It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cuts all direct assistance to Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Who cares. It does not matter either way.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yes, APPROVE his budget.....

It isn't a proposed anything. I am merely saying he will outright refuse to cash the check they write for those countries....

And then what? The "what" is they don't get paid. He doesn't have to put a name to it

And yes, refusing to release authorized funds indeed.

Congress has no mechanism by which to force the executive to make payments to anyone. Just because they approve a budget doesn't mean he has to use it/carry it out.

He is simply removing it from his budget. Congress can't force the executive to take action by funding it. Separation of powers and all
edit on 3/30/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Keep in mind our SCOTUS majority (especially once RBG is out between now and 2024) will ensure his decision is likely upheld

Conservative SCOTUS isn't going to allow Congress to take over the executive branch functions by simply writing a check. There is no Constitutional right to aid money
and it certainly wouldn't apply to a foreigner who isn't under US jurisdiction by any stretch of the imagination

Now if it were a protectorate or state, then *maybe* they'd have a leg to stand on. But these are foreign nations

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: trustmeimdoctor

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: gortex

Israel is in an area with a lot of people that hates US. Well deserved help.
Israel is a scumbag nation that can't stop fighting everyone. They deserve nothing.

Anti semites like you are exactly why we supported the return to Jerusalem of the 12 tribes of Israel. Jude and Levi are the two who were still there after the Roman and then Ottoman empires.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

I get you, I know people doing their disability claiming being in a combat zone when we were in another country.

I got hazardous duty pay but was never in real danger so I said no. Even though my issues are service related I couldn't say yes to put my papers on the fast track when plenty of people that saw combat are still waiting.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Has it been tried yet?

Because the status quo stinks like a sun ripened cadaver.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Well, I think it does matter. Everyone seems to have overlooked this little tidbit from the OP's linked article.

“At the Secretary’s instruction, we are carrying out the President’s direction and ending FY [fiscal year] 2017 and FY 2018 foreign assistance programs for the Northern Triangle,” a State Department spokesperson told ABC News, referring to U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. “We will be engaging Congress as part of this process.”

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   

You do realize the US Senate is part of congress, right?

It isn't just the democratii lead house

And the House by itself can't control the executive merely by writing checks. Congress as a whole could in theory pass a law requiring aid payments, but even that can be tied up in the courts to no end. In the end, our Senate is with the President and that ensures the dems are nothing but toothless loud mouths AKA all bark no bite
edit on 3/30/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I didn't. Like I said, why does it matter? That quote doesn't make it matter.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

You might want to go back a little in your history? I was talking about the other time we deserted them after we propped them up long enough for Russia to give up on them. Our proxie war with Russia??

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

If you say so, but remember, the current Congress blocked Trump's wall money demand.
edit on 30-3-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Who cares. Why are you ignoring my question? Why does it matter, and how does that quote you posted make it matter?

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Huh?? Congress writes the laws and allocates where the money goes. The pres heads the executive banch. They execute the laws and quite frankly it's their job to ensure the money is distributed according to the laws coming out of the congress.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Who have the power to block. every cent of funding to the executive branch

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
You know that 310 million we give to Mexico EVERY year would buy a lot of wall...just saying...

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Why does it matter

Why does it matter? Because, it seems that Trump is announcing something as done, when it appears that he's going to need Congressional approval to make it actually happen.

It matters because we are still a representative republic and Congress is an equal branch of the Government. Trump is not a king or a dictator, yet. He still needs Congressional approval on budget matters.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Aid can have conditions attached, which allows for it being withheld. It could also be aid that needs to be spent, but the specifics on how are not set in stone so it can be rerouted. Then Trump could also go the impoundment route depending on circumstances.

Trump has already refused aid to countries, this is not new.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Sorry, you are just clueless on the subject. There are many circumstances where Trump does not need approval. Even if he does, the aid does not continue while he works with Congress, it stops while they work it out. So like I said, either way, it doesn't matter.

I keep telling you that you would have a better understanding of what is going on if you stopped reading propaganda fake news disguising itself as actual news.
edit on 30-3-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

You might want to go back a little in your history? I was talking about the other time we deserted them after we propped them up long enough for Russia to give up on them. Our proxie war with Russia??

Ah....you certainly didn't make that obvious. I think 99.9% of ppl would not make that assumption.

However, it is still not a comparable analogy, IMO.

That was a "cold war" driven foreign policy decision, and given the circumstances of the times, a correct one, as it was forcing a dangerous foe to spend resources that they couldn't afford to spend. It was probably a not so minor factor in the breakup of the soviet block.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

What propaganda? That Trump needs Congressional approval in budget matters?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join