It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: bilbous

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
a reply to: Tortuga

Does a vote of no confidence not need to pass though with a 2/3 majority anyway under the fixed terms parliament act?

No a majority of 1 will suffice. Callaghan in 1979 lost it 310-311 and parliament was dissolved by the Queen.

Yeah but the law changed a few years ago with the Fixed term parliament act in 2011.

I am not 100% sure am just thinking that I had read before that it needed a 2/3rds vote to pass.

AM sure if that was the case it would be on the TV just now and its not but I was just asking.

edit on 15-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Well I could start talking about a man called Robert Mercer or another dude called Arron Banks then we could start talking about Cambridge Analytica, then get into Russia and we could go on all day getting into a very off-topic debate that I think could get a little heated.

Sounds like the kind of debate that could bring the whole thing into focus for us on this side. I myself never understood the whole lets vote again thing unless the results were seriously in question.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

The Globalists are gunning hard to separate us...

I agree
Seems brexit was not in their plans

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Well at least words like ""national emergency"" are beginning to diminish, but Trump's toys are still out the pram.

This world is mental by design really.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

"The Globalists are gunning hard to separate us"

That's because we all live on one.

The Information age somewhat retards this separatist attitude, silly walls don't help matters nether.

But i digress i suppose, anyways evil Brexit, nasty Tories, inept Labour, and all that jazz.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

not so fast...

“A big new Caravan is heading up to our Southern Border from Honduras. Tell Nancy and Chuck that a drone flying around will not stop them. Only a Wall will work,” Trump tweeted Tuesday, referring to Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority leader Chuck Schumer.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

"A big new Caravan is heading up to our Southern Border from Honduras."

Is this the one?.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I just done some checking there is not a requirement for a two thirds majority during a no confidence vote of government, the two thirds rule only applies when parliament is calling for a early general election such as May done back in 2017. If it passes there is then a 14 day period where parliament can form a new government after which a general election has to be called. May has said she would not stand in the 2020 election so its fair then to assume she wouldn't stand in the next potential election which could mean that the Conservative party go into a general election is going to do it without Mays leadership.

So yeah, this would literally take a small handful of rebel conservative MPs to vote for it and she could find her self out of a job.

Tomorrow could be interesting lads!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RP2SticksOfDynamite

originally posted by: Tortuga
May has until Monday to comer up with a plan B. If/when she loses.

What could plan B possibly be though?
It should be LEAVE as directed by the people with No Deal! Anything else is treasonous by those in Parliament who prevent that happening!

Well that is your opinion there is another opinion held by many that would argue that there are other options.
No there ain't if you want to honour the vote LEAVE of the people (deal or no deal)!! Have you forgot we are a democracy and the Magna Carta!

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

could be
they are resourceful people
hopefully their paperwork is in order

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga
May has until Monday to comer up with a plan B. If/when she loses.

What could plan B possibly be though?
It should be LEAVE as directed by the people with No Deal! Anything else is treasonous by those in Parliament who prevent that happening!

Well that is your opinion there is another opinion held by many that would argue that there are other options.
No there ain't if you want to honour the vote LEAVE of the people (deal or no deal)!! Have you forgot we are a democracy and the Magna Carta!

I 100% understand that there are very good arguments against a second referendum so I respect your opinion that its not the right way forward.

Now I happen to hold a different view but like I have said several times I don't really want to get into a debate about a second referendum because this thread is really more about this vote thats been had this evening.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You won't get a no confidence vote, so that's a pipe dream. At this stage at least.

Corbyn is playing high politics with the UK at the minute. I suspect he does not really want an election because many of his voters went for Brexit, and Labour seem to be helping stop it. Further, there's no evidence he would be able to manage Brexit any better than the current lot.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bilbous

a reply to: Tortuga

Does a vote of no confidence not need to pass though with a 2/3 majority anyway under the fixed terms parliament act?

No a majority of 1 will suffice. Callaghan in 1979 lost it 310-311 and parliament was dissolved by the Queen.

Yeah but the law changed a few years ago with the Fixed term parliament act in 2011.

I am not 100% sure am just thinking that I had read before that it needed a 2/3rds vote to pass.

AM sure if that was the case it would be on the TV just now and its not but I was just asking.

The 2/3 majority is for calling an early election. The motion of no confidence is just a majority vote so May needs 318 to keep the Conservatives in power.
edit on 1512019 by bilbous because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: paraphi

You won't get a no confidence vote, so that's a pipe dream. At this stage at least.

Well we are getting a vote of no confidence its happening. Tomorrow, 7pm.

Now I actually don't really think its the best idea.

Corbyn is historically pro-brixit and Labour are pro-EU when you look at what came out at their party conference. I think his ideal situation would be for him to come to power and to negotiate a deal with the EU that keeps the UK in the common market place with some other guarantees.
edit on 15-1-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

link   
Hmm, another disappointment in store.
With the ERG and DUP backing the government I think the no confidence vote will fail.
The only hope for defeating the government seems to lie with the Tory remainers who must feel like any future deal will be softer, so why would they vote against May?

link   
a reply to: bilbous

yeah I posted exactly that further up I went an rechecked it all.

link   
OtherSideOfTheCoin said;

"Conservative party go into a general election is going to do it without Mays leadership. "

Does that open the way for old Boris to get in I wonder.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   

No, that's the vehicle I've just ordered online to get me the hell out of this country for a few months / years!

edit on 15/1/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The historic defeat of Theresa May's plan to hand over Britain to the EU in a sham Brexit deal should result in her resignation, but she has decided to annoy the nation even more. She's so bad she has actually managed to unite an entire nation of people who line up on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Please, resign.

We are back to square one.
The People's vote was to leave the EU.
Now the next step must be to quickly determine how we leave - completely leave.

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Either way, what credibility has May and her administration got now?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join