It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: ScepticScot

Only because there was no realistic chance of him becoming PM then.

Tony Blair was told in no uncertain terms that if he converted to Catholicism he would have to resign as Prime Minister.
One of the first things he did after Brown succeeded him was convert.

There is nothing written down to forbid it, but its still very much prohibited.

Besides which, the last thing this country needs is another privileged, entitled self-centred egotist who is as out of touch with the realities of the vast majority of people's lives as can be running the show.

I very much doubt the Tory party, one of the most ruthless election winning machines in the world, would have ever had a leader who could not become PM. If there is no rule there is no rule. Frankly if religion was a bar becoming PM then it would suggest we have far bigger problems than Brexit.

Personally I would love JRM as Tory leader, would pretty much guarantee the Torys loosing the next election unless Labour had someone totally unelectable as leader. Oh....

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

8% is the current polling number for those wanting a second vote.

Again I really don't want to make this thread about a second referendum but I heard Farage make that same claim (while also saying he supports a second vote) but I wonder where he is getting it from. The last poll I saw that asked that exact question was a sky poll that showed 53% support for a second referendum.

Just curious about the source for that figure not looking for a debate.

edit on 15-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

8% is the current polling number for those wanting a second vote. Eight percent of the population are behind a vote and most of those were already remainers. There is another route and that is a Brexit that breaks ALL ties to the EU as it stands. Yes our laws are currently mixed in with the EU but for a short time we can stick to those laws and align our laws with the EU but with time we can continue to move on and allow us to move away from those laws. I'm annoyed that people seem to not realise that No Deal is an option which it is. 29th of March is fast approaching and if a deal cannot be done then we will leave on WTO rules, if people read enough from other sources other than the mainstream rules and government figures you'll see that we are quickly becoming prepared, trucks and lorries will still move with ease, licenses have already been granted and set up and have been for a few weeks, planes will still fly, EU members in the UK will still have their rights and so will the others, trade will continue because countries like France, Germany etc. have already said they would not break trading with the UK and would continue from the 30th it would just be on WTO rules, there would be no break in the supply train.

The plan is simple - We leave on the 29th and go onto WTO rules (which the rest of the world that's roughly 100 odd countries trade on already) and then open up trade talks with the EU just like we would with any other country. The reason I say this is because the EU is prepared to bend rules and break them or out right create rules to make free trade deals with the US, China, Canada etc. and yet are making it super hard to make a deal with the UK. The Irish Border is also a nothing burger, The EU said they will not build one, the Irish have said they will not build one and the UK government has said it will not build one. The EU has said it does not want to fall onto the backstop, the Irish do not want to do it either and neither does the UK, this is a pretend reason to try and over turn it.

Labour only voted it down because they are throwing everything at the wall to try and get a general election, the SNP want to stop Brexit or try to force a second independence vote (even though they want to stay with the EU which means they would have to reapply so they're going from one union to another where they have far less power meaning it isn't independence) at this point Parliament isn't doing what they were ordered to do and it's take us out not on a deal but take us out.

You seem to have mistyped 60 as 8.

www-scotsman-com.cdn.ampproject.org... E%3D&_js_v=a2&_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&share=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scotsman.com%2Fnews%2Fbrexit-huge-poll-shows-60-favour-sec ond-referendum-1-4856748

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Personally I would love JRM as Tory leader, would pretty much guarantee the Torys loosing the next election unless Labour had someone totally unelectable as leader.

HA!

I would love JRM as PM just for the banter we would get out of it in our part of the country buddy.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Jacob Rees-Mogg would be the most boring Prime Minister since John Major. A solid no. God no.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
JRM is quintessentially British.
Exactly what Britain needs.

link   
Hmmmmm.....posted by a Scottish friend of mine on his Facebook page.....

