It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump cuts all direct assistance to Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: strongfp

The US has been sending money for decades.

It hasn't helped. It just lined the pockets of those in power.

I say cut funding until they do get their own countries in order.

I say cut funding to every country that negatively impacts the US.

Exactly.

You don't reward bad behavior, it just reinforces that behavior.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yea then why are you supporting your own government? The worst offenders of corruption on this planet.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Just scrounging up more money for his big wonderful wall is all. From anywhere he can get it.
I assume that this money that he is refusing to give them was already appropriated for that purpose? Or is he just saying that he doesn't want to a budget this year that includes aide for these countries?
I don't care weather we give them money or not although I really think it's disengeneous or nieve to suggest that they would use that money to help the poor homeless veterns or any other worthwhile purpose. That trick has been played on us far too many times in the past.
Congress has been granted the power of the purse though, it's part of those checks and balances placed in the constitution. Someday maybe our president will turn off his tbs and lay down his Twitter phone long enough to read that document and realize that he isn't really the one who gets to decide just how the money is spent.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

your example is not valid at all.

My example shows aid is not evenly distributed , aid to a wealthy country like Israel is OK for political reasons but aid to poor countries isn't because of political reasons.

Israel respects US.

Israel respects US because it dances to Israels tune.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Mach2

I corrected my math.

Taking in immigrants isnt going to solve their problems. The problems need to be solved where they come from.
And yes, it is less than 200 million for the nations hes targeting. It's more to 180m.

I dont understand why his focus is to dismantle any sort of progress for south and central America, what is the fixation? Closing borders, stopping aid, pointing blame, what good is coming from this?

Here's an idea.

How about the leaders of those countries institute sound economic policies that are good for their citizens, instead of exploiting them?

They all have natural resources with which they could use benifit their ppl. Whether it is farming, mining, industry, or whatever.

How about they invest the aid in things like electricity, and running water for their ppl.

Just sending money, without a solid plan is mindnumbingly stupid.

You have heard the old addage about teaching a man to fish, right?

I'm sure that is the intent of our foriegn aid, but there is no way to insure it's being spent wisely, therefore it is a waste.

edit on 3302019 by Mach2 because: Sp

edit on 3302019 by Mach2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

False. It shows aid to a country where the people are taken care of is fine, and aid to a country where the leaders steal the money and the people are left to suffer isn't. Thanks for your support.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   

You honestly think someone just cuts a check and hands it to someone? It goes to aid organizations.

Why not help them instead of scolding them? Send advisors. It also doesnt help that large criminal organizations run rampant everywhere.

I understand what people are getting at, but this is not a step towards progress this is a step towards chaos. Just another knotch on the destabilization plan the US Gov. Has in store for that part of the planet.

Find it funny how people are so worried over 200m. Yet gladly will hand over tens of billions worth of arms and aid to isreal.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

You honestly think someone just cuts a check and hands it to someone? It goes to aid organizations.

Why not help them instead of scolding them? Send advisors. It also doesnt help that large criminal organizations run rampant everywhere.

I understand what people are getting at, but this is not a step towards progress this is a step towards chaos. Just another knotch on the destabilization plan the US Gov. Has in store for that part of the planet.

Find it funny how people are so worried over 200m. Yet gladly will hand over tens of billions worth of arms and aid to isreal.

Israel is not the subject here. Why are you conflating two separate issues?

Me thinks anti semitism is playing a role in your thought process.

I'm not naive. The reasons we give support to Israel are far different than the reasons we give aid to impoverished nations.

Can you show me, exactly where this aid is spent on the poor ppl of central America?

If you can't, don't ask me to give more.

I'll ask again. Why has this money not been spent to build a viable economic system?

That is the only way to raise a country out of poverty. Otherwise its just open ended welfare.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   
We should cut off aid to every country. I don't see one single reason it wouldn't be of better use here.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Israel is in an area with a lot of people that hates US. Well deserved help.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:34 AM
link   

That was an example, one example, that is why they used the word "like" in that sentence after the comma. It is the start of a list, providing one example of many.

Reading comprehension folks....read and understand the nuances before you spout off with a knee-jerk reaction.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   

We all live on the same rock , it isn't the peoples fault they don't live in a land of milk and honey.

It is the peoples fault. How do you think America became what it is? It was the dreams and the audacity of the American people that achieved those dreams. Other countries have done this as well. We didn't have a Jeanie in a bottle that blinked us the land of milk and honey and lo and behold there it was. People made this country what it is with a lot of hard work and blood shed. No one handed this country to us on a silver platter.

