

For shame people...

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I just heard on the news that apparently she bought the bus ticket last week.

Wonder why that is just now coming to light?

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Wyrdeone said

Cold feet is understandable...

Leading authorities on a goose chase because you're a self-absorbed ninny..well..that's the height of bad form.

When I read the original story, I immediately thought about Susan Smith, (was that her name?) the woman who drowned her two children and blamed it on 'some black man.'

It's really horrible to be so selfish and myopic as these liars are, but it's ten times worse to put innocent people in harms way because of your own inability to act like an adult.

For shame people...

Exactly what I meant -- Like you said cold feet is understandable -- heck as I was walking down the aisle 27 years ago I was wondering what the heck I was doing

But to go to these lengths is unbelievable. I don't think I could ever trust her again -- after the pain and anxiety everyone who knew her was put thru and the man hours spent looking for her - the thought that she betrayed all of their trusts must be overwhelming.

My first thought was that she must have been a spoiled brat her entire life.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
This is a classic case where you ask what was she thinking???

The woman either just completely snapped under the pressure of a large wedding (over 600 guests) or she is not the nice, caring person that her family and friends have made her out to be over the last few days.

I don't think she's really done anything majorly illegal and it's doubtful she'll be charged with any crime (it's perfectly legal to leave town without telling anyone), but she's certainly caused a lot of pain for her family....I really feel sorry for the fiancé, the poor guy was under suspicion of murder and now the entire world knows she ran off practically leaving him at the altar.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
FYI - Feel free to vote up or down.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Spokesman Mike Satterfield read a statement from the family.

"It has been determined that Jennifer has some issues the family was not aware of.

www.cnn.com...

Jeez! Ya think?

If I was John Mason, I wouldn't go through with this wedding for a million bucks. God, I'd hate to be him, right now.

[edit on 05/4/30 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoshGator54
I was watching on Fox News they had the whole family in the yard celebrating with Greta. It was nice to see some positive news!!

[edit on 30-4-2005 by JoshGator54]

Never mind!!

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I don't think she's really done anything majorly illegal and it's doubtful she'll be charged with any crime (it's perfectly legal to leave town without telling anyone), but she's certainly caused a lot of pain for her family....I really feel sorry for the fiancé, the poor guy was under suspicion of murder and now the entire world knows she ran off practically leaving him at the altar.

But the thing is -- she planted items so it looked like she was abducted -- the jacket and the hair she cut and left just off the trail she jogged on. So the Police would think it was a crime. It wasn't just a case of her just leaving town without telling anyone. Then she continued on when she called the police from the 7/11 in New Mexico telling them she was abducted. At the very least I would think they would make her get some mental health care and pay back the cost of the Police and equipment time that was spent looking for her. She could have called at any time to tell people she had just run off.

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Remember the case last year, I think it was in Michigan, where a college student staged her abduction? She was charged and forced to pay for the cost of her search. Why in the world is Jennifer not going to be charged with anything? Is it because she comes from a wealthy family or was about to marry into a wealthy family and the college girl wasn't?

I don't think jail time would benefit anyone in Jennifer's case, but I do think that she needs to face some type of punishment. A hefty fine and community service in addition to mandatory therapy seems like it would be fitting.

Jemison

posted on Apr, 30 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Police in New Mexico said she will face no criminal charges, despite her false kidnapping story. When asked what would happen in Georgia, Duluth Police Chief Randy Belcher told reporters: "No criminal charges."

www.cnn.com...

The Georgia Police Chief didn't sound too happy about that to me --do you think there might have been a bit of pressure from the Judge (can't remember if he was future father-in-law or father)

I'm sorry- but I feel there should be criminal charges -- like I said even if it is a stipulation of mental health care, paying for the cost of the search, and probation. She shouldn't get off with nothing. If she had just walked off then called from another place and didn't say where she was but that she needed some time to think things out I wouldn't feel this way -- but she put time and planning into making this look like a crime and when she was ready to go home she continued by giving a description of the vehicle and the people who were supposed to have abducted her.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join