"THIS is pretty big.
The EU Parliament have a Petition Portal which allows EU members to start petitions related to important EU issues.
They have just allowed a new petition asking for EU Parliamentary support for Scotland which would allow Scotland to remain as members of the EU if we vote for Scottish Independence before the conclusion of the Brexit negotiations.
In summary - If successful, this petition would ALLOW Scotland to REMAIN IN THE EU regardless of Brexit (If we vote for Independence before its completion).

Register and Vote now if you'd like the EU to support an Independent Scotland being allowed to stay within the EU despite being "dragged out" by Brexit.

www.new-direction.scot...…/…"

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.....how does remaining in EU grant Scotland its Independence pray tell??? I think I'm more Independent in my beliefs that Scotland can go it completely alone than some of my friends over the border who want out of UK but still tied to the sinking ship that is Brussels! It's a complete contradiction in terms!!!

link   
Catching up, catching up ...

Phouaaaar

Business leaders are unanimous in their dismay at the vote and the prospect of leaving the EU without a deal.

That just can't happen
As much as brexiters may ahem want it
it would destroy the economy

Plain and simple

World trade tariffs applied overnight
goods trucks and container ships stuck at border control for days
Financial transactions being checked and verified...
pharmaceutical products being stalled too

We're looking at a stishstorm without precedent

People are getting very, very worried
people are prepping for a no deal Brexit

I digress ..

I know she's a Tory but she does appear to be a bit more compassionate than your normal, run of the mill Conservative and she has a social conscience.....a rarity in Tories.

Yeah right, you forget the 'Nasty Party in mules' or some such when May was part of the William Hague gvt
It ain't changed !

Vernon Bogdanor, the politics professor and constitutional expert, has told Sky News that he thinks tonight’s vote make a no-deal Brexit more likely than it was.

He pointed out that the Commons has already passed legislation saying the UK will be leaving the EU on 29 March. Holding a second referendum would be very difficult, he said, because the government would have to pass legislation, and Brexiters would “fight it tooth and nail”. He went on:

There are about 40 odd sitting days left till March 29. If no other statute is passed, we leave without a deal. I take the view ... that the vote tonight makes a no-deal departure more likely than a second referendum.

And that, right, there, is the worst scenario
The UK would no longer be part of the EU and so subject to extremely tough controls worthy of very few countries, as things stand

For sure, imports are another thing !
It'd mean open bar for cheap crap

The UK could ignore EU standards for hygene,
production practises, sourcing, sustainability, child labour
what have you ....

Open doors to rubbish produce with limited choices,
products that no other country would rightfully import

Food sovereignety !
A little evoked/taboo subject

Can the brits subsist on a diet of homegrown produce (no, is the answer !) ?
Tubers, cereals, milk products ...
Where will that all come from ?

The UK is incapabable of feeding itself
it must import from outside
and that comes mostly from Europe
edit on 15-1-2019 by Cassi3l because: The hills are alive with the sound of musak

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Sky reporting that up to 100 Labour MPs are to push for a second referendum tomorrow.

Labour calling for a vote of No Confidence in the government is a obvious as it is pathetic , a pox on all their houses.

Let's get that no-deal brexit rolling.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Hmmmmm.....posted by a Scottish friend of mine on his Facebook page.....

"THIS is pretty big.
The EU Parliament have a Petition Portal which allows EU members to start petitions related to important EU issues.
They have just allowed a new petition asking for EU Parliamentary support for Scotland which would allow Scotland to remain as members of the EU if we vote for Scottish Independence before the conclusion of the Brexit negotiations.
In summary - If successful, this petition would ALLOW Scotland to REMAIN IN THE EU regardless of Brexit (If we vote for Independence before its completion).

Register and Vote now if you'd like the EU to support an Independent Scotland being allowed to stay within the EU despite being "dragged out" by Brexit.

www.new-direction.scot...…/…"

Out of the frying pan and into the fire.....how does remaining in EU grant Scotland its Independence pray tell??? I think I'm more Independent in my beliefs that Scotland can go it completely alone than some of my friends over the border who want out of UK but still tied to the sinking ship that is Brussels! It's a complete contradiction in terms!!!