I have little sympathy for countries like Mexico that have allowed the drug cartel and a corrupt government to rule their land. They're where their at by their own choosing. They've had all the opportunity in the world to become a great nation but have chosen other paths. With America by it's side there's no excuse for Mexico to be on the verge of being a third world country.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: Mach2

originally posted by: Trueman

Look man, I know you just want to help poor people in other countries but we can't afford that right now. There is a lot of poor people right here that needs to be attended first, like those homeless veterans.

Just out of curiosity, why do you single out veterans, when you make that statement? Are they, somehow, more deserving than any other homeless person?

I agree that we have more problems, than money, and we certainly don't need to import more. Just trying to assess why you put that qualifier in there.

Maybe like me he is a vet. Maybe he also supports wounded and disable veterans organizations. I do.

I assumed that he was a vet.

My question was, should veterans get preferential treatment as it pertains to dealing with the homeless situation? There are homeless women and children as well.

I'm not anti veteren, military, or anything like that. I was interested in the point of view that he had, not knocking it.

A good portion of the homeless veterans were broken by the last 20 yrs of war.

Govt broke them, govt should take care of them.
Note not all obviously, some chose a life that lead to that point, but those with severe ptsd, tbi etc related to their service should be at the front of the line.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

Yea then why are you supporting your own government? The worst offenders of corruption on this planet.

I am a consistent critic of our government.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Israel is in an area with a lot of people that hates US. Well deserved help.
Israel is a scumbag nation that can't stop fighting everyone. They deserve nothing.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I applaud this decision and it's about time this happened. I think there has been quite a number of people on this board who feel this should have been done years ago and especially during the last big caravan from Honduras.

I think it is clear that these caravans had paid transportation b/c I doubt there were hundreds of big trucks that just didn't mind filling up his trailer with a bunch of "shifty" migrants who have no money. The whole thing was funded and the key factors to look at were the transportation, especially the buses that appeared magically (they were supposedly old school buses and bought in the US right at the beginning of the caravan, then they were driven down (from a border state) to meet the caravan and shuttle people non stop.

If the migrants say that everything is so bad economically, then tell me why the average GDP increase for Central American countries is just under 2x that of the US and the US had an increase of 34.4% over the last 10 years. So economically, they are growing faster than the US, but the people aren't seeing any of that?

Here is the percent increase for each country over the last 10 years. How can they claim such extreme economic hardship as compared to 20-30 years ago?

Honduras - 59%
El Salvador - 41%
Belieze - 37%
Nicaragua - 67%
Panama - 128%
Guatemala - 100%
Mexico - 28%

Colombia - 32%
Venezuela - 46.8%
Guyana - 78.6%
Suriname - (-15%)
French Guiana - (-4%)
Peru - 75%
Bolivia - 116%
Brazil - 23%
Argentina - 91%
Chile - 62%
Paraguay - 87%
Uruguay - 78%

US - 34.3%

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The aid money isn't to build an economic system. It's to AID THOSE IN NEED because of a lack of economic systems, and in hopes the nation can build it's own.

The US isn't in the game of king making, unless it directly will suit their needs (Venezuela anyone?) they are in the game of dominance to be king of the jungle. A little aid here and there where it's needed won't break the bank, so what is the actual reason of cutting aid?

Also, yes it is about Israel as well, this is about people rallying up saying "Screw you!" to lending aid and support, isn't that exactly what Israel is getting, just in a different part of the world?

If you really wanted to know exactly where aid goes, the government has a website that breaks it all down for you.

Honduras

Israel

Notice where ALL the money goes to for one nation and where it goes to for another? Which nation would you want your tax dollars to aid.

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Very good news

Shut them down, grind their countries to a halt, shut the border down and deploy armed militias/drones/dogs/machine gun nests/etc with clear orders of engagement.

The invasion has to stop, and it will stop.

This country is America and it is for Americans. To become an American, you have to study hard, work hard, take a test and be worth letting in!

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Israel isn't invading our country and flooding our border by the millions.

Israel actually contributes to our defense, and to other parts of nation.

These countries do not contribute and we have enough people here. Besides, there is a process for becoming a citizen and they will follow it or they will not get it.

By withholding aid, we strike America's enemies (these groups are funded by our enemy Maduro and other commie scum)

Additionally, we force their governments to either stop the illegals or sink. And I have no problem letting them sink. And believe me, I will sleep just fine at night.
edit on 3/30/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Cutting aid isn't going to stop illegals. It will just cause more to want in. You need to help nations where they are so they don't come knocking at your door for money. Those nations have lots of offer. Why not at least try to work with them, not against them.

I've seen this video posted here, dozens of times. Yet people still forget it's message.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join