Interesting but wouldn't work I think.

The Scottish government just simply don't have time to to send the electorate to the polls again to vote on independence before 29th of March.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cassi3l

Trade would continue.
The Doomsday predictions didn't work in 2016. They won't now.
The law says we leave the EU at the end of March.

Really, the Sky is not going to fall.
Britain managed to survive, you know, without Brussels for quite some time.

edit on 15/1/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   

60% of Scots. I wasn't talking about a single country in the UK I was talking as a whole. It was all read through this morning and early this afternoon that's where I got the number from. It was by a Tory member on Skynews who said something along the lines: "There just isn't as high a number of people wanting a peoples vote as some believe. Less than ten (looked at something) 8 percent of people are for a peoples vote..."

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

From what I understand, the EU never actually offered you guys a 'deal' in the first place... It was more like a take it or leave it ultimatum.

So now, it's basically a choice of being screwed over by the EU... Or screwing yourselves over, on your own terms.
edit on 15-1-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I would love JRM as PM just for the banter we would get out of it in our part of the country buddy.

I don't think he'd be well received here in the North East either!

a reply to: UKTruth

Exactly what Britain needs.

What, another entitled, privileged, pompous arsehole?

As for a second referendum; depends on what the options are.....Remaining in the EU is simply NOT an option.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Or the power. Under the treaty they would have to get an agreement with Westminster to allow the independence vote to take place and she is already dealing with one independence vote as it is and is trying to stop that from happening so why would she then take on the headache of saying Yes to another SNP forced through vote? Personally I think the vote should be for all of the UK and I really wish Scots would stop pretending it is a vote for Independence when in reality they're just trying to remain in the EU where they will have far less power and end up being a country on par with Greece.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85

60% of Scots. I wasn't talking about a single country in the UK I was talking as a whole. It was all read through this morning and early this afternoon that's where I got the number from. It was by a Tory member on Skynews who said something along the lines: "There just isn't as high a number of people wanting a peoples vote as some believe. Less than ten (looked at something) 8 percent of people are for a peoples vote..."

60% is the UK poll. Scotland was 68%.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
a reply to: Cassi3l

Trade would continue.
The Doomsday predictions didn't work in 2016. They won't now.
The law says we leave the EU at the end of March.

Really, the Sky is not going to fall.
Britain managed to survive, you know, without Brussels for quite some time.

Well of course, since Brexit hasn't happened yet
naturally enough, any doomsday won't manifest itself until then !
(do wake up to simple logic !)

Wait until 'B' day really does happen in '20 or '21
given the 'fourlough' offered by the EU...

Come back then and tell us how rosy it all is then

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

The funny thing is it was skynews that gave me the 8 percent and it was a Tory remainer at the same time.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
This is a train wreck in slow motion. From what I have read in the Guardian, it is thought probable that May will survive a vote of no confidence.

www.theguardian.com...

If May holds on, what will her next steps be?

She begins to dance around some form of plan B. May said she would immediately start talks with both Tories and people in other parties “in a constructive spirit” to seek a deal that could win the support of the Commons. Any ideas must be “genuinely negotiable and have sufficient support in this house”, she said, in a warning to MPs hoping to push a personal or unrealistic Brexit vision.

A "deal that would win the support of the Commons" has one major defect, it will not be the deal that the EU has agreed to and which the EU says cannot be changed, except cosmetically.

This leads us down the long winding road to a "No Deal Brexit" on March 29th, which is unacceptable to the majority of MPs.

The EU will not extend the time for implementation of Article 50, i.e., Britain's exit from the EU without some substantial reason to do so.

May does not want to go to the people for a second referendum or "People's vote".

There is no appetite to replace May that has any breadth of support.

This is a (T&C prohibited term) mess.
edit on 15-1-2019 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

EU never actually offered you guys a 'deal' in the first place...

They did it just wasn't a very good deal.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join